Oncoming Storm - Darkness Strike (Updated: 03/07/2013)

Tell us about the 001 game you're working on. Show us screenshots. Discuss, promote and share games with others.
Forum rules
If you would like to post about your game, make sure to include screenshots and a long, well-written, thorough description.

Please be positive and understand that not everyone is skilled at using Map001. Games that are similar to other games, or fan games using commercial games' art are perfectly acceptable.

This forum section is dedicated to the discussion of games made with Map001 only.

You must upload your games to above games section of site. Outside links for games are forbidden in this section.
Darkvoid
Distinguished 001 Member

Oncoming Storm - Darkness Strike (Updated: 03/07/2013)

Postby Darkvoid » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:06 pm

Demo V1.07 is currently available on the 001 Website. The full version will be much different to the current version on the site.

UPDATE: 6th November 2010 - Haven't worked on this game for ages, so I should start progress. I won't concentrate on sidequests, I'll just try to add what I can for the full version.
Sidequests will come in a later version, but it won't be part of the main game.

Update: 3rd July 2013 - I realise I should've released this game four years. I'm glad I didn't leave it there, because I've worked on the game so much that I think it's 200% better than what it was back then. I'm not saying any release dates until I've finished the game and I've started testing it for bugs.

-------
Story
-------

(NOTE: The story for the full version is slightly different to the story for the game currently existing. The story explained below is the story of the full game. Read the description for the story in the games section to see the story for the current game).

Primordia, or the Realm of the Lords, is an area that exists on a different plane of existence to the world of traditional sentient life. Seven deities live in Primordia, and each are allocated to different tasks. The Lords ensure that the Cycle of Life in the otherworld, Gaia, is sustained, and that life on Gaia remains in order. The Cycle of Life is the cycle in which humans follow after death. When a human dies, their soul leaves their body and travels to the planet's core, which acts as a gateway to an alternate realm. In this alternate realm, the souls are nurtured and protected, for when they can be "recycled", reincarnated or become spiritual energy.
Nemesis, the overlord of the deities in Primordia, ensures that every other Lord contributes to the Cycle of Life and ensures Gaia is in balance.

Balance and harmony is maintained on Gaia for a short while, until an evil tyrant rises to power. A sadistic, megalomaniacal man named Zyrak attains the throne for human rule, and abuses his position of "World Leader". Zyrak hires deathsquads to slaughter hundreds of innocent people, and turns many peaceful towns into warzones. The people of Gaia lived under Zyrak's tyranny for three months. More people were being killed everyday, resources were becoming sparse and the population was dropping. Humanity was becoming desperate.

A group of rebels, led by a man named Neo Zero (a deity living in Primordia, who was sent by Nemesis himself to see what was causing an influx in souls departing to the Spirit Vault), devised a plan to end Zyrak's reign. They were to wait until nightfall, and initiate a preemptive strike on Zyrak when he was at his most vulnerable - in his courtyard.
Neo Zero and Zyrak battled in his courtyard, and Neo Zero emerged victorious. Zyrak was knocked out of his seat of power, and Neo Zero returned to Primordia and informed Nemesis what happened. The Lords, afterwards, made a unanimous decision to seal all means of passage to Gaia from the Realm of Lords, and ceased their manual crafting of Gaia's "spiritual architecture" and retired from their observations of the world, becoming deistic gods. However, the Cycle of Life continued, which was still being co-ordinated to sustain Gaia's life.
Gaia lived in harmony for the next five-thousand years (after Zyrak's reign) - people rebuilt their homes, established their own lands and formed their own governments.

Five thousand years after Zyrak's defeat, an unknown wizard travels into Shogun Castle (one of the main castle on Gaia) and locates Zyrak's grave. Using high levels of magic, Zyrak rises from the grave, and begins to walk across Gaia once again.
A sightseer who witnesses the revival of Zyrak informs the king of Shogun about the event. The king informs the other nations, and instructs the knights to stay alert. From now, all knights are obligated to participate in a training course, to be prepared should Zyrak be spotted.

You play as a Shogun knight, Shadow, who is determined to hunt down Zyrak for the future good of Gaia. When Shadow performs well enough to become a fully-fledged knight and has the freedom the leave the castle grounds, Shadow realises Zyrak's ambitions are different to last time and are much more destructive...

-----

------------------------------------------------
The next version, and why it hasn't been released
------------------------------------------------

The reason why the game hasn't been released yet is because it's such a large game, it has literally hundreds of maps and there is so much content in it that I believe it could be the largest game ever made on 001. I don't mean to sound bold or arrogant, but I do think it has the potential to be the largest game on 001. I have been working on it on and off for the past five years, I have been working on it quite a lot recently. The game has evolved so much since the 2009 version - the full version puts great focus on its storyline instead of being a "going from place-to-place" type game. I don't mean it's a linear game (because it's definitely not, although it does have its moments where the player has to continue the story), I just focused on giving the game a developed storyline because I want the player to feel as if they can immerse themselves in a world, and perhaps begin to care for the characters.

