Fatal Error (delayed)

Tell us about the 001 game you're working on. Show us screenshots. Discuss, promote and share games with others.
Forum rules
If you would like to post about your game, make sure to include screenshots and a long, well-written, thorough description.

Please be positive and understand that not everyone is skilled at using Map001. Games that are similar to other games, or fan games using commercial games' art are perfectly acceptable.

This forum section is dedicated to the discussion of games made with Map001 only.

You must upload your games to above games section of site. Outside links for games are forbidden in this section.
Not Me
001 Subscriber

Fatal Error (delayed)

Postby Not Me » Sun May 27, 2012 11:38 pm

I thought it might be a good idea to get some opinions on things, so here it is!

FATAL ERROR

Here's the beef about the game itself:

Story: The game's storyline will rely heavily on the player's actions. Or in other words, almost everything you do can have an impact on the story later on. If you don't do things right, you could end up fighting (and killing) someone you could have befrended. The story will have such significance in the game, that dying in the game ends it, you have to restart from the beginning. (Don't worry, you can always load a save file. ;) )
All I can really say about the story without spoiling it is that you wake up, having lost your memory, and thus must go find it. You soon realize that you're trapped inside a computer, and start trying to find a way out. I've already planned out the backstory, it's pretty deep.

Combat and Controls: You'll use the arrow keys to move, and WASD to fire in each direction. You can press the number keys to use or equip other weapons. Weapons will level up after use, thus making them stronger. You can also find addons for each weapon, giving them different abilities. For example, the bomb normally drops wherever you're standing and blows up, but adding on to it could increase it's range and allow launching it.

I plan to upload a demo once the game is playable. Feel free to ask about anything, although I can't promise I'll answer story-related questions. ;)

Screenies:
Fatal Error Screenie1.PNG
Getting the Bomb

Fatal Error Screenie2.PNG
Shootin' some enemies.
Last edited by Not Me on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The above image is totally not a link to my website.

summak

Re: 64Digits competition game (looking for a name)

Postby summak » Mon May 28, 2012 12:55 am

Loss of Memory? brings back the good ol' days of planescape torment.

Back to your game, a very interesting plot. Getting jacked up inside a computer, who would have thought. As for the name, hmm, how about "Back To Life", not creative I know, but yea, thats what came to my mind first.
Project - The Ascension
Story - 100%
Maps - 15%
Main Character - 99%
Monsters - 10%%
NPC - 20%
Tile Set - using the templates.
Demo Version is out - http://www.engine001.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20711&p=331942#p331942

Some great man once said, "Great people talk about Ideas, Average people talk about things, and small people talk about other people."

Not Me
001 Subscriber

Re: Fatal Error (64Digits competition game)

Postby Not Me » Tue May 29, 2012 3:24 pm

Got a pretty good boss idea a while ago. Just need to find some dubstep...

In case anyone's interested, here's my to-do list for today:

Finish turret enemies.
Finish death script.
Finish bomb weapon.
Add new enemies.
Find dubstep!
Post screenshot(s) and/or spriteshot(s).

Better get to work...

Alright, how 'bout a little end-of-day progress report? I did the following:

Finished turret enemies.
Finished first tileset.
Mostly finished first hub area.
Started first "dungeon".
Finished "bomb" level one (Four to go!).
Thought of a new weapon, a spark emitter.

Not too bad for one day's work, if I do say so myself! :D

I dunno about "Back to Life". I don't think that'll fit the story too well. Not bad, though.
I think I got one just as I was writing this. How about "Fatal Error"? Fits the computer theme, and some parts of the story that I'm not gonna spoil. ;) Whaddaya think?

I think I'm gonna stick with Fatal Error. I'll have some screenies in a while. :D

Screenies here! :razz:
Last edited by Not Me on Tue May 29, 2012 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Automatically merged double post.

summak

Postby summak » Wed May 30, 2012 12:08 am

awaiting for the demo release. and damn, excellent title, FATAL ERROR 8)
Project - The Ascension
Story - 100%
Maps - 15%
Main Character - 99%
Monsters - 10%%
NPC - 20%
Tile Set - using the templates.
Demo Version is out - http://www.engine001.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20711&p=331942#p331942

Some great man once said, "Great people talk about Ideas, Average people talk about things, and small people talk about other people."

