Psychotic (Demo Released UPDATE)

Tell us about the 001 game you're working on. Show us screenshots. Discuss, promote and share games with others.
Forum rules
If you would like to post about your game, make sure to include screenshots and a long, well-written, thorough description.

Please be positive and understand that not everyone is skilled at using Map001. Games that are similar to other games, or fan games using commercial games' art are perfectly acceptable.

This forum section is dedicated to the discussion of games made with Map001 only.

You must upload your games to above games section of site. Outside links for games are forbidden in this section.
RPGking
001 Forum Master

Psychotic (Demo Released UPDATE)

Postby RPGking » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:15 pm

"A man can only be pushed so far until he breaks..."

STORY: You have been locked in the Asylum for 6 years... framed for the murder of your wife and kids.
One night, everything feels different as you sit in your cell. You feel an urge to break loose, although common these urges of yours were, this on felt different... you hear lightning outside, it acts as a signal to your urge.
You snap, become feral, the beast within you has finally escaped and now its time to exact revenge! You must
find the man who framed you, and take him out of the picture with a smile...

GRAPHICS: Highly textured environments add a very gritty, almost psychotic feel to the game. the games lighting also serves as the main attraction for many environments...

WEAPONS & COMBAT: Brutal combat and add's to the tension of this game. Combat will be very visceral and guttural. Blood runs and splatters realistically. When someone is hurt, their character model changes to reflect the damage done. I think the combat will be one of the main attractions to the game. Weaponry is another thing, there will not be ranged weapons or firearms. It takes away fro the feel of the game makes it too easy.
Instead, here is a couple weapons you'll be fighting with...

BASE-BALL BAT
FIRE-AXE
WOOD BOARD
SLEDGE-HAMMER

And many other weapons. The weapon that can be found in the game are amazing, mostly all weapons can be ripped out of the environment! Need a weapon against a guard, pull a wood plank from the wall. In the bathroom, cannot find a weapon, use a toilet seat.

FEEL: The game will have a VERY DISTURBING feel to it, by this I mean no nudity etc. I want it so you feel like your apart of a different world when you play. One of hopelessness, one of sorrow and anguish. Lighting contributes to this with almost pitch black levels. (later on there will be a flashlight to aid you.)

NOTES: If there are any updates, I will post them here. ;)
Added screens.
Added a new weapons set.
Demo Out! :D
There si a new weapon in game, it's a revolver, it's the most powerful weapon in the game, but it suffers from lack of accuracy.
Attachments
3.PNG
This is in front of the Asylum.(nevermind the greenish tint of the screenie, it's my monitor, its messed up)
2.PNG
This is a part of the Asylum that has intentionally been blocked so you have to take an alternate path...maybe someone wants to lure you somehwere.(nevermind the greenish tint of the screenie, it's my monitor, its messed up)
1.PNG
You, inside of your cell. (nevermind the greenish tint of the screenie, it's my monitor, its messed up)
Last edited by RPGking on Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:25 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Lord Cohliani
Ultimate 001 Member

Re: Psychotic

Postby Lord Cohliani » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:00 pm

It definetly sounds nice, but it'll be very hard to create the many animations you'll need to make it good. I think it'll be hard to do but I wish you luck.

RPGking
001 Forum Master

Postby RPGking » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:39 am

The running blood animations and wall blood splatter system are doe. The wall blood splatter system is simply, if the enemy is near a wall, thanks to a comparison branch and a zone, the blood will splatter on the wall and run down. It's turning out very nice.

Ammohead
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Ammohead » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:41 am

Sounds fun and creative. ;)
"Life can get hard, but what I've learned is that, it gets better...Far better. Fall down, become wounded, and you'll be immune to the next situation. Hardtimes are like a pistol, you throw out one and another is right back in the chamber" -Timmy (Ammo)

RPGking
001 Forum Master

Postby RPGking » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:24 pm

Thank you. UPDATE: I completed a new set of weapons...

The weapons are:
TOILET SEAT
BRICK
CROWBAR
CHAIR (breaks after one use)
TIRE IRON

Ammohead
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Ammohead » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:46 pm

Awesome. :D
"Life can get hard, but what I've learned is that, it gets better...Far better. Fall down, become wounded, and you'll be immune to the next situation. Hardtimes are like a pistol, you throw out one and another is right back in the chamber" -Timmy (Ammo)

RPGking
001 Forum Master

Re: Psychotic (with screenies)

Postby RPGking » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:02 pm

Who likes the screens.

Ammohead
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Ammohead » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:24 pm

Me and thats a 9+ game. :D

RPGking
001 Forum Master

Postby RPGking » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:58 pm

Thank you very much. I think it'll get at least an 8, because it has a strong story element and most of the games story is told through short cinematic sequences. But for those who think they can hack and slash, they are horribly wrong, fighting against more than one enemy is not recommended. :D You will die.

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Zhuge » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:26 pm

Too dark, can't see.

RPGking
001 Forum Master

Postby RPGking » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:32 pm

The bottom one is the darkest, my bad, the top 2 you should be able to see. :D

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:05 am

As requested by RPG, here's my 4 cents worth:
    Plotline - Simple, but potent. A bit of development in how the asylum changes you could make the game a killer, as well as emotion (mainly hatred) which can be fully exploited to give the sinister feel maximum potency.

Graphics - Overall dark feel, could use more objects and detail to fully portray the negativity. Maybe a few damaged walls, and signs of dilapidation.