The battle system has also been refined and allows you to develop your character in numerous ways. For example, after every enemy you kill, you receive Ability Points, which can be used to learn abilities such as magic, and abilities that increase your HP and Attack. I'm considering introducing something like a "progression tree", like the Sphere Grid from FF10, but it would take too long and it would bore me, so I might consider the possibility for a later version.
Melee and magic (I also plan to do the same for ranged combat) are now all independent from one another, the power of your magic scales with your Magic stat and the power of your close range, physical attacks scales with your Attack stat and your Dexterity stat (which refers to the ability to use your weapons skillfully). With the Dexterity stat introduced, it means you'll be able to deal greater damage with weaker weapons, as I find that many RPGs I've played (take Final Fantasy IX for example) solely rely on attack power as a basis for calculating damage. In respect to general combat, I'm also in the process of integrating "status ailments" such as Poison.
With all these aspects taken into account, it means that you'll be able to bolster your character to be incredibly powerful. To compensate for this, I've made the game a lot harder, and have even made superbosses so you can overpower your characters so much that you'll be able to beat them.

I could be here for an eternity writing all the changes I've made to the game, so I'll summarise the rest of the changes in the form of bullet points. Here are some changes I've made:
- Maps look much better graphically now. All maps have been looked at carefully and have been edited to get rid of that bland, "looks like it's been rushed" look.
- The addition of something called "specialities". While these play no direct influence in the game in the long term, specialities allow you to change your stats based on your preferred method of combat. For example, setting a wizard speciality will bolster your magic and MP stats, as a foundation to work on should you want to become proficient in magic. Of course, setting your speciality does not lock you to a certain combat style, it just gives you a boost.
- I've composed some of my own music, and I think it sounds half-decent (compared to the stuff I used to make! Lol). I've tried to avoid using MIDIs from existing video games as I feel it lacks originality if I overuse music from Final Fantasy.
- New statistics, such as Chemistry, Hunting, Knowledge (replaces Wisdom), Physique, Evasion and Luck. These stats scale with how much you "use" them. The Luck stat is probably one of my favourites, it allows you to inflict critical hits - the higher the Luck, the more likely you are to inflict critical hits.
- The use of waystones. Because the scale of the world has been greatly increased (I've removed the Overworld Map and replaced it with scenic locations and events), I felt that adding teleporters would make transport and travel easier. I've even considered the possibility of waystone levels, and the customisation of waystones (by that, I mean being able to build them wherever you want).
- Lots of sidequests, exploration and backstory.
- Dungeons are less generic now. They contain more puzzles and have "gimmicks" (for the lack of a more positive term). For example, I had some criticisms from the demo pertaining to the fact that the dungeons were repetitive. In the full version I've made them more challenging and less monotonous; for example, the Fire Cave now increases your body temperature if you stay in it too long (which can kill you), and vice versa for the Ice Cave.
- Boss fights and regular enemies are also something I've focused on. Instead of hack-and-slash combat for bosses, I've now made it so the bosses have patterns and are much more aggressive. I've also made use of the Display Log Text event so the player can see what attack the enemy is about to use. One of my favourite boss fights in the game (which I won't spoil) involves the boss using an attack where multiple blades spawn in the area, and the enemy launches towards the blades, collects them, and uses them to charge into the player. I can see it being a very tough boss fight; something that doesn't exist in the current version.
- Sprint feature, with stamina. Need I say more?
- Hundreds of weapons and armour to use.
- The last thing I'm going to reveal (for now) is the use of party members. The original version only involves the main character (Shadow), the full version allows you recruit new members and allows you to switch them out for other members. Adds a new layer to strategy in battle.

------------
Screenshots
------------

Below are a collection of screenshots that show what the full version will be like. More screenshots will be added as time progresses.

The New Shogun Castle.

The Port Town of Amune.

That is one hell of a sword. You'll see this guy just over one third of the way through the game.

A not-so-revealing screenshot of my personal favourite area in the game - The Draje Steppe. I haven't quite finished mapping out this location yet, but I have promising ideas for it.

A stray desert town ravaged by sandstorms. The sandstorms were generated using particle effects.

And finally, a Golem, a creature I drew and animated from scratch. Once I sort out the weapon frames, he'll be ready to challenge. He is a formidable foe indeed, with over 400,000HP and attacks that can do one hit kills.

---------
Feedback
---------

Any feedback to the game is appreciated.
Please tell me what you think sounds good, and what could be improved. The same goes for the current version on the site - please tell me what could be improved and notify me of any bugs if you find any.

Thank you.

~Darkvoid.
Last edited by Darkvoid on Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:14 pm, edited 15 times in total.
My game Oncoming Storm should've been released about 2 years ago. Am working on it for about an hour a day, and plan to be finished soon (this is about the 6th time it's been delayed).

jake.lutze
Distinguished 001 Member

Re: Oncoming Storm - Darkness Strike

Postby jake.lutze » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:25 pm

Sounds kinda cool. Are you still working on it?
Do you want me to amke a resource?
PM me and Ill see what I can do.
Invasion of the 8-bit Aliens
resources: 25% done
making: bosses, enemies, and tiles
I R smrt. I promise.

Darkvoid
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby Darkvoid » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:14 pm

Yeah, I am still working on it. There is an error with the introduction, so I'll fix that. Other than that, it's going fine.
My game Oncoming Storm should've been released about 2 years ago. Am working on it for about an hour a day, and plan to be finished soon (this is about the 6th time it's been delayed).

jake.lutze
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby jake.lutze » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:16 pm

Sweet. Good luck, any screenshots?
I R smrt. I promise.

