Emulation, Where do you draw the line?

General discussion relating to everything except 001.
Forum rules
Please do not post questions concerning the 001 software in this forum.
tower07
Ultimate 001 Member

Location: I either live in eastern North Carolina, or I am a very, very lost person.

Emulation, Where do you draw the line?

Postby tower07 » Fri May 04, 2012 11:56 am

I only emulate games that are old, or ones I can't buy myself. (Like japanese Kamen Rider games!)
I just wanted to know what you guys think is alright, and what's going too far.

Adam
001 Forum Master

Re: Emulation, Where do you draw the line?

Postby Adam » Sat May 05, 2012 2:31 am

I use emulators only for the games of my childhood. I have already bought them once :P
Somewhere out there, is a planet with no war, no hunger, no poverty, no killing, and no evil.
It also has no oxygen

Wonderland
001 Forum Master

Postby Wonderland » Sat May 05, 2012 5:33 am

I only emulate when it is pretty much impossible for me to play them another way.

Mr.Numbers
001 Support

Postby Mr.Numbers » Sat May 05, 2012 12:11 pm

Just a heads up, no posting of emulation programs names, or where to get ANYTHING to emulate as it is not allowed here. I don't see why just talking about it could be bad, just don't encourage anyone to emulate ;)

Cause technically if you don't own the game, and the bios used (For psx/ps2/etc.) isnt from your own console, this would be completely illegal :P

Ripping the data from your own CD/ripping the bios from your own system is totally legal though, as you already own and purchased the content.

Anywho, I only emulate old games I own which the CD's are badly scratched or completely un-usable. Or I use my own CD simply for the advantage of game shark :D I can't lie, I HAVE emulated old games which I never owned, or only rented once... Though this is REALLY rare and they are always games which you can't find anymore... I personally don't feel comfortable doing this though... :\
I AM THE ALL MIGHTY SCRIPTING MASTER
Please do not PM me with Engine 001 related questions, rather post on the forums. ;)

Aleff Correa
001 Fanatic

Postby Aleff Correa » Sun May 06, 2012 5:28 pm

Ha, I ripped my SCPH 79010 bios from my PS2, take that Number Man!

Modern videogame emulation will soon be impossible by legal means, since on digital distribution you only buy the license to play the game and not the game itself...

tower07
Ultimate 001 Member

Location: I either live in eastern North Carolina, or I am a very, very lost person.

Postby tower07 » Sun May 06, 2012 6:33 pm

I don't think that will stop anyone though.

Aleff Correa
001 Fanatic

Postby Aleff Correa » Sun May 06, 2012 8:19 pm

tower07 wrote:I don't think that will stop anyone though.

But it is illegal on the point of view of the law, and even game preservation people will have a hard time deciding what is morally correct to preserve through time...

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Mon May 07, 2012 4:29 pm

Aleff Correa wrote:
tower07 wrote:I don't think that will stop anyone though.

But it is illegal on the point of view of the law, and even game preservation people will have a hard time deciding what is morally correct to preserve through time...

That is stupid. If it's out of print then it's out of print. No more money to be made for the publisher or developer. The ONLY exception is the virtual console.

I'll be honest, I just downloaded nullDC and a crapload of dreamcast games. I could go to Video Game Heaven and buy everything I just downloaded for less than $30, but only Video Game Heaven would see that money, not the publisher or developer, or SEGA. So I saved a little money, and saved space in my house. And all that Dreamcast stuff is still at VGH for someone else who wants it probably way more than I do.

Besides, look at Rockstar and Bethesda for example. They give all of their old PC games away for free on their websites. Why? Because they're out of print and there's no more money to be made from them.

Though, something like DS emulators and ROMs are a different story, because they are still in production. I can understand that being illegal, and virtual console games. But there are very few decent games on virtual console as far as I'm concerned. I've already bought the ones I wanted. The rest I shall emulate.

Wonderland
001 Forum Master

Postby Wonderland » Tue May 08, 2012 5:55 am

I kinda agree with you SBG. I don't emulate much though.

2cool4me4
001 Subscriber

Postby 2cool4me4 » Sun May 13, 2012 10:17 am

I have SNES emulators (I own an SNES) and ROMs. I download all my ROMs, because I don't want to hook up some weird ripper thing to my PC anytime soon. I only download ROMs of games I own or hacked ROMs for fun.
Once you have mastered the :usevalue:, you are a truly awesome 001er.

Return to General Discussion