Vade Mecum- Horrors of Arcanum Mechanica, UPDATE! 7/2/2013

Tell us about the 001 game you're working on. Show us screenshots. Discuss, promote and share games with others.
Forum rules
If you would like to post about your game, make sure to include screenshots and a long, well-written, thorough description.

Please be positive and understand that not everyone is skilled at using Map001. Games that are similar to other games, or fan games using commercial games' art are perfectly acceptable.

This forum section is dedicated to the discussion of games made with Map001 only.

You must upload your games to above games section of site. Outside links for games are forbidden in this section.
AnvilHouse
001 Support

Vade Mecum- Horrors of Arcanum Mechanica, UPDATE! 7/2/2013

Postby AnvilHouse » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:18 pm

Before going further in the post I would like to say, "Yes it is ambitious, but if you do not try your best then there is no point in trying at all."

Vade Mecum is going through a visual redesign!

Vade Mecum- Horrors of Arcanum Mechanica

The Style- Steampunk/Arcane Fantasy
The Feel- Dark, Emotionally Driven Story and Gameplay in ARPG Format

The Story-

A History of Magick

Being born to a specific astrological sign was an everyday occurrence, until, society embraced the advancement of technology. Slowly, the phenomenon almost completely disappeared. Then out of several famines came seekers of knowledge that chose to pursue the art of the sciences over outdated magick methods. For a short period, both were used in tandem, but disagreements quickly festered. Arguments were constant, knowledge seekers treated magick users as if they were diseased, and magick users started to refer to the mechanical creations as “going against the will of the stars.”

The War of Arcanum

Tensions between the wielders of magicks and followers of science came to a head. Aggression erupted throughout the cities in the forms of riots and massacres. Two factions erupted from the constant carnage, The Apothesis, which were a group of renegade magick users, and The Steam Jockeys, brilliant minds that utilized hulking contraptions to complete everyday tasks. The practice of enchanting moved to underground locations, becoming a sort of illegal trade. As soon as the final Orrery closed to the public, droves of magick users flooded to the streets in protest. The Steam Jockeys were hired by the royal families to keep the peace. Seeing the Jockeys at the front lines, The Apothesis, were outraged and wandered into the deserts. Two years later magick users returned with vengeance, causing tremendous natural disasters. The royal families saw this as a declaration of war and sent thousands of soldiers and machines to quash the rebel mages. The fighting lasted for six years until the magick users numbered under one hundred. Many were captured and sentenced to wear “Sealing Vestments”, which were made by the very magick users that started the rebellion. Very few members of The Apothesis escaped and haven’t been heard from or seen since.

Time of Silence

For twenty-five years technology flourished and magick became a myth. Being born to an astrological sign stopped at the beginning of The War of Arcanum. The royal families used it as propaganda to state that magicks were an abomination of nature and the world chose to snuff it out. All of the various magick driven creations were sealed underground and were thought to be lost to time…

…This all changes now.

The Main Character

ImageImage

Name: Player Chosen
Sign: Player Chosen

Not much is known about this strange character’s history, other than he/she had relatives that died in The War of Arcanum. He/She was an abandoned child set at the steps of a dwarf’s blacksmith shop, he/she was adopted by the wife of the shop’s owner, a human. He/She grew to be strong, but valued adventure more than work ethic, and ran deliveries for the odd couple. The wife of the blacksmith died giving birth to a son. Since then, the adventurous soul began to feel strange. This feeling has grown…and it has wanted out for seventeen years.

Character Generation-
At the beginning of a new game you will be prompted to chose between Male and Female gender of the main character. Character design will be pre-determined based on that selection. (Portraits will be pre-made.) After choosing gender you will be asked to choose which astrological sign your character was born under. Each sign has its’ own sets of magicks and skills. The signs are as follows:
Pisces- Balance, Water
Scorpio- Deceit, Water
Cancer- Indomitable, Water
Taurus- Strength, Earth
Capricorn- Adaptability, Earth
Virgo- Purity, Earth
Aries- Force, Fire
Leo- Pride, Fire
Sagittarius- Precision, Fire
Gemini- Shadow, Air
Aquarius- Fluidity, Air
Libra- Justice, Air

Skills-
Each astrological sign has it’s own set of passive and activated skills, as your character increases in level more skills become available for use.

