I dont know what to do with my life! :(

General discussion relating to everything except 001.
Forum rules
Please do not post questions concerning the 001 software in this forum.
Ixayou
001 Translator

I dont know what to do with my life! :(

Postby Ixayou » Mon May 10, 2010 6:10 pm

I just relized i have gotten to a crossroad :( I was thinking on what to choose on high school. My choices are the Music, Dance and Drama line and the normal line with math, science and all that stuff.
I am smart enough to go three years normal (sorry i dont know what it is on english) and if i do that i can chose whatever i want when i go to university. I thought that if i go down that road i want to be (i dont know what it is on english but its people who program computers and programs like microsoft does and they make sweet money!). But i really hate school, so badly, aswell as math (im good at it though) i picture that im going to be overloaded in work and end up being depressed wishing i could do something else. Then when im done with studies i end up working 24/7 with no free time for doing what i like, aka music. But ill make sweet money, and probably wont have to worry about financial kinds of things.

The Music, Dance and Drama line seems like a very funny line. I was there once seing what all of the lines did, and that seemed like the most interesting one. My big dream has always been to be a musican. I love music, if i could chose between music and eating i would chose music, i love playing music and i have even written a couple of songs (they suck though)
But if i chose that line, im not sure what i can do at the university (or collage or whatever you may call it). The school isnt so good at providing information about that. They just said that if you work with music, your most likely to become a music teacher. ah well, im fine with that. But what bothers me, is that im afraid i wont get a good job. Im afraid that i wont have a job that gives good pay. My parents wasnt really very supportive for me going down that road, they liked it better when i suggested the first one. My mom just told be that if i want to have success in that kinds of job i need to be very skilled. I have only been learning guitar for 7 months, im not so good but im practicing hard on sweep picking. I learned my pixel art skill in one year, i think i could get better at music in 6?

I've even been thinking of chosing the first one, and doing music on the side of that but then i am afraid that instead of being very good at one thing and very bad at another, i will be bad at both.

I need some advice. Please help me decide! :(
ImageThe Rpg Teams Blog!
All published information about our project will be there
http://shadowsofsephtia.blog.com/

Stephen Chapman
001 Forum Master

Re: I dont know what to do with my life! :(

Postby Stephen Chapman » Mon May 10, 2010 7:28 pm

I have been caught in the same situation recently, although, I didn't know what I wanted to do. I am at the moment in a University course that provides both design aspects and computer aspects, and I am not sure which one I would like to focus on, or even sure if I want to focus on them at all! Your best bet may be to do Music, seeing as it is a strong passion in your life at the moment. Only do something you are truly motivated to do. You would even be good in graphic design from what I've seen of your work, but I don't wanna start adding to many choices to your list ;) In the end, it isn't our choice, it's yours and whatever you are happy with.

Ixayou
001 Translator

Postby Ixayou » Tue May 11, 2010 1:22 am

i know and im not trying to push the choice over to someone else, but i just need some directions, or experiences or something. I came here because i cant talk to friends and relatives about it, because friends say "oh your so talented pick music" and relatives say "oh your so smart pick computers". In this forum no one actually knows me in real life so i can tell my version from skratch. And i dont know a single bad guy in here! :]
I know that some people say i have to follow my dreams and stuff, but i have heard so many times from my mom who complaints about how she wished she got a better education and got a job that gives better pay. She have told me so many times to focus on getting a job that gives a good pay. The job i thought of gives about four times as much as hers, and i dont mind working with computers. Its something i can do pretty well. But still, it will probably be tiering after a while. Plus, on the music line, they do dance and drama too and i suck at both of those :P
and im not a very energic person and they dont seem to do anything else but weird excersizes and those kinds of things... Maybe ill get used to it, or idk. Atleast i dont think my parents want me to go that line they want me to take the other one. I dont think they know how much i love music, and if they do they probably think its just some teenager thing that will pass. But they dont even know that im an artist at all. I havent shown them any of my sketchbooks or pixel art, except for one ugly sketch when i first started drawing. My mother called metal people for "churchburners" so i havent told her that metal and screamo is the best thing i know. Its like they dont know me, they dont know what im capable of. They think im a shy girl who is good at school and is learning to play guitar. Maybe i shouldnt listen to their opinion in this?