Darkvoid
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby Darkvoid » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:59 am

I've just got 2 screenshots from the game, but they are only 1st images. My game only has 6 maps so far, but I'm now putting 110% effort into this game. Anyway, here are the screenies...

The mysterious Neo Zero creating the world...(yes, I was in editing mode...)

Shogun Castle, your first location after the introduction, where a knight, Shadow is.

jake.lutze
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby jake.lutze » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:10 pm

Looks good, but a bit bright, but that could just be my tastes, as I prefer a darker game.
I R smrt. I promise.

ControlFreak82
001 Admirer

Postby ControlFreak82 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:21 pm

um, ok i am for sure going to advertise this game in mine! I might try to get evergreenterrance to advertise it to! Nice work! Is this your first game?
Are You A Game Maker: If not then you should be one!
http://www.engine001.com = awesome
Goto my game and give me some good ideas here:
http://www.engine001.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6987
Tell me if you need help and I will try my best to help!

Visit this forum:
http://www.engine001.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7151

Darkvoid
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby Darkvoid » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:53 pm

Cool :)
No, this isn't my first game. My first game was Elemental Flare, but I lost the file for my game. I've nearly finished the intro for my game, and I'm making a lot of progress with it.

By the way,
How do you mean by "I'm going to advertise this game in mine...".

ControlFreak82
001 Admirer

Postby ControlFreak82 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:58 pm

Darkvoid wrote:Cool :)
No, this isn't my first game. My first game was Elemental Flare, but I lost the file for my game. I've nearly finished the intro for my game, and I'm making a lot of progress with it.

By the way,
How do you mean by "I'm going to advertise this game in mine...".

You make a bill board like the one on my game topic (link on sig.)
I will put the bill board in differrent places on my game so you get more players!

Visit this forum:

C0c1
001 Forum Master

Postby C0c1 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:27 pm

That planet looks cool! :D
I'm Back! :D

Add me on xbox dalek124

Games:
Life As A Kid IIIIIIIIII 5%

evergreen
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby evergreen » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:02 pm

:o nice screen shots, you should put them in your first post so everyone that vists this topic will see them.
you have a real talent for intro and in game movies like in your previous game
what genre is this game?
Game Coming Soon. Click Here to read about it.

C0c1
001 Forum Master

Postby C0c1 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:31 am

looks medeveil. I could be wrong tho
I'm Back! :D

Add me on xbox dalek124

Games:
Life As A Kid IIIIIIIIII 5%

Darkvoid
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby Darkvoid » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:12 am

evergreenterrence481 wrote::o nice screen shots, you should put them in your first post so everyone that vists this topic will see them.
you have a real talent for intro and in game movies like in your previous game
what genre is this game?

The game is pretty much medieval, however I don't seem to take note of when the time is set.
I've pretty much finished my intro, and it's going to be better than my previous game.

- Will add screenshots to main post soon

ControlFreak82
001 Admirer

Postby ControlFreak82 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:29 am

jake.lutze wrote:Looks good, but a bit bright, but that could just be my tastes, as I prefer a darker game.

Something cool to do with this is on the variables make a time variable and put a field that acts with the variable but make it tell the time on your game and put some timers on the hud like a bunch for every hour it will use a change the variable up 1 for a hour and put another timer that has the same time as the original hud timer something like Delay:0 Interval:40 Number of ticks:0 and put a timer and put a bunch of comparison branches to check the Time Variable like if it looked like Time: 1:00 pm on testing the game it might look like 1 but make a comparison branch for if variable Time = 1
Time = 2 and so on until 24 and every one make the sun darker every time the variable gets bigger! If you don't understand then pm me and i will give you the code later or tomorrow sometime!

Visit this forum:

Darkvoid
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby Darkvoid » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:07 pm

Woah...brilliant idea! Never thought of that. For some levels in my game, I was going to add a timer that gave you little time to do a quest / mission. I will use your idea in, perhaps, a later demo of my game, as I'm still in the VERY early stages of my game, and I'm working on my 1st dungeon.

ControlFreak82
001 Admirer

Postby ControlFreak82 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:25 pm

Bad thing is it will take a long time so i will do the comparison branches and the lights and you do the timers

You have to put a big ole light to cover the whole map because you can't change sun color yet
Next version i think you can! Ask mike or mike can post here or whatever! Hopefully it is!

Visit this forum:

Darkvoid
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby Darkvoid » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:42 pm

The new version I read is coming out either this weekend, or the 2 weekends after that. Now, you have to script LOADS because you have to put loads of lights.

And BTW, don't double post :evil: :lol:

ControlFreak82
001 Admirer

Postby ControlFreak82 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:51 pm

Darkvoid wrote:The new version I read is coming out either this weekend, or the 2 weekends after that. Now, you have to script LOADS because you have to put loads of lights.

And BTW, don't double post :evil: :lol:

Actually it will only take me maybe 1 light to do this! And where did you read it is coming out this or next couple weeks!

I might have the scripts today or later tomarrow!

Visit this forum:

Darkvoid
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby Darkvoid » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:12 pm

I read that the new version was coming out on the 'Next Version' topic in General Discussion.
Depending on the map size, you may need multiple lights.

And about the game, a mini demo will be released in a few weeks, or if I'm that fast, A WEEK.

ControlFreak82
001 Admirer

Postby ControlFreak82 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:51 pm

Ok just make one light on your map and copy and paste it good places but do not change the name it'll be a lot easier but how are we going to get all the shades of dark like light light gray light gray gray dark gray dark dark gray black! There is only light gray dark gray and black!

