Shmallow (Very In Progress)

Tell us about the 001 game you're working on. Show us screenshots. Discuss, promote and share games with others.
Forum rules
If you would like to post about your game, make sure to include screenshots and a long, well-written, thorough description.

Please be positive and understand that not everyone is skilled at using Map001. Games that are similar to other games, or fan games using commercial games' art are perfectly acceptable.

This forum section is dedicated to the discussion of games made with Map001 only.

You must upload your games to above games section of site. Outside links for games are forbidden in this section.
Fireleaf
Ultimate 001 Member

Shmallow (Very In Progress)

Postby Fireleaf » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:23 am

I liked working on Shmalloween so much that I decided to make a full-blown game of it. Metomunc has been collaborating on the musical score every now and then and we both really like what we've got so far. Also Meto will likely be helping out with the graphics on this one (note the fine fine balloon below).

Cache Picture.png

Shmallow World.png

Shmallow World.png

A taste of the new music can be found by clicking this:
Cache Picture.png
(Located under my avatar)
Cache Picture.png (857 Bytes) Viewed 2120 times

STORY:
The hero is Shmallow; a little man made of marsh mellows. The quest is to fill his qouta of marsh mellows. There are lots of mini-stories that unfold throughout the game and one big one to carry you all the way through. It's pretty basic, but fun just the same. You'll meet some new characters and see some new places beyond the vast Woodzas.

GAMEPLAY:
Fighting
Just like Shmalloween with a bit more. You use 3 basic moves to repel and destroy your foes:
Basic Attack
Spin-Dodge
Epic Shield

(There are also some new "upgradish" moves that you'll be able to learn as the story progresses)
Puzzling
Puzzles and figuring things out will take a much larger role in this game than Shmalloween. Expect to learn new things, make choices, and make discoveries rather than mindlessly bashing switches to open gates.
Guzzling
You have to fill your quota of marshmellows as always, but you may discover other edibles here and there.
Like MINTS (the first and probably only healing item in the game).

THE CHARACTERS:
Shmallow
Shashi (Shmallow's princess girlfriend)
Womba (One of Shmallow's "friendish chaps")
Deenigan (a distant relative of Weenigan who is equally sinister)
Jack Swordcurtain (mysterious antagonist)
and many many more.

If you want to be a part of the developement of this game go to:
Gameplay, Design, Characters, and Plot Ideas
> "Rename Shmallow"
Last edited by Fireleaf on Wed May 08, 2013 12:41 am, edited 6 times in total.
Hey, I compose custom music for games (for free). PM me about it.

Tales of Northeta:
http://www.engine001.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22467&p=349875#p349875

Sunbreak City:
http://www.engine001.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21483

Shmallow World (tentative progress)
Shmalloween (2010)
Attack-or-Treat
Gongo Warrior

Stephen Chapman
001 Forum Master

Re: Adventures of Shmallow (Full Game)

Postby Stephen Chapman » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:54 am

Sweetness. Can I make one suggestion? That you include more skill than just walking around and killing baddies? Would make the game epic.

Fireleaf
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Fireleaf » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:40 am

Stephen Chapman wrote:Sweetness. Can I make one suggestion? That you include more skill than just walking around and killing baddies? Would make the game epic.

What's the fun in that? The fighting will remain the same although I will say that there will be new moves and more versatile enemies that do more than run straight for you. All the bad guys for Shmalloween were made very quickly and were only meant for halloween. Also puzzles will be a much bigger part of gameplay (more stuff than just opening gates anyway). So in a way it's the same as the first one, but be ready for some curve balls every now and then.

Tales of Northeta:

Sunbreak City:

Shmalloween (2010)
Attack-or-Treat
Gongo Warrior

Stephen Chapman
001 Forum Master

Postby Stephen Chapman » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:01 am

Good good. Looking forward to it.

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:44 am

I think the game was of perfect length for the features it had. To make the game enjoyable past what you've done so far, you'll definitely need to add things to expand what the user can do - I think this is what Stephen was trying to get across. I was very excited to see this game get expanded, even rushed to MSN to tell Stephen. But I really think you should find a way to make the gameplay more interesting, because by the time I got to the end, I was glad they were done as it was getting tedious to look for all of them.

I realize the game is a treasure-hunt type of game, but it would be wonderful if there's more to it for the full game.

Stephen Chapman
001 Forum Master

Postby Stephen Chapman » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:05 pm

That basically summed up what I meant. ;)

Fireleaf
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Fireleaf » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:31 am

Mike wrote:I realize the game is a treasure-hunt type of game, but it would be wonderful if there's more to it for the full game.

There will definately be more to it. :)

If you have any specific suggestions feel free to let them fly loose.

Tales of Northeta:

Sunbreak City:

Shmalloween (2010)
Attack-or-Treat
Gongo Warrior

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:35 am

I guess, more quests like the squishing bugs thing - but that's still searching - so perhaps quests involving puzzles or killing certain creatures. You could even look into putting a marshmellow gambling system of sorts (though limit it). Just anything that involves not always collecting.

One scenario I see is that you're stranded on an island where marshmellow are particularly scarce, and you pretty much have to get them from making deals with people or doing tasks for them to get it.

So yeah, just expand on the bug squishing thing so you aren't running around getting marshmellows manually. It's just like any game, you start off getting gold coins from monsters, but as things progress, it's more than just gold coins that allow you to progress, but rather key items and things like that.

I think this is the first time I've rambled on - I apologize. Feel free to ignore everything I said, since you did an excellent job with this first game, and I'd have to influence you to do something you can't handle or something too complex that it ends up not getting completed. Maybe others have neater ideas than I.

