Smugglers' Blues (in memorium)

Tell us about the 001 game you're working on. Show us screenshots. Discuss, promote and share games with others.
Forum rules
If you would like to post about your game, make sure to include screenshots and a long, well-written, thorough description.

Please be positive and understand that not everyone is skilled at using Map001. Games that are similar to other games, or fan games using commercial games' art are perfectly acceptable.

This forum section is dedicated to the discussion of games made with Map001 only.

You must upload your games to above games section of site. Outside links for games are forbidden in this section.
Lucifiend
001 Subscriber

Smugglers' Blues (in memorium)

Postby Lucifiend » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:07 am

Smugglers' Blues is a science fiction based game developed in the Star Frontiers universe. You play a rookie Star Law Ranger being tasked with his first mission. Called out to a distress beacon from a drifting freighter, you begin to unravel the twisting tale of what became of the crew. This mission will take the young Ranger across the known galaxy throug a variety of environments to uncover the truth.

Some of my prime goals in developing this game are:
-100% custom made resources. All are being manufactured in Blender as 3d models to crank up the quality of the graphics.
-Innovative game play elements. This game won't be just a shoot and search game. I've devised a variety of puzzles and branches to keep things interesting.
-Skill progression depends on your actions. I'm trying to design a skill system that grows as you use them. Hack a computer and your computer skill goes up. Repair a robot and gain better robot skills.
-Remain true to the Star Frontiers game. Its an old cult classic roleplaying game from the early 80's. I'm doing my best to create game mechanics and graphics that pay tribute.
-Maintain mood and atmosphere in each level. There will be added flair to help enhance the feel of the level. Sparking electrical cables, steaming vents, flicking power etc.

UPDATES:
-Skills have changed to a less character development style to a player based system. This means how well you do with a skill is how well you perform the skill as a player. Some changes can occur because of software and equipment upgrades while others are purely dependent on the player's own skills.
-A lot of the game 'innovations' are hidden in the scripting. Some things happening won't be completely apparent to the player. Example of this would be robot hacking. Through some simple controls a player can take over a hostile robot and make it remotely controlled. The tons of scripts have been streamlined so the player doesn't see how much is really going on beneath the hood. (Such as the waypoint system and partol commands).
-Completely new conversation dialogue box designed specifically for the game. Not only does the dialogues not interfere with game play by pausing the game, but important conversations can be reviewed in the comm logs.
-Branching story line. Most missions will hopefully have multiple endings. Whether these impact the rest of the game hasn't been decided since it requires that much more record keeping and planning in the design.
-Improved AI. Working on making baddies react differently and don't just blindly follow you around and fill you full of lead (or laser burns). Perhaps improve the player tactical planning a bit because of this. I don't wan't players just shooting until the enemy or you dies in some sort of western stand off.
-Every level will have its own flavor and design elements. When I noted that everything would be custom, I meant everything. Even the training levels are completely original graphics you won't see in the rest of the game. This severly slows my work but in play testing I think it's paying off.
Last edited by Lucifiend on Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rikuto148
Distinguished 001 Member

Re: Smugglers' Blues

Postby rikuto148 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:19 pm

wow this sounds really good. when i saw the name i thought it was a rip off of smugglers' run.
I will draw up characters items: clothes ect... Just pm me with the item and a decscripion or picture =)
[CENTER]ImageTake the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.[/CENTER]

Lucifiend
001 Subscriber

First Look At Imagery

Postby Lucifiend » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:35 am

I've added a look at how the graphics are evolving. This is one of my more favorite areas, a space freighter's engine room. Steam vents from the floor every 20 seconds, the reactor has animated cells on it, monitors on the wall cycle through engine readouts. It worked out fairly nicely. In the center of the frame is the male character I've designed. He's from a 3D model made in blender and has full motion in all 8 axis. Also you can get a look at the HUD layout so far. There are other portions that display as needed, such as a communications box and objectives box. Pretty much everything you see besides the HUD frames is from a 3D model.
Attachments
Smugglers' Blues Freighter Stage Sm.jpg

rikuto148
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby rikuto148 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:41 pm

HOLY SH*T dude it looks awsome! wow wow wow. OMG! lol wow it looks awsome. keep up the great work i will definetly try it out. DAM wow
I will draw up characters items: clothes ect... Just pm me with the item and a decscripion or picture =)
[CENTER]ImageTake the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.[/CENTER]

Lucifiend
001 Subscriber

Scripting

Postby Lucifiend » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:51 am

Not the code version of scripting, the dialogue. I'm getting to a point with the first level where I need to have the dialogue tightened up. Conversation between the player and the control officer are critical to investigating the freighter. The control officer will act as a bug in your ear keeping you informed of vital information. I'm going to use the next few days to work out the messages and work out the kinks in the communication interface. Since I'm not using the standard messaging window I have to build some custom scripts to handle the text. As soon as that gets nailed down, the next phase is working on puzzle interfaces. During a player's exploration of the first level, they will bump into a few interface puzzles such as powering the ship back up. I've designed interactive interfaces that the player will need to step through correctly to unlock the puzzle. I think these interfaces will act as a nice diversion from the overhead view. I'll post an image when I start developing the puzzles more.

Darkvoid
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby Darkvoid » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:24 pm

Sounds like a good game...and really nice screenshot by the way. It looks very interesting and detailed. When it comes out I will most definitely try it. :)
My game Oncoming Storm should've been released about 2 years ago. Am working on it for about an hour a day, and plan to be finished soon (this is about the 6th time it's been delayed).

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Sun May 03, 2009 12:49 am

Loook niiiiceee.

Lucifiend
001 Subscriber

Re: Interruption

Postby Lucifiend » Sun May 03, 2009 2:19 pm

All the replies are encouraging me on. Unfortunately I have a bit of a work stoppage on the game at the moment. Life intervenes as usual. I plan to hop right back on as soon as life gets out of the way. Perhaps in the meantime I can get a few more screen grabs to show some of the goods. I've contemplated a Blender tutorial for 001, except it would require knowledge of the software to understand. Once I got the magic pink figured out and how to get rid of the aliasing, I started producing resources at an insane pace (I can generate, say, a shirt for my male figure for all the necessary animations in about 2 minutes). The only downside is file size. My project clocks in about 40 megs, and I only have the first level finished! I hope to have at least 8 unique environments. The first 'level' is actually four maps plus cutscenes, so I hope the players get their money's worth (how do you measure free?) Perhaps in my downtime I can start creating fantasy type models for those who might want to use my resources in their own games. Life permitting.

