Inverted Diagonal Shadows - Bug?

Have any questions or problems in making your game, subscribing and/or using our software? Post here.
Forum rules
Make sure you are using the newest version. This can be downloaded at the top of the site via the "downloads" link.

Use a very good subject. "Problem" or "Help" are unacceptable titles.

Use the search feature before posting a question, as the answer is probably already here.

Subscript out of range error 9: This is a generic error, and we'll need way more information than that to figure out the problem. If you get this, strongly consider following the instructions of submitting your project through the Submit Bug feature within the editor.
Kraven4382

Inverted Diagonal Shadows - Bug?

Postby Kraven4382 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:50 am

Hello,

I am having some difficulty with Diagonal Shadows. It seems that the default diagonal shadows are inverted (top to bottom). Does anyone have a possible workaround or fix for this? I suppose I could disable the default shadows and draw my own but this would be time consuming and create a need for larger sprites. If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it. :)

Thank you,
Kraven

Arrow Shadow Example.png

SBG
001 Subscriber

Re: Inverted Diagonal Shadows - Bug?

Postby SBG » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:00 pm

Keep in mind that even in a 2D game, your game is still taking place basically in a 3D environment. It appears as if the arrow is sticking out of the ground diagonally in the shadow more than likely because that's exactly what it's doing with the sprite. In 2D it's not always gonna give you the most accurate representation of sprite orientation, because of how it's rendered. In the sprite editor, you can use the 3D view tab to get a much better idea of positioning your sprite so everything will show up better. If Billboard if checked, it's definitely gonna do this because it will always be 45 degrees in the game world to face the camera.

That said, I know the default shadow system isn't perfect, and I personally don't use it so I'm not 100% positive that fixing your sprites orientation in the sprite editor actually would solve your problem, but I think it's worth a shot.

Kraven4382

Postby Kraven4382 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:51 am

Thanks for your help, I'll see what I can work out. Do you know how to easily turn off all shadows in the game rather than putting a script into each actor?

Thank you!

Lee
001 Support

Postby Lee » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:00 pm

In the "Visual Settings" window there is an "Object shadows" option that you can turn off for all Tile-Sets and Actors.
Lee - 001 Community Manager

Danny
001 Forum Master

Postby Danny » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:31 pm

Lee wrote:In the "Visual Settings" window there is an "Object shadows" option that you can turn off for all Tile-Sets and Actors.

Sneeky. :evil:

Kraven4382

Postby Kraven4382 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:14 pm

Ah, that's where it was hiding! Thanks guys :)

Return to Technical Support Questions