Hidden Skills-
Hidden skills can be found scattered throughout hidden dungeons and various side quests. All astrological signs are able to learn these powerful assets.

Legacy Skills-
Each astrological sign can be tied to a certain “Unique” character in the world of Vade Mecum. By completing their quest lines, you can learn a special “Legacy Skill”.

Magic-
Magic is based off the four basic elements of Earth, Fire, Air, and Water. Each has its’ own strengths and weaknesses, as your character increases in level more spells become available for use.

Hidden Magics-
Hidden magics can be found scattered throughout hidden dungeons and various side quests. All astrological signs are able to learn these powerful assets.

Items-
Weapons, armor, and some items will have a tier based quality. Higher tiers of items get increased bonuses to defense, damage, restored stats, and increased stats. There will be 5 different tiers. Weapons and armor can be found with additional magical properties that increase certain aspects of the enchanted item. Several “Legend” quality items are scattered throughout the world waiting to be found by curious adventurers.

Weapon Classes-
Swords/Daggers
Bows/Crossbows/Firearms
Spears/Halberds
Axes/Hammers
Battle Gauntlet/Shield Bash

Equipment Slots-
Head- Helmets, Hats, Masks
Neck- Amulets, Necklaces, Chokers
Chest- Clothes, Robes, Body Armor(Breastplates, chain mail, etc.)
Weapon 1/Shield
Weapon 2/Shield
Gloves/Gauntlets
2 Ring Slots
Belt
Boots
Legs- Pants, Skirts, Leg Armor( Plate, chain, etc.)

General Features-
Crafting- Resources can be found from slaying monsters, or harvesting them by brute strength. They can then be used at the local blacksmith shop to create weapons and armor. Animal hides and cloth can be taken to a Seamstress shop to create robes, clothing, and gloves. The options available for crafting are based on your character’s level.
Enchanting- Using the Orrery and certain gems, items can receive bonuses based on star alignment. With higher character levels the strength and amount of enchantments per item increases.
Riddle Chests- Several peculiar looking chests are scattered throughout the world, answer there riddles and treasures large and small await you.
Hidden Dungeons- Need I explain more?

Mini games-
The Uncharted Underground- Explore the depths under the world of Vade Mecum. Discover treasures, hidden spells and skills, hidden dungeon locations, and riddle chest locations and hints. But beware! The undiscovered beasts of the underground don’t take kindly to raiders and grave robbers!

A Little Bit ‘O Piracy- Take to the skies and infiltrate one of the many Airships patrolling the great cloudy blue. Pilfer treasures of untold power, or extort information from the crew. It’s a pirate’s life for me!

Defend the Walls!- Some regions of the world are constantly assaulted by harassing enemies. Will you take up the call and become a sell sword in the name of defending the weak?

Raid the City!- Take up arms and extort those you consider weak! Everyone has a little bit of an evil side.

Pest Control- Bulby have overrun Farmer Donahue’s vegetable patch! Break out your sharpest blade and do a little bit of pruning. Features 10 waves of bulby hordes and 1 Elder Bulby boss.

Want to join me on this amazing project? Send me a PM!
I am currently looking for:

Female voice acting for main character.

List of needed phrases and tone. ( If no tone is set for a phrase consider it normal speech.)
Yes
No
Never
Absolutely
Better End This Quick- Tone: Hurried/Urgent
It Can’t End Like This- Tone: Desperation
This Ends Here- Tone: Quick, Angry
You’ve Got to be Kidding- Tone: Disbelief
Death Scream
Being Struck Grunt
3 Progressive Weapon Swing Grunts in separate sound files
1-3 Different short length laugh sequences in separate sound files.

