Faded Dawn (Beta released!)

Tell us about the 001 game you're working on. Show us screenshots. Discuss, promote and share games with others.
Forum rules
If you would like to post about your game, make sure to include screenshots and a long, well-written, thorough description.

Please be positive and understand that not everyone is skilled at using Map001. Games that are similar to other games, or fan games using commercial games' art are perfectly acceptable.

This forum section is dedicated to the discussion of games made with Map001 only.

You must upload your games to above games section of site. Outside links for games are forbidden in this section.
Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Faded Dawn (Beta released!)

Postby Tabula Rasa » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:16 pm

Alright, I think I've done enough in this game to start announcing it. Faded Dawn marks the story of an ambassador (yourself) on a ship bound for the island province of Achatano. on the way, the ship is attacked by a strange race who seem to be looking for you, and you barely escape with your life and the message to Chancellor Orado. From there, the story is as you make it; deliver the message, or pretend it doesn't even exist.

I plan to make Faded Dawn an open-ended rpg somewhat like the Elder Scrolls series, but add my own preferences to it. thus, I'll probably be designing all the side quests first, make most of the in-game content off the beaten path of the main quest, and do the main quest last.

Although, I have not planned the main story line, but, as I said, I'll be doing it last. Even though the first part of the main quest (The ship attack), there'll be no way to deliver that message to the Chancelor until the final game's released.

Planned Features-
* Player-Named Character
* Custom Weapons, Armor, and Environment Resources (I got some complaints of my last game about how generic some of the models were. No more. Already got rid of 90% of the generic starting items.)
* Re-done combat system (Uses more stats and variables)
* Customized Interface (I spent the entire first day doing the interface; also features unique logo and menu screen)
* Quest Journal (With so many quests, wouldn't it be cool just to put it all in a single journal?)
* Open World- (I'm going to see how big I can make the maps.... make as few transitions as possible.)
* Horse Travel- (with such a big world, you'll need an easier method of travel.)
* Factions and Guilds- (not a guarantee, but I'll see what I can do...... unfortunately, it seems that the player can only be in one team at a time.)
* Crime And Punishment- (steal something, get arrested. Do enough crime, and you may even get a bounty.)
* Good and Evil- (Be the noble hero, or the sinister killer, and people will treat you differently for each.)
* Health Regeneration- (this forces me to get rid of the damage numbers, while you may not mind at first, it'll be annoying in later levels o see "13....13....13..." pop up every 2 seconds.
* Console- (I wonder if it's possible to do something that allows the player to run script commands in-game?)

Don't know what else, and remember, all this is just planned... I'm always ambitious as to what I want.

I'll post some screenshots tomorrow, most likely.
Last edited by Tabula Rasa on Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen Chapman
001 Forum Master

Re: Faded Dawn

Postby Stephen Chapman » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:55 pm

Sounds like a good story. Can't wait for some screenshots.
Console- (I wonder if it's possible to do something that allows the player to run script commands in-game?)

That's not possible sorry. What is the purpose of it?

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Postby Tabula Rasa » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:15 pm

Mostly Cheating, but i might've been able to put some custom events that allow players to debug easily.

jake.lutze
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby jake.lutze » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:24 pm

this sounds pretty cool. Sounds like a lot of thought and planning was put into it.

Hows about some screenshots?

EDIT: Ignore that... I just read the final sentence, dont know how I missed it. :oops:

well anyway...

Will there be different races like orks and such?
Do you want me to amke a resource?
PM me and Ill see what I can do.
Invasion of the 8-bit Aliens
resources: 25% done
making: bosses, enemies, and tiles
I R smrt. I promise.

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Postby Tabula Rasa » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:33 pm

Other characters will be different races, but i don't think you can be a different race, simply because of where you're from and your position in society (An ambassador for a place should not be of a different race than the people in that place; it's just the times).

Stephen Chapman
001 Forum Master

Postby Stephen Chapman » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:53 pm

You don't need to run script commands in order to enter in cheats. You script your own cheats, using either input scripts or an input box.

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Zhuge » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:01 am

Console is possible, very hard to script if it's not just cheats.
Sounds too Oblivion ish.

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Postby Tabula Rasa » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:05 am

True, but it was just a thought.

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:01 am

Quite a few of them are possible, e.g. horseback riding. Consult meto.
"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

Apocalypse I Act I: //////////////////// - 25% Done, Demo v0.3
AVAILABLE: http://www.engine001.com/games/Apocalypse+I+-+Act+I_601.htm
Please play through the full game, or PM me for hints and easter eggs.

The M4 Team Salutes You.

