ReBootCamp 001

General discussion relating to everything except 001.
Forum rules
Please do not post questions concerning the 001 software in this forum.
nemonix
001 Supporter

ReBootCamp 001

Postby nemonix » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:31 pm

the content has been removed temporarily

(later i contact mike and the veterans via pm)
Last edited by nemonix on Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:28 pm, edited 38 times in total.
i guess its a typo will fix it asap

Lee
001 Support

Re: ReBootCamp 001 - Roadmap - (start here)

Postby Lee » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:03 am

I've got to admire your passion for 001 but most of what you suggested isn't new to the community:

Web Design - Mike and other users alike are more than aware that the web site could do with a little re-designing. A new web site was or has been in the works for several months, though I'm not sure whether or not that's still going forward or not.

The User - 001 used to have a serious problem with lacking documentation but I wouldn't say that's the case any more. Wiki001 had a huge overhaul a while back and is continually updated when new features/changes are made to 001. The Wiki is also included in the engine itself as an offline user manual. The built-in tutorials cover all of the basics and there are a ton more available on the web site that the community have written - that have also appropriately been rated so it's easy to see which tutorials are worth your time and which aren't.

Contest - 001 had a pretty successful contest back in the day. The problem with contests is that there needs to be a prize worthy of winning (for most people that's usually cash). You won't find any participants for contests where the prize is "respect" from the community :P.

The Game - This is something that's been tossed around from as long as I can remember and such projects have popped up and dropped off several times. It sounds like a great idea (in theory) but the reality is something quite different. Involving an entire community into a games development can become very sluggish and often falls upon a few dedicated users to do the bulk of the work - which then eventually doesn't get finished. Like I said, it's nothing new - it's been attempted several times and has always failed spectacularly.

Mike isn't the only one who needs food in his belly. A lot of us veterans, who have been around the longest and have the most experience with 001, are all adults that have to find work to pay for food/bills as well. Unfortunately this often means we don't have the time to work on things for 001 (even if we really want to). Mike has also put huge amounts of funding into this project throughout all the years it's been in development and sadly 001 hasn't paid out nearly enough to sustain itself. It's all well and good to say "we need to fix this or change that" but Mike is the only programmer on the team and is solely responsible for the majority of 001. Additional help comes from a few volunteers (mostly veterans) but again, they're not always readily available to work due to having to seek out other work to pay for food/bills. Mike doesn't have the money to hire additional staff and 001 is just too old to overhaul completely. It's an engine based upon years and years of coding experience. When Mike started this project he was barely the programmer he is today. With all these layers upon layers of code from different points in time, getting it all to co-operate with one another is hard enough - let alone expanding it with additional features (that he still does at a remarkable rate for a single person).

What 001 needs (and has always needed) are games - finished games that show off what the engine is capable of doing. Games that have some kind of success to bring in a crowd. Such games are potentially in the works by many veterans and other users alike but only time will tell if these games become successful and/or are actually completed. The problem with game design is it takes a long time and when it's only a side project it can take even longer. Perhaps that successful game could come from you. You certainly have the drive and passion for it :).
Lee - 001 Community Manager

gerardred
Ultimate 001 Member

Re: ReBootCamp 001 - The Game

Postby gerardred » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:19 pm

Nice idea ! :D but we really need other member to join the project if it about to start. What will the game like ? :)

AnvilHouse
001 Support

Postby AnvilHouse » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:20 pm

Lee wrote:
Mike isn't the only one who needs food in his belly. A lot of us veterans, who have been around the longest and have the most experience with 001, are all adults that have to find work to pay for food/bills as well. Unfortunately this often means we don't have the time to work on things for 001 (even if we really want to). Mike has also put huge amounts of funding into this project throughout all the years it's been in development and sadly 001 hasn't paid out nearly enough to sustain itself. It's all well and good to say "we need to fix this or change that" but Mike is the only programmer on the team and is solely responsible for the majority of 001. Additional help comes from a few volunteers (mostly veterans) but again, they're not always readily available to work due to having to seek out other work to pay for food/bills. Mike doesn't have the money to hire additional staff and 001 is just too old to overhaul completely. It's an engine based upon years and years of coding experience. When Mike started this project he was barely the programmer he is today. With all these layers upon layers of code from different points in time, getting it all to co-operate with one another is hard enough - let alone expanding it with additional features (that he still does at a remarkable rate for a single person).