Footnote:
I did notice one quark with characters in 001. If I create a character that is not 32w x 64h, (ex: i had a 64 x 64), the weapon points misbehave and dock the weapons as if they were 32 x 64. Pretty frustrating for my 3 odd shaped aliens I had created to allow as player characters.

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Sun May 03, 2009 3:09 pm

Please report and discuss bugs in the bug reporting forum. However, this bug has been fixed for the next version already.

Lucifiend
001 Subscriber

Sneak Peeks

Postby Lucifiend » Wed May 06, 2009 3:09 pm

I've dug up a few images to fill the gap in development. Its a stall tactic, but it'll have to do. The images demonstrate several of my key elements for this game. New weaponary. At the moment I have about 12 custom weapons. I'm hoping to get this up around 20. If you include vehicle weapons, which I hope to figure out, then you can tack on another 10 or so. The interface puzzle is an idea I had to mix up the gameplay. Much like the kind you would find in the old grahpic puzzle games. The power distro box is a simple, follow the instructions type to get players warmed up. Do the steps out of order and pop the circuit and have to reset the system. The cutscene images are rough renders straight out of Blender to see how the models looked in front of a back drop. Since cutscene will be the last stage of the construction, I'm not even stressing on how they will work. I plan to have some animation to them, but thats a problem for later.
Attachments
Heavy Nova0001.jpg
A cutscene image of the main character's ship, Heavy Nova. It comes with the scout ship attached on top and a deployable vehicle inside.
Freighter0001.jpg
The freighter, the main character's first mission. Example of a cutscene image.
auto pistol0001.jpg
An automatic pistol. One of many new weapon types.
auto pistol0001.jpg (16.65 KiB) Viewed 3036 times
Engine Power Distro0001.jpg
Example of an Interface Puzzle

coffeennicotine
001 Fanatic

Postby coffeennicotine » Wed May 06, 2009 3:22 pm

Wow I am seriously impressed. :shock:

I work with blender myself, it's a fantastic program and powerful enough to get the job done. (Why oh why can't they embed transparency based ray-traced shadows tho. Yaf-ray is pure evil in my opinion.)

But anyways, you've really amazed me with the screen shot.... I keep looking back at it an I'm just amazed.

And that character model! My god, man. Can't wait for the demo.

Fireleaf
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Fireleaf » Wed May 06, 2009 10:19 pm

REAAAAAAAALLY like the graphics and the puzzles idea sounds really cool. Is this a 3D game or is it based in a 2D world with 3D models?
Hey, I compose custom music for games (for free). PM me about it.

Tales of Northeta:
http://www.engine001.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22467&p=349875#p349875

Sunbreak City:
http://www.engine001.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21483

Shmallow World (tentative progress)
Shmalloween (2010)
Attack-or-Treat
Gongo Warrior

Lucifiend
001 Subscriber

Perspective

Postby Lucifiend » Thu May 07, 2009 7:14 am

To answer the 3D/2D question, I've come up with a method in Blender to output the models as 2D sprites with pink, as required by Engine001. It helps create the illusion of 3D, even though the game is exactly like all the other 001 games. I'm getting better at tricking the system so that walls aren't always either up/down and left/right. On the base ship, Heavy Nova, some of the walls are diagonal giving a more hexagonal look rather than the usual square. One of the things that keeps me going is finding new ways to use the game engine. For example, the begining of the 2nd level the character is going to drive Charlie, his fancy all-terrain vehicle. The character climbs in a full sized Charlie, but when he starts driving, the map changes and now Charlie is only 32 x 32, so this gives the illusion of a higher perspective and a broader view of the map. Plus this allows the player more room for challenges: Canyons to jump, rock slides to avoid, gun turrets, etc. Its a small tweak but in my test map it gave more fluid controls to a vehicle and felt 'right'. I really want each level to offer something a little new.

metomunc
001 Forum Master

Postby metomunc » Thu May 07, 2009 10:54 am

This looks and sounds really good. I like the lighting you have going on and the sprites look amazing. About the point of veiw thing, I don't think that has been utilized in any released 001 games yet, way to change it up. I can't wait to see what this is like when it's finished.
Who should I really listen to?

Gamerdude
001 Support

Postby Gamerdude » Fri May 08, 2009 2:04 am

Wow, the interface puzzle looks nice. Actually, so do all the graphics ;)

evergreen
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby evergreen » Fri May 08, 2009 7:04 am

Dude..... this is soooo good.
What is it with the massive inflow of ridiculously talented new users lately?
Good luck with this project. I am sure i speak for the wider 001 community when i say i cannot wait to play this.
Game Coming Soon. Click Here to read about it.

Lucifiend
001 Subscriber

Back in the Saddle

Postby Lucifiend » Fri May 08, 2009 10:12 am

I've begun work on the game once more. Thanks for the gracious replies, they are helping motivate me to conquer the mountain of work I've laid out before me (I can't just have a salad, I gotta have the whole buffet). Rewrote the communications script last night. I think, after hours of agony, I've got a pretty solid interface for communicating information to the player. Sometimes I think I like just making work for myself. Couldn't just use the standard message box. Also spent a little time developing vehicle weapons and think I've got it pretty close to working. A few more tweaks and I think I'll have it. As soon as I get the vehicles to quit shooting themselves... Today I focused on making character portraits for the communication interface. These will appear when you get calls from various folks on your wrist worn chronocom so you can see who your speaking too. I want to have quite a few sketches just because I can't doing anything the easy way.

