Scrolling an RPG World Map without actors

Have any questions or problems in making your game, subscribing and/or using our software? Post here.
Forum rules
Make sure you are using the newest version. This can be downloaded at the top of the site via the "downloads" link.

Use a very good subject. "Problem" or "Help" are unacceptable titles.

Use the search feature before posting a question, as the answer is probably already here.

Subscript out of range error 9: This is a generic error, and we'll need way more information than that to figure out the problem. If you get this, strongly consider following the instructions of submitting your project through the Submit Bug feature within the editor.
fma_lvr
001 Subscriber

Scrolling an RPG World Map without actors

Postby fma_lvr » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:47 am

So, I made a map that's essentially just an aesthetic representation of my entire game world, and I want the player to be able to move the camera itself around the area. I had a button press focus the camera on the world map, but I can't seem to set up a controllable camera panning from there.

This is what I tried; the idea was that it would move the camera steadily when the camera is focused on the World Map. However, this doesn't actually do...anything. If there's another selection as opposed to the Camera Panning positions that would accomplish this, I haven't found it.

In theory I could transport the main character to the map and just make it invisible, but that's not really what I'm looking for here. I haven't worked with camera manipulation enough, apparently.
Is there a solution to this that doesn't involve using actors?

SBG
001 Subscriber

Re: Scrolling an RPG World Map without actors

Postby SBG » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:13 pm

How exactly are you trying to let the player control the movement? Keyboard, mouse clicking or edge scrolling?

fma_lvr
001 Subscriber

Postby fma_lvr » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:11 pm

SBG wrote:How exactly are you trying to let the player control the movement? Keyboard, mouse clicking or edge scrolling?

I wanted to use arrow keys, sorry if that was unclear. I tried something with the mouse but since my game doesn't normally use the mouse (and I didn't understand how to implement that idea there) I stopped with the mouse.

Admittedly I realized after posting this that my main problem with simply moving the main character to the map would be moving him BACK, until I realized I could make a collection with the x,y,z positions saved into it so that I could bring the player back exactly where they had been with just a button press. Kind of neat, that.

Anyway, I actually may still want to use this idea at a later date, if I could manipulate the camera more effectively. It'd be great for cutscenes or minigames in theory.

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:46 pm

Yeah, it's actually pretty easy using the keyboard. You would want to use an invisible actor, but not the main actor so you wouldn't have to move it out of its current map.

I'd make a switch for map mode. When activated, make the camera focus on the invisible map actor, and switch the inputs to control that actor instead of the main actor. That's pretty much it.

I personally use a camera actor at all times, mostly because I use edge scrolling in my game, but it helps a lot with camera control and such for cutscenes like you said.

fma_lvr
001 Subscriber

Postby fma_lvr » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:37 pm

SBG wrote:Yeah, it's actually pretty easy using the keyboard. You would want to use an invisible actor, but not the main actor so you wouldn't have to move it out of its current map.

I'd make a switch for map mode. When activated, make the camera focus on the invisible map actor, and switch the inputs to control that actor instead of the main actor. That's pretty much it.

I personally use a camera actor at all times, mostly because I use edge scrolling in my game, but it helps a lot with camera control and such for cutscenes like you said.

Oh! I hadn't thought of switching the inputs to just move a different actor. Actually, that could be useful for just having the player temporarily control a different character that isn't a party member. Hmm.
That reminds me, I have a couple of scenes that are essentially flashbacks/memories and I set up a switch to disable the HUD and all the menu/item related controls temporarily, but it would be cool to force the player, many hours into the game, to control a new character for a bit.

Return to Technical Support Questions