-Make sure the audio is clear, and waste audio(Silence before and after the recorded sound/voice) is kept to 6 seconds maximum, 2 seconds minimum. Ambient noise removal is not required but greatly appreciated.
-Make sure the audio is in a format recognized by 001.<---I can’t stress this enough! It can be very annoying to have audio files that do not work for its intended purpose!
-Pitch correction is welcome if needed, keep in mind that pitch correction may be used unless specified by contributor.

Important!- If you intend to fulfill this request please send or link me to an audio sample of your making. Also, if you are intending to submit content for this project in the form of voice acting, it would greatly be appreciated if you would plan on being integrated into this project so the same person is doing all of the audio for a specific character. This is necessary to keep the continuity of the project intact.

All contributed assets will be fully credited to their respective owners. On completion of final product, all contributors will be contacted to negotiate terms on sale and use of content if applicable. Once contacted, contributors must be at minimum the age of 18 or have a parent/legal guardian present. If these conditions aren’t met then any form of compensation or use of said content based on agreement is null and void. Agreement of compensation can be waived at any point by the contributor through digital notice by email(Removed link due to games section rules.)), or by PM in the Engine 001 forum(AnvilHouse). If waived, submitted content will be considered legal for use based on Creative Commons Attribution requirements.(All works will remain credited to respective contributors regardless of monetary compensation.) Monetary compensation is based on the completion of the final product when it is released for sale to the general public, if this is not met, compensation is to be considered void outside the realm of Creative Commons Attribution requirements.

I suggest that if you are under the age of 18, ask your parents for permission before submitting content to be used. (That is if you do intend to become a large contributor to this project.)
Thank You

Screenshots!

HUD Screenshot.png
HUD/Interace Screenshot

World Map Base.png
Map Menu

Donahue's-Farm-Pre-Final-Textures.gif
The Farm-80% Finished

Concept Title 2.png
New Title Screen

Screenshot.gif

More to come soon!
Last edited by AnvilHouse on Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:54 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Image Image Image

https://www.patreon.com/Anvilhouse ...yes...I am on Patreon!

-The store is under construction-
All items are guaranteed to work with 001 ;)

Fireleaf
Ultimate 001 Member

Re: Vade Mecum- Horrors of Arcanum Mechanica

Postby Fireleaf » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:43 pm

Sounds very ambitious. I have some of the same kinds of things in Tales of Northeta (wall defense, riddles, and such) no piracy though. Any screenshots yet?
Hey, I compose custom music for games (for free). PM me about it.

Tales of Northeta:
http://www.engine001.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22467&p=349875#p349875

Sunbreak City:
http://www.engine001.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21483

Shmallow World (tentative progress)
Shmalloween (2010)
Attack-or-Treat
Gongo Warrior

AnvilHouse
001 Support

Postby AnvilHouse » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:54 pm

No not yet, I am going to power through a whole week of just designing the custom sprites (I am making everything from scratch, no offense to the defaults.)
Image Image Image

Dunce
001 Forum Master

Postby Dunce » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:59 am

No no, it's a good thing to use full custom graphics. The default art is there to give people a good start at learning the program.

Mr.Numbers
001 Support

Postby Mr.Numbers » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:09 pm

I see you finished your picture ;) It looks great! :D

Also did a quick read-through, man it sounds like you have alot of awesome stuff being thrown into this game ;) I can't wait to see it!
I AM THE ALL MIGHTY SCRIPTING MASTER
Please do not PM me with Engine 001 related questions, rather post on the forums. ;)

AnvilHouse
001 Support

Re: Vade Mecum- Horrors of Arcanum Mechanica, UPDATE! 4/5/20

Postby AnvilHouse » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:14 pm

Absolutely big update! Hard to believe, but I don't think I will be done scheming yet. :lol: It feels good to be back even if it was just for a few days. ;)
------------

I have realized that my coding is as good as a 90 year old using a computer for the first time. After staying up until 2 AM this morning with no results shown I have decided to look for help for coding! Details are at bottom of main post!
Image Image Image

Gamerdude
001 Support

Postby Gamerdude » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:16 pm

What kind of scripting would you need? Advanced obviously, but like what?

