AMC Quiz!!!

Tell us about the 001 game you're working on. Show us screenshots. Discuss, promote and share games with others.
Forum rules
If you would like to post about your game, make sure to include screenshots and a long, well-written, thorough description.

Please be positive and understand that not everyone is skilled at using Map001. Games that are similar to other games, or fan games using commercial games' art are perfectly acceptable.

This forum section is dedicated to the discussion of games made with Map001 only.

You must upload your games to above games section of site. Outside links for games are forbidden in this section.
Oisin_Successfullo

AMC Quiz!!!

Postby Oisin_Successfullo » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:14 pm

My team and I are slaving away at many projects one of which is 'AMC Quiz!!!'
There are 2 different modes;
Solo- Play a mindblowing video game. Computers have gone missing and the playable character (choice) must solve many levels and quizzes to find out the truth!

Multi- A quiz game for 2-4 players with hundreds of questions!

The characters will be from other projects; eg Branchman from the Branchman games.

More info soon.
This is the first 'AMC Family Range' title.

I nearly forgot;
This will be the 1st title to impliment AMC Avatars.
What are AMC Avatars?
The term given to customisable characters (like Nintendo Miis)

It will also use AMCDLC (downloadable content)
Last edited by Oisin_Successfullo on Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Automatically merged double post.
Aaron McCarthy (AMC)
X-President of AMC Gamez
Creator of Branchman, the Slime Beasts and Rupert Bane Lee (RBL)
Copywrite holder of the Branchman characteer

coffeennicotine
001 Fanatic

Re: AMC Quiz!!!

Postby coffeennicotine » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:36 pm

These kinds of games can become tedious to make, but with a team and the right inclinations it can also be a blast. :D

Um, gotta ask tho, what's up with the sig? :?

Gamerdude
001 Support

Postby Gamerdude » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:49 pm

AMC Gamez wrote:It will also use AMCDLC (downloadable content)

I don't really see how that would work... :?

Please elaborate? :)

coffeennicotine
001 Fanatic

Postby coffeennicotine » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:40 pm

Maybe through the 'save/load' feature? Like additional content will be a save file you get from wherever....an installer in that file will install it into the 'saved' folder in 001, or it could be done manually. Then when you load a game, you're acutally loading the new content.

Dunno, workarounds can be weird, just a thought

Oisin_Successfullo

Postby Oisin_Successfullo » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:10 pm

coffeennicotine wrote:Maybe through the 'save/load' feature? Like additional content will be a save file you get from wherever....an installer in that file will install it into the 'saved' folder in 001, or it could be done manually. Then when you load a game, you're acutally loading the new content.

Dunno, workarounds can be weird, just a thought

You are heading along the right track.
Gustave DeGama, our website manager, has told me he has it all under control.
The thing we could do with knowing is how to impliment multiplayer so that each time P2 clicks on a certain key he/she gets to answer and gets points taken/added.
Aaron McCarthy (AMC)
X-President of AMC Gamez
Creator of Branchman, the Slime Beasts and Rupert Bane Lee (RBL)
Copywrite holder of the Branchman characteer

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Zhuge » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:06 am

I saw the trailer on youtube...

coffeennicotine
001 Fanatic

Postby coffeennicotine » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:51 pm

What I'm about to say may sound harsh. That's why I want to say now that people behind AMC seem to really want to make games. And that energy is a good thing. I just hate seeing you all aim this energy in a direction that is futile and self-defeating.

If AMC Gamez is going to take itself as seriously as it is, you're going to need to get yourselves a graphic artist or have a member of your team who is artistic devote themselves to learning a good graphics program like Photoshop or GIMP (free). Because I'll say right here that nobody on your team knows how to use one. At all. Stop trying to run before you walk and learn this stuff, because you're looking a little silly when all this talk is compared with what has been produced.

Seriously, pull a team member off what they're doing and have that person devote themselves to studying a graphics program and other sprited games to see how it's done. Develop this persons skills and have them oversee the art in your games. You'll need at least 1 person like this per game you try to make. Don't try to dick with the ratio. 1:1 is where you want to be.

You may want to copy/paste this message and email it to the president of AMC. I think it behooves him to read it. Please try to keep in mind that I'm not trying to flame here. I'm just trying to give you all some good, honest advice.

~CnN

Lord Cohliani
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Lord Cohliani » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:53 pm

Down-loadable content is impossible with a 001 game. The only "DLC" would be new versions.

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Zhuge » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:03 pm

Nah, it's possible the way he's doing it. But it's rather pointless.

Lord Cohliani
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Lord Cohliani » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:04 pm

What is he doing?

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Zhuge » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:07 pm

You finish a game then you get a key or something then you type that in in a program or another project. It's really confusing and not worth the trouble when you can slap up the icons on wallpapers on a website.

coffeennicotine
001 Fanatic

Postby coffeennicotine » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:08 pm

There are free MMORPG makers that would be better suited to the "DLC" feature you want. If this feature is a high priority, I suggest developing on those.

Pushing the limits of an game engine can be fun. But when there is a viable alternative to reach the goals you want, it just wastes everybodys time developing on the wrong engine. Do yourselves a favor, and abandon the DLC idea on this platform, and focus on making great games :D

Lord Cohliani
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Lord Cohliani » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:21 pm

Seriously. It's not real DLC, it's just a key system that we use on a crummy program you wrote which will probably give us viruses. Why don't you just include it all in the same game and host it in the games section?

And don't be so cocky! Even I, who has been around this forum for some time, don't ever make rash remarks saying that my game is so good. You act like some professional businessman who owns a company, and you're really some little kid who makes horrible games. Why don't you just work on the graphics, act like the child you are, and make a regular game!