Oh yeah we can make our own color with custom color
Forgot!

Visit this forum:

Gamerdude
001 Support

Postby Gamerdude » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:43 am

If you keep them all the same name, won't it just turn on the original light, not all of them as you propose?

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Zhuge » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:58 am

jake.lutze wrote:Looks good, but a bit bright, but that could just be my tastes, as I prefer a darker game.

Same. It looks more detailed and interesting. Yeah i say make the maps a little more dark, the hud looks awesome.

Darkvoid
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby Darkvoid » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:51 pm

Gamer Dude, if you name them all the same, it will randomly select a light, and always remain that.

The storyline is supposed to be a bit dark at times, so I'll take note of that and try to make it dark :P

ControlFreak82
001 Admirer

Postby ControlFreak82 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:50 am

are you sure it selects a random light and stays that light because with me it will select all the lights together!

Visit this forum:

Darkvoid
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby Darkvoid » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:35 am

Yeah, on mine it selects only the one.

New update on game:
- Made a boss fight, and edited the introduction to add pauses to add effect
- Blocked exits, and made a hidden statistics guy (not very good though so far)

ControlFreak82
001 Admirer

Postby ControlFreak82 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:45 am

I can't do that script! It will make my computer lagg a little and it will freeze because something on my computer right now but i have figured out how to do the rest of the script! If i did it would be an hour (REAL TIME) before it would get a little darker in the game so just use timers!

Visit this forum:

gamez

Postby gamez » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:07 am

you could add in some spells since its medieval like fireball,thunderbolt etc.

ControlFreak82
001 Admirer

Postby ControlFreak82 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:25 am

I don't think magic has been created yet for 001. I apoligize if I am wrong.

Visit this forum:

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:39 am

You can make magic via items for now.

ControlFreak82
001 Admirer

Postby ControlFreak82 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:54 am

Oh, ok! :D

Visit this forum:

Darkvoid
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby Darkvoid » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:05 am

gamez wrote:you could add in some spells since its medieval like fireball,thunderbolt etc.

Already done that :D

I've finally thought of some new ideas for my game, and here they are:

- You are able to change from Warrior, Wizard and Ranger using variables (for a VERY later demo)
- Traps such as spikes, pit holes and arrows (should be for 1st demo)
- Summoning (as promised :P)
- A different death effect

drakez
001 Enthusiast

Re: Oncoming Storm - Darkness Strike (V1.03 Released!!!)

Postby drakez » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:58 am

Isn't it impossible to beat the fire cave boss?

shadow9449
001 Supporter

Postby shadow9449 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:26 pm

I first want to say that I'm really enjoying this game. It's a lot of fun and I've had a lot of good laughs and the puzzles are not frustratingly difficult.

I may have found a glitch. I'm at the point where I need to get into Isotopes. I've been told by the guy in that beach city that I have to speak to the old woman. I go to the old woman's house and examine the bookcase and she says that I'm going to die because she's really a multicreature. The fighting music starts but nothing happens. She just stays as an old woman and you can't kill anyone and there's no creature to fight. I'm assuming that this is how I get into the Isotopes and therefore I'm at a dead end because of what appears to be a glitch.

One other thing that may be a glitch or deliberate. In the cave where you need to get the seals, when you go on the trap area, if it teleports you back to start because you hit a teleport pad, it won't let you go back to the trap area. It says that you've done that part already even though you didn't get to the seal. I had to revert to a save that made me repeat about 25 minutes of playing to get back into the cave.

Lastly, if you read the books in the library, you get all those scripting errors on the bottom left of the screen that we all know to expect from Engine 001 games :)

Once again, thanks for a great game and I hope there's a solution to this so I can continue playing.

Shadow

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:51 am

You might want to test the game a bit to see whether it works. Sometimes there's the occasional glitch.
And from what I've seen, add more map detail and interactivity. Objects in your map would be nice.
"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

Apocalypse I Act I: //////////////////// - 25% Done, Demo v0.3
AVAILABLE: http://www.engine001.com/games/Apocalypse+I+-+Act+I_601.htm
Please play through the full game, or PM me for hints and easter eggs.

The M4 Team Salutes You.

Darkvoid
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby Darkvoid » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:14 pm

drakez wrote:Isn't it impossible to beat the fire cave boss?

It is possible, except it is really difficult. I might lower the difficulty for this boss, as I found he spams too many fireballs.

shadow9449 wrote:I first want to say that I'm really enjoying this game. It's a lot of fun and I've had a lot of good laughs and the puzzles are not frustratingly difficult.

One other thing that may be a glitch or deliberate. In the cave where you need to get the seals, when you go on the trap area, if it teleports you back to start because you hit a teleport pad, it won't let you go back to the trap area. It says that you've done that part already even though you didn't get to the seal. I had to revert to a save that made me repeat about 25 minutes of playing to get back into the cave.

Lastly, if you read the books in the library, you get all those scripting errors on the bottom left of the screen that we all know to expect from Engine 001 games :)

Once again, thanks for a great game and I hope there's a solution to this so I can continue playing.

