Layers Tutorial

Have any questions or problems in making your game, subscribing and/or using our software? Post here.
Forum rules
Make sure you are using the newest version. This can be downloaded at the top of the site via the "downloads" link.

Use a very good subject. "Problem" or "Help" are unacceptable titles.

Use the search feature before posting a question, as the answer is probably already here.

Subscript out of range error 9: This is a generic error, and we'll need way more information than that to figure out the problem. If you get this, strongly consider following the instructions of submitting your project through the Submit Bug feature within the editor.
djeby
001 Enthusiast

Layers Tutorial

Postby djeby » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:29 am

Can someone point me to a complete guide about using layers? I can`t seem to work with them. It is pretty confusing. I am using 45 degrees angle for my camera view and it is confusing. Can someone make a video tutorial maybe to help me out? I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
Legend of Miro - A 2D Storytelling RPG

RamchuK_Ntertainment
Ultimate 001 Member

Re: Layers Tutorial

Postby RamchuK_Ntertainment » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:01 pm

I'm not entirely sure if there is a proper tutorial regarding layers, but they are not as confusing as they seem, it's a matter of understanding what they represent. Think of layers as a stack of papers, each layer being a single sheet of paper somewhere in the stack. Layer 0 would be the very bottom of the stack and the layers increase as you go up. In GG Maker, this translates to the Z-coordinates of layers. Layer 0 has a Z-coordinate of 0 and each layer is an increment of 32. (Multiply the layer value by 32 to get the proper Z-coordinate for any layer). Knowing this, you should clearly see the 3D aspect of layers, they allow you to place objects at different heights. In most cases where you are not dealing with 3D, layers will not be of primitive importance, however, it's always nice to know what they are for.

In applicative cases, consider walls. A wall with a height of one or 32 pixels will have a roof tile if selected. This roof tile, given that the wall is placed on Layer 0, would be on Layer 1. If we multiply this by 32, we can see that the roof is 32 pixels above the ground. Switching to Layer 1, can also allow us to draw custom roofs on top of walls using ground tiles at that layer. In other instances, if you have a wall and wish to have an object on top, or just about anything that you want the player to 'walk under', you can draw objects at layers above the player layer.

Hope this helps to clear some of your confusion.

P.S: To quickly change layers, press and hold L-Ctrl while using the mouse wheel. Mouse Wheel Up = Layer + 1 Mouse Wheel Down = Layer - 1
Travesty: 3D Survival - WIP >>> Forum Topic
University of Washington (BABA)
-REGT- Ramchuk Entertainment Games Team
Strategy/Action/Adventure
Copyrighted©2008-2017

djeby
001 Enthusiast

Postby djeby » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:24 pm

Thanks, but the thing confusing me is using them with the GGMaker interface. I do not know how to create a new floor for example on an upper layer. For example i want to make a building with a platform in it, on an upper layer, that can be accessed by using stairs. How can i make that platform, and how can i make the stairs so the character walks up the stairs.

That is what i found confusing.

The visualize layers make me confused like hell.

If you could explain how to make the example above, i would be really grateful.

Thanks in advance,
Vlad

gerardred
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby gerardred » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:47 am

What camera perspective are you using ?

djeby
001 Enthusiast

Postby djeby » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:16 am

45 degrees.

gerardred
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby gerardred » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:05 am

As far as my knowledge go, I don't think that's possible to do in 45 degrees. You might as well try experimenting it in 3D perspective (assuming you bought GG maker). Please correct me if I'm wrong. :)

djeby
001 Enthusiast

Postby djeby » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:47 am

Yes, i bought GGMaker, but my game is already in development in 45 degree camera view.

Return to Technical Support Questions