It feels like i have to pick between whats right and what feels good :?
ImageThe Rpg Teams Blog!

patatoface
001 Forum Master

Postby patatoface » Tue May 11, 2010 2:44 am

do what i do, don't worry about it for now something may come up and might not be able to do one of them. te trick to a good job is having marks and degrees so be realy good in school study hard at whatever make your self look good in front of teachers (it sounds tacky but it works all my teachers love me) and son't get in trouble. it should come to though if you ask me (on no basis of what you want personally) you should pick computers or as it is called in english IT (information technology) as it pays better in most cases though it depends on what you are good at and what you like
oh and don't lets your parents control what career you pick

Ixayou
001 Translator

Postby Ixayou » Tue May 11, 2010 3:39 am

Yeah i Think its called IT engineer or something. I want to work with that my parents want it too but i dont think im that kind of person really. My mind say IT but my heart say music
ImageThe Rpg Teams Blog!

Scaveleon
001 Translator

Postby Scaveleon » Tue May 11, 2010 5:11 am

IT requires more than what you use in 001. I considered IT too as a path, though I ditched the idea. Generally I'm not good at languages besides english, be it a scripting language or what. My mind knows how scripting works, but you can't get it into code.

The first you should think about is what your desires in life are. What do you wish to accomplish? I myself have 3 goals to accomplish. Pick a few that requires work, then work from there. If it's heartfeld truly your wish to live from music, then you should take that path.

As for the choices, it's important to have a backup. Don't ever play stuff risky, so take a normal college graduation. Some music jobs doesn't require education, but you're still young when you finish college. Some people first get to get their dream job at the age of 30 - Think about that.
MIV wrote:It's definitely not The Epic Game of Loladin as the screenshot said.
Nor is it The Epic Game of Loladin Happy Face.

SoundCloud
Project blog

Ixayou
001 Translator

Postby Ixayou » Tue May 11, 2010 5:41 am

So.. Maybe i should take math, science and all that Stuff for high school, but still do music in my free time. But im afraid i wont Get the time to develop as a musican, and have to spend Much of my freetime for studying and homework. I think i should see a school conselour about this, maybe i can Get some help to chose.
ImageThe Rpg Teams Blog!

Stephen Chapman
001 Forum Master

Postby Stephen Chapman » Tue May 11, 2010 5:55 am

I am actually studying IT at the moment at University. If you want to do that, prepare to learn about databases, and making programs in Visual Basic or equivalent. So far, I am not enjoying it as much as I thought I would. Hence, I am still lost in my direction in life.

hellblade
001 Forum Master

Postby hellblade » Tue May 11, 2010 6:32 am

Yeah, and for IT you have to learn Schmatic Diagrams that arn't fun to make..like Entity Relationship Diagrams (ERDs) (Stephen may know how to do these :P) and Sitemaps...I made a sitemap for the 001 website for homework (simplified, I didn't put in every single game page and such) and that's boring.... Well, atleast I'm learning them in Computing...

For the "lines" don't you get to pick individual subjects?
At my high school, you get to pick subjects (well, in the first year you only pick 4 to do which run for half the year, the year after you get to choose 2 subjects to do for the whole year, the year after you have to do maths, english and science and you choose 3 other subjects, my year you only have to do english, and the last year you don't have to do any subjects - you can do what ever ones you want (if you can get into them))

Ixayou
001 Translator

Postby Ixayou » Tue May 11, 2010 12:54 pm

no we dont get to pick individual subjects in norway. There is lines that focus on every different subject, but also have some other normal school stuff.

And it doesnt sound that bad doing IT, even from what you are saying. Whats really going to de-motivate me is the three years in high school. I really hate school so badly, im never motivated to work or pay attention. I dont really know why, but it just doesnt interest me. I get A and B's on 60% of the tests though. The rest is about 34% C's and 6% D's and E's (if A is best, im a bit unsure in norway we use a system from 1-6 where 6 is best)
The IT education itself doesnt sound bad, but the line i have to pick in high school is very hard. They do all the hardest subjects. Im afraid of failing. Not because im not smart enough, but because i might be so de-motivated that i will give up.

I asked a school councelor for help today, and she just gave me a small book that didnt help at all. It just explained about "how tough it can be to make the desicion, blah blah blah". It didnt give ANY information about the lines, AT ALL. It seems like the information is top-secret goverment stuff or something
ImageThe Rpg Teams Blog!

hellblade
001 Forum Master

Postby hellblade » Wed May 12, 2010 12:24 am

Ahh, I see.

Motivation can be a big problem, but think about this: Would you be more likily to be motivated/more likily to pass the Music, Dance and Drama line, or the IT line? Wait, this next line may be more useful:
Maybe, your fear of failing the IT line may motivate you to pay attention and work and not give up, and thus you would pass.