AnvilHouse
001 Support

Postby AnvilHouse » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:36 pm

Gamerdude wrote:What kind of scripting would you need? Advanced obviously, but like what?

The main thing right now...after I completely finish the whole set of menus graphics wise is a drag and drop system for items, quickslots, automatic item pickup inventory allotment(auto add items to custom inventory) and pretty soon here running character creation once the graphics are finished for that(Name input, gender selection, sign selection). You know the whole shabang. I am in no hurry at the moment to get things coded in because I don't want to have someone sitting and waiting for me to rush out sub-standard graphics.

in a nutshell lots lol...My competency as a programmer currently consists of nil :D That's why I am offering full partnership to whoever is capable and willing to join me. I want to make this game a big draw in for 001 and hopefully minimally profitable at the least. Plus it has always been a dream of mine since I was 6 to see my name in big letters in a credits reel. It is the least I can do for you awesome people.
Image Image Image

BluedudeX-2

Postby BluedudeX-2 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:18 am

Looks like a great game, the story is intresting and i love the artwork that you posted of that characters, hud, and the other pics, and you got me when you said the game will have a emotionally driven story and gameplay which i love in rpg games, can't wait to play!

AnvilHouse
001 Support

Postby AnvilHouse » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:43 pm

Added tectured world map menu. I plan on having interactive maps showing visited cities, interesting locations and dungeon locations revealed as you explore. Will also have maps showing shops within city limits and important buildings. All of which will have mouse-over names and descriptions where needed.

83 post views overnight :D I think I need to step up my graphics production!
Image Image Image

Gamerdude
001 Support

Re: Vade Mecum- Horrors of Arcanum Mechanica, UPDATE! 4/9/20

Postby Gamerdude » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:21 am

Looking good man. Any updates?

AnvilHouse
001 Support

Postby AnvilHouse » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:44 am

I have graphics to do yet for the some of the menus. Started basic menu navigation scripting.
Still have to complete "birth sign" choice for character creation. Extremely heavy graphics wise!

Started outlining the frames for beginning cinematics, running barebones concept sketches for story events.
I am all over the place lol

Have to rework the main character sprites before I debut with them. In the mean time...

Want to know what the cute little Bulby's second stage in life is...drumroll please!

The Elder Bulby!
Elder Bulby.png
Elder Bulby.png (4.76 KiB) Viewed 1674 times
Image Image Image

Gamerdude
001 Support

Postby Gamerdude » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:02 am

So they evolve? Or just two separate enemy types?

AnvilHouse
001 Support

Postby AnvilHouse » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:11 am

Instead of running a simple recolor or slight sprite tweak, I decided to break the mold and show the change in difficulty by having the enemies go to later stages in life. Higher levels equals larger monsters. It will make for some interesting mob combat. ;)

On the evolution subject...Well I have had ideas about Bulby farming after you run the Pest Control minigame. "Grow Your Own Minion" if you will. So the main character can have a traveling bank or combat partner in there adventures.

I am just putting a stop to any additional feature addons so I don't get overwhelmed before the beta demo releases in the future.
Image Image Image

Gamerdude
001 Support

Postby Gamerdude » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:20 am

Ah that's pretty cool, a companion.

AnvilHouse
001 Support

Re: Vade Mecum- Horrors of Arcanum Mechanica, UPDATE! 4/17/2

Postby AnvilHouse » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:37 am

Small Update!

