NEW: 001 Video Tutorials

New version and premium template announcements for 001.
Forum rules
The release date of the next version is completely unknown. Predictions are sometimes mentioned around the site, but they're always inaccurate. We're doing this for fun, so we enjoy not having deadlines.

Due to lack of time, feature requests and suggestions are currently not being taken by non-subscribers at this time.

Creating topics in this forum section has been disabled. If you would like to post questions concerning GG Maker, please post in the appropriate support forum.
Lee
001 Support

NEW: 001 Video Tutorials

Postby Lee » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:59 am

Updates coming soon!
Last edited by Lee on Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:50 am, edited 7 times in total.
Lee - 001 Community Manager

Mr.Numbers
001 Support

Re: 001 Video Tutorials - Feedback

Postby Mr.Numbers » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:44 pm

I spy with my little eye, my projects :P haha

Anyways its not bad - youtube kept glitching out for me at around 5 minutes though.. (The video would skip to the end :()
I AM THE ALL MIGHTY SCRIPTING MASTER
Please do not PM me with Engine 001 related questions, rather post on the forums. ;)

Deedasmi
001 Forum Master

Postby Deedasmi » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:53 pm

Off topic and spam: Not for on topic program related videos.

Mr.Numbers
001 Support

Postby Mr.Numbers » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:00 pm

Moved it to General 001 Discussions - As this is probably where it should be :P
I AM THE ALL MIGHTY SCRIPTING MASTER
Please do not PM me with Engine 001 related questions, rather post on the forums. ;)

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Postby Tabula Rasa » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:22 am

Hey, would you mind adding this video to the ModDB page? It needs some more activity.
You don't need to be an admin, anyone can post a video or a picture.

http://www.moddb.com/engines/001-game-creator

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:21 am

We're trying to get it a bit cleaned up. They'll eventually become the official ones if they become up to snuff ;).

Lee
001 Support

Postby Lee » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:26 pm

I'm currently working on the revised version and hope to have that up sometime in the next few days but I wanted to see what you guys thought about the idea of including reference files with each tutorial? So after I create a tutorial I'll zip up the project folder with installation instructions so users can download and play around with the actual project I was working on in case they were unable to re-create it from watching the video. Do you guys think that's a good idea or not?

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:28 pm

I really don't recommend that at all - it'd be most ideal to follow the already provided tutorials, and/or use the already included demos and samples. It also doesn't ensure everything is self-contained within the web-site.

2cool4me4
001 Subscriber

Postby 2cool4me4 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:09 pm

I can hear a high-pitched ring whenever you are talking-you may want to check your Windows recording settings, go into effects, and disable "acoustic noise cancellation" or the like.
Once you have mastered the :usevalue:, you are a truly awesome 001er.

Lee
001 Support

Postby Lee » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:27 pm

Can anyone else hear a high-pitched ringing sound in the video? :?

Gamerdude
001 Support

Postby Gamerdude » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:29 pm

Yeah a little.

Lee
001 Support

Postby Lee » Wed May 01, 2013 2:24 pm

Just listened to it with my headphones on and I can hear it now. I'll see if I can flush that out when I redo it. Thanks you two :)

EDIT: I've found the problem. The noise is coming from my fan on my computer, the noise removal removed most of it but some of it was left behind which is causing the high pitched noise.

EDIT 2: The video has been re-recorded. Check the first post to see the new video, NOW! :P

serrafina
001 Forum Master

Postby serrafina » Fri May 03, 2013 11:39 pm

Ask Mike for my first video that I created. He has it in his drop box with me. After you watch, I'll explain where I think you need to work on. That way I don't have to overtly explain everything but show you what could grasp the audience's attention. :]

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Sat May 04, 2013 2:14 am

Here's my suggestion.