If I'm not helping you in the least, don't hesitate to tell me, I don't want to be making it harder for you :P

Ixayou
001 Translator

Postby Ixayou » Wed May 12, 2010 1:34 am

Maybe.. But if i first get motivated, i can get straight A's and B's. But if i dont, i can still get some A and B's but ill probably just dont give a crap about anything. But if i change my mind, i could always go a year over again? That would really suck though. T think i will try the IT line (its not actually IT line its like normal school just harder, but lets just call it that cus i dont know what its in english) then if i really hate it i can take the rest of the year off then try to start over on the other one. Most likely i wont but its just my backup plan :P
ImageThe Rpg Teams Blog!

hellblade
001 Forum Master

Postby hellblade » Wed May 12, 2010 5:12 am

Alright, good luck with it.
A backup plan is always good, although it's even better when you don't need to use it :P

Samulis
001 Fanatic

Postby Samulis » Wed May 12, 2010 12:21 pm

Before I moved into High School, I had my mind set on going into the 'creative' side of things... sadly, here in the US, we have to take the boring '5 standard classes' (an expansion of reading 'riting, and 'rithmatic), so my choices got pushed aside. Instead, I ended up taking as my 'extra' classes Band (which I have done since the 4th Grade) and Martial Arts, which was new to me. Overall, I think you should look into what sorts of classes sound 'coolest' to you right now. You'll have those other (3? 5?) years of high-school to undo any mistakes you made in your first year. If you take boring subjects, you won't do as well. It is a scientifically proven fact that one does a better job at something he/she likes... that's why I do things like compose music and take pictures- because I like those things. People have said I take very good pictures and write good songs, and that is because I do my best effort in these things.

Of course, you, being someone who looks ahead in the long run, might be better off learning the skills to be a successful worker in higher-up jobs. However, you cannot forget, there are jobs out there in the world of creativity that pay VERY well... and you virtually in the Graphic Design capital of the World- Western Europe. I cannot tell you how many online browser-games are made in Germany... it must be around 60%. I also know Sweden has a good industry for it. As for Music skills- it's all about if you can count the beat. If you like music and are willing to listen (literally), then take Band or Music Theory or something (not sure what your equivalents are).

Like practically everyone else above me has said- do what fits you best as a person right now... then worry about the future when time comes to worry.

Ixayou
001 Translator

Postby Ixayou » Wed May 12, 2010 12:34 pm

Well said, Samulis. It helps out a lot. I think i know what to do. Im going to take the math, science ect line in high school, because if i take that line i can chose what ever i want in college/university. Then i can decide then what i want to do with my life. I read about a band named Minor Majority, they are all educated as lawyers, pilots and i dont know what other higher up educations and they have some of the most beautiful songs i have heard. Maybe i dont have to cut out music if i chose education in IT? My guitar teacher said i had very good music knowledge to only be a beginner. Maybe there is hope for me anyway :) Seriously, it feels like graphic art and school stuff is something im good at, but music is something im born to do.

Thanks guys, i will come back here if i get insecure again. You have all helped me a lot :)
ImageThe Rpg Teams Blog!

Ammohead
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Ammohead » Sat May 22, 2010 5:27 pm

Aww, hon come anytime you need us. We are here for you. I'm sorry I came late. :(
"Life can get hard, but what I've learned is that, it gets better...Far better. Fall down, become wounded, and you'll be immune to the next situation. Hardtimes are like a pistol, you throw out one and another is right back in the chamber" -Timmy (Ammo)

Ixayou
001 Translator

Postby Ixayou » Sat May 22, 2010 5:42 pm

Lol no worries :P I always come here when i got a problem. There are so many good people here :D
ImageThe Rpg Teams Blog!

patatoface
001 Forum Master

Postby patatoface » Mon May 24, 2010 4:09 am

you could always try music with IT as a backup

Ixayou
001 Translator

Postby Ixayou » Mon May 24, 2010 6:03 am

I think i'd rather try IT with music as a backup. Because if i chose that line in high school, then i can chose whatever i want in the university/college
ImageThe Rpg Teams Blog!

patatoface
001 Forum Master

Postby patatoface » Mon May 24, 2010 5:41 pm

fair enough
so does this mean you know what to do?

Ixayou
001 Translator

Postby Ixayou » Mon May 24, 2010 5:51 pm

For now, but if i know myself right i will come up with something else soon and become insecure again :P
ImageThe Rpg Teams Blog!

