Moving lights performance

Have any questions or problems in making your game, subscribing and/or using our software? Post here.
Forum rules
Make sure you are using the newest version. This can be downloaded at the top of the site via the "downloads" link.

Use a very good subject. "Problem" or "Help" are unacceptable titles.

Use the search feature before posting a question, as the answer is probably already here.

Subscript out of range error 9: This is a generic error, and we'll need way more information than that to figure out the problem. If you get this, strongly consider following the instructions of submitting your project through the Submit Bug feature within the editor.
vlastan
001 Subscriber

Moving lights performance

Postby vlastan » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:34 am

Hi! Are there going to be further optimization to the lighting system?
Using moving lights right now is pretty much out of the question because the performances are terribile. It's a shame because i'd really like to use some lighting effects for my investigative/horror game :(
Another thing i noticed is that moving a light in the map editor (without grid snapping) doesn't create lag, it's only ingame when the position light script becomes heavy on performance.

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Re: Moving lights performance

Postby Mike » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:39 pm

Have you tried checking "Ignore Obstacles (faster performance)" on the lights to see if that helps?

vlastan
001 Subscriber

Postby vlastan » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:41 pm

Mike wrote:Have you tried checking "Ignore Obstacles (faster performance)" on the lights to see if that helps?

Yes, but it doesn't help.

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:57 pm

If you can send a bug report in that demonstrates this issue, I can see what's going on. It doesn't make sense if that checkbox is checked, as that should give you that editor-like performance. Just make sure you are in fact using the new lighting system and not the legacy one (accessible via Advanced Options).

vlastan
001 Subscriber

Postby vlastan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:16 am

Mike wrote:If you can send a bug report in that demonstrates this issue, I can see what's going on. It doesn't make sense if that checkbox is checked, as that should give you that editor-like performance. Just make sure you are in fact using the new lighting system and not the legacy one (accessible via Advanced Options).

Ok, after some testing i noticed that for good performances i need to have all the lights in the scene with the "ignore obstacles" mode on (even the static ones).
What is the purpose of the default behaviour of lights ? What is the good in having the option disabled by default ?
Maybe the ignore obstacles function should be always active.

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:11 am

Phew. That's what I figured.

They do not get properly enclosed by walls, so the visual effect isn't desirable for most games. Proper placement of lights and using that checkbox will ensure you get the best performance.

For other tips, check out http://engine001.com/wiki/performance

vlastan
001 Subscriber

Postby vlastan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:44 am

Mike wrote:Phew. That's what I figured.

They do not get properly enclosed by walls, so the visual effect isn't desirable for most games. Proper placement of lights and using that checkbox will ensure you get the best performance.

For other tips, check out http://engine001.com/wiki/performance

Hi! Here's what i have now working, and you can see the effect is quite nice :D
Anyway there is still a problem when deactivating the light. You can see it at the end of the video here:

The problem persists even if deactivate the light trough the debug tool.

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:51 pm

Can you create a test project that shows this in a simple map?

vlastan
001 Subscriber

Postby vlastan » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:10 am

Mike wrote:Can you create a test project that shows this in a simple map?

Well, i created the test project but i can't submit the bug, i get the "runtime error 52 bad file name or number" error

vlastan wrote:
Mike wrote:Can you create a test project that shows this in a simple map?

Well, i created the test project but i can't submit the bug, i get the "runtime error 52 bad file name or number" error

Here's the project folder i uploaded on wetransfer
https://wetransfer.com/downloads/7700769f65c916e8f73c58e51d55af0c20180122091554/665917cee096067aed247b864c99188320180122091554/57c412
Last edited by vlastan on Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Automatically merged double post.

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:14 am

Could you tell me what to do with this project?

vlastan
001 Subscriber

Postby vlastan » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:20 am

Mike wrote:Could you tell me what to do with this project?

Space or MouseWheel click activate the flashlight.
If you move a bit and deactivate the light you can see that it doesn't deactivate correctly.

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:59 pm

Ahh, it's an edge case issue that's now been resolved. You'll notice this will happen less in enclosed areas. Fixed for next version :) ! Thanks for reporting!

vlastan
001 Subscriber

Postby vlastan » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:10 pm

Mike wrote:Ahh, it's an edge case issue that's now been resolved. You'll notice this will happen less in enclosed areas. Fixed for next version :) ! Thanks for reporting!

Awesome!

Mage42

Postby Mage42 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:07 pm

I get this exact same issue (The light not deactivating) i asked over on discord if this was a bug or something i was doing wrong, no one replied. That was about 2-3 weeks ago. But i do have the project still showing this issue, if that helps?

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:30 pm

We haven't updated the software yet.

vlastan
001 Subscriber

Postby vlastan » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:22 am

Unfortunately with the new 001 update the light deactivation bug got fixed, but the performances are worse again :(
Edit: Unticking "Expand Light scans for oversized graphics" fixes it now. Hope it's nothing too important.

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:55 am

Yeah, if your game can handle it, definitely check that off. It only affects extremely large sprites/tiles.

But like I said, if it's fast in the editor, it can be fast in-game as long as EVERY light ignores obstacles. This might be a problem for dynamically created lights that do not allow you to check this option.

Return to Technical Support Questions