The future of model importing

Have any questions or problems in making your game, subscribing and/or using our software? Post here.
Forum rules
Make sure you are using the newest version. This can be downloaded at the top of the site via the "downloads" link.

Use a very good subject. "Problem" or "Help" are unacceptable titles.

Use the search feature before posting a question, as the answer is probably already here.

Subscript out of range error 9: This is a generic error, and we'll need way more information than that to figure out the problem. If you get this, strongly consider following the instructions of submitting your project through the Submit Bug feature within the editor.
SBG
001 Subscriber

The future of model importing

Postby SBG » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:40 pm

Wasn't exactly sure where to post this, or if it's been discussed before in a topic.

I'm wondering if there are any plans to change the way importing models is handled, to something a little more sensible. As it is, is more like an add-on to the 2D sprite importer, which is ok and it works, but I'm thinking it's not the most practical idea to have to import a new model for every animation.

Would there be a way in the future to be able to import one model per "sprite", and then load animation files(i.e. BVH) into the base model for animations? I could imagine it would be a completely different animal than the current system, but from a technical standpoint it would certainly make a lot of sense.

AnvilHouse
001 Support

Re: The future of model importing

Postby AnvilHouse » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:20 pm

BVH support would be awesome, and it has been talked about already. As for your current import method you took the hard way :P

What you are looking for is the Master Model shown below.

From this you can import the model with your set keyframing into it by using the Master Segment option when you click Add Animation.

Then lastly you can edit the start frame and end frame of the animation you added. (If using Blender make sure to change the exported fps to 30)

Which can be found in the render menu on the right side (by default, its the little camera if you need more specifics :P )
Image Image Image

https://www.patreon.com/Anvilhouse ...yes...I am on Patreon!

-The store is under construction-
All items are guaranteed to work with 001 ;)

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:30 pm

Wow I had no idea about any of that lol. But honestly I'm sure I see an advantage to it compared to me just importing new dae files for each animation, and then changing the speed of it using the time scale in the preview option. I just messed around with it and it actually seems a lot more complicated, and I'm still gonna be importing these files for each animation anyway.

AnvilHouse
001 Support

Postby AnvilHouse » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:38 pm

Yeah it really cuts down on mem usage by not needing to have so many instances of the same mesh over and over again. So it is well worth getting used to using it ;)
Image Image Image

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:52 pm

Yeah that's what I figured it was ultimately for. Once I get past my experimental stages I'll start utilizing it, but in the meantime here's hoping for BVH support in the near future.

I use dae file btw. Would that be what I import for my animations, and it just takes the bone movement from it? Is that how it works?

AnvilHouse
001 Support

Postby AnvilHouse » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:05 pm

SBG wrote:I use dae file btw. Would that be what I import for my animations, and it just takes the bone movement from it? Is that how it works?

Yep thats it, Mike set it up to read from the saved keyframes in Blender, but should work with Daz as I think it just bakes bone location for each frame by default.
Image Image Image

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:52 pm

Not sure about Daz, but Posers collada exporter is amazing. It gives the option to export every frame in an animation as a keyframe, something I don't think I did for my current batch. Like I said though, still experimenting.

This is all great info to know though. Thanks for the help bro.

AnvilHouse
001 Support

Postby AnvilHouse » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:46 pm

SBG wrote:Not sure about Daz, but Posers collada exporter is amazing.

Thats right you use poser...knew it was one of the two :lol:

NP ;) Thats what Mike keeps me here for XD
Image Image Image

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:24 pm

Hmm can't seem to control the speed of the animation when I do it that way. Any ideas?

AnvilHouse
001 Support

Postby AnvilHouse » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:32 pm

I believe you will have to change the exported fps in poser, remember the default framerate for gg is 30 fps
Image Image Image

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:14 pm

Poser works differently than Blender I guess. I believe that the overall amount of frames in an animation is what the fps is exported to, and I don't think there's any good way to stretch an animation without redoing it.

Luckily, most of the animations I've made are 30 frames. Not the one I tested though, which was the idle animation at 10 frames(which could easily be tripled, duh). I will have to redo some animations though if I want to take this route.

Still running into some other issues as I dig deeper too, like I've fixed the clipping issues for my clothing, and they look near perfect fully animated in poser, but in the engine it's like I never fixed them. Also clothing animation speed seems to slow down when there is more than one instance of it being processed, i.e. clothing animates just fine with the main actor while walking alone, but I have an NPC walking around and when it enters the processing radius, and the main actor(or any other actor probably) is walking(same animation, same mesh, 2+ instances), the walking animation of both actor clothing items slows down, but not the body. When I switch the animation of the main actor, the NPC goes back to normal. Maybe this is because of how I'm not importing using master models?

AnvilHouse
001 Support

Postby AnvilHouse » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:53 pm

SBG wrote:Still running into some other issues as I dig deeper too, like I've fixed the clipping issues for my clothing, and they look near perfect fully animated in poser, but in the engine it's like I never fixed them.

If using the master model for this make sure to also replace the master segment, I think gg caches the previous model. Ran into this myself when repairing the first models.

SBG wrote:Also clothing animation speed seems to slow down when there is more than one instance of it being processed, i.e. clothing animates just fine with the main actor while walking alone, but I have an NPC walking around and when it enters the processing radius, and the main actor(or any other actor probably) is walking(same animation, same mesh, 2+ instances), the walking animation of both actor clothing items slows down, but not the body. When I switch the animation of the main actor, the NPC goes back to normal. Maybe this is because of how I'm not importing using master models?

Go ahead and send in a bug report for this one so we can take a look at it...this really shouldn't be happening.
Image Image Image

Return to Technical Support Questions