George's Music

General discussion relating to everything except 001.
Forum rules
Please do not post questions concerning the 001 software in this forum.
aldenorai
001 Admirer

George's Music

Postby aldenorai » Tue May 03, 2011 10:23 am

lol I saw that quite a bit of other people shared their music on here, so I guess why shouldn't I?

I'm actually a college student (Business Major) while working full-time, but I've been a musician my whole life and a composer for over 15 years. I plan to actually establish an animation studio and produce animated films once I've completed my education. Nevertheless, music's still very thick in my blood.

I've composed for a number of independent short films and games, and a couple stage productions. I have scored only one feature-length independent film so far ("The Hero of Time" by BMB Finishes). I also make some rock music on the side as a little hobby, of which I've done about 8 rock EPs thus far since 2004.

I compose all in a digital MIDI setting within Steinberg's Nuendo 4. Even in my rock works, not a single instrument is real, though I do mix/EQ to make them sound as real as possible. I also do not use loops or arpeggiators; I insist on making everything myself from guitar parts to drum parts. Besides which, it's more fun that way! =)

Here is the URL to my website:
http://www.georgerpowell.com

In the "Music Gallery" you'll find a list of some of my works over the past several years. I even recently added the "Rendition/Cover Works" section because I've found it quite fun to take songs/pieces I've heard and enjoyed and remake them the way I would like to hear them. My most recent one is my 1980's synth-rock cover of Foo Fighters' "Times Like These".

lol I know I sound like an arrogant self-promoter, but I'm really not. I'm just proud of my work. Anyway, have a listen if you feel the need to.
- George R. Powell
Music Composer | Screenwriter | Voice Actor

Scaveleon
001 Translator

Re: George's Music

Postby Scaveleon » Tue May 03, 2011 3:43 pm

I listened to the alternative rock piece, "When All is Stripped Away." I wondered, are you the singer? If not, did you record it? I mean, the singing is damn fine quality, I wonder how much such a microphone would cost.
MIV wrote:It's definitely not The Epic Game of Loladin as the screenshot said.
Nor is it The Epic Game of Loladin Happy Face.

SoundCloud
Project blog

aldenorai
001 Admirer

Postby aldenorai » Tue May 03, 2011 4:59 pm

I do all of my own vocals (with the exception of a few where I credited Raegan Quinn, an old friend of mine who was an opera singer in Scotland before she moved to the US.

The microphone I used after 2008 is an $80 Studio Condenser mic that I picked up at Best Buy. It gives superb quality for something as cheap as it is. It's the Samson CO1U model, if you want to google it.
- George R. Powell

Scaveleon
001 Translator

Postby Scaveleon » Wed May 04, 2011 8:55 am

I looked up the microphone it and sounds like an excellent deal. Most recommend something at least over 200 bucks worth.
MIV wrote:It's definitely not The Epic Game of Loladin as the screenshot said.
Nor is it The Epic Game of Loladin Happy Face.

SoundCloud
Project blog

aldenorai
001 Admirer

Postby aldenorai » Fri May 06, 2011 9:24 pm

Well, one thing you'd want to keep in mind when doing vocals is to do compression on them. With good compression and the proper EQ, an $80 mic can go quite far.
- George R. Powell

Return to General Discussion