Darkvoid
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby Darkvoid » Fri May 08, 2009 1:19 pm

gamer_dude001 wrote:Wow, the interface puzzle looks nice. Actually, so do all the graphics ;)

I have to agree, the interface puzzle is a really neat idea and it looks nice.
And anyway, good luck with your project. I really can't wait for the demo of this.
My game Oncoming Storm should've been released about 2 years ago. Am working on it for about an hour a day, and plan to be finished soon (this is about the 6th time it's been delayed).

Lucifiend
001 Subscriber

Comm Portraits

Postby Lucifiend » Sun May 10, 2009 4:26 am

I've created 30 unique faces for the Communications window. That way when you get a message you can see who it's from. Nothing fancy at the moment, just line art. Its not critical now, but I hope to paint them in with Photoshop a little further down the line. The main issue is that I have the core characters done so I can move on with Level 1. My original idea was to allow the player to custom build their character, but, seeing the work load ahead to make that happen, that might be less of an option. Today I'm going to start focusing on a key part of the game I've been avoiding. I want characters to be able to hack computer systems, but I've had some trouble nailing down how it will happen. Last night I started putting ideas down and think I have a workable system. The important part was for the character to gain more abilities the more he uses the skill. Or at least purchase upgrades. I definitely want it to be an interactive experience. Over the next couple of days I'll see how this pans out. This goes along the line of having several different skill sets to focus on. Computers, robotics, demolition, investigative and security. Dependiing on what skills you develop, you could solve the levels through different means. Once again, the is a monstrous task, but I'm determined for it to happen. More on this when I start developing it.

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Zhuge » Sun May 10, 2009 12:41 pm

Cool! Great graphics, good story. I'll be sure to play it. 8)

coffeennicotine
001 Fanatic

Postby coffeennicotine » Sun May 10, 2009 2:33 pm

Woa Luci, you really hit the ground running with this one. The game play mechanics sound really cool.

As far as skills and implementing them, welcome to my nightmare :lol: . Concerning skill improvement, there are so many ways to go it can be daunting. The biggest question I end up asking myself is, how much do I want the main quest to rely on skill improvement? To a degree I think it should, but there are a lot of players out there that aren't into that. Should material gathering play into skills? Well, have fun with this one. ;) A large part of the game's feel will be dictated by this. I'm interested to hear about what you decide.

serrafina
001 Forum Master

Postby serrafina » Sun May 10, 2009 3:34 pm

Woah, that's great graphics going on, and the story sounds interesting too to boot! My only suggestion to get more people to come and click on your game, is the title. :? "Smugglers' Blues" sounds like 60's that deals with drugs and Al Capone. My comment isn't trying to be mean, but that's why I didn't click until I was like what the heck, why not just look at it. But the game is awesome! I just didn't like the Game's title.

Lucifiend
001 Subscriber

The Blues

Postby Lucifiend » Mon May 11, 2009 4:35 am

Commenting on the name of the game was pretty dead on, actually. I rather enjoy Coboy Beebop, which takes most of its cues form 70's grifter movies. Several of its episodes use Blues in it, such as Asteroid Blues and The Real Folk Blues. Smugglers' Blues is at its core an investigation game, with the player a law enforcement agent trying to uncover the truth behind a crime. There will be guns, vehicles, robots galore, but I want to remain somewhat true to the original Star Frontiers RPG (think original Star Trek series for reference).

Of course I can't help putting in my own take on things, which is why when I put in computer hacking, it might feel more like Shadowrun. I wanted it to be interactive as possible so you get a symbolic representation of what the hack is doing. As you buy upgrades to your software you gain new abilities to break stronger systems. You can either locate a pass key or password somewhere out in the real world, or, screw it, just hack the computer. If you find the password/key, then you gain investigation skill (which will make it easier to discover things later through a system of icon cues). If you hack the computer instead, you computer skill goes up making your computer software work better. Obviously, this is what I've been working on over the past couple of days. My notes are getting pretty cluttered so its time to quit brainstorming and start figuring out how to make all this work!

serrafina
001 Forum Master

Postby serrafina » Mon May 11, 2009 12:15 pm

Yeah, Cowboy BeBot is a good series, and they're in takes reminds me of Outlaw Star. So here's my suggestion for the name, you can keep "The Blues" or "Smugglers' Blues", this is just a suggestion. You said you want to put an investigation and hacking sequences involved, so how about, "Hacking the Blue Servers".

So the codes would be in numeral, or do we intend to find the clues through their evdience in the game? How are you going to setup the code sequence? Will you be adding a numberal pad!? :] That way the input code would be easier to access?

Lucifiend
001 Subscriber

In Production

Postby Lucifiend » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:50 am

Since last post, I have been hard at work on quite a few features in my never ending task to make Smugglers' a great game. Even though I'm fully part of helping Evergreen get Cantrel: Kingdoms up and going, I'm just as dedicated to making Smugglers' an enjoyable game. Because of this, I'm progressing slowly but steadily.

Menus
I'm on version 2 of my menus. The first go around they looked terrible. Realizing how unpleasing they looked, I scrapped the whole thing and started from square one. I feel very confident that the new menus are far cleaner and functional. One of the features that worked perfect was the game map. Not only does it show you an overview of the mission levels but will indicate on the map your current location (very accurately I might add). Another item that works nicely is the Comm Log. Here you can scan through all your past communications traffic for the current mission. This way if you can't remember a specific clue told to you earlier, you can roll through the message and reread the transcript. It even tells you who sent it, when and their graphic. After much cursing of the gaming gods, I finally worked out the equipment section as well. I'm not sure why this has to be so complicated (perhaps to me anyway), but after hours of cursing I got it worked out.

Robot Hacking
The ability to hack into a robot and reprogram them is progressing well. Currently, you can stun the robot, override its security and then implement a single program. This is good, that means I've just about got this one nailed down. The security override ended up looking a bit like Rock Band, but works great for a mini-game. Using the arrow keys, you hit them in time with color coded 'chips' that rain down on a small computer display. The one program you can load into the robot is the ability to take the robot over. The hardest part was getting the robot to shoot correctly, but I've got it straight now. The robot remote control has a maximum control range so the further the robot roams, the worse the signal gets. Of course, your local black market can sell upgrades for this at a premium.

