Really bad lag when playing music.

Have any questions or problems in making your game, subscribing and/or using our software? Post here.
Forum rules
Make sure you are using the newest version. This can be downloaded at the top of the site via the "downloads" link.

Use a very good subject. "Problem" or "Help" are unacceptable titles.

Use the search feature before posting a question, as the answer is probably already here.

Subscript out of range error 9: This is a generic error, and we'll need way more information than that to figure out the problem. If you get this, strongly consider following the instructions of submitting your project through the Submit Bug feature within the editor.
Danny
001 Forum Master

Really bad lag when playing music.

Postby Danny » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:51 am

So since music (As far as i am aware) doesnt use your graphics i thought i would make this topic.

I get lag in my game (Which as already been discussed) but when i use music on maps the lag gets really bad. The lag without music can be dealt with its just slight little delays but with music it jumps badly, so bad you can notice it.

This is using music in the maps properties for when the player enters. Why would music cause lag like this? Next thing am going to be told is i don't have enough CPU or RAM power. :?

RamchuK_Ntertainment
Ultimate 001 Member

Re: Really bad lag when playing music.

Postby RamchuK_Ntertainment » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Actually, Mike has mentioned the music issue before, which I don't recall entirely, but it has something to do with audio formats being used. GG Maker is sensitive when it comes to music and memory usage, which you can test by disabling all SFX, you will see the performance increase. I suggest trying WAV, MP3, and OGG audio formats for music, if you can, and see which causes the most severe performance decrease. I recommend the OGG format for music.
Travesty: 3D Survival - WIP >>> Forum Topic
University of Washington (BABA)
-REGT- Ramchuk Entertainment Games Team
Strategy/Action/Adventure
Copyrighted©2008-2017

Danny
001 Forum Master

Postby Danny » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:09 pm

RamchuK_Ntertainment wrote:Actually, Mike has mentioned the music issue before, which I don't recall entirely, but it has something to do with audio formats being used. GG Maker is sensitive when it comes to music and memory usage, which you can test by disabling all SFX, you will see the performance increase. I suggest trying WAV, MP3, and OGG audio formats for music, if you can, and see which causes the most severe performance decrease. I recommend the OGG format for music.

I would convert to OGG but Mike as stopped people exporting 001's music so i can't export, i did ask him if he could lift the export bad but he ignored me. I will leave music out my game, thanks.

Lee
001 Support

Postby Lee » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:06 am

The assets are only to be used within GG Maker, which is why you're unable to export the music files. This is by design and it's not something that Mike will likely change.
Lee - 001 Community Manager

Danny
001 Forum Master

Postby Danny » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:19 am

Lee wrote:The assets are only to be used within GG Maker, which is why you're unable to export the music files. This is by design and it's not something that Mike will likely change.

Well would he or a beta tester concider converting the music files to OGG and exporting them as 001 files and uploading them to the resources section? No need to actually replace the default music files in 001 simply make copies and have the available for download if needs be.

Would be awesome if that could be done, give me the files and i will do the converting and exporting for you! (jk) But would help if this was to happen saves messing around finding music online not to mention fixes the issue if people wanted to make a android game.

RamchuK_Ntertainment
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby RamchuK_Ntertainment » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:55 pm

Danny wrote:Well would he or a beta tester concider converting the music files to OGG and exporting them as 001 files and uploading them to the resources section?

The reason why Mike disabled the export of GG Maker music is due to copyright issues. Making the files available for download would defeat the purpose. :-P

Thinking about the issue more, do you have Fast Testing enabled in the Testing Options? Regardless, does the performance issue persist even on built projects when running outside of the editor?
Travesty: 3D Survival - WIP >>> Forum Topic
University of Washington (BABA)
-REGT- Ramchuk Entertainment Games Team
Strategy/Action/Adventure
Copyrighted©2008-2017

Danny
001 Forum Master

Postby Danny » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:06 pm

RamchuK_Ntertainment wrote:
Danny wrote:Well would he or a beta tester concider converting the music files to OGG and exporting them as 001 files and uploading them to the resources section?

The reason why Mike disabled the export of GG Maker music is due to copyright issues. Making the files available for download would defeat the purpose. :-P

Thinking about the issue more, do you have Fast Testing enabled in the Testing Options? Regardless, does the performance issue persist even on built projects when running outside of the editor?

But how would that be a issue with copyright if the file were in 001 format? The files wouldnt be able to be used anywhere other than 001. No i don't have fast testing enabled and yet the issue still persists in a built version.

Also the music tends to crackle as well both via testing and while working in the editor (Playing via the music player in 001) This might have fixed i know Mike as made some fixes to the music.

Lee
001 Support

Postby Lee » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:36 am

While you can export files as 001/GG Maker resources, you can also export them in their native format (which is why the ability to export is disabled).

As for your crackling audio, I'm not able to re-produce this problem :?
Lee - 001 Community Manager

Danny
001 Forum Master

Postby Danny » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:02 am

Sorry for bumping a old topic but seems this issue as fixed itself (Or you guys fixed) since the latest subby release. Thank you :D

Return to Technical Support Questions