Solitary (Facebook Page!)

Tell us about the 001 game you're working on. Show us screenshots. Discuss, promote and share games with others.
Forum rules
If you would like to post about your game, make sure to include screenshots and a long, well-written, thorough description.

Please be positive and understand that not everyone is skilled at using Map001. Games that are similar to other games, or fan games using commercial games' art are perfectly acceptable.

This forum section is dedicated to the discussion of games made with Map001 only.

You must upload your games to above games section of site. Outside links for games are forbidden in this section.
Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Solitary (Facebook Page!)

Postby Tabula Rasa » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:47 am

SOLITARY is an experimental survival horror adventure game, involving the story of a photojournalist named Alex Gray, who is suddenly thrust from the world he knows and into a nightmare, with horrors lurking at every turn, and ghosts from his past return to haunt him in practically every shape.

You will have to use your intellect to solve puzzles, outsmart and outrun the monstrosities that haunt the shadows, and explore the beautifully atmospheric city available to you. Dark powers will pull the strings of your reality and either seek to aid you or destroy you utterly. You will piece together the mystery, not only of the events of Alex's life, but what happened to the world around you as you search every nook and cranny for clues, mementos, tools, and supplies. The game is keeping track of how you play it and the events may play out radically different depending on the choices you make in-game.

The darkness awaits.

Title.png
Title screen.

Screenshot.png

SolitaryDancingSchool.png

SolitaryCamera.png

Music by Kevin Macleod

UPDATE - 9/6/2013

FINALLY! A new demo, Steam Greenlight, and some serious progress in the making.

Solitary is hardly dead, I've been working on some serious progress for the past couple of months. New screenshots, new art, new music, new sounds, and a new demo! I'm also going to be putting this on several other websites, including Steam Greenlight, and ModDB/IndieDB.

The new demo has been released and is available for download on ModDB/IndieDB! I also encourage you to please leave feedback for me on here, and on Greenlight. Also, by finishing the demo, you unlock a game report containing lots of information on how you did in the game; leaving a comment or post containing that information would give me a lot of useful feedback!

I'll be sure to update often with the game's progress from now on! I'm still a long way off though; expect the full release of the game to happen sometime next year. Until then, giving this game a rating on Steam Greenlight and 001 will really help me get feedback and start building a community.

Thank you for all your help, and I wish you all the best!

Update 10/10/2013

Just put up a new facebook page! Link is in my signature!
I really appreciate all of your help and feedback!
Last edited by Tabula Rasa on Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:09 am, edited 8 times in total.

Dunce
001 Forum Master

Re: Solitary

Postby Dunce » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:31 am

Sounds nice, I like the story set up.

coffeennicotine
001 Fanatic

Postby coffeennicotine » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:19 pm

Any headway on this game over the last couple weeks?

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Postby Tabula Rasa » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:44 pm

It's been a while since I've posted an update, I thought about doing it earlier, but I'm not happy with the way the project is currently. A lot of framework has been done, stuff like the phone interface is being perfected.

I'm also sliding back on the one-hit kill idea. I think people would find that incredibly frustrating if they come across some difficult part; going from being scary to making people mad. Also having to fully explore areas, looking for health drops to reach the next part, adds to the tension.

Removing the jump function, mostly because it serves no purpose and it just makes the main character look ADhD. Plus, limiting controls on a character adds to the tension factor.

For the most part, nothing is really done yet with the exception of the opening 5 minutes or so. Still working on artwork stuff, more custom work on this project than I've ever personally put into anything before, so I'm liking how it's turning out.

-- EDIT/BUMP --
Finally, finally, FINALLY, released a demo. Check it out.
Also, I've edited the first post if you want information. :)

Gamerdude
001 Support

Re: Solitary (Demo Released!)

Postby Gamerdude » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:24 pm

Is it possible to finish the demo? I seem to be stuck in the drug store(s). Need the key for the door in the dark world, hoping I didn't miss it somewhere. I can't leave the drugstore. Not sure what the code is for the safe.

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Postby Tabula Rasa » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:23 am

The code is on the sheet of papers on the floor next to the desk in the top-right corner of the map in the 'dark world'.
Hint: If you want to look it up, the three numbers make up the digits of the year the survival horror game 'Alone In The Dark' came out. (The original, not the remake')

Yes, it's totally possible to finish the demo, but you do need the items in the safe.

Unrelated: Also, Solitary has garnered some attention on Youtube;

Gamerdude
001 Support

Postby Gamerdude » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:30 am

Oh dude that's awesome.

