Wastelands (Turn Based Battle Alpha)

Tell us about the 001 game you're working on. Show us screenshots. Discuss, promote and share games with others.
Forum rules
If you would like to post about your game, make sure to include screenshots and a long, well-written, thorough description.

Please be positive and understand that not everyone is skilled at using Map001. Games that are similar to other games, or fan games using commercial games' art are perfectly acceptable.

This forum section is dedicated to the discussion of games made with Map001 only.

You must upload your games to above games section of site. Outside links for games are forbidden in this section.
User avatar
priest865
001 Subscriber
 
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:00 am
Location: Hiding Underground

Wastelands (Turn Based Battle Alpha)

Postby priest865 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:30 am

To try the battlesystem speak with the only Actor on the starting map!

Story:
In the year 2015 individuals volunteered for a freezing experiment. Thousands very ready to take part and also took part as it was supposed to be safe. However after the first deaths the government decided not to reanimate the remaining volunteers until they could avoid further deaths.
223 years later mercenaries on the planet Diana found one of those freezing pods in the ruins of a destroyed lab. The planet Diana is in civil war. Several parties fight for the control over the planet. The earth alliance doesn't care about the situation on the planet as long as they get the valuable resources.

Gameplay:
The player will have to satify the needs of his character(sleep, hunger thirst). They will affect the actions of the character a lot. However for improved immersion there also won't be any health bars for immersion reasons. The only bar visible to the player will be the shield bar. It is the goal of the game to free the game of every information which can`t be seen in real life. Still there will be for example a quest log. However the game won't "hold the hand" of the player. There are no stats, no level ups or skillpoints. Improvements of the character can be seen after

Features:
Diary System (for personal notes)
Needs (hunger, thirst, sleep)
Day/Night cycle
Random Missions
Abilities increase by use


Turn Based Battlesystem

Goals of wastelands at the moment:
Dialogue system
Mouse support
Quest system
Turn based battle system

At the moment a very basic turn based System. Every 0.5 Seconds the character adds Actionpoints to his Actionpointcounter. How many Actionpoints are added depends on the Agility of each character. Which means while on Actor had 2 turns another had no turn. At the moment it is a NPC battle controlled by the player. The AI Enemies are equipped with swords while the Party controlled by the Player are all equipped with pistols except for one character. This character has to move in vicinity of an enemy in order to attack otherwise you won’t be able to attack. There are no Party Members on the Battlefield… tried to place them but wasn’t really successful.


Working Features:
Choose a battle map
some kind of levelled enemy list although the difference between difficulties are at the moment only the possibilities of spawning boss and stronger enemies - the enemies look only stronger you can still kill them with one shot.
boss enemies with own name - name generator
Teleports Party to a Battlemap
Teleports Party back to the original Location after Battle
Attack
Move to Enemy
wait - lets the pc wait until his next turn - could prove useful for some tactics
Melee AI – Moves to the nearest enemy if not in range and then attacks
can choose the number of enemies
Every character has a different speed based on Agility. - A enemy could have only three turns while a other enemy already had 6 turns.
script which places spawned enemies and pcs (max 8 if there are more actors it looks weir so the battle system would work for an infinite number of enemies)

Possible Future Developments and improvements:
change weapon during fight
use item like a medikit
Ammo for ranged weapons
Attack Body parts
receiving xps and other rewards for winning

Possibilities with 1.9 and its new Actor and Table scripts (maybe I going to finally subscribe ^^):
Ranged AI – chooses randomly at the beginning of the fight a target instead of always attacking the nearest enemy like the melee AI
Support AI – Attacks Enemies who did the most damage in the last round to Allies.
AI attacks strongest enemy
AI attacks weakest enemy
AIs behaviour depends on species - for example its obvious wasps will always attack the nearest enemy or will give suppert and as they are anmials they would not see the difference in a desert eagle which makes someone maybe "stronger" than someone with a glock. however i will try to get the humans as realistic as possible: weaker oponents will automtically choose weaker targets while stronger enmies won't care who they attack.
Battles with the objective to defend important Actors like a VIP or a Caravan
with Mouse support the game play could be quite similar to the combat of Heroes of Might and Magic fights or like the Age of Wonders Battle-System.