I even remember making a topic on this kind of stuff a while back.

coffeennicotine
001 Fanatic

Postby coffeennicotine » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:24 pm

Lord Cohliani wrote:What is he doing?

With DLC, they are probably going to end up wiring up a player usable interface that only they know who to open while playing the game. This interface will allow access to empty variables that they will fill in with the questions and answers. when they save the game their new questions/answers will be saved into the variables, and they will offer these save files as "DLC". I guess you just put the file wherever saves go.

I don't know about how this affects the TOS of 001.... Also, security questions dog this issue in my mind.

Lord Cohliani wrote:Seriously. It's not real DLC, it's just a key system that we use on a crummy program you wrote which will probably give us viruses. Why don't you just include it all in the same game and host it in the games section?

And don't be so cocky! Even I, who has been around this forum for some time, don't ever make rash remarks saying that my game is so good. You act like some professional businessman who owns a company, and you're really some little kid who makes horrible games. Why don't you just work on the graphics, act like the child you are, and make a regular game!

I even remember making a topic on this kind of stuff a while back.

coffeennicotine wrote:What I'm about to say may sound harsh. That's why I want to say now that people behind AMC seem to really want to make games. And that energy is a good thing. I just hate seeing you all aim this energy in a direction that is futile and self-defeating.

If AMC Gamez is going to take itself as seriously as it is, you're going to need to get yourselves a graphic artist or have a member of your team who is artistic devote themselves to learning a good graphics program like Photoshop or GIMP (free). Because I'll say right here that nobody on your team knows how to use one. At all. Stop trying to run before you walk and learn this stuff, because you're looking a little silly when all this talk is compared with what has been produced.

Seriously, pull a team member off what they're doing and have that person devote themselves to studying a graphics program and other sprited games to see how it's done. Develop this persons skills and have them oversee the art in your games. You'll need at least 1 person like this per game you try to make. Don't try to dick with the ratio. 1:1 is where you want to be.

You may want to copy/paste this message and email it to the president of AMC. I think it behooves him to read it. Please try to keep in mind that I'm not trying to flame here. I'm just trying to give you all some good, honest advice.

~CnN

Just scale it back a bit Guest. Boldness leads to backlash if you can't back it up. I myself am interested to play this game if the "DLC" bit is dropped. Don't get discouraged, just ease back and go with the flow. :D
Last edited by coffeennicotine on Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Zhuge » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:35 pm

Please don't be bold and rude guys. Just tell him stuff you don't like/like about the game. You don't have to pick at him and the way he and his team acts. If you don't like his game, fine. But don't say that they are horrible.

Lord Cohliani
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Lord Cohliani » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:37 pm

Yeah, I'm sorry, the games might not be horrible but you boast that you have great graphics and there are barely any customs!

coffeennicotine
001 Fanatic

Postby coffeennicotine » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:46 pm

ZhugeLiang wrote:Please don't be bold and rude guys. Just tell him stuff you don't like/like about the game. You don't have to pick at him and the way he and his team acts. If you don't like his game, fine. But don't say that they are horrible.

Agreed. And for my part I don't want you, Oisin, or anyone to stop making games or feel alienated. Everyone with AMC just has all this creative energy and I guess I just really want to see it aimed in a positive direction. Ok, enough. I'm back on topic. ;)

albertappleton
001 Supporter

Postby albertappleton » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:43 pm

ZhugeLiang wrote:I saw the trailer on youtube...

Oh that load of nonsense? That's a pathetic trailer that x-president AARON (not Oisin who is merely a fictitious character in Teamo Successfullo) threw on utube.
One of the Golden AMC Rulez iis NOT to reveal info until the game is far in development.
So he violated this G.A.R. and made a crappe video while at it.
This is why the rest of us at AMC kicked him out permenantly.

coffeennicotine wrote:What I'm about to say may sound harsh. That's why I want to say now that people behind AMC seem to really want to make games. And that energy is a good thing. I just hate seeing you all aim this energy in a direction that is futile and self-defeating.

~CnN

Thank you most sincerely for that advice. I sent an ETS to Jonathon Skylark telling him to take up art.
Thanks for the advice but while Jonathon's drawing resources etc the rest of us will use AMC Prototypez until we can insert the proper resources.
Thanks again!!
Last edited by albertappleton on Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GONE

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:56 am

coffeennicotine wrote:
ZhugeLiang wrote:Please don't be bold and rude guys. Just tell him stuff you don't like/like about the game. You don't have to pick at him and the way he and his team acts. If you don't like his game, fine. But don't say that they are horrible.

Agreed. And for my part I don't want you, Oisin, or anyone to stop making games or feel alienated. Everyone with AMC just has all this creative energy and I guess I just really want to see it aimed in a positive direction. Ok, enough. I'm back on topic. ;)

Very well... but I frankly believe you can do this without DLC, so keep trying. For a quiz, graphics aren't too important (although if there are any I'd like to see them moderately fine, if you really can't make your own try modifying a bit off Pierre's), so focus on the scripts.
Make a full one on 001, and when it actually works, perhaps success can be guaranteed.
Chill, don't worry too much about the company, it's the game that matters more.
"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

Apocalypse I Act I: //////////////////// - 25% Done, Demo v0.3
AVAILABLE: http://www.engine001.com/games/Apocalypse+I+-+Act+I_601.htm
Please play through the full game, or PM me for hints and easter eggs.

The M4 Team Salutes You.

Return to Games In Progress