Shadow

Never noticed that about the Fire Cave, I might need to re-test that. Thanks for all these bug notices.
I knew about the library, except I thought I fixed that. Anyway, it definitely will be fixed for a few weeks time, so don't worry. Also I'm glad you liked Oncoming Storm.

m4nd1ble wrote:You might want to test the game a bit to see whether it works. Sometimes there's the occasional glitch.
And from what I've seen, add more map detail and interactivity. Objects in your map would be nice.

I'm on it. My game has a lot of the buggy stuff. I'm currently adding a TON of stuff right now. Thanks M4 :)

Woah, this topic's been dead for ages! It's been so dead that it still has the V1.03 on it!

Tydome
Distinguished 001 Member

Re: Oncoming Storm - Darkness Strike (V1.06.5 Released!!!)

Postby Tydome » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:13 am

Well just cant wait for the full version Hm Nice Game :)
I have no signature.

Partysofa
001 Support

Postby Partysofa » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:29 am

Can't figure out the riddle where it says something like "My granddaugher is 1 year. How many gandkids do I have? 5, or was is 4?"

Aaargghh it made me crazy.
001 Discord server Image
Twitter Image
Tales of Astya (WIP) Development Blog

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby MIV » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:45 am

PM him if you want to find some stuff relating to the gameplay.
Darkvoid wrote:

It is possible, except it is really difficult. I might lower the difficulty for this boss, as I found he spams too many fireballs.

Alternatively, change his behavioral pattern, or make him spam ONLY when he's about to die.
"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

The M4 Team Salutes You.

Darkvoid
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby Darkvoid » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:25 pm

shadowwarrior wrote:Can't figure out the riddle where it says something like "My granddaugher is 1 year. How many gandkids do I have? 5, or was is 4?"

Aaargghh it made me crazy.

I'll give you a hint: The numbers in the sentence represent numbers in the Error Ratio Code. It says you must guess the last digit. I'll PM you if you don't understand the relationship.

Tydome wrote:Well just cant wait for the full version Hm Nice Game :)

MIV wrote:PM him if you want to find some stuff relating to the gameplay.
Darkvoid wrote:

Alternatively, change his behavioral pattern, or make him spam ONLY when he's about to die.

That's a good idea. It's a bit difficult that you have to avoid him for roughly a minute at the start if you don't already know the 'lava trick.' When he goes to his last streak, he's meant to fire MASSES of fireballs at you, but I'll add some advanced AI in, and then Burnzotyl can spam you as much as he feels like it ;)

shadow9449
001 Supporter

Postby shadow9449 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:34 pm

Finished!

I think I'm the first to complete the demo. Awesome game. I have a lot to say about it but I don't want to give away the secrets. I will say one thing, though: this game is NOT your average game! There are tons of surprises at each point that will keep you playing on and on.

Can't wait for the final version...

SHADOW

Darkvoid
Distinguished 001 Member

Re: Oncoming Storm - Darkness Strike (V1.07 Released!!!)

Postby Darkvoid » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:33 pm

Yup, you are the first to complete. Congrats!

shadow9449 wrote:Finished!
I will say one thing, though: this game is NOT your average game! There are tons of surprises at each point that will keep you playing on and on.

SHADOW

Thanks. I've attempted to make many games before, but they didn't turn out great. Probably why my story is elaborated than my other games.

I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Tell me your favourite bits of the game and what bits you found fun, I'm pretty interested.

shadow9449
001 Supporter

Postby shadow9449 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:35 am

Darkvoid wrote:Tell me your favourite bits of the game and what bits you found fun, I'm pretty interested.

This post will pretty much be a summary of things I've told you in PM but I want to post it for others as well as a bit of a review of the game for people who want to play it. I don't want to be as specific about the surprises because that would really spoil the game so I won't get into detail.

Overall:

What I liked about the game:
-The puzzles are simple enough to keep the game flowing. You don't need to spent a ton of frustration time solving a puzzle. The game takes just a bit of thinking to give challenge to the game without grinding it to a frustrating halt. There was only one thing I had to PM Darkvoid to ask for help because I couldn't figure out.

- The Quest Log is a great idea. It can be helpful to let the player know what's to be done next. Some games can be frustrating when you can't remember what you're supposed to do at what point or if you're finished a task yet. More about this later.

- One area that I'm thoroughly impressed with is the lack of predictability! Every step of the game gives you one surprise after another in ways that I've never seen in any other game. There are many examples but I don't want to spoil the game for people. Things like that make you want to keep playing the game rather than get bored of the same thing over and over and wanting to leave.

What I did not like about the game:
- Too many mazes. You spend a lot of your game-playing time wandering through mazes. Mazes may increase the playing time and make it more interesting but they are not a puzzle or challenge other than pretty much random wandering, and particularly mazes where you can't see the walls which is just random button pushing until you get out.

- I didn't like the area that said "Map Type" with an icon. It didn't add anything and it just obscured certain parts of the screen that you need to see. Especially in those mazes ;)

- I'm not sure how I feel about the fact that the game is very linear. Once you get past a certain point (I think past Burnzotyl's Gate), you basically move from place to place and there are few opportunities or reasons to go back to a place you've been already. I've never seen this type of thing in a game before. Some people may like it, though.

