Portal 2

General discussion relating to everything except 001.
Forum rules
Please do not post questions concerning the 001 software in this forum.
Stephen Chapman
001 Forum Master

Portal 2

Postby Stephen Chapman » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:18 am

For those interested, I recommend you watch this three-part E3 demonstration of Portal 2. Lots of new, innovative puzzles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5THiN8szSKM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq2mZoKkqMw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGlyQmmvj0w

Jegar
Ultimate 001 Member

Re: Portal 2

Postby Jegar » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:29 am

I am definitely excited for this.

Deedasmi
001 Forum Master

Postby Deedasmi » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:42 am

those would be freaking impossible without knowing what to do!

Stephen Chapman
001 Forum Master

Postby Stephen Chapman » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:12 am

I'm up for a good hard puzzle to solve. This new paint feature looks like so much fun.

Ovoon
001 Forum Master

Postby Ovoon » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:25 pm

Deedasmi wrote:those would be freaking impossible without knowing what to do!

Actually Portal 1 looks very similar. And theyre both quite easy.
DOOF

Stephen Chapman
001 Forum Master

Postby Stephen Chapman » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:10 am

Release date is for late April. Anyone else excited. :D

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:15 am

No, because it'll mean I'll have to spend 5 hours playing it again :P.

Lunatiic

Postby Lunatiic » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:55 pm

Cant wait for this to be released :D
See that woman over there? She's got a terrific pair of norks. - Prince Phillip

Ever had a conversation which has include both time travel AND the likelyhood of the bermuda triangle being the home of giant piece of rhubarb which has a grudge against the hhuman race?

Stephen Chapman
001 Forum Master

Postby Stephen Chapman » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:53 am

Portal 2 has been released! Waiting for it to get it's updates. :evil:

Gamerdude
001 Support

Postby Gamerdude » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:46 am

Yesterday, started and finished the first Portal. I was disappointed in its length. But I really enjoyed it. Computer freaked me out.

So I will be buying this sometime. Hopefully it comes on some sort of disc, because I do not use a credit card on Steam. But yes, looking forward to it :D

Deedasmi
001 Forum Master

Postby Deedasmi » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:51 am

I just rented it from hastings on the 360. I would gusse and say I'm half way through the single player campaign and It's the first time I've been really stuck. Most of it so far has been fairly easy.

Ovoon
001 Forum Master

Postby Ovoon » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:34 am

Gamerdude wrote:Yesterday, started and finished the first Portal. I was disappointed in its length. But I really enjoyed it. Computer freaked me out.

So I will be buying this sometime. Hopefully it comes on some sort of disc, because I do not use a credit card on Steam. But yes, looking forward to it :D

Portal 1 is short because all it was, was a bonus short game on the Orange Box, which game with HL2, ep1, ep2, TF2 and Portal. So yea, 4-5 hours is near perfect length for Portal.

I got Portal 2 yesterday, and it's good. Not at all what I thought it would be though, I thought Portal 2 would send you into the real world where the story would unfold from the first game. It's pretty much just a copy paste of the first game. :?
Still awesome though.
DOOF

Gamerdude
001 Support

Postby Gamerdude » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:41 am

Oh I see. I thought it was another stand alone game, packaged with the others.

So Portal 2 doesn't develop the story much at all?

Ovoon
001 Forum Master

Postby Ovoon » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:09 pm

Gamerdude wrote:Oh I see. I thought it was another stand alone game, packaged with the others.

Well it does, lets just say, it seems like it's about to, and then it's like "MOAR TESTING!!!". Because I didn't get enough of that in the first game. :|
DOOF

Jegar
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Jegar » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:22 pm

Well what did you expect out of a portal game?

Ovoon
001 Forum Master

Postby Ovoon » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:50 pm

Jegar wrote:Well what did you expect out of a portal game?

Getting out of Aperture with the portal gun. The game actually evolving from it's low budget predecessor.
DOOF

Stephen Chapman
001 Forum Master

Postby Stephen Chapman » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:58 pm

Gamerdude wrote:Oh I see. I thought it was another stand alone game, packaged with the others.

