Fonts and Copyright

General discussion relating to everything except 001.
Forum rules
Please do not post questions concerning the 001 software in this forum.
JamX
001 Subscriber

Fonts and Copyright

Postby JamX » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:49 am

I've been dying to know if fonts are copywritten.

I've been using Accent SF and Super Black SF.
Are these safe to use commercially in logos and stuff?

SBG
001 Subscriber

Re: Fonts and Copyright

Postby SBG » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:23 am

Usually when you download a font, there will be copyright info either with the package or on the site you get it from. If that doesn't help, you may want to try a google search. But yes, some fonts are copyrighted.

Samulis
001 Fanatic

Postby Samulis » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:49 pm

A google search generally yields a result.

If the font is older than 75 years, it's in the open domain, btw... or fonts like Times, where they are so used you can't copyright them (or at least, I think so). There's a general selection of fonts that are safe. Some other fonts have commercial/non-commercial licenses.

Accent appears free non-commercial.

The other one looks non-commercial, but one site had it listed as commercial, but no link to the owner, so I'm not sure.

JamX
001 Subscriber

Postby JamX » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:58 pm

Well, thanks I guess...

I only plan to use the Accent font as my logo - heavily modified (with text effects) but recognisable.
I wish I knew if these were free to use commercially - they even came with my computer so they should be free.

Takes quite some work just to find if I can use a font in a logo. I'll just keep on searching.

Lee
001 Support

Postby Lee » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:53 am

I'm not sure about this. Fonts can be copyrighted but it doesn't seem to be a big deal compared to other copyright claims. Alomerain and companies alike use different fonts all of the time to build web sites and not once are we called out for using copyrighted fonts. Though with that said we often use web-safe fonts that are present on everyone's computers.

The same can be said about logos, as again logo design often comes with a built web site and it has never been seen as an issue. Whenever I create a text logo I don't go out of my way to create a completely new font. I sometimes modify fonts to add an extra big of uniqueness but not always and the same can be said for every other company that designs logos.
Lee - 001 Community Manager

Return to General Discussion