What I would change in the final version:
- would replace some of the mazes with more enemies. I don't mean bosses, either. I mean to scatter some baddies around the terrain so you can level up, get more money and potions from the bodies, exchange different stuff that you find on their bodies for cash and have more assortment of weapons and armour. There isn't much of any of that in the game and I find that a lot of the fun of RPGs is the excitement of building your character and saving up money for better weapons so you can get to parts of the game you couldn't enter before. The bad guys should also become stronger as you get into the game. Perhaps you need to beat out a few rounds of bad guys and acquire more equipment in some parts so you can level up high enough to get to the next section. I think that would be more fun than the mazes.

-How about some ranged weapons? A crossbow might be nice with different types of arrows. Earlier in the game you can have a basic one but perhaps later have a fast-shooting one with fire arrows or something with higher attack points. Of course you'd have to pay up for it!

- As I said, the quest log is a great idea. It should be more detailed and specific to be of any help, though.

- I would recommend that if Zyrak is stronger that you have more summoning power. It would be VERY cool to battle a strong villian with a small "army" of your own. Burnzotyl is useless as a summon. He's only there for a few seconds and he inflicts almost no damage to the stronger bosses who can kill him with one hit. Icilytl is just as useless. In fact, I had a scroll to summon her and I sold it when I realized that she was only hitting for 7 points and then she would disappear. Let them stay on for the duration of the fight or until they die (in which case you can use your magic points to resurrect them) but give them better defence, better attack and then you can make the bosses stronger and it would be a LOT of fun.

Anyone planning to play the game must bear in mind that this is a demo. There are bugs in the game that may make it impossible to finish. I only finished because I'm lucky to get past two parts. I was ready to abort the game as I did in January when I couldn't get into Isotopes because of a bug. Unless you're playing just to check out the gameplay (as opposed to with a goal to finish the demo), I would not recommend playing until these bugs are fixed.

Bugs I found in the game:
- When you meet the knight in the ice cave, you get teleported to the bard forest and can't get out. It's game over. I did this a dozen or so times and luckily the bug didn't trigger. Otherwise I would never have finished.

- In the Bikar Town, when I woke up, the screen was black and there was no display. I could not get the game working again. I transferred my saves to a different computer and thankfully it worked. You didn't experience this but you may want to submit this to the people who develop Engine 001 so they can try to look into why parts don't work on certain computers. I don't know if Engine 001 has documented minimum requirements but the first computer I used should definitely be adequate.

- Some smaller stuff: some of the spells and weapons don't have icons so you get a huge white box on the top right of your screen. Also, there's some scripting error when you're fighting the boss before Centuri Manor. There is some gem you are supposed to get in connection with the Almagest to finish that quest but that doesn't happen, leaving the player wondering if he's missing a step somewhere.

In all, it took me close to 7 1/2 hours to complete this awesome demo.

Thanks for providing a great game and I can't wait for the next release!

SHADOW (no relation to the character in the game ;) )

Darkvoid
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby Darkvoid » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:03 pm

In some places, the game is rather linear (e.g: Continent 2). I made it less linear so that you wouldn't miss out on a lot of sidequests (especially for full version).

- Too many mazes. You spend a lot of your game-playing time wandering through mazes. Mazes may increase the playing time and make it more interesting but they are not a puzzle or challenge other than pretty much random wandering, and particularly mazes where you can't see the walls which is just random button pushing until you get out.

Hmm. I should either remove these mazes, or edit them so that they become a puzzle/challenge.

Unless you're playing just to check out the gameplay (as opposed to with a goal to finish the demo), I would not recommend playing until these bugs are fixed.

The ones that teleport you to random places are unfortunately unfixable for me. The glitches where enemies do not appear properly however aren't errors, they're things wrong with the script. So yeah: PLAY WITH CAUTION.

- Some smaller stuff: some of the spells and weapons don't have icons so you get a huge white box on the top right of your screen. Also, there's some scripting error when you're fighting the boss before Centuri Manor. There is some gem you are supposed to get in connection with the Almagest to finish that quest but that doesn't happen, leaving the player wondering if he's missing a step somewhere.

It was because I didn't test Centauri Manor too much. It was the newest feature to the game, I tested it several times but not all the way through Start -> End.
What makes the Cold Mountain quest more confusing is that the Quest Log doesn't change. In the newer version, I should change the quest log and have something saying that he didn't get the Dark Gem, making sure the player doesn't think he's missing something.

In all, it took me close to 7 1/2 hours to complete this awesome demo.

Thanks for providing a great game and I can't wait for the next release!

No problem. And a note to everyone: Play at your own risk, keeping separate files.

SHADOW (no relation to the character in the game ;) )

Right, thought not lol. That'll be really scary if it was ;)

Tydome
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby Tydome » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:22 am

ah so long i didnt check on this game hows it going?
I have no signature.

Darkvoid
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby Darkvoid » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:38 am

This topic's been dead for a rather long time...

Anyways, progress on the game in going exceptionally well. I'm making tons and tons of weapons (Daggers, Bows, Staffs the lot) to make it like an RPG. If you read my sig, its about 60% done.

Here are some things I'm considering for the next version:

- A lot of sidequests, nearly as much as the actual story itself.
- Over 200 Weapons and counting
- 5-7 hours + storyline, well my playing time anyway :P
- More Map Detail and even more resources
- Less antagonizing dungeons (as Shadow pointed out), replaced with puzzles and the like.