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Postby Tabula Rasa » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:34 am

I haven't seen anyone manage to finish the game, though. Perhaps I made it too hard?

Gamerdude
001 Support

Postby Gamerdude » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:55 am

Nah, it's a good difficulty, just that part I got stuck on. I'll have to start again, I think there was an error with loading.

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Postby Tabula Rasa » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:01 am

Did the Load Game option not appear on the main menu again?

Gamerdude
001 Support

Postby Gamerdude » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:26 am

No it did, but it crashed when I went to load my game.

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:09 pm

The latest subscription beta should have that fixed...

Gamerdude
001 Support

Postby Gamerdude » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:13 pm

It could have just been me Alt+Tabbing out a lot. Or it might have been built on an old version (is that how it works?)

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Postby Tabula Rasa » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:36 pm

It's built on beta .13. I'll try tweaking some things and release a new demo with the latest beta.

AnvilHouse
001 Support

Postby AnvilHouse » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:25 pm

Grats on the youtube fans Tabula! Trying out the demo today :D
Image Image Image

https://www.patreon.com/Anvilhouse ...yes...I am on Patreon!

-The store is under construction-
All items are guaranteed to work with 001 ;)

Gamerdude
001 Support

Postby Gamerdude » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:37 pm

It's so weird to see people LPing a 001 game. Nice Majora's Mask reference by the way :P

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Postby Tabula Rasa » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:06 pm

Gamerdude wrote:Nice Majora's Mask reference by the way

Oh, the Chaser monsters? Haha it was the only thing I could find. I wanted a really good enemy design, but since I'm a crap artist, I settled for a masked killer.

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:53 pm

Congrats on getting the rounds by the facecammers. Not a big fan of facecammers but they are the most popular LPers on youtube. Game is awesome BTW. Seems the default control scheme doesn't work for most people though. It might help to put the inventory items on the number keys.

Gamerdude
001 Support

Postby Gamerdude » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:35 pm

Tabula Rasa wrote:
Gamerdude wrote:Nice Majora's Mask reference by the way

Oh, the Chaser monsters? Haha it was the only thing I could find. I wanted a really good enemy design, but since I'm a crap artist, I settled for a masked killer.

Nah, I meant "You've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?" when you die.

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Postby Tabula Rasa » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:40 pm

Hahahaha, yep! I totally forgot about that, one of the first things I did when I started was implementing the death script.

Gamerdude
001 Support

Postby Gamerdude » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:28 pm

I finished it. I chose to surrender in the end though, hopefully didn't miss too much by not firing at the cop. Pretty neat demo.

Just one thing, sometimes stuff didn't appear in your inventory until you cycled equipment with Z/X. So sometimes it would seem I didn't have a fuse etc until I cycled (yet it seems I could only cycle through the camera or flashlight?).

Danny
001 Forum Master

Postby Danny » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:25 pm

Hey can you try something for me? I wish to play your game but as you know i can't due to a missing maths001.dll file. I know this is a big ask but could you try and build your game into a .exe file and send it to me via another means? I want to play your game, and im hoping the Math file will work for me. Your game looks really intense and is something i really wish to try out. Thanks

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Postby Tabula Rasa » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:41 pm

Gamerdude wrote:I finished it. I chose to surrender in the end though, hopefully didn't miss too much by not firing at the cop. Pretty neat demo.

Just one thing, sometimes stuff didn't appear in your inventory until you cycled equipment with Z/X. So sometimes it would seem I didn't have a fuse etc until I cycled (yet it seems I could only cycle through the camera or flashlight?).

You gain access to different parts of the game depending on your choices. Violent, outgoing, or otherwise resistant decisions lead to more intense, scary parts of the game, while more thoughtful and considerate decisions lead to more puzzle-solving areas.

Most likely certain items were hidden at the bottom of the menu, the scrolling rectangle tends to hide the last two items in a list.

Oh, and also, could you let me know what the values were in your Demo Report?

o0 Sniper 0o wrote:Hey can you try something for me? I wish to play your game but as you know i can't due to a missing maths001.dll file. I know this is a big ask but could you try and build your game into a .exe file and send it to me via another means? I want to play your game, and im hoping the Math file will work for me. Your game looks really intense and is something i really wish to try out. Thanks

It's on ModDB. You can find it by searching.

Gamerdude
001 Support

Postby Gamerdude » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:50 pm

Tabula Rasa wrote:Oh, and also, could you let me know what the values were in your Demo Report?

Time was 16 minutes something. It claimed I watched no tapes but I watched 1. It said I saved twice but I didn't save. Annnnnnd I can't remember what the other stat was.