Computer Hacking
Insert a deep sigh here. I'm working on it, but its waaay back on the list. I actually had to take a break from working on the game because of this one. I'm on version 3 of this one.

Playable Demo
This is my current goal. I want to get the first mission as tight as possible so I can get this game out in some form for others to see. My perfectionism is making this part hard, but I'm really wanting this to be done soon. I would like to get some training levels done for the demo as well, because, if not, it might be a little confusing from the new game mechanics. What are screens? How does robot hacking work? How do I GET robot hacking to work? How does demolitions work? When can I hack computers? Etc. But, if I make training scenarios, it could tack on quite a bit of time. I believe, from the amount of time I've spent working on just one mission, you can see the level of quality I expect from my work. A lot of this has been game mechanics for the rest of the missions, so those levels should move faster, but I have a lot more game mechanics for later missions to develop as well (vehicle combat, improved enemy AI).
Last edited by Lucifiend on Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:39 am, edited 6 times in total.
Reason: Automatically merged double post.

evergreen
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby evergreen » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:06 pm

I really can't wait to play this.
Sounds like it will defiantly make an impact on the adult diaper market.
Can we have more screen shots?

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:21 am

Good luck on the Bioshock-esque hacking scripts; they won't be too easy, if you ask me.
"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

Apocalypse I Act I: //////////////////// - 25% Done, Demo v0.3
AVAILABLE: http://www.engine001.com/games/Apocalypse+I+-+Act+I_601.htm
Please play through the full game, or PM me for hints and easter eggs.

The M4 Team Salutes You.

Lucifiend
001 Subscriber

Image Update

Postby Lucifiend » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:17 am

So here are a few snapshots. I've posted the character layouts before, but I think they got zapped during my forum fudging. You can see how they will be used in the communications example. I've also got two Main Menu shots, one of the map feature that makes me happy, and the other is the Comm Log. Finally we have shots showing the communications window I crafted. It behaves a little better than the built in message system. For one, I can send updates to it and not stop the game play. So you can be working on an interface puzzle while receiving instructions from your support team. The final comm shot shows how you can select decisions and such. It can also ask for inputs but that screen reveals a little too much game play for my liking.
Attachments
Character Layout 2 Sm.jpg
Usual lineup of characters
Freighter Map.jpg
The red dot is actually animated and fairly acurately shows you where you are.
Com Log.jpg
A wonderful way to browse you communications. Only stores the current mission transmissions.
Com Choice Sm.jpg
I can have up to six options to select from.
Com Example.jpg
Your lifeline to your support crew. Also where the game informs you of observations and the like.

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Zhuge » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:56 pm

Ahhhhhhhhhhh!
Speechless! THAT INTERFACE IS PERFECT!

coffeennicotine
001 Fanatic

Postby coffeennicotine » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:53 pm

This one is so going on my wishlist. The graphics are great and the pacing seems dead on in (As exampled in the screen with the narrative.) That new HUD is top notch too. :shock:

I'm a fan of the ol' 'What the hell happened to the crew of this derelict _______?' genre to boot. Great quality here.

So many great games seemed to start development right when or a little after I got here. Keep up the great work Lucifiend. Can't wait to see more.

Fireleaf
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Fireleaf » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:43 am

SWEEEEEEET HUD! Man now I need to work on mine to get it up to par. :lol:

Tales of Northeta:

Sunbreak City:

Shmalloween (2010)
Attack-or-Treat
Gongo Warrior

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:19 am

ZhugeLiang wrote:Ahhhhhhhhhhh!
Speechless! THAT INTERFACE IS PERFECT!

Not really perfect (I can find better ones), but flawless, at the very least.
For once in my life, I'm impressed (even the ones I make suck).
"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

The M4 Team Salutes You.

evergreen
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby evergreen » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:15 am

Amazing work...

C0c1
001 Forum Master

Postby C0c1 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:30 pm

You easly have a 8+ game on your hands. Not only are your graphics steller you seem to want to back up the story amazingly well. Nice job I want a demo and tons more screens :D
I'm Back! :D

Add me on xbox dalek124

Games:
Life As A Kid IIIIIIIIII 5%

Lucifiend
001 Subscriber

Robot Wars

Postby Lucifiend » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:50 am

So, robots. I've been hammering on the scripts to hack robots and I think I've jus about got it pinned down. Currently, you can make a poor, unsuspecting robot get hacked, be 'possessed' by you, and finally, be given an automated command to run on its own. This is nice so you can position your captured bot then send it to do a task. The task I've got finished are Assault, Defend, Escort (you), Shut down, and my favorite, Self Destruct. Blow that sucker into bottle cap sized pieces of scrap. The final script I'm polishing is Patrol. Mark four waypoints anywhere on the map and the robot dutifully makes his rounds sniffing for a brawl.

I finally quit crying and got the computer hacking scripts straightened out. Considering my original vision, hacking is a 1/10th my original concept. I'm only one Lucifiend so I had to back off my schemes a bit. My first incarnation was more Shadowrun, log in and become a computer avatar and such, but that became a logistic nightmare. It looked pretty cool, anyhow! But making the logic had me reeling. Now, hacking is more of a program 'toolbox' that you use to override systems, download data, etc.

After I get the whole robot thing under control, I can get around to finishing the first Mission. I'm really down to one puzzle and two cinematics, and whatever other random ideas I get along the way.

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:54 am

Be careful with the self-destruct there. If you have to walk close to the robot to give it commands, I really won't let the robot self destruct instantly; maybe let it fly to an enemy and, after some time, go boom? Or you can make it explode on death.

The M4 Team Salutes You.

Lucifiend
001 Subscriber

Flaming Death

Postby Lucifiend » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:07 pm

MIV wrote:Be careful with the self-destruct there. If you have to walk close to the robot to give it commands, I really won't let the robot self destruct instantly; maybe let it fly to an enemy and, after some time, go boom? Or you can make it explode on death.

Already taken in to consideration. The commands are fired remotely, so I think you can see where this could be handy. Nothing like sending the cute maintenance bot in to give your enemies a surprise. It acts as a mobile remote detonated mine.