Known Bugs
Collision
AI has maybe problems with melee Distance because of collision
did not render all the animations for the sprites and also added only holding points for melee weapon attack
at some point I had some weird movements of the Enemies still try to figure this out…must be an error somewhere in my script.
otherwise there are some graphical bugs which i caused because i messed up some scripts.
Attachments
loadingscreen.png
battleruins.png
battle interior.png
Engine001 2011-01-17 10-13-22-29.png
Last edited by priest865 on Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:11 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Image

User avatar
SBG
001 Subscriber
 
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:37 pm
Location: merca

Re: Wastelands (Turn Based Battle Alpha)

Postby SBG » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:08 pm

Nice!

User avatar
Deedasmi
001 Forum Master
 
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 10:47 pm
Location: At my computer (like always)

Re: Wastelands (Turn Based Battle Alpha)

Postby Deedasmi » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:53 pm

Priest amazes all again!

User avatar
Indiana 266
001 Forum Master
 
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:33 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Wastelands (Turn Based Battle Alpha)

Postby Indiana 266 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:50 am

Relic! I mean, uhh Wastelands! ;)
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
priest865
001 Subscriber
 
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:00 am
Location: Hiding Underground

Re: Wastelands (Turn Based Battle 0.02)

Postby priest865 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:10 am

Made the whole game from Scratch. There are for sure still bugs in the Battlesystem so if you find any post them here or just PM me.

Indiana 266 wrote:Relic! I mean, uhh Wastelands! ;)

:D still working on Relic however needed a long pause of everything. Just began again with 001 last week. In fact I even don't have the time for anything else then learning as I have 3 exams next week but I couldn't resist making a turn based system. ^^

Wastelands is just the first name which came to mind as I was thinking of the Turn based system. Interesting sidenote Wasteland was a post apocalyptic RPG released 1988. Played it a bit - it was awesome. Fallout 1 was based on this game.

The turn based battle system goes in the next round:

fixes:
AI attacking issues fixed
less movement errors
character now faces the direction he moves

improvements:
“Wait” option
enemy and player party are now spawned by script.
moving now a longer distance every turn
Player can’t move the Actor if the selected enemy is already in melee distance
animation for Pistol
animation for Baseballbat
now uses the spawn character script
current maximum NPCs are 9 however it seems that the interface brakes when there are that many enemies. It would also be possible to have more than 9 enemies and pcs however this would look weird as all the characters are placed in a row.
camera movements – still need some work.
character with unequipped weapons now attack with an unarmed attack (not tested...but should work ^^)
Image

User avatar
SBG
001 Subscriber
 
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:37 pm
Location: merca

Re: Wastelands (Turn Based Battle Alpha)

Postby SBG » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:26 pm

If you guys haven't noticed there is a demo out so try it! The system is better than I thought possible on 001.

I did notice a glitch when I tried 5 enemies, the battle never started. I guess because the wasps weren't facing the player.

User avatar
Indiana 266
001 Forum Master
 
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:33 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Wastelands (Turn Based Battle Alpha)

Postby Indiana 266 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:02 am

It's out already? Freakin' fast work man, I'll post a review afta' I d'load it.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
priest865
001 Subscriber
 
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:00 am
Location: Hiding Underground

Re: Wastelands (Turn Based Battle Alpha)

Postby priest865 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:31 am

Indiana 266 wrote:It's out already? Freakin' fast work man, I'll post a review afta' I d'load it.

Don't get your hopes up it is sitll work in progress. However if you have some ideas for improvement just post them.
Image

User avatar
patatoface
001 Forum Master
 
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:40 am

Re: Wastelands (Turn Based Battle Alpha)

Postby patatoface » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:35 am

this is out already? i'll defiatly check it out :D

User avatar
priest865
001 Subscriber
 
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:00 am
Location: Hiding Underground

Re: Wastelands (Turn Based Battle Alpha)

Postby priest865 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:34 pm

SBG wrote:I did notice a glitch when I tried 5 enemies, the battle never started. I guess because the wasps weren't facing the player.

I think I found the problem. Was the bug after you already fought a battle?

Uploaded a new version with the fix however the whole system is still buggy.

