Isles of Survival

Tell us about the 001 game you're working on. Show us screenshots. Discuss, promote and share games with others.
Forum rules
If you would like to post about your game, make sure to include screenshots and a long, well-written, thorough description.

Please be positive and understand that not everyone is skilled at using Map001. Games that are similar to other games, or fan games using commercial games' art are perfectly acceptable.

This forum section is dedicated to the discussion of games made with Map001 only.

You must upload your games to above games section of site. Outside links for games are forbidden in this section.
Rico
Ultimate 001 Member

Isles of Survival

Postby Rico » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:42 pm

Hello to everybody - it's been a long time since I last posted here but it's with good reason...

After months of planning and development I have finally almost completed my game project.

--ISLES OF SURVIVAL--

Screenshot 1.png
Screenshot 1.png (7.13 KiB) Viewed 2799 times

A simple sandbox survival game the player finds themselves doubting the purpose of their mundane existence when disaster leads to them stranded on a desert island with no one around to help them, the player must find a way to survive their time on the island using the limited resources of the island to their advantage, whether it's battling hunger or thirst or even their own sanity the player will have to venture, craft and think their way off the island, if there is any way off the island.

The only thing you know for sure, stay out of the darkness.

--FEATURES--

- Retro graphics
- Crafting system
- Mining/Gathering system
- Day/Night system
- Survival system
- Custom Inventory and interfaces
- Custom AI
- Dynamic environment
- And much more...

--SCREENSHOTS--

Screenshot 2.png
Screenshot 2.png (5.32 KiB) Viewed 2799 times

Screenshot 3.png
Screenshot 3.png (4.33 KiB) Viewed 2799 times

Screenshot 5.png

Screenshot 6.png

Screenshot 8.png

--NEWS--

Overall the game is about 96% - 98% complete, all I'm really doing now is settling on crafting recipes and the available items, touching up any details I think need to be improved and generally just testing that the scripting is robust and versatile enough for all playing styles - other than that it's complete and fully playable from start to finish.

I will after I'm satisfied with the demo product need some beta testers so feel free to post below if you're interested but an above average knowledge of Engine 001 would be preferable for more in-depth testing.

I'm looking at releasing a trailer alongside the demo product so the community should expect both in the next week.

Look forward to hearing your opinions :)

Wonderland
001 Forum Master

Re: Isles of Survival

Postby Wonderland » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:39 am

I love the art style. Looking forward to playing it!

kararty
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby kararty » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:33 pm

Me want! Me want! Me want!
Mike wrote:...

Image<~~~|Get over here!

Not Me
001 Subscriber

Postby Not Me » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:31 pm

I give this my wholehearted approval. Looks very nice.
The above image is totally not a link to my website.

Midnight
001 Translator

Postby Midnight » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:46 pm

Interesting, Seems to be very good, I remember ''the sims castaway''.
waiting here the game to be released.

Rico
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Rico » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:31 pm

I'm glad you guys are so positive, from how it's going at the moment I'd imagine the demo will be available by the 9th - 10th like before I'm just improving things where I can and working out the best way to incorporate and show case the games features in the demo/trailer :)

RamchuK_Ntertainment
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby RamchuK_Ntertainment » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:27 pm

Pardon my negativity, but astray from all the positives it would rather be wise for you to reconsider the cliché concept of tragic incidents as well as the concrete similarities to "Don't Starve". Although Indie development allows and sometimes promotes the design and release of projects that are inspired by the greater entities, you must still endeavor as it is in your best interest to produce a concept that is slightly more original. As far as the positive elements of your project go, it is indeed clever to see a full survival concept come to 001, but I believe that the linearity of gameplay needs more attention. In all this, I wish you luck and hope to see a wonderful project arise from what is currently a great start.
Travesty: 3D Survival - WIP >>> Forum Topic
University of Washington (BABA)
-REGT- Ramchuk Entertainment Games Team
Strategy/Action/Adventure
Copyrighted©2008-2017

Rico
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Rico » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:40 pm

Thank you for your comment Ramchuk but annoyingly I can't really expand any further on the point you've made without giving up features and aspects of the game I want you guys to discover upon the release of the demo but your point is very valid, all I can really say at this point is I hope if you do get a chance to play the demo that the features I have intentionally withheld will show the originality of the final product :)

AnvilHouse
001 Support

Postby AnvilHouse » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:55 pm

I agree with Ramchuck, the concept is pretty much a clone of a clone of a clone....though this can work to your advantage since it gives a good base line due to the insane amount of examples you can pick and choose from.

You mention that drifting into insanity as a potential obstacle...yet I don't see anything that indicates that possibility in your screens. I would love to see something like an insanity meter added (or have the bar hidden to give that extra feeling of uneasiness to the player) and when it goes lower the player could see visions, or mirages that disappear periodically, making the persistent environment harder to navigate and keep the game fresh as you continue to play. Having the meter drop when you get very hungry or thirsty (hallucinations without the proper nutrition) would work to your advantage.

Also another factor that isn't used in many survival games is a weight factor for inventory items, and the ability to become weak when you get hungry or thirsty, in effect lowering your weight threshold and stamina which both would make you slower.

--You have to realize this constructive criticism from us isn't based off a consumer perspective, its based off producers that have to design to keep the product interesting for general consumption.
Image Image Image

https://www.patreon.com/Anvilhouse ...yes...I am on Patreon!

-The store is under construction-
All items are guaranteed to work with 001 ;)

Rico
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Rico » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:02 pm

Some items on the HUD are not demonstrated in the screenshots just due to the fact that it would have given away some of the surprises in-store feature wise (this includes the sanity meter), I'm loving the constructive criticism however I can't comment unless you get a chance to play the demo as I believe it'll answer some of the questions being raised.

