sprite work

General discussion relating to everything except 001.
Forum rules
Please do not post questions concerning the 001 software in this forum.
ashburp
001 Admirer

sprite work

Postby ashburp » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:04 am

i tried using the pixel art method(dot by dot) instead of drawing by hand and this is what i ended up with. any crits are welcome. :)

bastardthomas.jpg

Fireleaf
Ultimate 001 Member

Re: sprite work

Postby Fireleaf » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:44 am

Fantastic! Definitely pro-level pixel art right there. ;)
That guy looks like he has angry eyes (mostly because they are orange).
Hey, I compose custom music for games (for free). PM me about it.

Tales of Northeta:
http://www.engine001.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22467&p=349875#p349875

Sunbreak City:
http://www.engine001.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21483

Shmallow World (tentative progress)
Shmalloween (2010)
Attack-or-Treat
Gongo Warrior

ashburp
001 Admirer

Postby ashburp » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:34 pm

thanks fireleaf! i'm glad you like it. the problem now will be animating him and with all those little details it should only take me a couple of years or so. :D

Mr.Numbers
001 Support

Postby Mr.Numbers » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:37 pm

*jawdrop*
I AM THE ALL MIGHTY SCRIPTING MASTER
Please do not PM me with Engine 001 related questions, rather post on the forums. ;)

ashburp
001 Admirer

Postby ashburp » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:10 pm

thanks mr. numbers. since you guys have had more experience with game making and actual spriting, would you recomend 64x64 (like this one) or would you go 32x32? you get a lot more detail with the 64 that you can't get with the 32, but you also have to make the rest of your resources larger with 64 plus animating it is kind of a bitch. just wanted to know what you guys thought about the pros/cons.

Mr.Numbers
001 Support

Postby Mr.Numbers » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:44 am

It really all depends on the style of game. If its easier to make everything in the long run (a nice finished game) do 32x32. If you can do 64x64, do it ;) It really is all about personal preference and skill.
I AM THE ALL MIGHTY SCRIPTING MASTER
Please do not PM me with Engine 001 related questions, rather post on the forums. ;)

ashburp
001 Admirer

Postby ashburp » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:05 pm

after messing around with 32 i just couldn't get things to look like i wanted so i 'm going with 64 size for characters.
i followed some of the tutorials i found here fore spriting and made this tree. it's just my first experiment so this won't be the finished product.
treeexp2.jpg

any crits or help would be appreciated.

edit** here is one tree with more variety in leaf pattern and lighting. i also did different colors.
treecluster.jpg

Ixayou
001 Translator

Postby Ixayou » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:11 pm

It looks nice, but the tree needs more overall shading. Especially on the green part
ImageThe Rpg Teams Blog!
All published information about our project will be there
http://shadowsofsephtia.blog.com/

ashburp
001 Admirer

Postby ashburp » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:37 pm

thanks for the comments. :) when you say the tree needs more shading do you mean more contrast or do you mean darker overall?

JamX
001 Subscriber

Postby JamX » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:17 am

I think Ixayou was refering to the first pic - I noticed you made a big transition to your second pic on shading.

ashburp
001 Admirer

Postby ashburp » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:11 pm

here are a few if the animations for the main sprite, they still need a lot of work.
spritesheetforweb.jpg

Ixayou
001 Translator

Postby Ixayou » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:43 pm

ashburp wrote:thanks for the comments. :) when you say the tree needs more shading do you mean more contrast or do you mean darker overall?

Jamxx5 wrote:I think Ixayou was refering to the first pic - I noticed you made a big transition to your second pic on shading.

Yes i meant especially on the first pic, as the second one has a slight improvement, but i still think the overall graphic looks a bit flat.

By shading, i mean that the tree should look "rounder", or more "3D". You can do this, by figuring out where on the tree the light hits and shade after that. imagine shading a ball. the leaf chunk is like a ball except it's made out of leaves, so it needs similiar shading like a ball or a sphere would
It's kinda hard to explain actually, as my english isn't the best. But you know those spots where you have shadows? Like where the leaves are darker than the rest? it should be more like that on the lower edges of the chunk. Also, using blue'ish shades looks great for shadows and adds lots of deapth :)

ashburp wrote:here are a few if the animations for the main sprite, they still need a lot of work.
spritesheetforweb.jpg

Your animations are looking great :) If you ever want a job as spriter in a team project we could always use someone who's good at animating :)
ImageThe Rpg Teams Blog!

