Game requests

General discussion relating to everything except 001.
Forum rules
Please do not post questions concerning the 001 software in this forum.
Deedasmi
001 Forum Master

Game requests

Postby Deedasmi » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:24 pm

Hey all, I've recently had good luck finding a few good games, but I wants moar!!!!

I'm looking for simulation games, recent favorites include Mount & Blade Warband, Dwarf Fortress, and Crusader Kings II. You guys know of any others worth playing? Or if you are looking for more games to add to your own list of "Games I will never have time to play", let us know.

ITB
001 Subscriber

Re: Game requests

Postby ITB » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:28 am

Try Civilization V! :D

Tomeh999
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby Tomeh999 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:01 pm

I ish looking for recommendation.
I'd like a good console game, something non-linear if possible. Maybe an Action-Adventure, or Action-RPG would be good.

Indiana 266
001 Forum Master

Postby Indiana 266 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:53 pm

Kingdoms of Amalour: Reckoning
Dragon's Dogma

Tomeh999
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby Tomeh999 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:01 pm

Thanks, both seem pretty good, Dragon's Dogma seems to have better action, but Kingdoms seems to have better character progression. Which would you recommend?

Indiana 266
001 Forum Master

Postby Indiana 266 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:58 am

I've only played Dragon's Dogma, seen the intro of Kingdoms at a friends.
So I'd obviously recomend DD, it's a quite suitable length, I spent 55 or so hours on my first playthrough not doing everything. :(
And then there is post game after that, which is nice; because before the end boss, combat gets repeditive, in that there's no challenge anymore, hop on cyclopes, swipe, kill, profit! Sort of thing, but after the post game, your little wolves at the begining become hellhounds that kill you in a few hits.
And then there is new game plus.
The things that it got docked on in reviews were: graphics are not amazing, bit of lip synchro failure ect.
The pawn system that makes this unique has some flaws, they talk incessantly, saying things like, I hope we survive the next encounter, be careful not to fall ect, and sometimes useful info on a quest, because you can have two support pawns who are owned by other players, they may have done the quest before, and can help you. They're pretty smart otherwise though. They will search for items and loot chests for you, albeit, I find that if I try and just stand in front of something until they pick it upn they will never do so. :-P
If a pawn should need revived, they will carry him back to you.
Oh, and some people didn't like that it automaticaly does your attributes when you level, no putting points on str or hp.
What you can do with your xp is buy skills.
That's one area that they thought 'fell short'.
All in all, big enemy fights are the best thing about it, I am level 60 and have a weapon that has 900 str, but I have trouble facing Griffons because they always shake me off and drain my stamina and then fly away. :(

Gamerdude
001 Support

Postby Gamerdude » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:31 am

I recommend Prototype, if you haven't played that. It's sort of free-roam in a large city, but I think the main story is pretty linear.

Tomeh999
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby Tomeh999 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:45 am

Dragon's Dogma does seem pretty cool, I might get that next time I'm at EB, but I doubt I'd like Prototype too much as it looks like one of those games where you are billions of times better than all enemies and all they do is send a lot of them at you.

I feel like people shouldn't have a right to complain about Dragon's Dogma lack of attribute points if they like Diablo 3 (which many people do) because that game gives everything to you, attributes and skills, you just choose your equipment.

Graphics, I don't really care about as long as they are good enough for me to tell what is going on and end game stuff always makes things better.

So one last question about Dragon's Dogma...
How is the skill and weapon variety? Will I be able to pick up 2 good swords that will be better than each other in different ways, making me choose between one attribute or another, and will I have enough skills that when it comes to picking my 6 it'll be difficult to choose sometimes?

Edit - Do you need XBox live gold to get pawns from the internet?

Deedasmi
001 Forum Master

Postby Deedasmi » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:46 pm

Borderlands is good, but only if you play with friends.

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Zhuge » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:33 pm

Friendo wrote:Borderlands is good, but only if you play with friends.

For the last 7 or 8 months (haven't been playing it much, aside from splitscreen with my brother), I've been trying to solo secret armory on my second playthrough.

All my rage.

You like RTS games, right? Have you tried Empire Earth, or any of the Civ games?

Indiana 266
001 Forum Master

Postby Indiana 266 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:56 pm

There is a lot of skills, 9 vocations, 6 for pawns (they can't use the mixed classes) and I find that it is hard to choose sometimes, not always, depends on your class, mages have the most skills I should think; there's a few fighter skills that are very similar, one lunges forward with a strike, and the similar one he jumps in the air and lunges forward similarly.

Weapons, there is different weapons for each class, with each having their own advantages and disadvantages, however, sometimes it's just, "go for the one with the most strength or magick" same with armor, oh, except you go for a bit of looks with armor. :-P
And every enemy is either like weak to fire or something, so there's a bit of strategy for fighting stronger enemies.

Tomeh999
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby Tomeh999 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:47 pm

I've beaten Borderlands, but sadly I have nobody to play with, so I haven't played it in a while

Zhuge wrote:You like RTS games, right? Have you tried Empire Earth, or any of the Civ games?

Are you asking me, because I love RTS games. I haven't heard of Empire Earth, and I only tried Civ when I was smaller, so I found it too confusing :P

@Indiana - I saw all the different classes, and I'm thinking of either Assassin or Magick Archer so far. I'm, really considering buying this, but I want to see if I can get a used copy in order to save some money, $60.00 is quite a bit.

Deedasmi
001 Forum Master

Postby Deedasmi » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:02 pm

DD is console only, or I would try it.

Indiana 266
001 Forum Master

Postby Indiana 266 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:41 pm

In any case, I made a topic for it so if you like it, post it there.

And the pawns only for gold, not sure, Capcom provides some so they shouldn't need gold.

Not Me
001 Subscriber

Postby Not Me » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:53 pm

I'd like to find a (preferably free) run-and-gun style platformer. And don't suggest Cave Story, I've already beaten it.
The above image is totally not a link to my website.

RamchuK_Ntertainment
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby RamchuK_Ntertainment » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:09 am

Does anyone know any good PC FPS games from 2004-2007? I mean like besides COD 2 and Battlefield 2. Having integrated graphics sucks so bad. :(
Last edited by RamchuK_Ntertainment on Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Automatically merged double post.
Travesty: 3D Survival - WIP >>> Forum Topic
University of Washington (BABA)
-REGT- Ramchuk Entertainment Games Team
Strategy/Action/Adventure
Copyrighted©2008-2017

Deedasmi
001 Forum Master

Postby Deedasmi » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:23 am

Any Source FPS (Half life, counter strike) a few free FPS aren't bad (War INC, combat arms, various more). Killing floor is fun with friends

haraldx
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby haraldx » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:52 am

RamchuK_Ntertainment wrote:Does anyone know any good PC FPS games from 2004-2007? I mean like besides COD 2 and Battlefield 2. Having integrated graphics sucks so bad. :(

If you like competitive like gameplay, you can always give Unreal Tournament a shot.
Source games (Half-Life 2, Counter-strike Source, Team Fortress 2).
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl. Seriously, it's not as GPU heavy as many people say. You can tone down the graphics to what the game could have been if released in 2004 (Although the game's development started in about 2001 and no features of the engine were cut). I remember even playing the newest S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game (Call of Pripyat) on medium settings with my GeForce 6200 (a video card from 2004)

Return to General Discussion