Sorry if this is frustrating for you guys I just don't want to give the whole game away to guys just yet. :)

Gamerdude
001 Support

Postby Gamerdude » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:41 pm

Honestly I don't really think it matters if it's a "clone". I mean, there are so many games out now anyway, no matter what you do you're probably making something similar to something that already exists.

I'd play your game regardless of whether it is similar to other games out now anyway. And I'm positive other people would, because the whole survival concept is really popular and most of the ones of Steam are very similar to each other anyway.

archlord666
001 Admirer

Postby archlord666 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:38 am

Well how many clones of adventure games, RPG, FPS and others? The war over clones is only justified if those are exact or clones with less features.

Rico
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Rico » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:38 pm

I agree but we'll see what you guys think when the demo comes out. :)

--UPDATE--

Everything is coming along on-time and it's only really the little details now that I'm improving upon, have redone all of the intro graphics about three times now :L

I've also decided that there's certain angles that I want to take on the game-play that don't fall comfortably into a single campaign so I may be splitting certain things into certain game modes depending on how I decide to take the future development, these would most likely contain modes such as campaign, survival and perhaps even more specialized modes, these however whatever angle I take won't be in the initial demo release.

--UPDATE--

Very early Demo release!!
http://www.engine001.com/games/Isles+of+Survival_3329.htm

Not Me
001 Subscriber

Postby Not Me » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:49 pm

So I gave the game a play. Biggest problem I had was the inaccuracy of the hand cursor; it seems to be off center, like the sprite is too low. I also had a lot of difficulty clicking on things like twine (and the words in the main menu), since their sprites are so thin. You might try turning off per-pixel cursor clicking in general settings.

The presentation of everything seemed really nice, with the vertical fade in thing and intro and whatnot. The game reset itself on the second day, so I didn't do a ton. I assume the reset was intentional. ;)

All in all, looks like a good start.

Rico
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Rico » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:54 pm

That's one of the two biggest problems I have, I've tried to increase the accuracy of the cursor but to no avail at the moment but I'm certainly working on it.

The second problem is the lag between the day and night changes something I think might not be fixed soon.

I can only assume the reset was due to your stats running out, the demo only resets if you die or build a raft, if you build a raft you will be prompted of such so it must of been the stats.

If you don't mind answering I was just wondering whether there was anything as a player you would add?

Thank you for playing :)

Dunce
001 Forum Master

Postby Dunce » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:57 pm

The point of the cursor should be pointing to 0,0 in the sequencer. 0,0 is used as the click point for cursors.

Rico
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Rico » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:59 pm

If that solves my problem Dunce you are a life saver, I had no idea that was the case :)

Not Me
001 Subscriber

Postby Not Me » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:18 pm

I might suggest adding some sort of warning when your stats are low; I have some small difficulty noticing when I'm starving to death. :lol:

Rico
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Rico » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:24 pm

Noted, I'm thinking perhaps some graphical representation on the the character would probably be the best prompt, like a thought bubble or something of that nature :)

RamchuK_Ntertainment
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby RamchuK_Ntertainment » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:43 pm

After giving Isles of Survival a go, here are some thoughts I have been able to put together:

-The mouse cursor seems to be off on the Y-axis by 16 pixels and possibly the X-axis; as Dunce has mentioned, you can try setting both values to 0 or, just make sure that the cursor sits in the 4th quadrant of the Sequencer coordinate plane and the edge touches the origin.

-I must note that statistics are not 'measurements of survival' in a sandbox/survival game, they are rather 'numerical representations of vital elements' that a player's survival depends on. (;

-The 'toilet' or hygiene statistic is beyond unnecessary, although it's a feature that Sims use, in a survival game this is not proper. In the survival genre players must maintain their well being that supports them for a long period of time, meaning; drinking water will deplete the level of your thirst and thus you prevent your health from dropping. This makes sense from any perspective, even if a player finds himself in a battle with an enemy. The toilet statistic is an outsider because first, it doesn't have enough supporting statistics and second, because it's something that is simply the result of having the need to get rid of the waste in the player's body. A player may drink water and simply need to go to the bathroom to waste a few moments from the game... This makes sense in a life simulator, but not in a survival game that isn't based on hardcore survival elements.

-BUG: Selecting the 'male' icon in the Character Editor returns a sprite error.

-CONTROLS: Please make W,A,S,D keys available for movement in supplement to the Arrow Keys. It's much easier to use them while using the mouse as well.

-The game seems to be restarting by itself after a certain amount of time has passed; if this is a Demo feature, allow more time for gameplay.

-The Island Travel feature is neat, but how does the player know where all the islands are if he has never been there? This forces me to say that the exploration aspect of the game is slightly low. Players would much prefer to 'discover' distant lands of fortune or regret themselves, not on a map interface.

-The inventory system isn't conceptual. I suggest creating a drag-and-drop inventory or a simple list inventory system.

Overall, this is an interesting project to follow and you are surely on the right track. Looking forward to updates.
Travesty: 3D Survival - WIP >>> Forum Topic
University of Washington (BABA)
-REGT- Ramchuk Entertainment Games Team
Strategy/Action/Adventure
Copyrighted©2008-2017

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:42 pm

Completely agree with Ramchuck 100%.

Only thing I can add, is along with fixing the cursor, change the sprite for it as well. It always helps to know exactly where you supposed to be pointing your cursor when you only have 1 pixel to work with. The one you have now is pretty ambiguous. Is the main point of the cursor the middle of the hand, or is it supposed to be the fingertips? Maybe if the hand was pointing with one finger I'd have a better idea.

Return to Games In Progress