Changes:
new battle maps
worked a bit on the HUD

Known bugs and limitations:
At the moment it is not possible to access the main menu or change equipment
after the first fight there are somtimes weird bhaviours espescially when trying a new map
Image

User avatar
SBG
001 Subscriber
 
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:37 pm
Location: merca

Re: Wastelands (Turn Based Battle Alpha)

Postby SBG » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:40 pm

Yeah it was like the 3rd battle.

User avatar
priest865
001 Subscriber
 
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:00 am
Location: Hiding Underground

Re: Wastelands (Turn Based Battle Alpha)

Postby priest865 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:34 pm

I updated the first page I still think I am missing some features I already implemented. Finding the problems was quite difficult... tough son of a script. Finally the system is now quite playable. If someone finds any bugs please contact me.

fixes:
there should be no problems after the first fight
no infinite loop after losing

improvements:
Random name generator for boss enemies
add boss enemies and give them a unique name
added various types of enemies
every enemy has a random hair color (if the enemy has hair)
added difficulty (changes the possibility of spawning stronger and boss enemies)

known bugs:
wasps also get names - later they will get a name like "wasp qeen" or so but currently I am happy with the random name
Image

EgyLynx
001 Enthusiast
 
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:48 am

Re: Wastelands (Turn Based Battle Alpha)

Postby EgyLynx » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:26 pm

Well at maked TBB... can i ask steps you use it?

Interface? or events (messages)
goodbay

User avatar
priest865
001 Subscriber
 
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:00 am
Location: Hiding Underground

Re: Wastelands (Turn Based Battle Alpha)

Postby priest865 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:06 am

You mean how to start a fight or how to make it yourself?
Image

EgyLynx
001 Enthusiast
 
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:48 am

Re: Wastelands (Turn Based Battle Alpha)

Postby EgyLynx » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:09 am

Are you use Events or Interface

How you do that battle think? As that Tutorial?
goodbay

User avatar
priest865
001 Subscriber
 
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:00 am
Location: Hiding Underground

Re: Wastelands (Turn Based Battle Alpha)

Postby priest865 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:38 am

EgyLynx wrote:Are you use Events or Interface

How you do that battle think? As that Tutorial?


Short answer: I use Events, timer and custom scripts I did not really read the tutorial about the battle system.

Long answer: I don't know how the battlesystem in the tutorial works. I wanted to crate a turn based battlesystem and then searched for the tutorial. Well as soon as i saw the code I said to myself "I am too lazy read through it I make my own". If you aren't subscriber it just isn't possible or at least quite difficult to use this system... you have to wait for the next version of 001. Also if you aren't that familiar with scripting in 001 could also be very very difficult for you as I don't go too much in detail.

The system itself has a lot of components. If you want a percentual number of the completion of the system: its maybe around 5 %. However i wont give too much detail at the moment as it is still in heavy developement so things which currently are implemented could be tomorrow completly different.

I didn't go into detail as it would take simply too much time. I doubt i will ever write a tutorial about it as escpescially its too time consuming and the script isn't even finished.

Components of the System:

Here some of the custom scripts in use:
custom events.jpg

Custom Script Battle Start
-places and spawns enemy depends on faction, level and difficulty
-saves current position on the map and set camera to battlefield
-places and spawns party
-creates collection of enemies and pcs
-gives the spawned enemys dependent on faction, level and difficulty weapons (not implemented)
-prepares tables and collections
-in 2 enemies and player names are stored in temporary collection.
Custom Script Enemy turn

Custom script enemy turn
- gets from table current target (not implemented)
- checks if current target is still alive
- if not it gets the AI script from the table (attack strongest/weakest, support) and (not implemented)
- move to enemy with changemovement and changemovement y and a dely (same works with pc move)
- attacks if in reach

Interface
The interfaces are meant for the player for
Battle Timer
- adds AP to the temporary AP statistic of enemies
-sets AI script dependend on type of enemy and faction in the table (not implemented)
- compares health for win or lose condition
- calls custom script enemy turnif an enemy
- The timer first accesses the collections to look who is still alive as soon one has less hp it removes the name form the collection.