Fireleaf
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Fireleaf » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:48 am

Wow! I'm totally blown away that you made a gameplay suggestion Mike! I may be wrong, but that seems rare. Thanks for the input. The island sounds like a cool idea. I hadn't even thought of putting some kind of sea or ocean in the game.

Quests will definately play a bigger part because I'm still using the same system for leveling up and this game is longer than the first. Gaining levels will require more and more marshmellow each time, so finding them will be an easy way to do it in the beginning, but as things progress it will be necessary to do quests to keep filling the ever-growing quota. Theres a limit to how many marshmellows I'll be placing on each map, but in quests the reward can be any number.

Tales of Northeta:

Sunbreak City:

Shmalloween (2010)
Attack-or-Treat
Gongo Warrior

Indiana 266
001 Forum Master

Postby Indiana 266 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:48 am

Well, marshmallows float, so he could swim and have marshmellows floating in certain areas, swimming would be cool to see.

Stephen Chapman
001 Forum Master

Postby Stephen Chapman » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:03 pm

Fireleaf wrote:Wow! I'm totally blown away that you made a gameplay suggestion Mike! I may be wrong, but that seems rare.

Use it wisely, he won't do it again. ;)

Fireleaf
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Fireleaf » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:41 pm

Indiana 266 wrote:Well, marshmallows float, so he could swim and have marshmellows floating in certain areas, swimming would be cool to see.

Hmmmm ... that would be pretty cool. Not sure how to do that just yet though. I'll definately expiriment with it. ;)

I just put the preview of 2 more songs up on my site (Click the world icon under my avatar to hear it).

Also I'm open to suggestions for new characters. I've begun spriting lots of things so if you catch me while I'm still in the mood I might make what you suggest.

A peek at progress:
Shmallow World.png

Now I'm currently trying to make some new mountains:
Ffireleaf Screenshot.png

Also, the collaborative music score (made by mahself and metomunc) is nearing 20 compositions. Didn't even realize it until I stopped and counted them.

Tales of Northeta:

Sunbreak City:

Shmalloween (2010)
Attack-or-Treat
Gongo Warrior

11th Hour
Distinguished 001 Member

Re: Shmallow (Very In Progress)

Postby 11th Hour » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:20 am

Wow!!! I'm curious, what program do you use to make those mountains?
"The most disappointing thing about learning telepathy is finding
out how boring people really are."

Teferi, fourth-level student (-Magic: The Gathering)

Fireleaf
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Fireleaf » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:26 am

I usually just use MS Paint and sometimes Paint.Net. For those mountains I started on paint and then did the shading and stuff in Paint.Net. I'm not sure if they will make the cut into the final version of the game, but they work for now.

I guess I should put out a demo of this before too long. Maybe after I finish fixing up the hud and build a couple more maps.

Tales of Northeta:

Sunbreak City:

Shmalloween (2010)
Attack-or-Treat
Gongo Warrior

coffeennicotine
001 Fanatic

Postby coffeennicotine » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:04 am

Knowing the franchise, if you will, makes this even more cool. I really enjoyed the first. My favorite thing is that this game is retaining the unique art style.

Also, for some reason I find myself wanting to know what's further into that... um... Swamp? Whole area, or just a connection/hub? (btw, Cool light effects 8)

Fireleaf
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Fireleaf » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:42 am

It's always good to hear that someone else likes something you worked at. Thanks.
coffeennicotine wrote:Also, for some reason I find myself wanting to know what's further into that... um... Swamp? Whole area, or just a connection/hub? (btw, Cool light effects 8)

The area with the glowing mushrooms is a place called the Eskamold Caverns, which is a whole area. It can also becomes a shortcut way of getting from one place to another as there are severl tunnels leading to the surface. Eskamolds are an underground race that live in that part of the Werldland. "Werldland" is a Shmallmen term that can mean the same thing as "world", "continent", or "place" in English. It is the generic name given to the world that you explore in the game including all areas collectively.

I had an idea for this that involved Ashburp's skills, so I might wait until I can get some stuff from him before putting out a demo; that is, if he's still up for it. I still need to get things finished on my end before he can start working on it though, which involves me recovering the notebook that had a bunch of stuff for this in it. :roll: Why can't my room ever just stay clean!?!

EDIT: Cleaned my room finally and found it. Here's a shot of battle testing which is almost finished.
Shmallow World1.PNG

Tales of Northeta:

Sunbreak City:

Shmalloween (2010)
Attack-or-Treat
Gongo Warrior

11th Hour
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby 11th Hour » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:16 am

Looking great! Can't wait for this! It's probably going to be one of the most fun games of the year for me. I love how original this game is!! It's so hard to find something unique these days.
"The most disappointing thing about learning telepathy is finding
out how boring people really are."

Teferi, fourth-level student (-Magic: The Gathering)

Fireleaf
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Fireleaf » Wed May 08, 2013 12:34 am

11th Hour wrote: It's so hard to find something unique these days.

I will admit it's a bit of a break from the mold, but it's looking like Northeta is closer to release than this one.

coffeennicotine wrote:Knowing the franchise, if you will, makes this even more cool. I really enjoyed the first. My favorite thing is that this game is retaining the unique art style.

Also, for some reason I find myself wanting to know what's further into that... um... Swamp? Whole area, or just a connection/hub? (btw, Cool light effects 8)

The swamp? If you mean the underground, then it will serve as a connection hub and have a village of sorts with some other things to do (sort of like a gas station). So a bit of both.

Tales of Northeta:

Sunbreak City:

Shmalloween (2010)
Attack-or-Treat
Gongo Warrior

Return to Games In Progress