How can I use 001 user created content?

Have any questions or problems in making your game, subscribing and/or using our software? Post here.
Forum rules
Make sure you are using the newest version. This can be downloaded at the top of the site via the "downloads" link.

Use a very good subject. "Problem" or "Help" are unacceptable titles.

Use the search feature before posting a question, as the answer is probably already here.

Subscript out of range error 9: This is a generic error, and we'll need way more information than that to figure out the problem. If you get this, strongly consider following the instructions of submitting your project through the Submit Bug feature within the editor.
Jerry_Lawliet

How can I use 001 user created content?

Postby Jerry_Lawliet » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:01 pm

Basically my question is on the subject, but to be more specific, I'm asking if I can use the community created resources on my game. They don't specify licenses on the description, so I don't know if I can use them for commercial or non-commercial games. If they don't specify license, does that give me the right to use them freely any way I want?

Lee
001 Support

Re: How can I use 001 user created content?

Postby Lee » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:05 pm

I believe the general rule is that any of the resources on the site can be used non-commercially but if you intend to sell your game, you should seek permission from the original content creator.
Lee - 001 Community Manager

Jerry_Lawliet

Postby Jerry_Lawliet » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:19 pm

I though of sending a message to some of the creators but I saw that most of them have "abandoned" the website. In some cases it's even been years since someone last visited this site. Does the same thing apply in this case?

Lee
001 Support

Postby Lee » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:26 pm

I'd have to see what Mike thinks.

For me personally, I would consider them "abandonware" and therefore, free for anyone to make use of (whether non-commercial or commercial). Providing they're used in a game and not just straight up redistributing/selling the resources themselves, of course.
Lee - 001 Community Manager

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:37 pm

The intent was always for users to share resources for use in this software, which has always included commercial usage. If they have left the site, I'm sure their usage would be implicit. In the end, it's best to ask for permission, and if you can't get it, use it at your own risk. Can always swap it out for new art if there's a question raised. This is not legal advice, though.

Jerry_Lawliet

Postby Jerry_Lawliet » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:50 pm

I see, thanks for the quick responses guys :)

JimmySterylian
001 Fanatic

Postby JimmySterylian » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:30 pm

Wow, I wanted to ask that as well :shock: Thanks L's twin brother!

Scaveleon
001 Translator

Postby Scaveleon » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:00 am

I just want to clarify, I assume we are talking about content from the resource forum and download page on this site, right? For example, commercial game or not, I wouldn't want others to use my music even if it is public (elsewhere) and I happen to be an 001 member. This is because my music isn't uploaded to 001.
MIV wrote:It's definitely not The Epic Game of Loladin as the screenshot said.
Nor is it The Epic Game of Loladin Happy Face.

SoundCloud
Project blog

Return to Technical Support Questions