Help Needed for Turn-Based Tactical Combat

Have any questions or problems in making your game, subscribing and/or using our software? Post here.
Forum rules
Make sure you are using the newest version. This can be downloaded at the top of the site via the "downloads" link.

Use a very good subject. "Problem" or "Help" are unacceptable titles.

Use the search feature before posting a question, as the answer is probably already here.

Subscript out of range error 9: This is a generic error, and we'll need way more information than that to figure out the problem. If you get this, strongly consider following the instructions of submitting your project through the Submit Bug feature within the editor.
wkwkwkwk1

Help Needed for Turn-Based Tactical Combat

Postby wkwkwkwk1 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:32 pm

Good afternoon, everyone!

Here's the thing: I'd like to make a combat system similar to that of Final Fantasy: Tactics; Ogre Battle; X-COM; or, the ones I feel are the most similar to what I want, Geneforge and Avernum.

Now, the problem is as follows: this kind of system would require the following:
1. The game must stop during combat (and only during combat, which is another problem in itself), except for a single character;
2. When clicking on the ground, the character moves towards that spot, but, when clicking on an enemy, the character either attacks, or moves and attacks (depending on distance and type of attack);
3. Moving and attacking should subtract from a counter of "action points";
4. A way of determining order of action;
5. (Optional) Movement could work on a grid

What I've tried:
1. I know about the "Change Controlled Member" "Enable/Disable Actor", but I have no idea how to use them, how to make the rest of the game stop in the meantime, nor how to trigger that option when combat begins (this last one might be done with a variable?).
2. Well, there's obviously the "Walk to Cursor" script, but that's only a tiny fraction of the problem.
3. I honestly have no idea about this one. I vaguely recall a "pixels walked" script of sorts, but can't find it.
4. Again, I recall something about using Collections.
5. Pressing the movement keys could move a set number of pixels, but it would require pressing it again for more movement. Beyond that, I'm at a loss.

Thanks in advance for the help!
wkwkwkwk1

Bonus question: Is it possible to make a cone of light, such as for a flashlight?

Return to Technical Support Questions