Scripting - By far, a potential God of War-esque blood splatter style, and highly interesting. You can try working on the death frames to get multiple ways to disembowel your enemies. Yes, it's hard, but if you can achieve all the gutsy stuff I think your game can revolutionize the action sector of 001 gaming. Might want to consider a rage system as well, since you're pretty insane, where you move faster and hit harder when you're low on health, at the cost of defence.

Items - Savages don't need to be limited to melee weapons; perhaps you can obtain something that packs a greater punch along the way; brass knuckles or maybe a bit of firepower? After all, one guy's on your hitlist, obviously even for an insane person, you won't just want to take an armed man on with a nail board.

Enemies - You're a psychotic, so it's highly likely you're as vulnerable as the next guy. Violent brawls are expected, but note that you'll be dead in a few hits. On the plus side, so will they. If you can script a highly graphic one-on-one brawl, perhaps with certain features such as attack blocking or dodging, that would be really great.
I don't often say this, but although there's much to do, you've got potential, m0n.
"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

Apocalypse I Act I: //////////////////// - 25% Done, Demo v0.3
AVAILABLE: http://www.engine001.com/games/Apocalypse+I+-+Act+I_601.htm
Please play through the full game, or PM me for hints and easter eggs.

The M4 Team Salutes You.

RPGking
001 Forum Master

Postby RPGking » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:11 am

Thank you very much MIV.

The combat will be a bloodbath. death animations I am working on. But the weapons and enemies are just like you, it's all a very real experience. There will be sessions where the screen will divulge and dilute to simulate a physcotic episode, making you stronger. Enemies have 100 HP, you have only about 75, I did this puposley so the player wouldn't engage one of 2 enemies at once. The game focuses on realism as well. I am very grateful for your review of this, thank you MIV.

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Re: Psychotic (with screenies, demo release today)

Postby Zhuge » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:42 pm

Oo, that's a little bit better. I like the textures you used.

Fireleaf
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Fireleaf » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:12 pm

Looks pretty crazy. I may try it out.
Hey, I compose custom music for games (for free). PM me about it.

Tales of Northeta:
http://www.engine001.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22467&p=349875#p349875

Sunbreak City:
http://www.engine001.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21483

Shmallow World (tentative progress)
Shmalloween (2010)
Attack-or-Treat
Gongo Warrior

RPGking
001 Forum Master

Postby RPGking » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:29 pm

I'm putting the download up in a bit, please note the comments about the Asylum, thats pretty much the tutorial level, you will explore other environments as well.

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Re: Psychotic (Demo Released)

Postby MIV » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:28 am

Played it. Nice dark feel overall, but character's looks are a bit clashing. Maybe a more greyish, dull skin tone to fit in.
HUD is terrible, IMO. Off where it's supposed to be on maximised windows. Don't forget to check those maintain distance from edge thingies, and add a few more holders.
You spelled Asylum wrongly. :D
Oh, and major error. The fences are walk-through, and you can sink into the grass in the first map. Uncheck the tile submerge things.
Nice baseball bat, but display image is whitish. As usual, crates are walk-through in second map.
Oh, I like the blood effects, could use more bloodspray, but nonetheless nice. Maybe a darker blood shading too.
One of your guards has a weapon that attacks fast enough for you to be killed in less than a second, maybe it's a bug or a badly designed weapon with no hold frames, but either way get that out of there.
That's all I've played up to, but I like your BGM choice and your background design. Keep working on it, though, sounds promising.
Overall: 6.4/10
"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

Apocalypse I Act I: //////////////////// - 25% Done, Demo v0.3
AVAILABLE: http://www.engine001.com/games/Apocalypse+I+-+Act+I_601.htm
Please play through the full game, or PM me for hints and easter eggs.

The M4 Team Salutes You.

RPGking
001 Forum Master

Re: Psychotic (Demo Released)

Postby RPGking » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:07 pm

Thank you. About the grass, there was no grass on first map, just leaves and stuff, I added blocks were the fences were and everything so you were supposed to stay on the path, the submerge thing was I think the water under the path. The crates do not have collision, one of the things I forgot. Sorry. The guards I'll fix. I'm working on the blood. I haven't made the item icon for the baseball bat yet. But since this was a demo, the next version will be bug free. The HUD is purposely like that because I don't want it to clutter. I am making a new holder though. I added if you look really closely at the screens, all charcatrs have drawn wrinkles in their shirts, I will work on that clash. Than you for you review MIV. :D

Ammohead
Insane 001 Forum Member

Re: Psychotic (Demo Released, Should I Continue Work)

Postby Ammohead » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:34 pm

Felt like I was playing a console game. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Ammohead voted 8. Still shocked. keep up that great work mang.
Just edit the charactor to fit the dark mood.

RPGking
001 Forum Master

Postby RPGking » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:37 pm

I am working on the new demo and all bugs have been fixed, I will probably redo the character sprites for the next demo as well. I ahve a question for all of yall, should I continue working on this game, not many people seem to be interested in it...

Ammohead
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Ammohead » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Yes continue. :)

RPGking
001 Forum Master

Postby RPGking » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:43 pm

I guess I will, but I'm still not %100. Thanks for playing and rating man, appreciate it. ;)

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Zhuge » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:33 pm

Continue it. It was aight.

RPGking
001 Forum Master

Postby RPGking » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:37 am

Since my 2 closest friends said too, I will. Check the 1st page for an update. :D

Return to Games In Progress