Sharpened Steel.

For completed games made with 001.
Eclectic gaming
001 Admirer

Sharpened Steel.

Postby Eclectic gaming » Sun May 26, 2013 9:06 am

Preview of Rpg.jpg
Hey there, I've just released the Beta for my game, Sharpened Steel. It's my first attempt at making a game, and it still isn't quite finished. It's an action RPG set in the world of Stratom. You can complete quests, interact with hundreds of characters, and explore different environments. Like I said, it's still not finished, and there will most likely be more than a few rough edges, which is why I've put it up for beta testing. If you're going to rate it, please leave some constructive criticism, as I can't improve things from a mindless rant. If you want to ask any questions, just post them here, and I'll answer them.

-Rhys.

EDIT: It's no longer in Beta, so most glitches should be fixed. The full release will probably be ready in a few weeks, so keep your eyes peeled.
Last edited by Eclectic gaming on Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

matty513

Re: Sharpened Steel.

Postby matty513 » Tue May 28, 2013 4:14 pm

The firs thing for you to do is remove security risks. I have Norton and the file is removed instantly as it is unsafe to use. If you address this issue i will continue to review the rest of the game. By the way i am the same person as on Yahoo so consider by ownership proposition.

Not Me
001 Subscriber

Postby Not Me » Tue May 28, 2013 11:59 pm

I don't think anything he did caused security issues, I think your antivirus is being a bit overprotective.
The above image is totally not a link to my website.

Eclectic gaming
001 Admirer

Postby Eclectic gaming » Wed May 29, 2013 2:00 am

Hey there, I'm not sure why it is alerting your anti-virus, but it really shouldn't. It is made using files only from 001engine. It may be that it sees it as an "untrusted download" which is common in some computers, but I assure you that it contains nothing malicious and you can hit the "Trust" button.

Hope I helped. :)
Google Eclectic Gaming....I dare you. Or Sharpened Steel, you can google that too. Hehehehe.

eclectic-gaming.weebly.com/

Rico
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Rico » Wed May 29, 2013 4:17 pm

It's looking good though if I had any suggestions it's be to make the text and message box better colours because sometimes t's hard to read :)

Eclectic gaming
001 Admirer

Postby Eclectic gaming » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:54 am

Yeah, I didn't like the original blue colour for the text box so I made it that colour =/ not a brilliant idea, so I'm now working on changing that.

500 Downloads! Thanks to everybody who downloaded it, the full version will be out soon, with the completed storyline and more. I never thought it would do this well, so thanks again to everybody. IndieRPGs even did an article on sharpened steel! I would give you the link but you can't do that on these forums :( but if you want to read it just google "Indie RPGs Sharpened Steel" or something like that.

PS: or you can just look at the screen shot, (I didn't think of that before)

Version 0.5 now out! Includes house buying, more quests, collectibles and more! Hope you enjoy! :lol:

Forums... wut r u doin

Forums...stahp merging my posts

Forums...STAHP!
Last edited by Eclectic gaming on Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:13 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Automatically merged double post.
Google Eclectic Gaming....I dare you. Or Sharpened Steel, you can google that too. Hehehehe.

gerardred
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby gerardred » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:36 am

Nice ! But HUD Could Be Improved :D :)

Eclectic gaming
001 Admirer

Postby Eclectic gaming » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:57 am

Thanks, :lol: and I know the HUD is pretty plain, but I'm not particularly good at working with interfaces, but i'll try and spice it up a bit if I can.

And at long last, I'm nearing the end of Sharpened Steel, the full version is almost prepped and ready, and the only things left to do are to sand off the rough edges.

How do I do that? Well I'll need all of you guys' help. Download the current version and tell me what you liked, what you hated, and what you want. I know the comments on the game are closed right now, but I'll open them again soon. Don't hold back. I've learnt to take criticism and improve from it. Anything is appreciated. Thank you in advance, if anybody knows what makes a good 001 game, it's you guys. :)

gerardred
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby gerardred » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:05 am

Found a bug, stuck at here
bug.PNG

Eclectic gaming
001 Admirer

Postby Eclectic gaming » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:14 am

Hmm, thats odd, you mean you're stuck there and can't move? Or your stuck on that map?