First of all, the tutorial was great. Everything was demonstrated and explained clearly and simply, the way it should be. But my problem with it lies within the overall time frame of the video and the amount of stuff covered, and I know most people have the same gripe. People these days are too A.D.D. to sit through even a ten minute video. A better approach would be to make a series of much shorter videos. You could make an entire series of 2-3 minute videos based on the stuff covered in the one long video. It's much more appealing to the casual game designer who wants to jump right in, but feels intimidated when they see a video longer than their attention span will allow them to watch all the way through.

For example:
Code: Select all
001 - Learning the Basics
Video 1 - Using tilesets and creating your first map
Video 2 - Actors and Sprites
Video 3 - Interfaces

You get the idea. Then you can do more advanced categories for stuff like advanced scripting, resource creation, collections, tables etc, with the emphasis on it being in chunks and not just one big video. That's also helpful because indexing individual parts allows for people to pick and choose what they want to learn about and not have to absorb it all at one time.

Another nice benefit to doing it in small parts is if the videos were to be monetized, there's way more money to be earned in multiple videos than one single video. You are more likely to get more views on a shorter video anyway. So not only will you get more views, you will get more ad time with more videos. Win-win.

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Sat May 04, 2013 9:14 am

The end idea would be to include in 001, so monetizing it wouldn't be a really big goal. And having ads up on tutorial videos is a bit annoying. I'm nearly ready to remove all ads from 001 web-site and software, to be honest.

I, however, totally agree it's still a bit too long. If you made things in little chunks, we could even have them linked in with the beginner tutorial. And on top of that, we could have them as "nuggets" you can click on when you first start the program.

Lee
001 Support

Postby Lee » Sat May 04, 2013 10:47 am

I like the nugget idea! :D Alright then I'll break them up into smaller, bite sized tutorials that cover a specific topic. Using the built-in beginners tutorial as a guide I've concluded that these will be the first tutorials I'll be making:

Code: Select all
#01 - Building your first map
#02 - Create an NPC that talks
#03 - Creating a shop
#04 - Creating an inn
#05 - Connecting two maps together
#06 - Changing how the main character looks
#07 - Making your first quest
#08 - Creating tile-sets
#09 - Creating sprites
#10 - Adding custom music

I'd appreciate suggestions on what tutorials should be covered first as I'd like to start from easiest and then slowly build up to more advanced stuff instead of just randomly picking and choosing topics. Also if anyone has suggestions for topics they'd like me to cover please comment below and I can start to create a list :).

serrafina
001 Forum Master

Postby serrafina » Sat May 04, 2013 3:30 pm

Nice list! You might want to add zones too. Zones is one of the biggest thing that lots of users ask. They're good for positioning characters on maps and triggering events.

At the beginning of your tutorial, start with an opening of yourself. Getting to know who is presenting opens up your audience's mind and feel more familiar with you as you talk. When we don't see you, we tend to think of a robot where you jump pass the introduction. Additionally, use some transitions for some major steps. After your introduction, viewers will see "Maps" or "Zones". Then, you can start from there.

Lee
001 Support

Postby Lee » Sat May 04, 2013 3:55 pm

serrafina wrote:Nice list! You might want to add zones too. Zones is one of the biggest thing that lots of users ask. They're good for positioning characters on maps and triggering events.

Ah yes, zones are important. I should probably do tutorials on all of the main features really.

serrafina wrote:At the beginning of your tutorial, start with an opening of yourself. Getting to know who is presenting opens up your audience's mind and feel more familiar with you as you talk. When we don't see you, we tend to think of a robot where you jump pass the introduction. Additionally, use some transitions for some major steps. After your introduction, viewers will see "Maps" or "Zones". Then, you can start from there.

Yeah, the scripted version does sound more robotic than the un-scripted version, I'll try to include more of myself in the videos while still trying to keep things to the point and professional ;). The transition idea is nice, I'll be sure to do that :).

Samulis
001 Fanatic

Postby Samulis » Sat May 18, 2013 8:25 pm

If there are any existing written tutorials on a subject that are close enough, consider basing your video tutorial or at least mentioning the tutorial in the video. That way there isn't overlap whilst disconnect between what is already done and what is made.