I'm probably as excited as much as you are (if you are at all :P) for the full version and since its my school holidays (for 2 weeks, OH YEAH!) I'll probably be nearly done soon!!!

metomunc
001 Forum Master

Postby metomunc » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:12 pm

I remember playing this a looong time ago. It was really fun, but visually it could have been better. For instance the floating platforms were very squarish and there is almost nothing to show that you are up in the air. Sky tiles in the places where you can't walk would be a good idea.
Who should I really listen to?

Darkvoid
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby Darkvoid » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:48 am

Thanks for the feedback. I've made some maps more detailed and such, and the Sky Platform(s) will be edited, for example I will add curves to the platform so it doesn't look too square-ish. I'm taking in all this feedback and adding to the game.

shadow9449
001 Supporter

Postby shadow9449 » Fri May 15, 2009 2:33 pm

Darkvoid wrote:Thanks for the feedback. I've made some maps more detailed and such, and the Sky Platform(s) will be edited, for example I will add curves to the platform so it doesn't look too square-ish. I'm taking in all this feedback and adding to the game.

I noticed the new version. Is this substantially changed over the last version? I completed the game in February but I'd want to play if it's very different. If it's just some graphics then I'll hold off for now.

SHADOW

Darkvoid
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby Darkvoid » Sat May 16, 2009 8:31 am

It's not the full version just yet, its just a note to say what's coming for the next version. I haven't added a future version, I'm just giving an insight. The full version will come out in July-September, and then you'll know because it will say V2.0. Sorry for the confusion.

shadow9449
001 Supporter

Postby shadow9449 » Sat May 16, 2009 10:30 pm

Darkvoid wrote:It's not the full version just yet, its just a note to say what's coming for the next version. I haven't added a future version, I'm just giving an insight. The full version will come out in July-September, and then you'll know because it will say V2.0. Sorry for the confusion.

Great, thank you.

Darkvoid
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby Darkvoid » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:45 am

This may be a bit of a bump, but I'm now going to put up some screenshots of the full version. These are the screenshots. Enjoy!

The New Shogun Castle.

Mission 7, where you see the King's Ghost.

During Mission 7, in the Green Mage Forest.

MIV
Insane 001 Forum Member

Re: Oncoming Storm - Darkness Strike (3 New Screenshots!)

Postby MIV » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:42 am

Looks a lot better.
And by the way, try to turn up the difficulty of the first few bosses (doing 1 damage isn't much), and tune down the Burnzotyl or whatever it is. One hit of that can kill you, making it theoratically impossible to kill (I've tried, believe me).

The M4 Team Salutes You.

Darkvoid
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby Darkvoid » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:37 pm

MIV wrote:Looks a lot better.
And by the way, try to turn up the difficulty of the first few bosses (doing 1 damage isn't much), and tune down the Burnzotyl or whatever it is. One hit of that can kill you, making it theoratically impossible to kill (I've tried, believe me).

Thanks for the feedback btw.

The first boss is a bit of a pushover, but the Fire Cave boss isn't. It certainly isn't impossible, but I'll bear this in mind to lower the difficulty, so instead of spamming fireballs he will do something different. I'll tweak some areas that need to be improved, but first I'm going to focus on the storyline.

patatoface
001 Forum Master

Postby patatoface » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:28 pm

first bug i noticed was when you get into the credits there is no way to get out other than closing the game or restarting, and secondly in the cave where you have to destroy the blocks how do you get out, i've already hit all the blocks and now all i can do is hit hoses and count feathers :(

metomunc
001 Forum Master

Postby metomunc » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:10 am

You should put those new screenshots on the first post. ;)
Who should I really listen to?

Darkvoid
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby Darkvoid » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:56 am

Wow, I haven't been paying attention to this topic...Probably because I haven't really been working on this game.

patatoface wrote:first bug i noticed was when you get into the credits there is no way to get out other than closing the game or restarting, and secondly in the cave where you have to destroy the blocks how do you get out, i've already hit all the blocks and now all i can do is hit hoses and count feathers :(

The credits when you first open the game?
Yeah, none of those are avaliable in the current version of the game. I'll add them for the full version (when I get round to finishing the game) :D

As for the blocks, is that the Shogun Mines?
I don't remember too much about the game because I haven't been working on it and it's so big to remember everything. If I recall there should be a door in the top left hand corner of the map that you should try to pass through once you've hit all of the blocks.
I'll see what I can do to make this less difficult for the next version.

metomunc wrote:You should put those new screenshots on the first post. ;)

Thanks, I'll do that now :)

Maddex

Postby Maddex » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:16 pm

Hey, can you please tell me what music you used at Snowy Dungeon? :D

TheGodplays

Postby TheGodplays » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:18 am

Nice game looks cool ,but better art could make the game more better :)
the Next-Gen will be Powered by The Triple-S-BrOs

Darkvoid
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby Darkvoid » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:49 pm

Maddex wrote:Hey, can you please tell me what music you used at Snowy Dungeon? :D

It's some custom music that was made for the RPG Maker 2003 engine. It's called "Fairy". I'm also delighted to hear that you've played my game as far as the Ice Cave. :)

TheGodplays wrote:Nice game looks cool ,but better art could make the game more better :)

Thanks for your feedback.
The current version of my game that's on the site currently is about four years old, so it's pretty outdated. For the full version, the art/graphics look so much better and the maps look much more detailed.

---

I haven't actually released any progress reports on my game since last October, where I said I'll release the full version on the 22nd October (which I didn't, and still haven't). In fact, I think this post is a pretty good opportunity to talk about current progress with my game and stuff (if anyone cares, haha).