4/17/2013

evs
001 Admirer

Postby evs » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:49 pm

sounds ambitious. i like that . no point aiming to make a shet game now is there. ill be interested to see what happens with your graphics. they look cool so far.. especially the heads up is a good touch

AnvilHouse
001 Support

Postby AnvilHouse » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:31 pm

evs wrote:sounds ambitious. i like that . no point aiming to make a shet game now is there. ill be interested to see what happens with your graphics. they look cool so far.. especially the heads up is a good touch

Thanks! I am actually in the process of changing the style of enemy and character graphics along with the title screen. Anyone watching for updates be prepared for the huge content release after a week or two when I return to the forums.

I am going to make it priority #1 to make you squeal like a little girl in anticipation. :lol: No promises, but I might even have some test play footage of an area... ;)
Image Image Image

evs
001 Admirer

Postby evs » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:22 pm

ohhhhw

AnvilHouse
001 Support

Re: Vade Mecum- Horrors of Arcanum Mechanica, UPDATE! 5/5/20

Postby AnvilHouse » Sun May 05, 2013 6:56 pm

Back from a super hectic weekish...Added Donahue's farm map Preview, added new title concept image, anyone know a decent free capture program? If I find one then I could do a quick play vid!

Enjoy everyone!
Image Image Image

BluedudeX-2

Postby BluedudeX-2 » Mon May 06, 2013 1:48 am

camstudio is the first free capture software that comes to mind

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Mon May 06, 2013 12:25 pm

Camstudio kinda sucks, as does hypercam. I recommend fraps, they have a free version.

Mr.Numbers
001 Support

Postby Mr.Numbers » Mon May 06, 2013 4:55 pm

The free version of fraps only allow up to 30 seconds or so per videos though...

If watermarks don't bother you, bandicam works fairly nice :)

Hypercam works good if you know how to set it up properly. If you wanna record in HD with it, look for the Lagarith Lossless codec
I AM THE ALL MIGHTY SCRIPTING MASTER
Please do not PM me with Engine 001 related questions, rather post on the forums. ;)

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Mon May 06, 2013 5:03 pm

Yeah, I really recommend HyperCam as well - it's how all the 001 videos were done, and it has the best performance - it's also free.

BluedudeX-2

Postby BluedudeX-2 » Tue May 07, 2013 12:05 am

I dont like canstudio either it was the first to come to my mind :P

AnvilHouse
001 Support

Re: Vade Mecum- Horrors of Arcanum Mechanica, UPDATE! 6/2/20

Postby AnvilHouse » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:00 pm

It's been a month but I am not dead! I would like to announce graphics for the menus (excluding sound menu) have been completed! Item graphics are being worked on currently... last time I counted I am up to 67 graphics for items alone and plan on adding soo many more!

As a sneak peek I put together this little preview of a few spear and sword designs.
Weapons Preview 1.png
Weapons Preview 1.png (4.77 KiB) Viewed 1661 times

Here is also a preview of one of the tutorial panes, without text.
Tutorial-Window.gif

Officially started the 3d modeling for animated cutscenes and finished the base models for the female main and 5 npcs. 3 monster concepts are drawn but, I have no way to get something that is hand sketched up on the web. (Super poor dude here)

Many, many more to come!

On another note

Visited a few businesses around my new location and I have multiple agreements set up for advertising locally. 2 of the local card shops and the mobile icecream service are just some of the businesses. Vade Mecum will be fully licensed (saving up for a years subby!) and will be on Kickstarter upon demo completion! I am also working on talks with one of the owners of a card shop to help host a simulcast demo release party on midnight of the day it is released!

More news! The owner of the card shop also has a 3d printer in shop and we are negotiating on having Vade Mecum Character statues!

Well lots of developments! I will keep everyone posted!
Image Image Image

Not Me
001 Subscriber

Postby Not Me » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:12 pm

Wow. All of that is amazing.
The above image is totally not a link to my website.

Scaveleon
001 Translator

Postby Scaveleon » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:15 pm

By the way, with the astrological signs, were you striving for mythical accuracy when you gave each sign attributes? I ask because I'm an avid reader of astrology and because some of the associations with each sign are correct, but some of them are off as well.
MIV wrote:It's definitely not The Epic Game of Loladin as the screenshot said.
Nor is it The Epic Game of Loladin Happy Face.