Speaking of which, I designed the waypoint system for the robot patrol function. Works beautifully. I couldn't be happier. You get to mark four points on the map for your possessed bot to march around tirelessly until it runs into something worth while. Not a whole lot of error scripting so the player can be a dork and break the system by marking outside moveable areas (say, waypoints in a wall). I'll worry about that later I suppose. I'll try to get some images up tomorrow to demonstrate they robot command HUD.

C0c1
001 Forum Master

Postby C0c1 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:42 pm

Sounds Nice :D

Add me on xbox dalek124

Games:

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Re: Flaming Death

Postby MIV » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:11 pm

Lucifiend wrote:
MIV wrote:Be careful with the self-destruct there. If you have to walk close to the robot to give it commands, I really won't let the robot self destruct instantly; maybe let it fly to an enemy and, after some time, go boom? Or you can make it explode on death.

Already taken in to consideration. The commands are fired remotely, so I think you can see where this could be handy. Nothing like sending the cute maintenance bot in to give your enemies a surprise. It acts as a mobile remote detonated mine.

Are the commands given by key pressing, or by a text box?
If you do it by key pressing, you'll have to remember to tell them what the keys are. If by the latter, it will be pretty disruptive for you during combat.
And anyway, make sure you remember to make that cute little bot fly over to that guy, particularly if he's using a ranged weapon and staying a considerable distance away.
By the way, they also self-destruct on death, don't they? That way, you can make 'em helpful to you, but a bit of a pain in the rear if you don't watch their backs, especially if they're next to you firing away.

The M4 Team Salutes You.

fdu5526
001 Admirer

Postby fdu5526 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:52 pm

Epic. Purely epic :D

coffeennicotine
001 Fanatic

Postby coffeennicotine » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:34 pm

The robot hacking aspect adds strategy in a place I didn't expect it. (And is really cool.) Nice implementation Lucifiend 8)

C0c1
001 Forum Master

Postby C0c1 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:48 pm

Smuggler's blues= 10 :D

Add me on xbox dalek124

Games:

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:19 pm

No guarantees, but at least he'll definitely get something above a 6.

The M4 Team Salutes You.

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Zhuge » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:22 pm

He'll probably get my monthly 10. :lol:

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:34 pm

ZhugeLiang wrote:He'll probably get my monthly 10. :lol:

He'll probably get my annual 10.

The M4 Team Salutes You.

Lucifiend
001 Subscriber

Driver's Training

Postby Lucifiend » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:44 pm

I've been working on some training scenarios, which is providing me an excellent excuse to resolve some game mechanic issues. I just finished the firing range scenario. The moving targets advance towards you, and as you pop them, they begin to deteriate through seven different states of damage. The effect makes me quite happy. This also lead to creating the weapon mode selector (and fancy term for the TAB key). Certain weapons have different attack modes which are cycled by tapping the TAB key. Automatic weapons can cycle from semi-auto to full auto. Beam weapons (laser) have variable power settings. Crank up the dial and the weapon does greater damage, but at the cost of more power. Laser Pistols have 5 power settings, where Laser Rifles have 10 (that calculates as 10d10 in table top RPG rules). Weapon damage is all determined by d10 increments, just as in the original game. Next I'm creating Power Belts and Backpacks to help power various resources including your beam weapons and defensive screens. Is your 20 SEU (Standard Energy Unit) power clip not enough juice? Strap a 50 SEU power belt on and give 'em hell!

After weapon school I will probably turn to the vehicle course, though I haven't figured out how I'm going to do the terrain. I would like for vehicles to splash through water, splatter mud, and show the effect of climbing slopes. I think I would like to have all the training scenarios done before putting out a demo. There are quite a few game play tweaks that need some explaining before jumping in. I wouldn't want to get griped out that someone didn't know how to hack a computer when it was required to defeat a portion of the game (which its not, but it was the first example that came to mind). Almost all the special skills aren't necessary, they just add flavor.

Luckily there aren't any enemies to worry about in the first level (sort of), so I can push off developing enemy AI until later. I really want the bad folks to do more than charge at you guns blazing. My notes would like them to have different personnalities so that some enemies will charge you, other will pop out from cover, while others will run for help. If I get really swift I want leaders to give orders to the minions to make your life miserable. Since I'm pretty lame at programming, mostly expect the enemy to charge at you guns blazing...

I've gone low tech. After all these months of scripting and modeling, I've devolved to pencil and paper. I'm working on original art work that will grace load screens and such. The current game is using some of the original game art, crafted by Larry Elmore and Jeff Easely (the original gods of TSR art). Feeling guilty about my claim to 100% custom content, I realized I had to shed these images and make my own. My first image is penciled and inked, so now I need to begin the painting process with Photoshop. I want this stuff to look high-speed (as in good) so I'm going to be taking my time and doing it right. It takes quite a few hours for me to complete the painting so I'll probably be doing it in stages. I won't be showing the art work until the demo comes out. Gotta save a few surprises. But I plan on posting what few pics I have on me on the General Discussion: Art as soon as I possible to give folks an idea what my work looks like. Considering I typically lean towards cartoon (not because I like it, but because I'm lazy), I'm struggling to dust off my realism skills.

I've gotten close to finishing up the weapon range training, so I'm beginning work on the driving course. I've learned one thing: You people are freaking nuts. For vehicles I've had to go to pixel painting with Photoshop. Not a whole lot of 3D ways to represent a muddy road, especially one that blends with its neighbor tiles. So now I'm leaning over, squinting at my screen, trying to draw mud and grass. Not as romantic as it sounds. Started designing animated water (got to use 3D for most of that one) and gotten an average warm fuzzy on that one. I'm doing my best to make things look less...square, but that triples the work. Adding tiles with slight imperfections and such to break down the straight edge look things have now. I haven't achieved Oculus status graphics yet, but will keep toiling until I get frustrated and declare the map good enough. Awful lot of effort to make a training map.
Last edited by Lucifiend on Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Automatically merged double post.

evergreen
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby evergreen » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:14 pm

*droll

Lucifiend
001 Subscriber

Postby Lucifiend » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:45 pm

Drooling from too much text to read? I do get long winded, but not today!