So if I go back and shoot the cop, will the demo be longer?

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Postby Tabula Rasa » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:05 pm

Gamerdude wrote:So if I go back and shoot the cop, will the demo be longer?

Only very slightly.

The other stat was the distance that you walked. Trying to determine how difficult it was and how much time people spent walking around aimlessly, not solving anything or getting anywhere.

Gamerdude
001 Support

Postby Gamerdude » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:06 pm

It was either 40,000 or 4,000.

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Re: Solitary (Demo - 3rd Release)

Postby Tabula Rasa » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:43 pm

Just wanted to post an update - I released version 3 of the demo, mostly aesthetic changes and fixes, so if you haven't played it yet, I would download this version instead.

miroki123
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby miroki123 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:49 pm

I think the game crashed for me, a little bit after the first dude manages to sneak behind and kill me.
I'll try again.

EDIT: Yeah, I walk to the right and meet with the guy. Then I take some pictures of some X's.
The guy then grabs a knife and runs after me, and he vanishes. Then he sneaks behind my back and kills me.
GG internal error crash.

EDIT2: I think it has to do with saving/loading game. Because a save file shows up there for some reason. So I'm thinking it's either trying to load a corrupt file, or trying to save a corrupt file.
If you haven't tried out yet, check out my full game Voyage for Vengeance.
If you did but you're stuck, don't worry, there's a walkthrough available!

For those about to rock, we salute you.

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Postby Tabula Rasa » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:12 am

No, that's not it. It had to do with a map bug that Mike recently fixed. I experienced it, and another user experienced it when playing the 3rd release.

I released a new version on ModDB that fixes the crash (tested it myself); 001 won't let me upload a new version because 1.012 was just released.

In related news, I put up the fourth release of the demo! Yay bug fixes!

Gamerdude
001 Support

Re: Solitary [Demo - Fourth Release!]

Postby Gamerdude » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:19 am

Did you do anything special to advertise your game that allowed the LPers to find it? Or was it just lucky they found it on ModDB?

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Re: Solitary (FIXED!)

Postby Tabula Rasa » Wed May 08, 2013 10:53 pm

Just luck, it seems to be. It's also categorized as 'Horror' and a lot of LPers seem to exclusively gravitate toward horror games.

Maybe when I put it on Steam Greenlight and Desura, it'll garner a lot more attention. But that's a long way away.

Dunce informed me that the demo uploaded to 001 was corrupted and didn't install correctly.
If you were having trouble getting the game to work before, I would encourage you to give the download a second try.

miroki123
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby miroki123 » Mon May 27, 2013 4:20 pm

Yeah I have the same issue as I had before: when the zombie reaches me, there's a scream and I get the crash (something about corrupt file) and then another error File Already Open. I'm the only one who has this problem?

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Postby Tabula Rasa » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:11 am

UPDATE - 9/6/2013

FINALLY! A new demo, Steam Greenlight, and some serious progress in the making.

Solitary is hardly dead, I've been working on some serious progress for the past couple of months. New screenshots, new art, new music, new sounds, and a new demo! No seriously, one that actually works! I'm also going to be putting this on several other websites, including Steam Greenlight, and IndieDB!

The new demo has been released and is available for download on ModDB/IndieDB! I also encourage you to please leave feedback for me on here, and on Greenlight. Also, by finishing the demo, you unlock a game report containing lots of information on how you did in the game; leaving a comment or post containing that information would give me a lot of useful feedback!

I'll be sure to update often with the game's progress from now on! I'm still a long way off though; expect the full release of the game to happen sometime next year. Until then, giving this game a rating on Steam Greenlight and 001 will really help me get feedback and start building a community.

Thank you for all your help, and I wish you all the best!

I have to wait a certain amount of time before 001 will allow me to upload to the site, due to the release of another update. Check back soon and I'll have the demo uploaded. Thanks for your understanding.

Danny
001 Forum Master

Re: Solitary (New Demo Release!)

Postby Danny » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:26 am

Downloaded your game from IndieDb and i must say i am impressed with it so far. Not a huge fan of the 001 assets you used. The games introduction was very well made i enjoyed how you used maps and panning to create a nice "Cutscene" intro. Well Done.

I loved taking pictures with the digital camera and how you actually made it flash with the sound effect, the messaging system for the cell phone was easy to use and understand.

Only thing is the game slowed down a little bit when on huge maps, though in time im sure this will be fixed. Loved the freaky guy chasing you, kind of reminded me Micheal Myers but a faster version, the entire atmosphere felt creepy and scary.

