Actors failing to move (Computer Actors)

Have any questions or problems in making your game, subscribing and/or using our software? Post here.
Forum rules
Make sure you are using the newest version. This can be downloaded at the top of the site via the "downloads" link.

Use a very good subject. "Problem" or "Help" are unacceptable titles.

Use the search feature before posting a question, as the answer is probably already here.

Subscript out of range error 9: This is a generic error, and we'll need way more information than that to figure out the problem. If you get this, strongly consider following the instructions of submitting your project through the Submit Bug feature within the editor.
Danny
001 Forum Master

Actors failing to move (Computer Actors)

Postby Danny » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:33 am

I'm having some issues with the actors for some reason they simply fail to "Face" and "Move" towards the player "main". Below is my setup of the actor and the things i have tried to get it to work.

Setup

The game is Topdown. The actor is a 16x16 sprite with a square collision around it with 1 bullet point. The sprite as a walking and idle pose with the options Smooth Scaling, Rotate Graphic with direction and rotate collision with direction checked. The collision as been adjusted to fit around the sprite correctly as far as i am aware, i also ensured the collision was placed above the line in the Front view to ensure the collision would not be in the floor when in-game. The image of the sprite is in the right facing direction and contains 1 frame for idle and 1 frame for walking.

The actor itself spawns from an actor template. The actor template as been setup for the actor as a speed of 30, the actor is not solid, the triggers used for the actor are Attacked with a to delete "this" actor (This trigger runs fine) the other trigger is "Loaded" with the event Change Auto Movement Style with "Face" and "Move" towards player checked. The actor also is set to team "Bad" as no weapon and as the correct sprite for the body. Everything setup suggests it should work but it is not. The default Ai option is not selected.

The actor is placed in the map on a timer to allow spawning every 0.5 seconds with a max limit of 30 actors out at any time.

What i have tried

1) Placed the actor alone without the timer incase the timer was spawning actors onto actors and causing them to get stuck.

2) Checked & double checked the collision of the sprite incase i missed something.

3) Removed the bullet point incase there may have been a bug with the bullet point with it being a new feature.

4) Tried placing the collision for Front 96 pixels up so the actor would fall to the floor, i did this to test if the actor was stuck in the floor. Its not.

5) Rechecked the actor templates setup, no issues to be found.

6) Used a change movement X event to see if the actor can actually move. It can.

7) Tried using the auto movement option the actor properties window directly. Not working.

To the best of my knowledge i can not find the issue. I do not know if this is a bug or i have missed something. Until proven to be a bug i will submit this in the tech section. Seems the auto movement event is not working.

I would like help with this asap as my game depends on moving actors as its based around them.

Thanks for reading.
Last edited by Lee on Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Please don't spam titles.

SBG
001 Subscriber

Re: Actors failing to move (Computer Actors)

Postby SBG » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:11 am

So you are using the auto face and auto move features to face and move towards the player instead of scripting any movement?

Danny
001 Forum Master

Postby Danny » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:12 pm

SBG wrote:So you are using the auto face and auto move features to face and move towards the player instead of scripting any movement?

Yes.

I'm using the auto movement event to make the actor face the player "main" and to walk towards the player "main". I know i have set everything up 100% i have used this event and set actors like this loads of times. I have done everything i normally do from my old games. No reason this should not be working.

BUMP - 1 WEEK LATER...

Edit: Oh would you look at that. I figured the problem out. Turns out at some point Mike added some new feature, a new feature that was placed in the AI options section. Seems i did set my scripts up correctly after all.

Seems you must now "check" all the movement options in the Ai options part of the actor properties. I have never needed to do this because this feature never used to be there and i was also not aware of this option.

So a week later i finally figured it out... no one else knew about this?
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (4.09 KiB) Viewed 760 times
Last edited by Danny on Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Automatically merged double post.

Lee
001 Support

Postby Lee » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:04 pm

I'd recommend reading our patch notes before installing a new version so you're made aware of the changes to the software.
Lee - 001 Community Manager

Danny
001 Forum Master

Postby Danny » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:10 pm

Lee wrote:I'd recommend reading our patch notes before installing a new version so you're made aware of the changes to the software.

Where can i find the patch notes?

:)

Lee
001 Support

Postby Lee » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:16 pm

You can view the patch notes on Steam here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/347400/discussions/0/481115363858417321/

They're also posted to Development Discussions but that section is part of the Premium Zone so naturally is only available to Subscribers.
Lee - 001 Community Manager

Danny
001 Forum Master

Postby Danny » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:18 pm

Lee wrote:You can view the patch notes on Steam here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/347400/discussions/0/481115363858417321/

They're also posted to Development Discussions but that section is part of the Premium Zone so naturally is only available to Subscribers.

Thank you

:)

Return to Technical Support Questions