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:43 am

Now that is a really unique idea, does the power replenish on it's own?

The M4 Team Salutes You.

evergreen
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby evergreen » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:30 am

Lucifiend wrote:Drooling from too much text to read? I do get long winded, but not today!

Don't reduce it, but it would be easier to read if you threw in a few screen shots here and there ;)

Lucifiend
001 Subscriber

Arm Twisting

Postby Lucifiend » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:40 pm

Ow! Ow! Alright, you bullies. Geesh, can't leave any surprises for the actual game can you? I added some of the training screens. The academy screen is just a fancy menu where you select what you want to train on. Everything is a background image except the green box and text. I've only got the projectile and beam training finished. The second image is the firing range. Real simple: follow the range official's instructions. Shoot targets. This scenario boils down to button training. There isn't any real challenge beyond learning how to change your weapon from semi to auto or from low power to high. Short and sweet.

Thanks to Evergreen's inspiration, I've moved development updates to a blog. I'll still use the forums for ponderings and technical stuff, but the blog will track progress. I like the idea of being able to separate topics, such as screen shots, so readers can view what they want.

Speaking of ponderings, I've been playing with the idea of having a badge system. This will be more of like military ribbons you earn for, say, marksmanship or combat. Perhaps this can effect the game in some way, but I haven't gotten that far. Bonus mission? I don't know. I remember an old game from the 80's on my commodore 64 called Airborne Ranger. You collected campaign medals and such for good performance. It would be more like that than head shot medals and the like in current games. I have this character status screen that is pretty barren so it would sure spruce the place up a bit. How do players feel about these systems?
Attachments
Firing Range.jpg
No real brainer. Shoot the target in your lane.
Academy Menu.jpg
Back to school. You should have paid attention the first time!

C0c1
001 Forum Master

Postby C0c1 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:56 pm

The interface looks really nice! I also like the idea of badges. Good thinking. :D

Add me on xbox dalek124

Games:

evergreen
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby evergreen » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:23 am

Sweet!

Gamerdude
001 Support

Postby Gamerdude » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:53 am

Interface looks great Luc. :)

Stephen Chapman
001 Forum Master

Postby Stephen Chapman » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:06 am

May I say...
THANKYOU for using full customs! They look really good. So too do the HUDS.

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:30 am

Very interesting screenshot and accompanying graphic. :D
The enemy health bar could use a cooler holder to go with the theme, though.

The M4 Team Salutes You.

C0c1
001 Forum Master

Postby C0c1 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:58 am

It's times like this I really wish I could draw :?

Add me on xbox dalek124

Games:

Lucifiend
001 Subscriber

Health

Postby Lucifiend » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:39 am

I've been sort of wishy washy about the health bar. It serves its purpose, but I find them intrusive. Perhaps later when I sort out my bigger problems, I'll think of a way to slickin' them up. The more I stare at the display the more square things are looking. I might be able to shrink down the main hud a bit to give the player a better view.

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:51 am

You have a point. It does look very squarish.

The M4 Team Salutes You.

Lucifiend
001 Subscriber

The end is near

Postby Lucifiend » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:05 pm

After some dark contemplation, I'm thinking of calling it quits on Smugglers'. I've spent a huge chunk of time and effort and only have 1 almost complete mission near completion. It was a fun idea, but the work load is way over my head. Soon I won't have nearly the time to commit like I do now. Because of this, I think shutting this project down is better than continuing to work on it and know, according to statistics, I won't be finished with this game for nearly 2 years! I might release what I have done to show what this was about, but I don't think I was realistic about the size and scope of the game. Luckily, it taught me a lot about the 001 system so any future endeavors can be easier to plan and execute. I think I will do what I can to make a playable first mission, but it won't even be an sliver of what the game was going to consist of.

I'm finding myself more drawn to resource design than game development. Because of this, I might focus on the release of resources to up the quality of everyone's game. I'm quick at it, the objects are professional quality, and it can only help 001 as a community. I would really like to see the game graphics crank up a few notches beyond the starter sprites that come with. See what happens in the future. On the thought of resources, if i do shut the frontier down, I will immediately release all the game resources I designed for SB. So everyone wins either way this goes.

evergreen
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby evergreen » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:57 pm

Thats a massive shame. From what you have said to us you have done things with this engine that other users have only dreamed about.

I think you will find, once you release the demo, there will be a partition for you to continue this.

Having said that, it would probably be best to focus on what you enjoy the most. smaller projects are usually the most enjoyable, and 2 years is a long time to work on the one project.

Then again, just think how awesome it would be to have the installer for a 2 hour long finished product sitting on your desktop.

Best of luck with whatever decision you choose.

Lucifiend
001 Subscriber

Postby Lucifiend » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:15 pm

While sitting tangled in scripts, I realized that the most fun I had designing the game was when I was creating graphics. After that it slowly went from fun to serious work. Hours of effort to find out the script still wasn't working. I've spent more time screwing with scripts than making graphics. Half the time I would forget where the heck I was because I spent a week trying to get a robot hack script to work. The real nail in the coffin came from computer hacking. I went through three detailed phases before settling on the weak version I have now. The first ones were more fun but practically a game in themselves. If I had made this a team effort then things would have gone better.

I'm all for creating some simple diverson games to focus my attention to. Short but sweet.

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:35 am

If you insist, but if you need any scripting help, do feel free to ask.

The M4 Team Salutes You.

Lucifiend
001 Subscriber

Postby Lucifiend » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:39 am

I've posted what I had working of the original Smugglers' Blues game in the 001 game section. This is merely for amusement for those who followed the progress of the game over this topic. The game is barely functional with limited play testing. Expect bugs. Even though the first mission is mostly a puzzle/objective based mission, the whole game wasn't meant to be this way. I wanted folks to at least get a chance to see what I was trying to achieve with this game. The file is rather big since I didn't purge it of the unused portions of the game.

This is still considered an abandoned game.