Edit: Yeah, I've been able to recreate that glitch, I can't think what on earth caused it. I'll try and get it fixed for the next version though.

Edit2: If you want to escape the glitch, press shift to jump out
Last edited by Eclectic gaming on Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Automatically merged double post.

gerardred
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby gerardred » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:32 am

You can just put block on the sea
Last edited by gerardred on Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eclectic gaming
001 Admirer

Postby Eclectic gaming » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:57 am

I would just get rid of the sea completely, but it plays a part later on in the game.

Anyway, I'm fairly certain the fault is with the engine and the submersion bit on the tile-sets editor, I'll submit a bug report and hopefully it will be fixed :)

gerardred
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby gerardred » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:58 am

Good idea :)

creativeminds
001 Enthusiast

Postby creativeminds » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:51 pm

Yeah, I have the same problem. Anytime that there is submersion my character gets stuck in it.
000000000000000000000000000000000000100000111111000001100001011000000000001110 001110 010110 100011 011010 000000001111010110 0111011000

Eclectic gaming
001 Admirer

Postby Eclectic gaming » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:31 pm

Like I said before, I'm fairly certain this bug is with the engine and not on my end. I have sent a bug report and I hope it will be fixed for the next update, so don't despair.

Like I mentioned earlier, if you happen to find yourself in the glitch, just press SHIFT to jump out until it's fixed. :?

gerardred
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby gerardred » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:48 am

Had an issue with shop interface

Eclectic gaming
001 Admirer

Postby Eclectic gaming » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:31 pm

I'm aware of this issue, that the box in the shop interface appears outside the border, but I cannot figure out what is causing this behaviour, in the interface menu it looks fine, but as soon as it comes to gameplay it looks odd. I'll come up with a solution ASAP however, so hopefully it will be fixed for the next version.

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:07 pm

Might be the edging option isn't set the same for the border as it is for the background - this was an issue for a little while in the built-in ones.

Eclectic gaming
001 Admirer

Postby Eclectic gaming » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:26 am

The full version of Sharpened Steel is now out! The game is completed, but it will still be updated from time to time. I can now rest, and thanks to all of you who provided feedback and support. You can download it on the 001 website.

At the end of the game, there is a credits section. I have listed some of you in the Special Thanks area, if you have any problems and want to be taken off the section, just tell me. And if I forgot you and I need to put you on the Special Thanks, just tell me.

Special Thanks to: Mike Weir (for the engine) Samulis (for resources) gerardred (for feedback) Danny (for feedback) mm001 (For resources) mistergeorge (for feedback) And the engine001 community.

Oh, and how do I get this moved to the completed games section?

Thanks.

gerardred
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby gerardred » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:20 am

You can pm Zhuge to get it moved

Eclectic gaming
001 Admirer

Postby Eclectic gaming » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:34 pm

Been a while since this thread has been updated, and I think I finally have enough news to constitute an update!

Sharpened Steel has received many updates since I last posted, and a shed load of new features come with these updates. Too many to list or remember, so if you're curious, why not check out the latest version?
I've created an IndieDB page for Sharpened Steel, which includes interesting news and downloads for Sharpened Steel. Unfortunately, the forums won't allow me to link you to the page, but hopefully it shouldn't be too difficult to find.
And lastly, Sharpened Steel has been granted the 100% clean award by Softpedia. This means that Sharpened Steel contains absolutely no malware whatsoever, if you were ever in doubt. Once again, I cannot link you to the page due to forum restrictions, but Sharpened Steel can also be found on the Softpedia website, along with its 100% clean tag.

I guess that's all the latest news, and I hope you check out the latest updates! :)

Return to Completed Games