Contention

Tell us about the 001 game you're working on. Show us screenshots. Discuss, promote and share games with others.
Forum rules
If you would like to post about your game, make sure to include screenshots and a long, well-written, thorough description.

Please be positive and understand that not everyone is skilled at using Map001. Games that are similar to other games, or fan games using commercial games' art are perfectly acceptable.

This forum section is dedicated to the discussion of games made with Map001 only.

You must upload your games to above games section of site. Outside links for games are forbidden in this section.
IshChris

Contention

Postby IshChris » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:08 am

Hey guys, for Contention I'm using 001's point and click to plot out, and create a lengthy game with a rich story.

About description:
I hope to make this game easily stand out among 001 by using a unique art style, making sure the campaign doesn't drag on or grow dull, and most importantly i hope to appeal to the classic PaC crowd, and those who don't enjoy PaC games as much.
I aim to put mass attention into this game, both in detail and audio.
Ditching the sprites, and having characters, this PaC will go more classic, in the sense of click on your direction, and the next area will load, but by doing so i have enabled myself to make more rich, animated scenes.

Actual game description:
"The year is 34xx, Human kind is near extinction, a fate wrought only by the life they had created
with their very own hands. With the worlds resources dry, the production of a new "oil" called Cerlain-9 began. Cerlain-9, Being the only form of energy left to build and further technology had now become scarce.
A resource necessary, war followed for control over these resources. Few nations held Generators of Cerlain-9, Which flowed in endless Cerlain-9. These nations had become the
powerhouses, furthering in technology far faster than the other nations, which were plagued with civil wars for resources.
The player, being thrown into one of these factions will explore a vast story following quests for power, and the downfall as power fades"

Example/Screenshot:
You can't see that it's animated.. but win some, lose some.

Updates:
Squad Mate (Image)
Attachments
vcb.jpg
Other squad mate
vcb.jpg
Squad mate
Untitled.png
Last edited by IshChris on Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Not Me
001 Subscriber

Re: Contention

Postby Not Me » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:04 am

That looks and sounds pretty awesome, although I would reccomend making a custom message box border/background. The default bright blue may interfere with the mood of the story.
The above image is totally not a link to my website.

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:13 am

Not Me wrote:That looks and sounds pretty awesome, although I would reccomend making a custom message box border/background. The default bright blue may interfere with the mood of the story.

Agreed. Go black.

I'm interested to see how this goes.

IshChris

Postby IshChris » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:40 am

Thanks guys, i definitely agree with your suggestions on the colour change.
I'm trying to decide whether i want the camera to include your character(Yeah, third person but not EXACTLY like Gears of War (as an example), or go first person...
i feel third would be way cooler..
(included a screenie of the main character)
Attachments
yay.png

Not Me
001 Subscriber

Postby Not Me » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:07 am

I think I'd like it either way, although I feel like I'd prefer first person. It depends on what you want the gameplay to be like, though. If you want something similar to King's Quest, for example, you should use a third-person camera.
The above image is totally not a link to my website.

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:13 am

Do first person. I don't think it's been done before on 001 for one thing, and I'm already making a third person pnc adventure. Not that it really matters that I'm already making one, but it would add variety to the games here.

I personally like first person adventure games more than the third person. It feels more immersive and more interactive. Take Dogday for example. When it came out in 1998 I was absolutely blown away, and I still am when I play it. Even though 001 is still far from a realistic FPS engine, it is more than capable of producing great first person gameplay and I'd love to see it happen.

miroki123
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby miroki123 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:25 pm

Looks interesting.
Since it's basically a text game, first person would fit best. Unless it was an adventure game where you could see the main character walking around.
If you haven't tried out yet, check out my full game Voyage for Vengeance.
If you did but you're stuck, don't worry, there's a walkthrough available!

For those about to rock, we salute you.

IshChris

Postby IshChris » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:24 pm

-New character image added to first post

I really wanna make a short intro demo just so you guys can get an idea of what i mean.. but i don't want to make it half assed so it's taking me awhile..

The further i develop this, the more it becomes a text based adventure...
Last edited by IshChris on Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Automatically merged double post.

Return to Games In Progress