Battle Interface PC
- select an option

Battle attack
- gives a list of enemies to attack if the enemy is in range the actual pc attacks otherwise the hud goes back to the battle interface pc

Battle move
- similar only if the enemy is already in melee range you can't move anymore and the hud goes back to the battle interface

Maps:
Battlemaps
every battlemap has for the camera a center point (actor) in the middle lateron i could make an cameramove to the middle of the area after a fight to show stats in an own interface for example.
they also have two actors which are not existent and only act as a kind of navmesh for the add enemy and add pc script so they know where to spawn enemies.

Enemymap:
contains every variation of enemies. thugs with and without hair... don't want to go too much into detail. It is meant for a team as the sprite designer doesn't even have to necesarely give the enemy a name for storing a new design of an already existent type of enemy.

Tables - I rather prefer the term databse (not the sql one)
Faction table
Enemy table
Item table(not implemented)
difficulty table
however still have to write proper scripts for adding enemies to tables to avoid problems when starting a fight
Image

EgyLynx
001 Enthusiast
 
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:48 am

Re: Wastelands (Turn Based Battle Alpha)

Postby EgyLynx » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:38 am

I se it somewhat "easier" do you line at that Tutorial... or somewhat faster do...
goodbay

User avatar
SBG
001 Subscriber
 
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:37 pm
Location: merca

Re: Wastelands (Turn Based Battle Alpha)

Postby SBG » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:14 pm

EgyLynx wrote:I se it somewhat "easier" do you line at that Tutorial... or somewhat faster do...

Easier maybe but probably not as versatile and effective.

User avatar
Fireleaf
Ultimate 001 Member
 
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:14 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: Wastelands (Turn Based Battle Alpha)

Postby Fireleaf » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:58 pm

So much math! Er ... I guess just scripting.
Hey, I compose custom music for games (for free). PM me about it.

Tales of Northeta:
http://www.engine001.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22467&p=349875#p349875

Sunbreak City:
http://www.engine001.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21483

Shmallow World (tentative progress)
Shmalloween (2010)
Attack-or-Treat
Gongo Warrior

User avatar
priest865
001 Subscriber
 
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:00 am
Location: Hiding Underground

Re: Wastelands (Turn Based Battle Alpha)

Postby priest865 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:14 am

SBG wrote:Easier maybe but probably not as versatile and effective.

It uses the new features of 1.9 which allow a lot more flexibility in the scripts. However I twould recommend to use the Battlesystem tutorial to get a bit of a understanding how a turn based system works. And if you already know that it is not really difficult to come up with a Turn based battlesystem yourself.

Fireleaf wrote:So much math! Er ... I guess just scripting

There is not really a lot of math - only lots of scripts the main problem is having the time for writing the scripts.
Image

hasin5
001 Supporter
 
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:49 pm

Re: Wastelands (Turn Based Battle Alpha)

Postby hasin5 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:27 pm

BUMP :)

User avatar
ITB
001 Subscriber
 
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:04 pm
Location: South Carolina, USA

Re: Wastelands (Turn Based Battle Alpha)

Postby ITB » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:29 pm

There wasn't really a point to do that. If you are going to bump a topic, at least say something that relates to the topic.

User avatar
Indiana 266
001 Forum Master
 
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:33 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Wastelands (Turn Based Battle Alpha)

Postby Indiana 266 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:29 am

Well, I assume He is wanting new information on the progress.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
priest865
001 Subscriber
 
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:00 am
Location: Hiding Underground

Re: Wastelands (Turn Based Battle Alpha)

Postby priest865 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:26 am

Sorry for not updating lately.

A Feature I am currently working on are "bases" and "waves of enemies".

Bases are bigger Enemies like a Turret, a building or a smaller wasp hive which has special abilities. Other than Bosses they don't move around but have special abilities. For example the Wasp Hive can "create" a wasp after a certain time.

Waves of enemies are reinforcements which appear on the battlefield after the fight started.

I am also still working on a Wasp hive interior.