You can get it in store, and it does develop the story a good bit. Also extremely funny and Glados is eviler than ever.

Jegar
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Jegar » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:02 pm

the portal gun outside of Aperture wouldn't have been as awesome, it wouldn't have the sense of improvisation, or the story reason for needing the portal gun, it would be like Half life needing a big orange banana thing to fight.

Gamerdude
001 Support

Postby Gamerdude » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:30 pm

Stephen Chapman wrote:

You can get it in store, and it does develop the story a good bit. Also extremely funny and Glados is eviler than ever.

Awesome. Next game I shall be purchasing then.

Ovoon wrote:

Well it does, lets just say, it seems like it's about to, and then it's like "MOAR TESTING!!!". Because I didn't get enough of that in the first game. :|

Yeah, I was hoping for some sort of story after finishing the testing.

TheRunner
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby TheRunner » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:35 pm

Ovoon wrote:
Gamerdude wrote:Yesterday, started and finished the first Portal. I was disappointed in its length. But I really enjoyed it. Computer freaked me out.

Portal 1 is short because all it was, was a bonus short game on the Orange Box, which game with HL2, ep1, ep2, TF2 and Portal. So yea, 4-5 hours is near perfect length for Portal.

I got Portal 2 yesterday, and it's good. Not at all what I thought it would be though, I thought Portal 2 would send you into the real world where the story would unfold from the first game. It's pretty much just a copy paste of the first game. :?
Still awesome though.

That's like saying "I expected Super mario world 2 to develop the story further, rather then the same thing!"

Portal is just what it is, a puzzle solving game. Not really to much story to be developing.
"As far as I'm concerned, I prefer silent vice to ostentatious virtue."

- Albert Einstein

Ovoon
001 Forum Master

Postby Ovoon » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:09 pm

Ok, about no developing story, I was very VERY wrong. The game kinda slumps around chapter 3-4 and is just like the first, before and after that is INCREDIBLE. BUY THIS GAME NAO. :P
DOOF

Jegar
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Jegar » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:30 pm

See just you wait Portal 2 can intensely impress.

Stephen Chapman
001 Forum Master

Postby Stephen Chapman » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:30 pm

I would say that it totally owns Portal 1. :D

Deedasmi
001 Forum Master

Postby Deedasmi » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:09 pm

I'm on chapter 8 right now. There was only 1-2 tough puzzles so far. Only had to cheat on 1.

Good game, worth a rent. But even with a moderate amount of gameplay a day, you'll be the single player before the rent is up, easy, taking your time. Co-op adds a couple hours I've been told, but your looking at 15-20 hours of gameplay out of $50. Sorry, $2.50 an hour is a little steep for me to finish a video game start to finish. At least FPS and other short campaign games have multi player that you can burn time in.

To me, portal isn't a game you can play over and over again and enjoy every time. I remember back in the day when RPGs gave anywhere from 20-50 hours of gameplay, and were easily repayable 1.5-3 times, for the same price (adjusted for inflation)

I even remember a PS1 game that wasn't hard to throw 100+ hours into. I played it again a couple months ago and lost several days of my life, to get about 45% (At a stretch) of the way done with it. For a game that was released in 1995. Sixteen years later I found is enjoyable to play again, and play for 30+ hours. Oh, and in this game, fairly early is a game changing decision. There is 2 paths to take. Each path had completely different content. So at minimum to finish everything and see everything, was 2 playthroughs.

And even after you beat the game. There is a tower mode, with 100 levels of increasingly difficult challenges. This being extra optional content, that isn't really related to the story, I didn't even include it in the 100 hours to beat estimate :P

As an arcade game, portal 2 is great. It's amazing. But for $50 it's short. Unless Valve is going to release multiple DLC packs for free, I think it was a rip off.

Indiana 266
001 Forum Master

Postby Indiana 266 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:33 pm

Hum..

