Hello, hello

New to the forums? Going on vacation? Leaving forever? Tell us!
Peachy

Hello, hello

Postby Peachy » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:55 pm

I am a pixel artist and game designer, I am also training to be a programmer in my spare time.
I would like to do some independent projects and this looks like a pretty good one to try.

I just found this engine and it seems pretty good! I am happy to support it!

Are we allowed to know what it is programmed in ? Also, does the engine have the ability to
include the Steam code?

Thank you to everyone, also here is some of my pixel art:

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Re: Hello, hello

Postby Mike » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:46 am

Thanks for subscribing! :)

Peachy wrote:Are we allowed to know what it is programmed in ?

Mix of Visual Basic and C++ (and soon Java and Objective-C for porting purposes).

Peachy wrote: Also, does the engine have the ability to include the Steam code?

Once we have a game that is worthy of Steam, we can work with that user to properly be able to publish their game to it. Currently, all the subscription offers is selling of PC games through regular channels, and 001 currently does not support Steam integration.

Peachy

Postby Peachy » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:05 am

Oh, so you guys are willing to help with the steam process?

That would be amazing!

I have published several games with other programmers, and I am currently in the android apps market with other programmers but
I'm interested in doing some games myself. Particularly a hack and slash RPG I've had in my head that I've been making sprites for.

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:19 am

Yeah, we'd likely follow the plans we have for publishing on Android/iOS, and apply it to Steam as well. As we're a small group, the project is completely free, our costs are increasing (with artists and programmers) and there's no cost to users (we (001) would incur all the hardware/legal/corporate/banking/fees/etc...), there'd be a revenue split (which is likely 50/50). We may, at a later date, have a more expensive subscription to allow self-publishing, but that will not be available at the beginning since it isn't really viable just yet.

Wonderland
001 Forum Master

Postby Wonderland » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:32 am

Welcome!

Oh how I wish I could see 001 in 5 years... pure awesomeness.

Peachy

Postby Peachy » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:28 pm

Mike wrote:Yeah, we'd likely follow the plans we have for publishing on Android/iOS, and apply it to Steam as well. As we're a small group, the project is completely free, our costs are increasing (with artists and programmers) and there's no cost to users (we (001) would incur all the hardware/legal/corporate/banking/fees/etc...), there'd be a revenue split (which is likely 50/50). We may, at a later date, have a more expensive subscription to allow self-publishing, but that will not be available at the beginning since it isn't really viable just yet.

Oh, so would you be acting as "publisher" then ? I do have my own company and I have made a few games that have made a substantial amount of money.
I would have no problem giving you guys a cut for the headache the engine would save me, but for 50/50 there would have to be substantial support for me. xD
I made my living heading up games for 9 or so years, it's just the programming part that is somewhat new to me.

If you guys are in need of money, would you consider the possibility of allowing someone to pay you for specific scripts?

Wonderland wrote:Welcome!

Oh how I wish I could see 001 in 5 years... pure awesomeness.

Ooooh a maritimer. How do you do ? I am from Alberta but I lived in the Maritimes for 10 years.
Last edited by Peachy on Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Automatically merged double post.

Mr.Numbers
001 Support

Postby Mr.Numbers » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:06 pm

Welcome to the forums :D
I AM THE ALL MIGHTY SCRIPTING MASTER
Please do not PM me with Engine 001 related questions, rather post on the forums. ;)

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:08 pm

Peachy wrote:Oh, so would you be acting as "publisher" then ?

Yeah - at least how we're starting things off. I'm not sure if we'll ever go beyond that. It just doesn't make sense for a free product to also allow full self-publishing at only $10/month. It's also hard to not complicate things with a higher-paying subscription amount either.

Peachy wrote:If you guys are in need of money, would you consider the possibility of allowing someone to pay you for specific scripts?

We're always accepting donations. People who are able to contribute in a big way, generally get features. For example, all of the main beta testers have gotten many features they've requested to me personally. Some users who provide a lot to 001 and help people out or are working on great games, generally get things done as well. Some subscribers with fairly good ideas have gotten their requests met many times. People've donated in the past got things as well. I of course still have a priority list, but people putting forth something towards 001, there's only one way to respond back :).

Wonderland
001 Forum Master

Postby Wonderland » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:16 pm

I am fine, Peachy, thanks. :D

Peachy

Postby Peachy » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:19 pm

Mike wrote:
Peachy wrote:Oh, so would you be acting as "publisher" then ?

Yeah - at least how we're starting things off. I'm not sure if we'll ever go beyond that. It just doesn't make sense for a free product to also allow full self-publishing at only $10/month. It's also hard to not complicate things with a higher-paying subscription amount either.

Oh heavens no, I wouldn't expect that from you guys either. You deserve money for your work, especially since you do not charge a commission up front. I think rather than
charging for a self publishing subscription, a sliding scale commission model would be best. For example if you publish a game that makes like 10k, I think 50% is fair because you're
putting a lot of effort in for not very much money. However on say a game that's in the 6 digits, you may want to consider pulling back on the % a bit, as I could hire a programmer
for cheaper than that amount. Anyway, it's something to think about. I have worked on models like that before and they work very well, especially as an incentive. I'm not a
millionaire game developer but I do have some notoriety that would be contributing to sales.

We're always accepting donations. People who are able to contribute in a big way, generally get features. For example, all of the main beta testers have gotten many features they've requested to me personally. Some users who provide a lot to 001 and help people out or are working on great games, generally get things done as well. Some subscribers with fairly good ideas have gotten their requests met many times. People've donated in the past got things as well. I of course still have a priority list, but people putting forth something towards 001, there's only one way to respond back :).

Good to know, I am not fabulously wealthy but I can definitely help contribute from time to time.

Ixayou
001 Translator

Postby Ixayou » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:59 pm

A serious game developer, eh? Nice to meet you! I hope to be one of those one day :D

I do pixel art too btw, i'm sure we'll get along!
ImageThe Rpg Teams Blog!
All published information about our project will be there
http://shadowsofsephtia.blog.com/

Peachy

Postby Peachy » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:32 pm

Ixayou wrote:A serious game developer, eh? Nice to meet you! I hope to be one of those one day :D

I do pixel art too btw, i'm sure we'll get along!

I was checking out one of your threads, you have some very nice stuff reminiscent of Chrono Trigger :)

ITB
001 Subscriber

Postby ITB » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:31 pm

Hey Peachy! Welcome! :D

Peachy

Postby Peachy » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:06 pm

In_the_Bushes wrote:Hey Peachy! Welcome! :D

Thank you :D

Return to Hello, Away, Goodbye