Copyrighted hits to use in a game, ok or not?

Have any questions or problems in making your game, subscribing and/or using our software? Post here.
Forum rules
Make sure you are using the newest version. This can be downloaded at the top of the site via the "downloads" link.

Use a very good subject. "Problem" or "Help" are unacceptable titles.

Use the search feature before posting a question, as the answer is probably already here.

Subscript out of range error 9: This is a generic error, and we'll need way more information than that to figure out the problem. If you get this, strongly consider following the instructions of submitting your project through the Submit Bug feature within the editor.
RipGreamer

Location: Magellan's last destination (Lapu-Lapu City, Philippines)

Copyrighted hits to use in a game, ok or not?

Postby RipGreamer » Wed May 04, 2011 9:59 am

Hello again! Well, I want to put some Led Zeppelin songs in my game... is it okay? I won't sell my game anyway. Plus, can I put my game in my own website as a FREE downloadable file? Thanks!
PROJECT IN PROGRESS:
I LOVE HORROR GAMES!!!
FAVE QUOTE: "hard work beats talent when talent refuses to work hard."

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Re: Copyrighted hits to use in a game, ok or not?

Postby Tabula Rasa » Wed May 04, 2011 1:10 pm

I wouldn't recommend using a lot of mp3s in a game anyway, since it really bloats the file size. But yeah, it's ok. Miroki did it in Voyage for Vengeance.

And yes, you're allowed to put your own game elsewhere for free.

sonic swordmaster
001 Fanatic

Postby sonic swordmaster » Wed May 04, 2011 4:06 pm

I never thought about this until now but, what about music that was in another video game (ex: mario or zelda music) if the game was free could that kind of music be used or would it be copyright infringment?
Dragged down into the ocean of oblivion

Tenshi

Postby Tenshi » Wed May 04, 2011 4:20 pm

It would be copyright infringement, actually. You asking for money or not does not change that.

The thing is just that in the case of fangames, companies usually do not step in because you aren't doing it for profit. You're more or less safe to use it, but technically, it's not legal.

Fireleaf
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Fireleaf » Thu May 05, 2011 1:01 am

Tenshi wrote:It would be copyright infringement, actually. You asking for money or not does not change that.

The thing is just that in the case of fangames, companies usually do not step in because you aren't doing it for profit. You're more or less safe to use it, but technically, it's not legal.

Very true.

In miroki's game he used all MIDI files which are different from the originals becuase they are mimics made by midi composers. You should still get permission from whoever you're using music from, it's polite. Also it's a good idea to make some sort of credit to the original authors/artists of anything you use. Something like: "Music by _____. Some sound effects by _____."
Hey, I compose custom music for games (for free). PM me about it.

Tales of Northeta:
http://www.engine001.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22467&p=349875#p349875

Sunbreak City:
http://www.engine001.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21483

Shmallow World (tentative progress)
Shmalloween (2010)
Attack-or-Treat
Gongo Warrior

sonic swordmaster
001 Fanatic

Postby sonic swordmaster » Thu May 05, 2011 10:24 pm

Ok I get it now. I was wondering about the midis but that pretty much clears things up.
Dragged down into the ocean of oblivion

RipGreamer

Postby RipGreamer » Fri May 06, 2011 8:06 am

First of all, thanks for your advise guys. I forgot to mention that I credit the artist in the game. So it's okay...well, does Engine 001 allow me to put my game in a different website for free? But of course, I'll also share it here.
PROJECT IN PROGRESS:
I LOVE HORROR GAMES!!!

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Postby Tabula Rasa » Fri May 06, 2011 9:35 pm

Didn't you already ask that? I'm pretty sure I answered yes. It's encouraged, in fact, as it helps move traffic here. I posted my game on ModDB. :)

RipGreamer

Postby RipGreamer » Sat May 07, 2011 9:02 am

Maybe I missed something. Sucks for me, I usually read too fast without even understanding some things. LOL! Anyway, thanks! :lol:
PROJECT IN PROGRESS:
I LOVE HORROR GAMES!!!

Wonderland
001 Forum Master

Postby Wonderland » Sun May 15, 2011 4:59 am

I am pretty sure you can as long as you don't sell them.

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Postby Tabula Rasa » Sun May 15, 2011 9:30 am

Technically, it's still illegal, but i don't think anyone cares as long as

1. Your game is free.

2. The music is not distributed in mp3 format.

You COULD get in trouble for it even so, but I've never heard of it happening on the forum, ever.

patatoface
001 Forum Master

Postby patatoface » Mon May 16, 2011 6:34 am

as for putting your actual game on other websites, i don't know if mike really appreciates that but you are definatly allowed to link from other web sites to the download screen

Wonderland
001 Forum Master

Postby Wonderland » Mon May 16, 2011 3:15 pm

patatoface wrote:as for putting your actual game on other websites, i don't know if mike really appreciates that but you are definatly allowed to link from other web sites to the download screen

Do you mean mike gets angry if you put the game you made with 001 on your website and not his???