Editor shots:

The Enemies so far:
wasp hive.jpg


Tiles still not completed (because of time shortage already working on it 2 or 3 weeks):
wasp hive tiles.jpg
Image

User avatar
Indiana 266
001 Forum Master
 
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:33 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Wastelands (Turn Based Battle Alpha)

Postby Indiana 266 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:31 pm

Wow nice, btw is that Mr Smith I spy? :-P
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Tehufn
001 Fanatic
 
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:39 am
Location: On the couch, in Kirkland Lake, ON

Re: Wastelands (Turn Based Battle Alpha)

Postby Tehufn » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:05 pm

nice, but not to be mean, turn based systems in 001 are not new. this is an old Idea so don't rest an your laurels ;)
ImageTake the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

Current games
Maze game - Working on it.



games don't have to be challenging to be fun. If it has a breathtaking storyline, good characters, and hard puzzles, you're good to go. In the game, it shouldn't be too hard to defeat enemies If you're a god.

User avatar
Gamerdude
001 Support
 
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:56 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Wastelands (Turn Based Battle Alpha)

Postby Gamerdude » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:55 am

I disagree. Several people have scripted them, yes, but I've yet to see one of this proportion.
Image
Image

User avatar
Deedasmi
001 Forum Master
 
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 10:47 pm
Location: At my computer (like always)

Re: Wastelands (Turn Based Battle Alpha)

Postby Deedasmi » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:11 am

Tehufn wrote:laurels ;)


google says that's a tree. So I'm a little confused

And turn based hasn't been done on a big, and effective scale before that I've seen. Especially in iso.

User avatar
Indiana 266
001 Forum Master
 
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:33 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Wastelands (Turn Based Battle Alpha)

Postby Indiana 266 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:46 pm

Deedasmi wrote:
Tehufn wrote:laurels ;)

Google says that's a tree. So I'm a little confused

Don't trust Google ever! :-P
I'm assuming you do actually know what He meant and are just joking right?
*Going off topic here sorry..*
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Jegar
Ultimate 001 Member
 
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:49 pm
Location: Midwest U.S.

Re: Wastelands (Turn Based Battle Alpha)

Postby Jegar » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:00 pm

Played this demo.
I am quite impressed with how smooth the turn based combat is. Kinda wish there was a little bit more visual feedback when a person is attacked.
Image
Image

User avatar
priest865
001 Subscriber
 
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:00 am
Location: Hiding Underground

Re: Wastelands (Turn Based Battle Alpha)

Postby priest865 » Thu May 05, 2011 6:21 pm

Jegar wrote:Played this demo.
I am quite impressed with how smooth the turn based combat is. Kinda wish there was a little bit more visual feedback when a person is attacked.

I was myself quite impressed of the outcome. Still needs lots of tweaking.

I am still working on turn based battlesystems. Currently started working on a 2nd one where I try mouse support which is quite similar to the Battle-system of Ether Lords. Basically both are under the working title Project wastlands as the goal of the project is just to get an awesome turn based battle system still not sure which one I gonna use in the end.

Update:
Still working on Wastelands. However I decided to do everything from scratch as I am finally finished with all the testing. If I keep with the current speed the next demo could be in 2 months out. Most of the scripting is already done. next is the work on characters. This time I am going to use Blender to render animations and Gameworld. I already used Blender for the previous version but I used IClone for the Character. This time everything is different. This time everything is made in Blender.

Now to the new Features (most of them are already working):

Mouse - handling similar to Diablo 2
Assign - attack sets, similar to them of Diabo 2
Travel map - similar to the one of Fallout 1 with random encounters
skills - increase by use (similar to oblivion)
No levels - you won't see any progress it is meant for the focus on the gameworld and the story than on numbers
Random Missions similar to the one of Freelancer (mostly attack and destroy, but I will also try to make the Random Quest generator more flexible for complexer random quests.
Needs - Your character is going to have needs like hunger, sleep and thirst. So before going on an adventure you always have to prepare for it. On the world map you will be able to also set up a camp for the night, but you can also be surprised during your sleep.
Notes - The Questsystem doesn't write everything down... like in real life you don't get for everything you can do magically a note on your mobile phone.


This means I am going from the Turn based back to the Action RPG approach. I will also try to ged rid somehow of the Health and PSI-bar however its very difficult to see low health and psi - energy on a 2d game. Same applys to the hunger, thirst and sleep deprivation bar.
Image


Return to Games In Progress

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

cron