Samaras Gold

Tell us about the 001 game you're working on. Show us screenshots. Discuss, promote and share games with others.
Forum rules
If you would like to post about your game, make sure to include screenshots and a long, well-written, thorough description.

Please be positive and understand that not everyone is skilled at using Map001. Games that are similar to other games, or fan games using commercial games' art are perfectly acceptable.

This forum section is dedicated to the discussion of games made with Map001 only.

You must upload your games to above games section of site. Outside links for games are forbidden in this section.
kararty
Ultimate 001 Member

Samaras Gold

Postby kararty » Fri May 24, 2013 12:52 pm

sg.png

What is Samaras Gold?
It's like Delver and Pixel Dungeon(Android) (if you have heard of those game),
You are looking for an treasure in this huge dungeon filled with danger and enemies.
You enter dungeons, kill monsters, clear the dungeon, search for treasure and occasionally you will reach an city where you purchase and equip yourself for the next dungeon.

What are the current features?
These are the current features:
  • Random Dungeons <--- Not really random, you'll just receive a different dungeon each time you start the game.
  • Custom Tile-sets
  • Enemies (In progress)
  • derp (that's not a feature)

What is the current progress?
I've finished up the custom tile-sets.
The Equipment HUD is not yet done and I do need help, /viewtopic.php?f=19&t=23521

Thanks!

Gerardred and KararTY.
Last edited by kararty on Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mike wrote:...

Image<~~~|Get over here!

macrostrata
001 Admirer

Re: Samuris Gold - Need Ideas

Postby macrostrata » Fri May 24, 2013 5:22 pm

The lightins is ok as it sets the 'Gold' mood however right now it's pretty empty.

mistergeorge
001 Admirer

Postby mistergeorge » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:49 am

Ok in my opinion such a game needs different kind of enemies with different powers and abilities and also lots of weapons for the character to buy or upgrade. You can come up to a simple story so the game will be understandable and fun to play. I think that the lighting in the city has to be very bright so it gives you the idea of a friendly enviroment and this changes in the dungeons where the lighting will be darker and more creepy.

kararty
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby kararty » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:04 am

mistergeorge wrote:Ok in my opinion such a game needs different kind of enemies with different powers and abilities and also lots of weapons for the character to buy or upgrade. You can come up to a simple story so the game will be understandable and fun to play. I think that the lighting in the city has to be very bright so it gives you the idea of a friendly enviroment and this changes in the dungeons where the lighting will be darker and more creepy.

Exactly the kind of information I was looking for!

Enemies will first start up easy to kill but they will hang out in big groups (flocks or whatever).
After that enemies will appear in small groups but with higher possibility of getting the character killed (if you don't play right of course).
Some enemy types cannot be killed and must be avoided (stealthing yourself will make them dissapear for example).

Now about the different powers,
I kinda want it to be an rogue but I guess(sss) that temporary abilities are okay but nothing overpowered such as invincibility(What about invisibility?).

Abilities like magic you mean?
If yes then I will come up with that information later :P

Now you'll start up with your ordinary knife which you can upgrade when the weapon reaches an certain exp.
Or you could (if you had the money) buy a 'better' knife which has the same stats as the ordinary knife but gives you more hp or attack etc etc.

The lightning is exactly as you described it.

I just need some help creating the "randomized dungeons" ...

Image<~~~|Get over here!

mistergeorge
001 Admirer

Postby mistergeorge » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:15 am

I think this is a good game layout but i still think you have to put more than one class (Except if you want the story to be based on one hero). I think inisibility is a good ability used by rogue so he can escape enemies that are too strong for him. I didn't understand what "randomized dungeons" is. Do you want a system to randomize dungeons so they will be different all the time or you want to create different dungeons by yourself and you don't know what to throw in?

kararty
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby kararty » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:22 am

mistergeorge wrote:I think this is a good game layout but i still think you have to put more than one class (Except if you want the story to be based on one hero). I think inisibility is a good ability used by rogue so he can escape enemies that are too strong for him. I didn't understand what "randomized dungeons" is. Do you want a system to randomize dungeons so they will be different all the time or you want to create different dungeons by yourself and you don't know what to throw in?

Exactly,
I don't know If I want A. FULLY randomized dungeons (with timers(enemies) and randomized layout) or B. just have them made preset and send them out randomly or C. Have an script to put the rooms randomly in the for example 32x32 area...?

A , B or C?