SoundCloud
Project blog

AnvilHouse
001 Support

Postby AnvilHouse » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:31 pm

Scaveleon wrote:By the way, with the astrological signs, were you striving for mythical accuracy when you gave each sign attributes? I ask because I'm an avid reader of astrology and because some of the associations with each sign are correct, but some of them are off as well.

Yes and no, I took some of them to heart and changed up some to make it more differentiated. So yes the it was intentional and I am glad someone picked up on that! ;)
Image Image Image

Scaveleon
001 Translator

Postby Scaveleon » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:51 pm

Well, you can still switch some of the attributes for accuracy while retaining your original terms for them. An simple but obvious would be switching Adaptability to Cancer and Capricorn to Indomitable. Well, I think Pisces is a better sign for Adaptability, but for simplicity's sake. Then again, it's your game, you should do as you wish. :)
MIV wrote:It's definitely not The Epic Game of Loladin as the screenshot said.
Nor is it The Epic Game of Loladin Happy Face.

SoundCloud
Project blog

AnvilHouse
001 Support

Re: Vade Mecum- Horrors of Arcanum Mechanica, UPDATE! 7/2/20

Postby AnvilHouse » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:50 pm

Been almost 2 months since the last update!

Now that I know what I am doing scripting wise I have to do some major changes to some of my interfaces.

I have begun development on the leveling system, I am no longer using the base 001 system and am moving to an attribute point system that effects a myriad of things such as:

-Damage calculation
-Spells and skills that can be upgraded through Skill points
-Spell bonuses to stats and effects
-Spell duration
-Speed of attack and movement
-Distance and parabolic arc calculation of weapons like bows and a new class of throwing weapons
-A non-combat skill set based on resource collection and item creation
-Success of crafting and increased chance of "expertise" bonuses to crafted items
-Equip-able weapon requirements

With this I am also stepping out from the normal "item merge" crafting and adding more personal touches to the system such as:

-Adding a smithing interface allowing the player to "hammer out" weapons and armors by using the mouse.
-Adding a sewing interface allowing the player to create hats/clothing/etc. with the mouse.
-Also adding quick craft options to bypass these interfaces, but at the cost of receiving crafting bonuses to items but retaining exp gained.
-Animated sequence during enchanting where the mouse is used to draw out desired symbols of selected enchantment type.

As mentioned above in the first list I will be creating a non-combat skill set!
Some of the skills I plan to add in:

-Mining
-Blacksmithing
-Sewing(Can't think of a better word atm)
-Foraging
-Fishing
-Chemistry

I am more than happy to here out any additional skills people would like to see in the game!
If you have any suggestions feel free to post here!
Image Image Image

ChaosJester

Postby ChaosJester » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:35 pm

AnvilHouse wrote:No not yet, I am going to power through a whole week of just designing the custom sprites (I am making everything from scratch, no offense to the defaults.)

I have a question. Are you making all this in blender and putting everything in the engine? I'm just wondering and I'm a noob be light on me.

AnvilHouse
001 Support

Postby AnvilHouse » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:07 pm

Character sprites, enemies, buildings, deco. objects I am running through blender, then exporting each animation frame as .png files (Works like screen capping each movement or stop motion animation) I then toss those .png files in to photoshop for retouching and sequencing. From there I either leave it as png or change it to a gif depending on detail level. Seems complicated, but it is super easy to do. My menus/interface gfx along with tile I run by hand in photoshop.

After the images are completed I import them into 001 and fiddle with them as needed. If you have any questions after this feel free to pm me! I always like to help!
Image Image Image

evs
001 Admirer

Postby evs » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:29 am

custom crafting sounds super cool

The Standard Weapons are looking cool too
Last edited by evs on Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Automatically merged double post.

Return to Games In Progress