To fix the echo, just piling up some old suitcases/pillows/garbage bags (not full of garbage, just pillows and such)/comforters/mattresses/anything really on your walls and also consider recording in a carpeted room if you are not already, or place down a few little rugs or mats. A lot cheaper than doing up the room proper, though it's only a temporary fix.

AnvilHouse
001 Support

Postby AnvilHouse » Sat May 18, 2013 9:27 pm

Another easy way to fix the echo is getting some thin open cell foam and duct tape(gaffer tape). Open cell foam should be no more than 1/4 inch thick. Use it to create a sound damper on a microphone or internal mic (if you can find the out). Best place to get the foam is from mp3 or small electronic device boxes.

This is of course if you feel like tinkering as I do. :lol:
Image Image Image

https://www.patreon.com/Anvilhouse ...yes...I am on Patreon!

-The store is under construction-
All items are guaranteed to work with 001 ;)

Lee
001 Support

Postby Lee » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:34 am

Thanks for the ideas guys. I've put some pillows around my microphone and that's done the trick nicely. I plan to start recording the new video tutorials once the next public version has been released :).

Update: OK, now that the new public version is out I'm going to start working on these tutorials. They're going to be nugget tutorials that cover specific topics, as they'll be quicker to make, easier to update and generally better for users as you'll be able to look up specific things rather than trying to sift through a full length tutorial. I've mentioned that I'll be covering the topics in the Beginners tutorial - and I'll be doing these first however I wanted to get feedback from you guys on which topics you think should be covered/should have more priority. If there's anything on the forums that gets asked frequently that you think should be covered in a tutorial then post it here.

High Priority:

- Connecting two maps together
- Creating sprites
- Creating a kill quest

haraldx
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby haraldx » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:19 pm

Oddly enough, only the left ear piece of my headphones play your voice. It's like the sound is recorded in mono and none of it in the right channel.

Lee
001 Support

Postby Lee » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:00 pm

I've removed the video from my channel as it's rather obsolete. The problems I was having originally have all since been resolved.

I'm in the process of writing the scripts for the first three nugget tutorials that I hope to be releasing sometime next week:

1) How to create sprites
2) Connecting two maps together
3) Creating a kill quest

If they all turn out OK I'll then start working on other tutorials. I'll be aiming to get 1-2 new tutorials out each week so that'll be something to look forward to :P!

Check the first post for the new video!
Last edited by Lee on Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Automatically merged double post.

Adam
001 Forum Master

Postby Adam » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:34 am

Very nice :)
Somewhere out there, is a planet with no war, no hunger, no poverty, no killing, and no evil.
It also has no oxygen

Lee
001 Support

Re: NEW: 001 Video Tutorials

Postby Lee » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:46 pm

Thanks Adam :).

11/07/2013: I've managed to fix the rendering issue and finish editing the other two tutorials. Check them out on the first page!

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:27 pm

As I mentioned in a message, I think they're definitely far more polished now.

The kill quest is a bit messy, and the main script is changed oddly. You also didn't tell them about equipping the enemies, which is pretty important and often overlooked.

And connecting maps, it'd probably help to include zones and doors as well.

Otherwise, very awesome!

Emrym

Postby Emrym » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:20 am

Very cool! looking forward on more tutorials. Btw in the connecting 2 maps, it be nice if you showed how to make the character go to the other map only at a certain point in the side of the map. If that is even possible haha. Cheers!

Lee
001 Support

Postby Lee » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:38 am

Mike wrote:The kill quest is a bit messy, and the main script is changed oddly. You also didn't tell them about equipping the enemies, which is pretty important and often overlooked. And connecting maps, it'd probably help to include zones and doors as well.

I'll work on correcting these.

Emrym wrote:Very cool! looking forward on more tutorials. Btw in the connecting 2 maps, it be nice if you showed how to make the character go to the other map only at a certain point in the side of the map. If that is even possible haha. Cheers!