I was trying to rate this game but you disabled ratings. So far im going to give this a 9 cause i know its experimental, i will give it a 10 when i see you start using custom graphics, its only he graphics that put me off.

Not completed the game yet but will most certainly carry on playing, also no bugs or glitches have been found.

Overall brilliant game Tabula!

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Postby Tabula Rasa » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:29 pm

Thank you!

Specifically which graphics turned you off? Sprites? Characters? Animations?

Oh, and IndieDB refuses to allow ratings until the full game has been published, so that won't be for a while yet. :(

The slowdowns are probably due to the weather effects, I could turn down the rain and fog. But none of the maps are terribly large, and that kind of worries me that you're experiencing a framerate drop.

Awesome, thanks for all the feedback! Let me know when you complete it!

Danny
001 Forum Master

Postby Danny » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:35 pm

Specifically which graphics turned you off? Sprites? Characters? Animations?

Mainly the tilesets, the walls, tables, vending machines...the sprites are fine but when i play 001 games everyone uses the same walls, the same tables...you get the idea? Even just modifying and re-texturing the default tilesets would help, this way it would look different and more unique.

Oh, and IndieDB refuses to allow ratings until the full game has been published, so that won't be for a while yet. :(

I was referring to the one on Engine 001.

The slowdowns are probably due to the weather effects, I could turn down the rain and fog. But none of the maps are terribly large, and that kind of worries me that you're experiencing a framerate drop.

Please beware i did play your game on my computer (Desktop) which is very old, so it could just be the fact my Pc is near death anyway. 1.8GHZ, 512MB, thats how bad my Pc is.

Awesome, thanks for all the feedback! Let me know when you complete it!

I will let you know when and if i complete it and update you more.

gerardred
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby gerardred » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:04 am

Nice Work ! :D

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Postby Tabula Rasa » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:52 pm

gerardred wrote:
Post by gerardred » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:04 am

Thank you!

Uploaded the game to the site section, please download it and give it a rating when you get a chance!

AnvilHouse
001 Support

Postby AnvilHouse » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:08 pm

A few issues I noticed in the latest version...

1. Some of the lower object tiles float above the character and have no collision.
-Some of the trash piles "float" over the character
-The red vending machines lack collision and "float" over the character

2. A script error appears once in a while when trying to access the first journal in the bathroom next to the urinals and blood stain.

3. I do not know if it is intentional but the reflection "sync" in the workout studio? is completely off on some of the movements.

4. Had issues with some of the npc zombie characters walking through walls in the Fast Food Restaurant.

5. After you rest on the box in the pharmacy bathroom, I have been unable to continue any further in the game as the main character gets spawned in the wall when leaving the bathroom.

---
I am liking the visual changes you have made since the last version I played and I am glad you switched up the blood stained objects when not in the "dark" state. Keep it up! ;)
Image Image Image

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Postby Tabula Rasa » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:54 pm

AnvilHouse wrote:Some of the trash piles "float" over the character

Which ones? All the ones I'm thinking of are set to be below shadows.

AnvilHouse wrote:The red vending machines lack collision and "float" over the character

They actually don't lack collision, that specific one you're talking about was a hotfix for a bug that occurred when you try and move the vending machine away from the wall and the collision wouldn't update, blocking progress.

AnvilHouse wrote:A script error appears once in a while when trying to access the first journal in the bathroom next to the urinals and blood stain.

Weird. I've tested it many times and haven't come across it. What does it say?

AnvilHouse wrote:I do not know if it is intentional but the reflection "sync" in the workout studio? is completely off on some of the movements.

It is. It will be fixed by the full release, but it's low priority, as it would take a lot of time to fix.

AnvilHouse wrote:Had issues with some of the npc zombie characters walking through walls in the Fast Food Restaurant.

Err... what? Are you referring to this map?

This Map.png

AnvilHouse wrote:After you rest on the box in the pharmacy bathroom, I have been unable to continue any further in the game as the main character gets spawned in the wall when leaving the bathroom.

Thanks for letting me know. I don't know how the event got changed, but it did. Fixed and uploading now.

AnvilHouse wrote:I am glad you switched up the blood stained objects when not in the "dark" state. Keep it up!

That vending machine you're thinking of wasn't stained with blood, it had Mike's Phoenix Avatar on it. Ha, ha, 001 inside joke! Haha, but yeah, I realized not everyone would get it or even see it in the same way, obviously, so I changed it.

Not Me
001 Subscriber

Postby Not Me » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:10 am

Ooo. Gonna have to try this out... tomorrow. Looks neato!