Enjoy!

miroki123
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby miroki123 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:05 pm

Why would you abandon a game like this!? I tried it out and it was the most well-done game I have ever seen made with 001, really amazing. You've managed to create a fully working message system with a time-based log (awesome), a very interesting 2d environment mixed with 3d objects (which are very good btw), a well-worked mission (haven't tried the training yet), custom interfaces for mini games, etc. Basically, you have the best seen 001 game in your hands and you're giving up on it!? Companies take years to develop games, when you started the game you knew it wouldn't be a matter of days. I took 2 years myself to complete mine.
If you haven't tried out yet, check out my full game Voyage for Vengeance.
If you did but you're stuck, don't worry, there's a walkthrough available!

For those about to rock, we salute you.

Lucifiend
001 Subscriber

Postby Lucifiend » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:53 pm

I just couldn't see me working on this project 2 years from now. I quickly became overwhelmed by the task. The fact that I was able to focus on it for 4 months is amazing enough. Now that I'm home with my family, I just won't have the time to develop like I did before. I'm focusing on smaller, bite sized projects. Thanks for the feedback though. It was great to finally share what I've been working on with others.

By the way, I tried the laser weapon training and its broken. The only functional training is the projectile weapon training. Its about the same as the laser anyhow so just pretend.

miroki123
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby miroki123 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:16 pm

I understand your point. When I started my project, I didn't see it being finished 2 years from then. However, you don't have to work 24/7 on it, you can work when you feel like doing it. Mike himself follows this philosophy. ;)
Think it over, you already have the background system working (interfaces, custom events, storyline), now it's the easiest part, where your ideas come true.

Jegar
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Jegar » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:44 pm

I just played this and and and ............. My God it's it's amazing what you have done here is an example of excellent use of 001. Why you would leave this in such a state baffles me.

Fireleaf
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Fireleaf » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:05 am

:( Sniff ...

Tales of Northeta:

Sunbreak City:

Shmalloween (2010)
Attack-or-Treat
Gongo Warrior

Lucifiend
001 Subscriber

Postby Lucifiend » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:12 pm

I know, I'm pathetic. I spent so much time trying to be innovative I got lost somewhere along the way. But maybe I'll inspire someone else to doing something great.

miroki123
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby miroki123 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:14 pm

It doesn't have to be shutdown, you can take a break and continue whenever you have your time back. :)

EDIT: Completed first, third and special (bomb) mission, but when I went to the breach on first deck the game froze after some dialogue with the control center guy. Everything was amazing: the graphics, the ambience music, the sound effects and gameplay. It's sure better to play a game with less combats and more thinking. Your interfaces for turning the power on and disarming bomb were really good. How did you manage to count the words in your message system?

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:55 am

Lucifiend wrote:I know, I'm pathetic. I spent so much time trying to be innovative I got lost somewhere along the way. But maybe I'll inspire someone else to doing something great.

Make another game, at the very least?

The M4 Team Salutes You.

Lucifiend
001 Subscriber

Postby Lucifiend » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:23 pm

I've been fooling with smaller ideas lately. Nothing as expansive as I had planned with Blues. I haven't settled for anything yet.

metomunc
001 Forum Master

Postby metomunc » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:13 pm

I've got an idea you might be interested in. I won't say it's small, but it would seem like cake compared to this project. Let me know if your interested through a PM.

Excellent execution of a really good idea! Did you make all the visuals?

Lucifiend
001 Subscriber

Postby Lucifiend » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:32 am

This game, as far as I can remember, is 100% custom content. The communicator is hand drawn graphics. Just about everything above floor tiles is a 3D model (including a few floor tiles). The music and sound effects are from my production library at work (I'm a videographer). The textures used in the models are from CGTextures, an excellent site for game designer (it's all free, though with download size restrictions). The only graphic borrowing was the reference material I used to make the models (i.e.: the weapons, aliens, equipment, etc).

Xzu
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby Xzu » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:21 am

Lucifiend, I just downloaded and tried the short demo you put up, and I've got to say, that was simply the most amazing thing I have ever played that has been made with 001.
Untitled Game.
Currently Working On: Resources - Weapons
Weapon Progression: 14/56

Lucifiend
001 Subscriber

Postby Lucifiend » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:26 am

A kind compliment is always welcome here. Thanks!

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:45 am

C'est magnifique. Well done, love the HUD for sure.
Nice usage of customs too, although there may have been a few graphic clashes. Then again, don't all games have them? And the pseudo-3D was, in my opinion, magnificent.
I thought the HUD for the enemies had a bit of problems though (e.g. firing range - targets destroyed but they still have 'health' remaining).
Equipment subsection of HUD and the dialogues have errors, too.
Bug: The laser pistol tutorial thingy could not commence due to a conversation error. Try checking your scripts.

Still, definitely worth playing.

The M4 Team Salutes You.

metomunc
001 Forum Master

Postby metomunc » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:23 pm

Astounding interfaces! I wish I knew how to do that kind of stuff. I really like this game. I've only run into two major problems so far:

1. If you don't turn on the power in the 30 seconds there isn't a plan B.
2. I got stuck after looking at the hole in the wall. I could turn and switch through weapons, but couldn't move and the base man stopped talking after saying, "That's all we need."
ImageF.png
Got stuck here.

Lucifiend
001 Subscriber

Postby Lucifiend » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:05 pm

Nice graphic example :P (Made me laugh) That is officially the end of the game. After this, you are suppose to be told to go to the cockpit to finish up the level. Unfortunately, I never got that completed, so the script just dies. The easy fix is I need to finish the dialogue tree and then turn the inputs back on to control your character. But truthfully, unless you just want to poke around, there isn't much more afterward. I have some more puzzles and such, but they aren't finished so I didn't connect them into the game.

Did anyone find the bomb? Curious. Wasn't sure how obvious it was. If you do, I think the game dies there too since I never scripted the puzzle in. The puzzle is done, just not linked up right. I worked in pieces then tied them in after I was done. I also have an unlinked cockpit puzzle and a ship explodes portion(if you were unable to find the bomb in time). There all there, but just not scripted into the game.