ashburp
001 Admirer

Postby ashburp » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:17 pm

thanks for the help and comments ixayou. i see what your saying and i was just looking at some pics from the gba sword of mana game. in it they use purple and blue for the deep shadows. it looks really cool so i think i will give that a go and see what it looks like. as for the shading, i'll mess around with that repost and pick your brain some more.

being a spriter would be fun but i don't think i am competent enough to work on your team. plus, if it's just me, then i'm the only person who gets let down when a sprite turns out crappy, not a whole team of people. maybe after i get 1 finished game under my belt, i would be happy to help if you still have an opening. :D

here is a little darker with the ball shading that was mentioned before. also, i used a dark blue for some more depth in the leaves and the trunk.

darkertree.jpg

Ixayou
001 Translator

Postby Ixayou » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:09 pm

I think it looks much better now :D by the way, another tip is to have variating outlining on the leaves. Instead of using such a dark shade that is so contrast to the green (which flattens it out a bit) you could use different dark greens, brightness depending on the shading area. But it all depends on style though, i just talk from my personal taste ;)

And as for the team, this is a long-term project with many people involved (artists as well) so it will probably take a couple years to finish. We're always looking for people so the door is always open ;) Your sprites are looking very good and would fit nicely into our SNES-styled game
ImageThe Rpg Teams Blog!

ashburp
001 Admirer

Postby ashburp » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:37 pm

having some trouble deciding on size again.
castlestart.jpg

should the bricks and floor be bigger because of the character size or should they stay small. i have been staring at it for a while and i can't decide. is there a rule for this i am unaware of?

Ixayou
001 Translator

Postby Ixayou » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:57 pm

If it's an rpg, then it's only the rules the artist himself has made :P I think the reason it looks odd to you, might be because the character has a stronger outlining than the castle, and the coloring on the castle has very little deapth. If you match up the coloring and outlining a bit more, the character might "blend in" to the scenery ;)
ImageThe Rpg Teams Blog!

ashburp
001 Admirer

Postby ashburp » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:59 pm

cool i'll give it a try. thanks :D

Chowow
001 Admirer

Color Pallet?

Postby Chowow » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:27 am

That tree is amazing! I love your art style ashburp. If you want to make the graphics for the whole game easier you can make a color pallet and only use those colors. I was inspired to make some color pallets after seeing Echo Magnum use them. Color pallets make it easier to decide what colors to use when you make graphics. I made four that have 32 colors each.

Chowow-Pallet.PNG
Thanks for reading this post. :)
"There are only two ways to live; as if nothing is a miracle, or as if everything is a miracle."

ashburp
001 Admirer

Postby ashburp » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:31 pm

thanks for the compliment. i'm kinda trash with coloring decisions so a limited color pallet would definitely help. the problem is picking the colors i have no idea where to start but it sounds like a good idea. it would be nice to have a color pallet for an entire level so i might try that to better integrate the graphics. damn you color theory! :x

Chowow
001 Admirer

Postby Chowow » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:59 am

There are several websites that talk about color pallets and things like that. Maybe you could look at some of those.
Thanks for reading this post. :)
"There are only two ways to live; as if nothing is a miracle, or as if everything is a miracle."

ashburp
001 Admirer

Postby ashburp » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:21 am

took a break from some traditional drawing and did this in about an hour and some change. the colors are not set in stone but i just get tired of red and green dragons. :D

any crits are welcome

small
dragonhead.jpg
dragonhead.jpg (42.93 KiB) Viewed 1067 times

detail
dragonheaddetail.jpg

rosareven
001 Supporter

Postby rosareven » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:05 am

Hi ashburp,

Just wow - your work here is what i wanted to be. I feel both inspired and intimidated because of how much work it sounds to be. Please keep it up!

ashburp
001 Admirer

Postby ashburp » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:45 pm

thanx rosareven, i kinda just started pixel art so there are some big problems still with most of my stuff but thank you for the kind words. :)

rosareven
001 Supporter

Postby rosareven » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:54 pm

Do you mind if I ask how do you go about starting the character sprite? Do you draw by hand first then using it as a reference when you draw the pixels, or start straight into the pixel canvas with no reference?

ashburp
001 Admirer

Postby ashburp » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:57 pm

depends on what i'm working on. this i did a handrawn sketch then shrank it with a scanner and went over it with a 1x1 pixel brush. i have a tablet so sometimes i'll just draw directly to the computer.

some redesigns for the main character was inspired by lunar knights and wild frontier.
newcharacterdesign.jpg

Return to General Discussion