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Postby Tabula Rasa » Mon May 16, 2011 4:13 pm

No, he's encouraged people to put their games on other websites multiple times. I put one of my games on ModDB.

Ixayou
001 Translator

Postby Ixayou » Mon May 16, 2011 5:47 pm

If its not for commerical use and free, then its no big deal. Im not encouraging to steal resources, but i dont think anybody cares if its just in the comunnity.
ImageThe Rpg Teams Blog!
All published information about our project will be there
http://shadowsofsephtia.blog.com/

Kusy

Postby Kusy » Thu May 19, 2011 7:24 am

Protip: don't use nothing you don't have direct right to, make your resources yourself, use free stock resources or organise a team of people who can do them. Maybee it's just me but I'd be way more interested in a game with medicore graphics made by a gfx rookie than in a game that uses great resources... exacly same great resources every other game does (this is the main problem I have with RPGmaker graphics - every game looks exacly the same). Whenever you are not sure if it's ok to use copywrigted material, assume that it's not ok - that way you won't get hurt.

And don't do Nintendo fangames. They have a weird policy of stoping every fangame that gets far enough in development to be noticed, after hours upon hours of time invested in development you will get an e-mail telling you to stop your work on the game or they'll sue you... incredibly polite e-mail of course. Some companies have no problems with fangames, some do, some even encourage them as something that makes the coummunity stronger.

RipGreamer

Postby RipGreamer » Fri May 20, 2011 9:28 am

Kusy wrote:Protip: don't use nothing you don't have direct right to, make your resources yourself, use free stock resources or organise a team of people who can do them. Maybee it's just me but I'd be way more interested in a game with medicore graphics made by a gfx rookie than in a game that uses great resources... exacly same great resources every other game does (this is the main problem I have with RPGmaker graphics - every game looks exacly the same). Whenever you are not sure if it's ok to use copywrigted material, assume that it's not ok - that way you won't get hurt.

And don't do Nintendo fangames. They have a weird policy of stoping every fangame that gets far enough in development to be noticed, after hours upon hours of time invested in development you will get an e-mail telling you to stop your work on the game or they'll sue you... incredibly polite e-mail of course. Some companies have no problems with fangames, some do, some even encourage them as something that makes the coummunity stronger.

Thanks for that. Well, I am now using my own resources made with several softwares like gimp and sketchup. Yeah, I agree in making games that's unique (especially the ones where others scratch their head and say, "How'd he do it?"). I'm not really a Fangame fan, but sometimes you have to be inspired yet try to make something new even if some elements are "still" there. Anyway, I'm still using some known songs in my game :lol: I think they add the action. Plus, there is a less known composer who let his masterpieces be used for free. He just asks for one thing... put him in the credits :lol: Thanks guys!
PROJECT IN PROGRESS:
I LOVE HORROR GAMES!!!

Jayfeather
001 Subscriber

Postby Jayfeather » Fri May 20, 2011 7:23 pm

Kusy wrote:And don't do Nintendo fangames. They have a weird policy of stoping every fangame that gets far enough in development to be noticed, after hours upon hours of time invested in development you will get an e-mail telling you to stop your work on the game or they'll sue you... incredibly polite e-mail of course. Some companies have no problems with fangames, some do, some even encourage them as something that makes the coummunity stronger.

I've heard a lot of rumors going both ways on this. Including that someone working on a Zelda Fangame was sending fake Nintendo Emails threatening to sue the makers of "competing" fan games if the didn't stop. The Zelda Classic community has been at it over 10 years and has been featured in numerous Game magazines, and as far as I know, Never been sued by Nintendo. Trust me a game that clones one of their classics, and then gives users the tools to create their own fangames would certainly fall dead center in the middle of their radar.

9 times out of 10 fan game makers aren't worth going after, How much are you going to pay a lawyer to sue someone who makes no profit and may be barley getting by financially? Nintendo, being a billion-dollar corporation could certainly afford to eat it by suing (and certainly winning against) a deadbeat defendant, but they are out to make money, not lose it. If you a minor, they can go after your parents. But if you are an adult, who actually owns very little in the way of assets, Then what good is a $1,000,000 judgement against you? Sell everything, maybe get together $1000 - $2000 (not even enough to cover their lawyers fees!) If they want to make a example, yeah they can eat it on a few of these law suits, but the media coverage could do as much to tarnish their company's reputation (Making them out to be a bully) as it does scare other would-be violators.

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Zhuge » Fri May 20, 2011 7:32 pm

If you were to get in any trouble by a company, it would be a DMCA asking you to remove the copyrighted material. Nothing scary, just remove your game and go on.

Mr.Numbers
001 Support

Postby Mr.Numbers » Sat May 21, 2011 12:01 am

Zhuge post is very true.

I have experienced it myself while i was making a private server for maplestory :D
I AM THE ALL MIGHTY SCRIPTING MASTER
Please do not PM me with Engine 001 related questions, rather post on the forums. ;)

Return to Technical Support Questions