Wonderland
001 Forum Master

Postby Wonderland » Wed May 30, 2012 5:44 am

I'm intrigued. This contest shall be good on the 001 side.

DoctorKarnage
001 Fanatic

Postby DoctorKarnage » Wed May 30, 2012 10:14 am

Not Me wrote:

Story: The game's storyline will rely heavily on the player's actions. Or in other words, almost everything you do can have an impact on the story later on. If you don't do things right, you could end up fighting (and killing) someone you could have befrended.

Alright, I'm already interested in this game, I'm a sucker for a storyline changing based on the player's actions. :lol:

Not Me
001 Subscriber

Postby Not Me » Wed May 30, 2012 3:55 pm

Haha, thanks. The demo will have the first four areas, which should be enough to see how the gameplay will work in general.

Wonderland
001 Forum Master

Postby Wonderland » Thu May 31, 2012 5:52 am

DoctorKarnage wrote:
Not Me wrote:

Story: The game's storyline will rely heavily on the player's actions. Or in other words, almost everything you do can have an impact on the story later on. If you don't do things right, you could end up fighting (and killing) someone you could have befrended.

Alright, I'm already interested in this game, I'm a sucker for a storyline changing based on the player's actions. :lol:

Yeah, I prefer that to having no choice at all and being put down a linear corridor. :)

Not Me
001 Subscriber

Postby Not Me » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:14 pm

I took a couple days off to read fanfiction and try out sunvox (which is a pretty good music tool, it runs smokin' fast, too) so now it's time to get back to work! :D
I've got a few possible storylines thought up, two of which involve fighting an antivirus program, although the reasons and methods of doing so are completely different. I need a few more, though... Five just doesn't seem like enough.

Phooey on school, it takes too much time! :x Fourtunately, I get done next week, so I'll have more time to work, hopefully.

I've decided that I'm gonna do something different with combat. Instead of a few different weapons (the regular shot, bombs, and sparks), you'll only have one weapon, which will be limited in ammo and upgradable by certain programs (aka people). This means that combat will have to be done differently, especially boss battles. Hopefully it'll make fighting armies of viruses (or... other things...) more interesting.
I've been working on putting together a world map, and I'd say it's about a quarter of the way finished. Once it's done, I'll post it (without my annotations, of course), and finish putting together my new combat system and begin mapping, hopefully.

Tomeh999
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby Tomeh999 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:20 am

Looking pretty cool.

One question, but this just be my computer or monitor screwing up, but the lighter tiles seem light grey in the picture until I click on it to see it full, in which case it seems a bit yellowish. So my question is, is the tile yellowish or light grey, if it's the yellowish version I see in the full size picture, I recommend making it a little less bright/contrasting with everything else as it kind of bothers my eyes (the contrast and brightness does, not the pattern of the tile). Although, the bothering of my eyes might be due to the fact that I'm sick and my eyes are more sensitive now.

Indiana 266
001 Forum Master

Postby Indiana 266 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:45 am

I'm not seeing any yellow... :-P

Tomeh999
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby Tomeh999 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:53 am

It might be a problem with my monitor then, so don't mind what I said Not Me, and good luck in the competition.

Mr.Numbers
001 Support

Postby Mr.Numbers » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:15 am

I find that your screenshots hurt my eyes a little bit... perhaps decrease the the contrast in the tiles. (look at mock-up screen shot below)
Contrast Edit.png
Contrast Edit.png (8.61 KiB) Viewed 492 times
I AM THE ALL MIGHTY SCRIPTING MASTER
Please do not PM me with Engine 001 related questions, rather post on the forums. ;)

Not Me
001 Subscriber

Postby Not Me » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:19 pm

I think I'll do that, thanks. :razz:

If all goes well, I may have a world map preview by the end of the day. :D
Fatal Error World Map.png

Well, not by the end of the day, but here it is anywho. The white squares are major areas, like towns and stuff. The black lines are where you use a teleporter or the like. As you can see, it's not quite done yet. :razz:

As much as I hate to do this, Fatal Error is being delayed indefinitely. As such, it will not be done in time for the 64digits competition. This is not to say I'm dropping from the competition; I'm not. I'm not cancelling Fatal Error, either. I still have every intention of finishing it, but it will take to too long to be done for the contest. I'm going to focus on something else, instead. Thank you for understanding.
Last edited by Not Me on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Automatically merged double post.

Return to Games In Progress