CPU and Memory Utilization

Have any questions or problems in making your game, subscribing and/or using our software? Post here.
Forum rules
Make sure you are using the newest version. This can be downloaded at the top of the site via the "downloads" link.

Use a very good subject. "Problem" or "Help" are unacceptable titles.

Use the search feature before posting a question, as the answer is probably already here.

Subscript out of range error 9: This is a generic error, and we'll need way more information than that to figure out the problem. If you get this, strongly consider following the instructions of submitting your project through the Submit Bug feature within the editor.
photocyte

CPU and Memory Utilization

Postby photocyte » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:16 am

Hi,

No matter what I do, I get a minimum of ~15% CPU usage with 96MB RAM for anything I run: the ARPG demo, even a new empty game.

I have a i7-4770k (not overclocked) with 32GB, and a GTX960

As a point of comparison on my PC, Undertale runs at ~2% of CPU and 280MB RAM
Another game engine (Clickteam) runs a basic 640x480 ~2% with 8MB RAM

Has anyone seen this before?

thebluejester
001 Enthusiast

Re: CPU and Memory Utilization

Postby thebluejester » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:48 pm

Out of curiosity which OS are you using? Is this 001 running in Windows or like Linux with WINE?

Have you tried a game that doesn't use the default assets?
I imagine that's where the 96mb of ram is coming from/why it's remained the same.

photocyte

Postby photocyte » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:45 pm

So I created an empty project which didn't have any assets and still got that number.

Although I'm not worried much about the memory too much, it's really the CPU use that concerns me.

thebluejester
001 Enthusiast

Postby thebluejester » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:00 am

So running Windows then?

Does your CPU dynamically clock itself? It could be giving different Utilization % at different clock speeds. Like 15% at 1Ghz Vs 2% at 2.4Ghz.
Is the editor running at the same time or just the complied game? Test that?

Mr.Numbers
001 Support

Postby Mr.Numbers » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:45 am

I know 001 has some certain optimizations, and if I recall correctly, one lately that increases CPU usage but dramatically improves response time. Only thing is I can't remember if this was an editor optimization, a game optimization, or both.

Honestly the only person who is suited to answer this question is Mike.
I AM THE ALL MIGHTY SCRIPTING MASTER
Please do not PM me with Engine 001 related questions, rather post on the forums. ;)

thebluejester
001 Enthusiast

Postby thebluejester » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:28 am

I was hoping I could get as much information out as possible and then somone from the 001 team could give a proper answer. Haha.
Thanks Mr Numbers :)

Re that recent optimisation you can check the patch/release notes if you're interested photocyte.
I agree that CPU usage that high is a bit concerning, I'm worried about the impact on HTML5... Wish I had an old version to compare with.

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:59 am

What exactly is the concern here? Are you running into any specific problems or are you just worried about problems in the future?

photocyte

Postby photocyte » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:49 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Mike, my concern is that as features are added the CPU usage will grow in an undesired manner. Say, for example, I have a huge map. Sure, the resources don't load until they are within X range, but how much CPU will the loader use? How many objects with fine collision can I have onscreen without tanking the CPU? Those kinds of concerns.

Thanks!

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:08 pm

I guess that's my point. CPU usage is not a good gauge of performance. You're best to monitor the framerate and other factors, which can be viewed in the stats debugger when playing your game.

You have no reason to be concerned. We're always here to help and if there's a really slow map in your game, all you have to do is send in your project for us to analyze. We can either make concrete suggestions or improve code in the engine.

So like I said, worry about it when there's an actual problem. And take a close look at the performance tips on our wiki for all of our recommendations: http://engine001.com/wiki/performance

photocyte

Postby photocyte » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:25 am

Okay man, sounds good. I appreciate all the feedback.

Return to Technical Support Questions