The reason why the game hasn't been released yet is because it's such a large game, it has literally hundreds of maps and there is so much content in it that I believe it could be the largest game ever made on 001. I don't mean to sound bold or arrogant, but I do think it has the potential to be the largest game on 001. I have been working on it on and off for the past five years, I have been working on it quite a lot recently. The game has evolved so much since the 2009 version - the full version puts great focus on its storyline instead of being a "going from place-to-place" type game. I don't mean it's a linear game (because it's definitely not, although it does have its moments where the player has to continue the story), I just focused on giving the game a developed storyline because I want the player to feel as if they can immerse themselves in a world, and perhaps begin to care for the characters.

The battle system has also been refined and allows you to develop your character in numerous ways. For example, after every enemy you kill, you receive Ability Points, which can be used to learn abilities such as magic, and abilities that increase your HP and Attack. I'm considering introducing something like a "progression tree", like the Sphere Grid from FF10, but it would take too long and it would bore me, so I might consider the possibility for a later version.
Melee and magic (I also plan to do the same for ranged combat) are now all independent from one another, the power of your magic scales with your Magic stat and the power of your close range, physical attacks scales with your Attack stat and your Dexterity stat (which refers to the ability to use your weapons skillfully). With the Dexterity stat introduced, it means you'll be able to deal greater damage with weaker weapons, as I find that many RPGs I've played (take Final Fantasy IX for example) solely rely on attack power as a basis for calculating damage. In respect to general combat, I'm also in the process of integrating "status ailments" such as Poison.
With all these aspects taken into account, it means that you'll be able to bolster your character to be incredibly powerful. To compensate for this, I've made the game a lot harder, and have even made superbosses so you can overpower your characters so much that you'll be able to beat them.

I could be here for an eternity writing all the changes I've made to the game, so I'll summarise the rest of the changes in the form of bullet points. Here are some changes I've made:
- Maps look much better graphically now. All maps have been looked at carefully and have been edited to get rid of that bland, "looks like it's been rushed" look.
- The addition of something called "specialities". While these play no direct influence in the game in the long term, specialities allow you to change your stats based on your preferred method of combat. For example, setting a wizard speciality will bolster your magic and MP stats, as a foundation to work on should you want to become proficient in magic. Of course, setting your speciality does not lock you to a certain combat style, it just gives you a boost.
- I've composed some of my own music, and I think it sounds half-decent (compared to the stuff I used to make! Lol). I've tried to avoid using MIDIs from existing video games as I feel it lacks originality if I overuse music from Final Fantasy.
- New statistics, such as Chemistry, Hunting, Knowledge (replaces Wisdom), Physique, Evasion and Luck. These stats scale with how much you "use" them. The Luck stat is probably one of my favourites, it allows you to inflict critical hits - the higher the Luck, the more likely you are to inflict critical hits.
- The use of waystones. Because the scale of the world has been greatly increased (I've removed the Overworld Map and replaced it with scenic locations and events), I felt that adding teleporters would make transport and travel easier. I've even considered the possibility of waystone levels, and the customisation of waystones (by that, I mean being able to build them wherever you want).
- Lots of sidequests, exploration and backstory.
- Dungeons are less generic now. They contain more puzzles and have "gimmicks" (for the lack of a more positive term). For example, I had some criticisms from the demo pertaining to the fact that the dungeons were repetitive. In the full version I've made them more challenging and less monotonous; for example, the Fire Cave now increases your body temperature if you stay in it too long (which can kill you), and vice versa for the Ice Cave.
- Boss fights and regular enemies are also something I've focused on. Instead of hack-and-slash combat for bosses, I've now made it so the bosses have patterns and are much more aggressive. I've also made use of the Display Log Text event so the player can see what attack the enemy is about to use. One of my favourite boss fights in the game (which I won't spoil) involves the boss using an attack where multiple blades spawn in the area, and the enemy launches towards the blades, collects them, and uses them to charge into the player. I can see it being a very tough boss fight; something that doesn't exist in the current version.
- Sprint feature, with stamina. Need I say more?
- Hundreds of weapons and armour to use.
- The last thing I'm going to reveal (for now) is the use of party members. The original version only involves the main character (Shadow), the full version allows you recruit new members and allows you to switch them out for other members. Adds a new layer to strategy in battle.

I don't know why I typed all of this out, as I'm not sure if people actually care about the game. Ah well.
I might edit this post later and add some screenshots. There's some cool stuff I want to show off.

EDIT: And here are the screenshots. Enjoy.

Shogun Castle after evolution. Compare this to the image on the first page to see the changes.

The Port Town of Amune has even changed. It used to be a town that consisted of a single house and a lazy attempt of a path, now it's a misty, quiet town home to many different types of people. You can also see Shadow is in sprinting mode.

That is one hell of a sword. You'll see this guy just over one third of the way through the game.

A not-so-revealing screenshot of my personal favourite area in the game - The Draje Steppe. I haven't quite finished mapping out this location yet, but I have promising ideas for it.

A stray desert town ravaged by sandstorms. The sandstorms were generated using particle effects.

And finally, a Golem, a creature I drew and animated from scratch. Once I sort out the weapon frames, he'll be ready to challenge. He is a formidable foe indeed, with over 400,000HP and attacks that can do one hit kills.

Return to Games In Progress