JilutheFang
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby JilutheFang » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:46 pm

At least you have two options.
I don't know whether I'll beome a book autor, an artist, a programmer or maybe a psychologist...

For your problem I'd say choose the middle way. It sounds like you could get a job as music-operator for some videogame firm or maybe in movies or something in that direction.
90% of teenagers today would die if Myspace was completely destroyed. If you are one of the 10% who would be laughing their heads off, add this to your signature.

ImageTake the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.
Why should fire be the enemie of the sun? Hello? Sun = ultimate fire? :?

zachary0119
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby zachary0119 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:39 pm

Ixayou wrote:I think i'd rather try IT with music as a backup. Because if i chose that line in high school, then i can chose whatever i want in the university/college

Actually, I think you can take whatever you want in college no matter what you take in high school. You could also do both. you could chose music and do online courses for IT in your free time. My dad works for microsoft so I could send you links to online cources for programming.
Last edited by zachary0119 on Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently working on The Battle for Sumthia
http://www.engine001.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15468

will
001 Supporter

Postby will » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:36 am

what i do is make video games lol, i am trying to make my company bigger and better, but i have to tell i have just about 3 people in my company
and what im doing is using 001 to help me get used to this stuff and yeah, so if any of u r interested (im not trying to spam) but you could see my website! its http://iceflameproductions.yolasite.com/about-us.php

zachary0119
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby zachary0119 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:45 am

Hey my friend uses yola! It is a bad deal. You can get your own domain name for $10 a year in some places, but yola is $20!!

Ixayou
001 Translator

Postby Ixayou » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:40 pm

zachary0119 wrote:
Ixayou wrote:I think i'd rather try IT with music as a backup. Because if i chose that line in high school, then i can chose whatever i want in the university/college

Actually, I think you can take whatever you want in college no matter what you take in high school. You could also do both. you could chose music and do online courses for IT in your free time. My dad works for microsoft so I could send you links to online cources for programming.

As long as its free, that'd be awesome! And where i live you need to have taken certain lines in high school to chose in college. The line i need to take to get IT in college is the hardest one and is more like an universal line wich means i can take almost anything i want in college and almost everyone can get in that line. But its the hardest one though.
ImageThe Rpg Teams Blog!

zachary0119
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby zachary0119 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:58 pm

Ixayou wrote:
zachary0119 wrote:

As long as its free, that'd be awesome! And where i live you need to have taken certain lines in high school to chose in college. The line i need to take to get IT in college is the hardest one and is more like an universal line wich means i can take almost anything i want in college and almost everyone can get in that line. But its the hardest one though.

kk what link do u want??

Ixayou
001 Translator

Postby Ixayou » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:10 pm

Umm idk.. Something for beginners?
ImageThe Rpg Teams Blog!

zachary0119
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby zachary0119 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:11 pm

yea but are you like lookind for programming, if so what language?

Ixayou
001 Translator

Postby Ixayou » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:12 pm

Well so far i have only learned some C++, i would like to learn more of it :)
ImageThe Rpg Teams Blog!

zachary0119
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby zachary0119 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:14 pm

oh kk just a second let me find the best one... do you have ms word???

Ixayou
001 Translator

Postby Ixayou » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:16 pm

No :/
ImageThe Rpg Teams Blog!

zachary0119
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby zachary0119 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:17 pm

kk thats ok
try this http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/beginner/cc305129.aspx im not sure if it is good, but it is the best I have found so far.

Ixayou
001 Translator

Postby Ixayou » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:14 pm

I will check it out, thanks :)
ImageThe Rpg Teams Blog!

Ammohead
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Ammohead » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:06 pm

How are things? Are they better for you, worse, the same?
"Life can get hard, but what I've learned is that, it gets better...Far better. Fall down, become wounded, and you'll be immune to the next situation. Hardtimes are like a pistol, you throw out one and another is right back in the chamber" -Timmy (Ammo)

zachary0119
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby zachary0119 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:09 pm

Ixayou wrote:I will check it out, thanks :)

Tell me if there are any problems

Ixayou
001 Translator

Postby Ixayou » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:30 am

Ammohead wrote:How are things? Are they better for you, worse, the same?

Well i am still very unsure what to chose, but i think i will take the hardest line (wich i can chose whatever i want later) Then i got 3 extra years to find out. So im not rushing it anymore :P
ImageThe Rpg Teams Blog!

Return to General Discussion