Steam version of Engine001

Have any questions or problems in making your game, subscribing and/or using our software? Post here.
Forum rules
Make sure you are using the newest version. This can be downloaded at the top of the site via the "downloads" link.

Use a very good subject. "Problem" or "Help" are unacceptable titles.

Use the search feature before posting a question, as the answer is probably already here.

Subscript out of range error 9: This is a generic error, and we'll need way more information than that to figure out the problem. If you get this, strongly consider following the instructions of submitting your project through the Submit Bug feature within the editor.
EFFEKTrecords

Steam version of Engine001

Postby EFFEKTrecords » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:38 pm

What's the difference between Engine001 on steam and whats on here?? Thanks...

NinthCrusader
001 Admirer

Re: Steam version of Engine001

Postby NinthCrusader » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:48 pm

Hi EFFEKTrecords,

If I had to guess, I would say it's the same stuff, but putting it out on Steam reaches a larger demographic of buyers. Charging people a one-time fee on Steam allows for interested people outside of this community to see this game creator if they so choose. It's a lot cheaper, obviously, to pay for a $10 subcription fee for one month to get your hands on this software, but the people that download it, use it and want to continue to be a influencing factor in this community can subscribe for futher months to share their ideas and etc. I supposes the simplest way to put it would be:

The $10 subscription fee allows you to get it, but if you want to be a bigger piece of this awesome community and influence changes and get special access, then continuing your subscription might be something to consider.

The bigger price tag for the Steam version is for people browsing Steam who maybe don't know about this place yet.

I could be wrong, and hopefully I'm corrected if so, but I don't think there would be anything different on the Steam version. If there is something different, it would probably say so on the download page. Hopefully discussing this, helps you gain some clarity, but I'm sure someone with some concrete knowledge will be along shortly.

EDIT: Actually I think the steam version allows for some different type of editing and has something to do with multiplayer features and steambuild.

V/r,

MARK.

dragonnutds
001 Subscriber

Postby dragonnutds » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:26 am

right now the only deference is price point and subscription or not, and subscribers get to beta test before new features get ironed out and pushed to steam

Gamerdude
001 Support

Postby Gamerdude » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:43 am

The two versions are identical. :)

As mentioned, subscription versions will be released before Steam versions. The steam version is a one-time purchase for all future upgrades. Subscription grants you access to all versions released until your subscription runs out.

Subscribers will also get beta (or earlier, not sure) access to Mike's next project, and access to the subscriber-only forums on this website. For every month you subscribe, you also get a feature request, which may or may not be added into the engine, depending on a few factors.

ddabrahim

Postby ddabrahim » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:07 am

Hi.

I also have some question regarding subscription.

The subscription page saying I get "access to a special forum for priority support".
Is that means if I'm a subscriber then educated help is guaranteed with any technical problems and difficulties I have?

For example I have just posted some questions on the forum and with some of them I didn't get any help so far, I'm not complaining just want to know how things
works around here. So if I would be a subscriber and ask the questions in the "special forum", I would definitely get help from the devs for my subscription?

Also, how feature request works?
The main thing I don't really like about Indie engines (engines developed only in spare time by small teams) is that, mostly they are developed for own purposes and whatever the community is asking for or suggesting is not even considered most of the times because it is not priority for the devs or it is too big for a small team.
Obviously the request need to be within reasonable limits, but in case it is reasonable, is it guaranteed to be added or at least considered for my subscription?
For example, in one of the questions I'm asking about how to set minimum range for projectiles. In case it is not possible,
if I would request this feature, would it be added or considered for my subscription?
Actually, is there any figures for how many features requested by subscribers and how many of them get implemented finally?
Any personal experience on this from subscribers maybe?

Thanks.
Create 2D sprites from 3D models: http://3d2sprite.blogspot.com

Mr.Numbers
001 Support

Postby Mr.Numbers » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:23 pm

I believe the "Priority Support" part of the subscription isn't really in effect anymore, as when we switched over to steam the premium support forum got merged with technical support forum. I will message Mike on this issue.
As for the issues that wern't getting answered, they may have either gone by un-noticed by the community or we were unable to assist in the issue. Do know that all technical support is entirely volunteer work. We do not get paid to help others with their issues, however, we try our best to help you guys out :)

As for the feature requests, they are most certainly not guaranteed. As you sorta answered this one yourself, with a one man development team Mike is fairly limited in time. Stuff that typically gets implemented right away are smaller things that don't take long to add - Larger stuff has definitely been considered and added in the past, however, it falls into his "Priority" list of things to accomplish, and may not be added for quite a while.
Mike will let whoever is making the feature request know if it will be something that is going to be considered or not when he has the chance to look at the request.

EDIT:
Mike says the "Priority Support" listing has been removed. If you find it posted anywhere else be sure to let us know so it can be removed!
I AM THE ALL MIGHTY SCRIPTING MASTER
Please do not PM me with Engine 001 related questions, rather post on the forums. ;)

ddabrahim

Postby ddabrahim » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:57 am

Thanks.

Actually, I was hoping to get a reply from the devs on this, but since it is not the case subscription is clearly got nothing to do with "technical support" that I was hoping to get.
So the only good reason to subscribe really is to get beta access that I really hope only "beta" access and new versions are not retained by purpose for months or even years to "motivate" people to subscribe.

By reading the forum it seems to me the Multiplayer and Networking is available since 2008 for subscribers as "beta" but it is released to the public on Steam only recently on 18th Aug 2016.
Is there any more new features currently in "beta" that I have access to only if I'm a subscriber?
Create 2D sprites from 3D models: http://3d2sprite.blogspot.com

JimmySterylian
001 Fanatic

Postby JimmySterylian » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:16 am

Actually, that wasn't really multiplayer, nor some kind of advanced networking system. You were just given the ability to handle MySQL databases. Just recently real-time online mutliplayer has become possible with the addition of networking messages.

Lee
001 Support

Postby Lee » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:38 am

Subscribers had access to online multiplayer/networking a little over a month before it was pushed to Steam. Typically there's only a week or two difference - naturally this update was quite large and so spent longer in testing before being pushed to Steam.

In terms of features, both are identical. There are no Subscription-exclusive features.

In addition to beta versions, Subscribers have a few extra perks on the web site (like the gold name/banner) but that's about it. As Mr.Numbers has mentioned, priority support is no longer a part of Subscriptions (as all users are now treated equally) and feature requests are not always guaranteed.

Subscriptions offer an alternative payment solution for those who can't afford to pay the one-time Steam price and is also beneficial to the project (as Valve naturally takes a cut of the Steam version)
Lee - 001 Community Manager

Return to Technical Support Questions