Now 'A and C' might be impossible but again, 'everything is possible'...

Image<~~~|Get over here!

mistergeorge
001 Admirer

Postby mistergeorge » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:06 pm

A and C are not impossible they just need a couple of days to make and i don't think is that difficult. But i would go for B because i think that it is much better to create lots of dungeons yourself.(Not very hard and quite fast) and then make a system to throw random enemies and items to them.

kararty
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby kararty » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:16 pm

This is one of the dungeons,
Is this too big to be the 'first dungeon' you enter?
dungeon_1.png
Dungeon which I created and some dark light added.

Again, COMPLETELY WIP. (I already notice 2 dungeon rooms which lacks a way inside.

The dungeon's sun color will be completely black and when you move you will lighten up wherever you go...Kinda...and when you enter big rooms the whole room will be lighten up and upon leaving it the light will decrease...What do you say?

1.png
Not inside the dungeon room
1.png (3.45 KiB) Viewed 3379 times

2.png
Inside the dungeon room

How it would look with an character:
3.png
With an character...

Advise?

Image<~~~|Get over here!

kerub
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby kerub » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:59 pm

Yes. Make a list (maybe on paper) first where you outline what the player will find in that dungeon, what and how many rooms it will need etc. Also, think about the order the player will go through the dungeon. I.e. the boss chamber probably shouldn't be next to the entrance. Next, make a layout draft (maybe on paper, too ;)) of your planned rooms and then connect them in a logical way that corresponds to your notes from before. Then build the dungeon in the actual map editor. You can still add rooms and features later if you come up with fresh ideas, but having a basic plan of what to do is key to good level design. Creating lots of rooms and trying to fill them later with stuff usually results in empty and/or repetitively filled, boring areas. Avoid that.

Also, having only square rooms is extremely boring and highly unrealistic too, as dungeons usually base on natural caves. Having some man (or whatever creature) made rooms is perfectly okay, though, but try to give it some diversity. Another thing is, try to avoid creating labyrinths just for the sake of having one. If you want to make a labyrinth, think of a reason why it was built (for artificial ones) or why it was left intact and integrated into the dungeon (for natural labyrinth-like caves). There is also a good post by Serrafina around here somewhere, I think in the screenshots topic, where she explains why it adds to the game to have background stories to dungeons. Which applies to most other places, too.

serrafina
001 Forum Master

Re: Samaras Gold

Postby serrafina » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:17 pm

Thanks Kerub! I believe it could have been this post:

Nice! :D I like puzzles! Will you be explaining to players why the dungeons contain puzzles? Older games don't necessary tie these enhance gameplay with the purpose. If you imagine you were the character and you're matching tiles with the same color pattern, wouldn't you think that somebody created tiles that serve no function for no reason in a dungeon (except to make it difficult)? Right there, you're disconnecting yourself from the game and the audience. Therefore, it might be nice to see a game creator give a little excerpt to why we're going through these puzzles.

For example, you can begin by having an entrance guard enter the dungeon with the hero with this conversation: An old architect builder used to create these once massive buildings within mountains, deserts, and forests. As this builder continued to inspire others with his artistic buildings, he wanted visitors to become engage inside these buildings as well. In order to achieve a pure connection between the visitors and the buildings, he created interactive puzzles, which concealed many treasures behind hidden walls and doors. But after a while, these puzzles became too sophisticated that visitors began to abandon these once magnificent buildings. Additionally, the creator passed away, leaving some solutions unanswered. "This building was created by that builder named Orroco the Dungeon Master."
Last edited by serrafina on Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Automatically merged double post.

kararty
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby kararty » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:06 pm

O.O
That was me reading your text ^^

I did like your example story and it fit perfectly, although Samaras Gold is about a very greedy man, looking for the ancient riches of Samaras Gold... Only to discover that "it" wasn't a physical object. (Spoilers!!)

Thanks once again for that wonderful feedback, serrafina... but I do not intend on bringing this project back because the files have been lost due to my recent hardware failure. I am creating a very similar game to this ( Samara's Battle (wip) ) but I am still very busy with school and all.
-
Let's hope I get more time :D

Image<~~~|Get over here!

Merlin_Kalkinput
001 Enthusiast

Postby Merlin_Kalkinput » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:57 pm

derp (that's not a feature)

Ohhhhhhh man! :(
My Youtube channel for 001 tutorials:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2hlOjF4uoW_WHEdPbs23wg/videos