My friend already bought it and posted something about it on MSN..

rikuto148
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby rikuto148 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:16 pm

i bought it and loved it. Still not done yet but its epic. ive had to use a friend on some of the puzzles lol.
I will draw up characters items: clothes ect... Just pm me with the item and a decscripion or picture =)
[CENTER]ImageTake the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.[/CENTER]

Scaveleon
001 Translator

Postby Scaveleon » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:09 pm

Deedasmi wrote:As an arcade game, portal 2 is great. It's amazing. But for $50 it's short. Unless Valve is going to release multiple DLC packs for free, I think it was a rip off.

The prices for most modern games are ridiculous compared to their replay value, I've certainly learned that. I own a few PS3 games and none of them had much replay value. FPS shooters are an exception because they have multiplayer.

Older and stand-alone games were more about entertaining the player, but I feel right now a lot of games are just about making you like them enough to buy the next one, especially when you look at franchises or series of games.
MIV wrote:It's definitely not The Epic Game of Loladin as the screenshot said.
Nor is it The Epic Game of Loladin Happy Face.

SoundCloud
Project blog

Ovoon
001 Forum Master

Postby Ovoon » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:22 pm

Deedasmi wrote:I'm on chapter 8 right now. There was only 1-2 tough puzzles so far. Only had to cheat on 1.

Good game, worth a rent. But even with a moderate amount of gameplay a day, you'll be the single player before the rent is up, easy, taking your time. Co-op adds a couple hours I've been told, but your looking at 15-20 hours of gameplay out of $50. Sorry, $2.50 an hour is a little steep for me to finish a video game start to finish. At least FPS and other short campaign games have multi player that you can burn time in.

To me, portal isn't a game you can play over and over again and enjoy every time. I remember back in the day when RPGs gave anywhere from 20-50 hours of gameplay, and were easily repayable 1.5-3 times, for the same price (adjusted for inflation)

I even remember a PS1 game that wasn't hard to throw 100+ hours into. I played it again a couple months ago and lost several days of my life, to get about 45% (At a stretch) of the way done with it. For a game that was released in 1995. Sixteen years later I found is enjoyable to play again, and play for 30+ hours. Oh, and in this game, fairly early is a game changing decision. There is 2 paths to take. Each path had completely different content. So at minimum to finish everything and see everything, was 2 playthroughs.

And even after you beat the game. There is a tower mode, with 100 levels of increasingly difficult challenges. This being extra optional content, that isn't really related to the story, I didn't even include it in the 100 hours to beat estimate :P

As an arcade game, portal 2 is great. It's amazing. But for $50 it's short. Unless Valve is going to release multiple DLC packs for free, I think it was a rip off.

If you think this game was a rip off, you must not have played any recent non-rpg's. I'm surprised it was as long as it was.
8 hours for main game, 6 for co-op. And it all felt like a big pixar movie puzzle game to me. :P So I think it was worth it, and generally I hate it when games are short and overpriced. This is no Halo ODST or Splinter Cell Conviction lol.
DOOF

Partysofa
001 Support

Postby Partysofa » Thu May 05, 2011 12:10 pm

"You think your day was bad? I'm a potato"
001 Discord server Image
Twitter Image
Tales of Astya (WIP) Development Blog

Stephen Chapman
001 Forum Master

Postby Stephen Chapman » Fri May 06, 2011 2:14 am

Wonderland
001 Forum Master

Postby Wonderland » Fri May 13, 2011 5:31 am

Ovoon wrote:Ok, about no developing story, I was very VERY wrong. The game kinda slumps around chapter 3-4 and is just like the first, before and after that is INCREDIBLE. BUY THIS GAME NAO. :P

If you don't buy it, read my review!: http://v-g-r.blogspot.com/2011/05/portal-2-review.html
lol, jk.

Zero Punctuation was hard on portal 2. I have never played the first portal. Is there anyone else who played portal 2 but never plaved portal 1?

Jegar
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Jegar » Wed May 18, 2011 11:19 pm

I thought Yahtzee was pretty fair.

Wonderland
001 Forum Master

Postby Wonderland » Thu May 19, 2011 4:51 am

Yeah, but he said in the next review that he was too hard on portal 2 so I went with that.

Return to General Discussion