I can majorly attest to this, granted Im only going into the 2 year mark of being in the community. There has been many a day since I joined on where Mike and myself has spent literally days (10AM-3AM+ some of those days) just trying get certain features working correctly...and that is before all of the additional bugs when things become more stable. All during this time I am a single father working on average 3 or more side jobs (granted its freelance or some of the odd jobs I can pick up)

I have noticed over these two years people keep trying to jump on the band wagon of the countless lists of improvements that can be made, but really don't know exactly the time and effort that has to go into what they are saying.

No offense to you, just figured Id voice my minor discontent. Id also like to say kudos to Lee on the Wiki text and composition...I tried my hand at it but it looked like an incoherent mess :lol:
Image Image Image

https://www.patreon.com/Anvilhouse ...yes...I am on Patreon!

-The store is under construction-
All items are guaranteed to work with 001 ;)

nemonix
001 Supporter

Postby nemonix » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:41 pm

Lee wrote:Mike and other users alike are more than aware that the web site could do with a little re-designing.

yeah so just lets do it
its not that hard

Lee wrote:A new web site was or has been in the works for several months
I'm not sure whether or not that's still going forward or not.

if there is a Team then I love to join

Lee wrote:001 used to have a serious problem with lacking documentation but I wouldn't say that's the case any more.

When I'm talking about tutorials then I mean the ui
Like can we make it easier for new user to find all the hidden stuff in the UI
I get into that later (as i got some ideas)
There are nice tutorials ^^
I just suggest its no critic at all

Lee wrote:The problem with contests is that there needs to be a prize worthy of winning (for most people that's usually cash).

Could be also a Community feature like a 001 mailadress
If we setup a server we just can generate prices by features of the webpage the user has access to

Lee wrote:You won't find any participants for contests where the prize is "respect" from the community :P.

Ha Ha
I get it that's true
And was more a joke

Lee wrote:The Game - This is something that's been tossed around from as long as I can remember and such projects have popped up and dropped off several times.

I think about it before
But this concept is based on the process
of making a game
But more in the section "The Game"

Lee wrote:Unfortunately this often means we don't have the time to work on things for 001

Its just like that with nice Projects.
I see it many times

Lee wrote:Mike has also put huge amounts of funding into this project throughout all the years it's been in development and sadly 001 hasn't paid out nearly enough to sustain itself.

I know
But it still can payout one day

Lee wrote: It's all well and good to say "we need to fix this or change that"

I would like to help fixing this or fixing that
I got some helpful experience

Lee wrote:but Mike is the only programmer on the team

I'm a coder
So may I can help there one day in some points too

Lee wrote:and 001 is just too old

Its more a case of features
If its getting mobile ready nobody will call it old
It's in development

Lee wrote: It's an engine based upon years and years of coding experience.

That's why I love it

Lee wrote:When Mike started this project he was barely the programmer he is today.

I always respect effort like this

Lee wrote:With all these layers upon layers of code from different points in time,
getting it all to co-operate with one another is hard enough

I whould suggest uncluttering it by making it modular

Lee wrote:let alone expanding it with additional features (that he still does at a remarkable rate for a single person).

As I say a pluggin-api can help there a lot
So other coders can create/add features
Without needing to look into mikes sourcecode

Lee wrote:Perhaps that successful game could come from you.
You certainly have the drive and passion for it :).

THX for trying to inspire me for gamedesign
One day You will see a nice game from me too

Aye
Nemo
Last edited by nemonix on Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Zhuge » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:37 am

Merged all of the related threads into this one. Let's keep this idea in one topic please.

nemonix
001 Supporter

Old

Postby nemonix » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:59 am

Please Remove
Last edited by nemonix on Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wonderland
001 Forum Master

Postby Wonderland » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:58 am

Also, please don't double-post. ;)

gerardred
Ultimate 001 Member

Re: ReBootCamp 001

Postby gerardred » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:12 pm

Btw about the game, I also vote for the openworld RPG game. But, the concept must be very unique as an openworld RPG game is very common. I will suggest that the game must have a good plot, mechanics and custom, suitable graphic. :D

Return to General Discussion