Custom Ai Walking?

Have any questions or problems in making your game, subscribing and/or using our software? Post here.
Forum rules
Make sure you are using the newest version. This can be downloaded at the top of the site via the "downloads" link.

Use a very good subject. "Problem" or "Help" are unacceptable titles.

Use the search feature before posting a question, as the answer is probably already here.

Subscript out of range error 9: This is a generic error, and we'll need way more information than that to figure out the problem. If you get this, strongly consider following the instructions of submitting your project through the Submit Bug feature within the editor.
Danny
001 Forum Master

Custom Ai Walking?

Postby Danny » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:06 pm

So am running into some issues. I have been working on a project for some time now but i can't understand how to script a custom Ai walking feature. I want the Ai to walk to the player at all times but i dont want to use the default GGMaker Ai because it doesnt seem real. The default Ai walk from grid block to grid block so it all looks off when trying to follow the player, i want to create a walking feature that will not do grid to grid walking. I hope someone understands what i mean.

How would i make authentic walking for Ai? Thanks.

Bump
Last edited by Lee on Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:48 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Please don't spam titles.

thebluejester
001 Enthusiast

Re: Custom Ai Walking?

Postby thebluejester » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:05 am

I'm not certain what you mean grid block to grid block?
Would you like to disable diagonal movements when an AI is following? This can be done with the latest version of 001 / GG maker.
Do you want them to lag behind a little rather than being always 1 step behind the player?

Danny
001 Forum Master

Postby Danny » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:29 am

thebluejester wrote:I'm not certain what you mean grid block to grid block?
Would you like to disable diagonal movements when an AI is following? This can be done with the latest version of 001 / GG maker.
Do you want them to lag behind a little rather than being always 1 step behind the player?

No i don't want them to stop diagonal movements. I want them to stop walking like their walking on a grid. I want them to adjust their position correctly, everything just looks off, they tend to walk like their using the 32x32 grids as some kind of reference. I want them to walk more freely, more normal and no i do not want lag.

BUMP

BUMP - 1 WEEK LATER...
Last edited by Danny on Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Automatically merged double post.

RamchuK_Ntertainment
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby RamchuK_Ntertainment » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:39 pm

I apologize that your question has not been answered by anyone for so long, but it is likely due to the nature of the request. Path-finding in GG Maker has always been based on the A* Algorithm, to the best of my knowledge, and it's quite the most appropriate algorithm out there, especially for general purposes. A* works with arrays of data and is therefore literally based on a grid/tile system. Unfortunately, there is little you'd be able to do to change this system or even create your own, as you wouldn't be able to create a "better" path-finding algorithm that is more dynamic and effective/efficient. With this being said, it may be possible to tweak the default system by incorporating some push/slide events as necessary, but this is very limited. The current path-finding method will have to stay until Mike decides to implement more complex object path-finding methods, such that will reflect in varied responsive behavior for entities in the game world. I sense this possibility is much more probable than not.
Travesty: 3D Survival - WIP >>> Forum Topic
University of Washington (BABA)
-REGT- Ramchuk Entertainment Games Team
Strategy/Action/Adventure
Copyrighted©2008-2017

Danny
001 Forum Master

Postby Danny » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:53 pm

What i was mainly looking for was to make the Ai actor walk towards the player directly ignoring grids. Like if i moved my character it would face and move directly towards him by walking over the grids lines so to speak, like not pay attention to the grid. Hard to explain.

As for making something with the push and slide events i would presume that would then mess up the actors "Poses" for walking etc? Then again creating custom poses would help with that. Seems to much hard work though.

Umm. I guess i could just leave it be.

Thank you Ramchuk for trying to help out but seems to advanced for me. (The push/slide setup)

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:35 pm

Actually this is pretty simple lol. Assuming you don't mind dumb AI running into any objects that may be in it's path between it and the player, which could be prevented with a little more in depth scripting I'm sure, you could just use a While timer trigger set to a fast speed in the actor that activates when the player is within a certain distance. The script would be something like have the actor face the player, change acceleration to 1(NO X/Y MOVEMENT!). This should be all you need really.

I'm sure there's a way to check for objects that may be between the AI and the player that you could also put in the script to prevent AI running into things, but off the top of my head I'm not sure how to accomplish that.

I must have read your question wrong when I first viewed this topic, or was busy.

Return to Technical Support Questions