Concept Art - Comics

General discussion relating to everything except 001.
Forum rules
Please do not post questions concerning the 001 software in this forum.
Lucifiend
001 Subscriber

Concept Art - Comics

Postby Lucifiend » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:20 pm

While I'm giving up on my latest venture is 001, I have a variety of other distractions to occupy my time. One of those would be making comics/comic books. I just finished making a three comic storyline. Not only is it the first comic book I've finished, but it is also the first complete story arc. Even though the comics were fun to make, it was more of a learning project than something worth showing around. While I ponder my next challenge, I thought I could toss up some of the concept art I've been generating.

This image goes with a story about a colony on a lonely planet that comes under attack my a warbot. The colony was established to reclaim wreckage from a massive war between two megacorporations and turn a profit on the refined scraps. Because of the nature of their work, I wanted the colony to reflect a scavenged building material look. I've included two images. My initial doodle and the finished concept. Hopefully it is easy to tell which is which.
Attachments
Colony.jpg
Colony Doodle
Solace colony sm.png
Colony Concept

evs
001 Admirer

Re: Concept Art - Comics

Postby evs » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:49 pm

fantastic

Lucifiend
001 Subscriber

Postby Lucifiend » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:21 am

Thanks! Though I think it's unlikely I could manage to keep up that level of detail on every panel and ever finish the story. I'll have to find some sort of compromise or I'll get frustrated and quit.

The next image is actually one of the first I did for the story. Originally I started off with the warbot looking like something stolen straight out of Terminator (Hunter/Killers are probably the most iconic warbots I can think of), but started thinking that most autonomous vehicles are built for function. So I cut out the arms, head and torso and designed something that would easily grind over the bones of it's enemies.
Attachments
crusher.jpg
Warbot takes a moment for a photo op

Wonderland
001 Forum Master

Postby Wonderland » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:04 am

Wow, this looks amazing!

Lucifiend
001 Subscriber

Postby Lucifiend » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:31 pm

The colony scrappers perform brutal work day after day as they slowly reclaim remnants from corporate land grab gone horribly wrong.
Attachments
crusher scrappers cutter.png
The cutter with his laser torch.
crusher scrappers hammer.png

evs
001 Admirer

Postby evs » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:14 am

absolutely sick. yeah i see what you mean about time taken vs getting something finnished. perhaps a digital drawing program with multi layers and some cartoon shading would help speed it up. i made some new brushes for SERIF Draw Plus that help to make a decent drawing quickly (by cartoon shading i mean shading a whole area quickly holding the mouse button (or pen stylus) down. this leads to no colour variation in the coloured or shaded areas..big areas of a uniform colour i mean. just look at any cartoon, im pretty sure thats how they do it.

Lucifiend
001 Subscriber

Postby Lucifiend » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:16 pm

Luckily I was able to purchase a Cintiq Companion. It really started coming together when I also got Clip Studio Paint (use to be called Manga Studio). I don't know how a digital comic book artist could live without it. It has so many tools that aid the process that rarely use Photoshop or Sketchbook anymore. CSP made tedious tasks like dialogue/word balloons and comic frames amazingly fast and intuitive, allowing me to focus on the more fun aspects. There was something magical about sketching out a draft, inking the lines, painting and lettering all in one go. Before I would have to make a page full of thumbnails, then go to my comic board and rough it out. Then I would have to do clean up pencils. Inking. Scan in to a computer. Adjust levels. Digitally color it. And finally add text and bubbles. Now I transition back and forth between all the stages however I want with the added option to click Undo when things go terribly wrong. All this has really made something that I used to find tedious a lot more fun and rewarding.

Below is the drab passenger ship, Boundless Spirit, that has a minor appearance in the comic. I doubt it will have more than 3-4 panels dedicated to it out of the whole thing. Unlike our cruise ships where passengers wander around the ship looking for entertainment, during space travel you basically hop in a sleep pod and wake up on the other end. You would rarely see the outside of the ship anyhow, so it has been engineered for function only.
Attachments
Boundless Spirit.jpg
Boundless Spirit

evs
001 Admirer

Postby evs » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:09 am

yeah i tried clip studio, just the free trial. i grabbed the face textures and portrait graphics from their little 3d people to experiment with and learn from. im glad its working out for you. again, i must say your results are surprisingly excellent. definately continue with this, if not a comic, then a game with comic storytelling elements or so

p.s. have you seen space dandy?
Last edited by evs on Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Automatically merged double post.

Lucifiend
001 Subscriber

Postby Lucifiend » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:35 pm

I have not seen Space Dandy, though a quick google search has me digging the peculiar art choices. I'm kind of a sucker for sci-fi.

To get the merry band of mercenaries, I had to develop some sort of cargo ship that makes trips back and forth from a nearby space station to the colony landing pad. I wasn't as happy with how Scrap Hopper turned out, but it's alright for a first go at the design. I really wanted this to be some sort of mis-shapened cargo ship but it ended up looking more like a space B-2.
Attachments
scrap hoppersm.png
Scrap Hopper

evs
001 Admirer

Postby evs » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:54 am

look good, id make the fuselage bigger though

Lucifiend
001 Subscriber

Postby Lucifiend » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:06 pm

I honestly have more fun making concept art than anything else. Maybe I can just tell a story through concept art...

This is just some doodles I made flicking through a magazine trying to come up with character portraits for various personalities in the comic. A couple have vague resemblances to the actor I grabbed them from. Bonus points for figuring out any of the 3 actors I used (one guy was just some ad model). I have some character concepts using these mugs coming later.
Attachments
crusher character studies.png
Gallery of Peeps

evs
001 Admirer

Postby evs » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:39 am

nicholas cage.. ? they look like pen drawings untill they get enlarged, thas why i suggested using a paint program at first. but when enlarged i an see they're digital

Lucifiend
001 Subscriber

Updated 16 Dec 16

Postby Lucifiend » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:33 pm

I use a pretty hard lead for my pencil when drawing. I find with fainter lines I end up pressing a little too rough with the stylus. No Nicholas Cage, though I can see it a bit. There is a chance one is based on Jason Statham though.

Below is Pasco. He is the official naysayer of the mercenaries. In my military experience, there always has to be one in the bunch that thinks every leader makes poor decisions and has to whine about it to the rest of the team.

I'm not sure why I drew him floating in space. Maybe I got tired of drawing dudes on white backgrounds at this point.

Updated Dec 16

I added the appointed mayor of the colony. I figured giving him a radio would make him look like an authoritative person. People with radios mean business.
Attachments
crusher character studies 2 sm.png
The mayor of scraptown
Pasco 3.jpg
Pasco

Return to General Discussion