And Danny, kinda funny. The fastest computer in my house has 512Mb ram too (and a slower processor, if I recall correctly). Wonder well how the game will run in an emulator? :razz:
The above image is totally not a link to my website.

AnvilHouse
001 Support

Postby AnvilHouse » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:18 pm

Had issues with some of the npc zombie characters walking through walls in the Fast Food Restaurant.

Err... what? Are you referring to this map?

Yes that is the map, it happened when I was running around the single tile pillar. I am starting to think it was a graphical hickup more than anything as it only happens when you are being attacked.

A few items I found were that had the "float" effect are the note at the base of the desk in the first office room. One of the objects in the left side of the fuse box room, I think the last one I found was in the "dark state" pharmacy...room before you go into the bathroom.

The error message I got was:

Code: Select all
Error: Attempted to check for selected message box choice when no message box had a choice.
  [5]: IF MsgBox.SelectedNumber = 0
  in Custom Event: "Save Point"
  [3]: Custom.Save_Point
  from Map: "C1StartingBathroom" Zone: "1" Trigger: Trigger.Zone.ActionAbove

Vending Machine-

Ah that is what it was :lol:
Image Image Image

New MrGameplay3

Postby New MrGameplay3 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:57 pm

dude your game is very good! Listen, you want help to draw maps? I'm a good mapper, and I'd love to help in your project (just give me a time to re-do some maps and send you the files for you to check, what do you think?!).

Man, this thing is true of the game measure the difficulty according to the steps? hehehe awesome! liked the flashlight (I took off and turned to hear that sound, and ascending)

PS: not notice the flaws of my english OK hehehe :D

Keep the good job Bro'
"Nunca desistirei de meus sonhos para alimentar suas vontadades, e nem me humilharei aos deuses..."
The Moon Soul: Rebirth of Souls (Cooming Soon!)

miroki123
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby miroki123 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:31 pm

Amazing game man! Managed to finish it in one hour.
The system you made is very nice, and so is the environment, gameplay, background music and storyline!

A few minor issues I noticed..

-------SPOILERS BELOW-------

-When you rob the faceless woman, she says you can't get into the door behind her or she'll call the police.
-The very first zombies you meet can go through the coded door. I'm not sure if this is fixeable since I remember this issue in 001 a while ago.
-You may want to add a running hint in the tutorial thing.. I only figured out it was possible to run in the very last minute of the demo. :P

10/10

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Re: Solitary (Facebook Page!)

Postby Tabula Rasa » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:08 am

Thank you very much! I appreciate the feedback! I'll try and address the issues immediately.
I'm currently only about 30% finished with the final product. Still a very long way to go. ^_^

---------------------------------------------
Update 10/10/2013

Just put up a new facebook page! Link is in my signature!
I really appreciate all of your help and feedback!

Danny
001 Forum Master

Postby Danny » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:50 am

Done, i have even double liked with my own page. I will log on my gfs account and like your page to when shes not looking lol

Tabula Rasa
001 Forum Master

Postby Tabula Rasa » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:04 am

Thanks man, I really appreciate it!

gerardred
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby gerardred » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:10 am

I like the Facebook page to ! :)

Danny
001 Forum Master

Postby Danny » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:02 am

You have 3 Likes in total, me, my Joypad Gaming page and my gf's, i can get you a further 3 Likes by logging into 1 of my old Facebook accounts plus logging into the other 2 Facebook accounts my girlfriend as, then you would have 6 new likes in total.

Edit: Liked again with my gfs accounts but for some reason i cant figure out my password for my old Facebook account, will Like when i figure out the password. Also shared via the Joypad Gaming page. If you need any further advertising let me know. Good Luck growing your game :D
Last edited by Danny on Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Automatically merged double post.

Pipo96

Postby Pipo96 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:25 pm

This game takes horror in 001 to the next level! I really enjoyed the demo had to think a lot and mess around until I finished the demo (Finished it in 1 hour)

-Just wondering any deadlines for the full version of the game to come out?

-Just an idea:
I think having voice actors in the game would totally make the gameplay more atmospheric and really show each character's mood and feelings instead of having the "voice" option read the messages

Mike Stephen

Postby Mike Stephen » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:13 pm

Cool game. ;)

Aliengear

Postby Aliengear » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:05 am

Urgh...Perhaps you need to make a gaming guide just like miroki123 with his 'Voyage for Vengeance'.I'm stuck with almost all of the game's part.I don't know what must I do.Huh,I can't believe it was a demo.

Return to Games In Progress