Find the key to the medical cabinets? I think I have the tools to hack a robot included too, but don't remember if I've implemented it in the game. I was getting some bugs with it so kept it out.

miroki123
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby miroki123 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:46 pm

Found it, disarmed it. Though you can disarm it before it is turned on if you get to that room in the 30 seconds battery time.

ves75
001 Fanatic

Postby ves75 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:59 am

Found the bomb, and I believe after I figure it out and stop killing myself, I should try for Bomb Tech..... :lol:

At the very least you should finish up this level.
Pure Randomness!
New Website:VeSaban Entertainment Games
new and fresh... all about creating indie games from video games to pen and paper games.....
all coded in php by one person... now is ready for users to come along and try the boring old site..:D
well decide fer yourself... suggestions wanted

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:12 am

Found the tools and Robbie Jr. But it didn't work.

The M4 Team Salutes You.

Lucifiend
001 Subscriber

Postby Lucifiend » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:32 am

I figured the robot thing wasn't working. I remember trying it and something had broken. Which sucks because I got it working on my test level but it misbehaved in the actual game. This is an example of my scripts getting so complicated I couldn't figure out the mess later when I had a problem. Probably one stinking variable jacked up somewhere.

Yeah, I never set up the "if bomb not disarmed in 30 minutes" event so it pretty much won't do anything if you dont' disarm it. Like I said, I had the playable game pieces there, but I didn't necessarily 'wire' in everything. I have a pretty nifty explosive ending sequence if you don't disarm it finished, but I never hooked it up to work in the demo. I had just finished the sequence when I quit working on the project.

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:09 am

If the robot thing actually works, will the robot still attack you while the interface is up?

The M4 Team Salutes You.

Lucifiend
001 Subscriber

Postby Lucifiend » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:54 am

How robot hacking works is you have to have 3 components. You need a electrical stun weapon, which I believe is the stun stick in the demo. Then you need a Robot Tech kit, which is on Deck 3 I believe. Then you need a program chip. You whack a mole the robot with the stun stick, when this happens, the robot will freeze and a wrench icon appears over his head. At this point, you can walk up leisurely and hit the Enter button to interact with the robot. The robot hack interface should pop up and you go through the steps of hacking the system. The 'trick' of this puzzle is overriding the security to open the robot's external panel so you have access to the robot's circuitry (ie, Rock Band puzzle). Once inside, you simply place your chip to take control of the robot. I recall trying to do this once and a bug had crept in and made the full hack not work. I'll have to take a look, cause I had it working once upon a time.

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:45 pm

Whatever it was, the interface must have looked pretty bad-a**.

The M4 Team Salutes You.

Lucifiend
001 Subscriber

Postby Lucifiend » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:49 pm

I've deleted Smugglers' from the game library. It was really bothering me having an unfinished project sitting out there. Now I can sleep at night. Just general gee-whiz to enlighten your lives with. For those who got a chance to play, I hope it was worth the months of work I put in to it. But, I'm moving on to other things so I thought I'd put this one in the ground so it would stop haunting me.

Stephen Chapman
001 Forum Master

Re: Smugglers' Blues (in memorium)

Postby Stephen Chapman » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:24 pm

It's still good for demonstration of what you had done, which was purely excellent.

Lucifiend
001 Subscriber

Postby Lucifiend » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:02 pm

I guess it was sort of like when you worked on The Other Side. You just knew the time wasn't right. It was definitely good training wheels in game development. I learned not to attempt something that large without a team in place. Not all is lost though. I've found another Star Frontiers geek (we tend to be a die hard, old farts crowd) who has been working on his own game (using one of those "other" game engines unfortunately), so perhaps all those graphics I cranked out won't be for not. I did put in a plug for 001 to him, but I think he's knee deep into making his game on his current engine so switching systems isn't appealing. Of course, I'm all about 'whatever works'. The only deciding factor on engines for me was 001's flowchart scripting system. There was not going back soon as I saw that. It appealed to my inner slackerness. I've been toying with Java lately and it reminds me why I loathe line by line coding. :(

Stephen Chapman
001 Forum Master

Postby Stephen Chapman » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:35 pm

Lucifiend wrote:I guess it was sort of like when you worked on The Other Side. You just knew the time wasn't right. It was definitely good training wheels in game development.

When you put it that way, I would have to agree. My timing was terrible as it was a busy time of my life with exams. But I loved the general idea of it. That is what it seems to be like for all my games. I love the idea, but when it comes time to making it, I suddenly realise the amount of work that is in store for me to produce a high-expectation game.

Lucifiend
001 Subscriber

Postby Lucifiend » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:37 pm

Don't fret though, I've been getting the concrete ready to pour on a new project. I think my last game was too poop-n-snoop (means hiding in the bushes watching a target rather than attacking--its technical) for me. Too slow. I need carnage. And lots of it. I've been waiting for Mike to polish some features as well, which he's been knocking out steadily.

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Fri May 07, 2010 6:18 pm

It's quite unfortunate you took this down. This is one of the few games I actually got Pierre to play... :(

Lucifiend
001 Subscriber

Postby Lucifiend » Sat May 08, 2010 12:33 am

Everytime I saw in pop up in the featured games, I got a huge guilt trip out of not finishing it. I know there's no way I can carry on with it, so, for selfish reasons, I had to let it go. As a side not, I've been toying with the idea of making a web comic based on the bazillion pages of notes I've got left over from it. I just need someone to wedge in another couple of hours in to each day and I'll be golden. Perhaps someone could build an Annihilatrix to slow the rotation of the earth (a little Frisky Dingo reference there), that would be great.

Great! Now I've got double guilt for taking it down!

Scaveleon
001 Translator

Postby Scaveleon » Sat May 08, 2010 7:12 am

It's entertainment, and it's not broken. What good does it taking it down?

Mike wrote:It's quite unfortunate you took this down. This is one of the few games I actually got Pierre to play... :(

Which games did you get him to play? :)
MIV wrote:It's definitely not The Epic Game of Loladin as the screenshot said.
Nor is it The Epic Game of Loladin Happy Face.

SoundCloud
Project blog

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Sat May 08, 2010 10:09 am

A very select few. Maybe I should make a list of the games I find epic or something ;).

Jegar
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Jegar » Sat May 08, 2010 12:02 pm

You should.

Return to Games In Progress