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Postby Tabula Rasa » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:17 am

Screens:

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:00 am

Um... eww. BG needs some customs, so do the characters.
The HUD looks pretty basic, you could add in a few holders.
"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

The M4 Team Salutes You.

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Postby Tabula Rasa » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:28 am

What's the point of getting or making custom walls and tilesets when the ones I need are already there? It's a big, wood ship. Hence wood walls, tiles, etc.

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:14 am

Eh, still, make it look like a ship's interior. Nobody would be in the right set of mind to place a bookcase in a cabin, lest it topples during a storm.

The M4 Team Salutes You.

coffeennicotine
001 Fanatic

Postby coffeennicotine » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:29 am

Not to nitpick, but the text shadows are a little painful. I wouldn't worry about customs too much. Just make sure the tiles you do use are context sensitive.

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Postby Tabula Rasa » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:40 am

MIV wrote:Eh, still, make it look like a ship's interior. Nobody would be in the right set of mind to place a bookcase in a cabin, lest it topples during a storm.

Oop. Good point.

coffeennicotine wrote:Not to nitpick, but the text shadows are a little painful. I wouldn't worry about customs too much. Just make sure the tiles you do use are context sensitive.

Alright, thanks.

C0c1
001 Forum Master

Postby C0c1 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:38 pm

Becuase your going to be below deck it should be a little dark. You can put some oil lanterns up to make it look better. Also I think the ship looks to big.
I'm Back! :D

Add me on xbox dalek124

Games:
Life As A Kid IIIIIIIIII 5%

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Re: Faded Dawn (Beta released!)

Postby Tabula Rasa » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:37 pm

Well, alternate universe, you know? ;) I'll probably put some books in game or something to help explain backstory.

But yeah, remember, none of it's quite done. I've got quite a bit of work to do before i an release a demo.

First Demo is going to feature the opening battle sequence, (which I may expand) the beach area and an open area known as "Bloodwood". Oh, and the first city area, along with a few side quests from the city. You will not be able to do any part of the initial main quest (which involves delivering a message to the Chancellor of the province, but I'll not go into details for spoiler purposes.).

Bump: released first Beta. It's all I had time to do, so its a little.... bare. It's really only meant for testing, but I'm leaving again, and I'll have to postpone production ... (big surprise, huh?). but I still would like feedback on it, (even MIV's :P, Naw, jk, your opinion is always welcome).

There are more defaults than customs, but I don't have the time, patience, or software to go and build 6000 custom sprites, so, sorry to disappoint.

Some parts of the game are easy, others are actually hard. The hard parts are the reason why I put the Health and Magic Potion hotkeys in (number keys 1 and 2). Another suggestion: Do some exploring for loot before you start doing the side quest.

Please and thank you. :)
Last edited by Tabula Rasa on Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Automatically merged double post.

Stephen Chapman
001 Forum Master

Postby Stephen Chapman » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:29 pm

I am going to be very honest with you. I don't like the controls. You seem to have them all crowded up in the left hand side of the keyboard. Why can't you use the directional keys for character movement? I couldn't really play because I found it so hard to control the character.

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Zhuge » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:38 pm

Played it. Too hard too short. The controls are kinda messed up too. (Well not really liking them.)

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Postby Tabula Rasa » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:42 pm

Yeah, I realized this. There's also a bug where changing them doesn't work......... I'll fix it soon enough.

What are the difficult parts?

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Zhuge » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:20 pm

Well the guys hit you and they do a ton of damage even with the shield and other armor. I had to restart like 30 times, but on my last attempt I was able to avoid most of them. You only get 2 healing potions and the flare spell that doesn't do much damage. The robes are messed up with the walking frames for some reason and once you get on land you have no idea where to go. Oh yeah, the water doesn't move. If you use the first one for the water thing it's animated. I also found myself running back and forth between rooms so I could regenerate health without getting hit. I don't really like the main menu either, it's pretty bland same with the loading screens. The message boxes have a weird text and the yellow background doesn't compliment it well. But anyhow it's meh.

5/10

Hopefully you do a bit of fixin' for the next version.
Also the bright maps are pretty sketch. Not my thing ya know?
It's alright for the first beta. Better than some games... Well, a lot of games when it comes to the first beta.

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:24 am

Essentially, nerf those buggers so that they're manageable at the first level. Try testing it with your own character, and the given equipments.
And the HUD could use some work.

The M4 Team Salutes You.

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Postby Tabula Rasa » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:28 pm

Alright. Got it. As soon as I have a chance, I'll fix those issues and add more content.

Return to Games In Progress