Not a problem. I've got to cover zones anyway ;).

epsilon017
001 Subscriber

Postby epsilon017 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:22 am

Just a thought, I personally don't have a real problem with listening, but I feel like having some captions at the bottom might help for some people. Like for instance if someone is deaf, or just simply prefers reading over listening. Anyway, just my advice, otherwise I like what you're doing.
Defenders of Sol (Demo): http://engine001.com/games/Defenders%20of%20Sol_3083.htm

I really have no idea what I'm doing.

Lee
001 Support

Postby Lee » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:53 am

That's what written tutorials are for :P - I'm not too keen on the idea to be honest as I don't want text to keep popping up and covering up parts of the video. I mean, the tips do this but they're infrequent and never pop up when anything crucial is being explained in the tutorial.

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:22 am

Yeah, I'm not sure if it'd be beneficial to have everything written as well.

Lee
001 Support

Postby Lee » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:56 am

All right. I've set aside some time to finish editing the revisions of these three tutorials and (hopefully!) these will be the last revisions for these tutorials :P. I'm rendering and uploading them as I go, instead of waiting until I've completed them all. I'm working on the sprites one now and hope to have that up by the end of the day and then have the kill quest one up sometime tomorrow:

(Will look better on YouTube)

Gamerdude
001 Support

Postby Gamerdude » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:20 am

I think you should talk a little slower. Beginner tutorials often slow down the speech and actions just to be really clear. But otherwise it's great :) Very clear.

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:37 am

I find it's very succinct - though you could slow down a bit more, it's quite nice to see all those details discussed in such little time.

Anyway, the speed could easily be altered by just slowing down the entire video a bit. Or re-doing it all :P. Regardless, it's a huge improvement over the first, and I love that it covers everything.

Lee
001 Support

Postby Lee » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:16 am

Haha, I know why. Just compared it to my other video. It's not so much that I'm talking fast, rather that I haven't put any pauses in the video, so the audio just instantly moves onto the next clip without taking a quick pause first (I break the audio down into sentences to make it easier to line up with the video). I think if I make this change it should do the trick nicely.

EDIT: I believe this should so the trick:

Sprites:

Kill Quest:

Last edited by Lee on Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:33 pm

The first two are perfect :D.

Around 2:10 on the Kill Quest, it gets a bit complicating - it's not very clear that you've created another actor. Apart from that, it seems fine, unless I missed anything.

Lee
001 Support

Postby Lee » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:20 pm

OK, I've added a little segment that shows me creating the second actor and I've also fixed a slight audio hiccup that I noticed. Should be good now :).

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:22 pm

With Lee's explicit permission, I've posted them up on our YouTube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/001gamemaker

serrafina
001 Forum Master

Postby serrafina » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:26 pm

Excellant job, Lee! It was quite interesting to watch. You stayed on task and provided clear explanations for tips and steps. Therefore, it sounded very professional! :)

kerub
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby kerub » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:14 am

Nice videos. I like how you do this very detailed without skipping like so many other people do on tutorials. You have a cool voice, too.

However, as someone pointed out before, I also think you're talking pretty fast, and I had a hard time understanding every word you said. Considering that the portion of foreign (i.e. no native english speakers) seems to grow pretty fast they could also have a hard time understanding what you say. Of course, it's no big problem for this super basic stuff because pretty much everything can be learnt by simply watching where you click, but once your tutorials go a little deeper into detail this could become a problem I think.

Lee
001 Support

Postby Lee » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:57 am

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try working on that for future videos :).

Mike has given me a few ideas for my next couple of tutorials (the next one will be on testing/building your projects) but I'd appreciate any ideas you guys might have. If you find anything that's frequently asked or you think of something that would be useful as a video tutorial (either for beginners or advanced users) then please post your ideas here and I'll add them to my list.

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:14 pm

I don't think slowing things down is that important really. I think what would be a far better idea, is for us to have Brazilian Portuguese versions of those very same tutorials, as voice-overs.

Return to 001 Game Creator Announcements