ANOTHER New Game From CnN :D

Tell us about the 001 game you're working on. Show us screenshots. Discuss, promote and share games with others.
Forum rules
If you would like to post about your game, make sure to include screenshots and a long, well-written, thorough description.

Please be positive and understand that not everyone is skilled at using Map001. Games that are similar to other games, or fan games using commercial games' art are perfectly acceptable.

This forum section is dedicated to the discussion of games made with Map001 only.

You must upload your games to above games section of site. Outside links for games are forbidden in this section.
coffeennicotine
001 Fanatic

ANOTHER New Game From CnN :D

Postby coffeennicotine » Sat May 31, 2014 3:18 am

Foreword:

Okay. Here we go again. :lol:

The latest 001 update broke Oculus Origins again. Now, I feel I'd be remiss if I didn't say that Map001 is the best dev resource out there. Period. What we're getting here for free blows all the other game makers of its type away. And considering the money they want for full access to their kits as opposed to what 001 wants for their premium access; well, there's no comparison. I love working with 001.

Also, I should mention that Oculus Origins has been in the works forever. And the way I strung it together was never the way it should have been done. Even way back when. So I'm amazed that the engine tolerated it as long as it did. From here on into the foreseeable future I won't be updating my install of the engine. I'm going for a full and polished game here, so I can't afford update anomalies. But rest assured that at some point Oculus Origins will be completed.

The New Game:
The new game I am working on is called USI: Unwarranted Self-Importance.

About:
USI uses, for the most part, the 45 degree map layout and battles are scheduled, again for the most part, to be turn based. The game centers around your character: A 20-something who lives by herself in her small apartment. Nothing too out of the ordinary about her life... A Job she doesn't care for but deals with. School. Loans. Managing what free time she can get. So on and so forth.

The player starts in the characters small apartment. After a bit the player will leave and find themselves put in a situation that results in, for lack of a better term, an outright anger-stroke on the part of the character. (Think about a person in line in front of you at the store with 100 items that's arguing over a .25 cent coupon while you have only one item. That sort of nonsense.) After the 'anger-stroke' the player will alternate between a normal and dark version of both the world and herself. Where things get interesting is when the dark character turns up in the normal world and vice-versa. (The timing of this is yet to be worked out.)
USI will have a distinct visual style.
Inspired by the likes of 'Off', 'Homestuck' and the darker bits of 'FLCL'.

Unlike Oculus the character design and personality came first.

Themes.
USI deals with the asinine sh*t people pull from time to time in everyday life and the main characters reactions to those things free of consequences. Its also about how even though there are no consequences for the characters reactions (Your reactions as the player) there is always a price to be paid.

In the world of USI sometimes people get what they're asking for.

Note:
USI should be considered rated M (Or PEGI 18; if you will...). Obviously it's dark. But I would call it an example of black humor in a video-game more than anything else. Also how dark it gets will be up to the player. I'm going to go to a lot of effort to not make it come off outright mean no matter what the player does.

Lee
001 Support

Re: ANOTHER New Game From CnN :D

Postby Lee » Sat May 31, 2014 6:59 am

Another CnN game? It's going to awesome. Period.

Looking forward to seeing more of this, keep it up ;).
Lee - 001 Community Manager

SBG
001 Subscriber

Postby SBG » Sat May 31, 2014 10:21 am

This sounds amazing! I cannot tell you how much I hate the rat race and the idiots that make it happen. Right up my alley, except I'm not some college girl, nothing like one in fact.

Actually, thinking about it, college girls have one of the easiest ways life there is. I couldn't imagine one snapping like that. I think that role would be better suited for a father of three crazy children and a lazy wife, who works 60 hours a week and commutes an hour to work everyday, sometimes maybe even 3 or 4 hours sitting in traffic. College girls don't have to leave their bubble much, so that would seem more realistic to me. Actually dumb college bimbos are a major contributing factor to some of my anger issues. But that's just me though.

coffeennicotine
001 Fanatic

Postby coffeennicotine » Sat May 31, 2014 1:19 pm

Lee wrote:
Another CnN game? It's going to awesome. Period.

Looking forward to seeing more of this, keep it up ;).

Thanks Lee! Yeah, HttT was a fun game idea but not enough thought was put into it's execution and mechanics. Not knowing what I wanted in the way of the mechanics and being extra busy with job stuff and life in general kinda all came together to sabotage HttT development. Which in hindsight is fine

I'm excited about the fun and time savings that I feel the turn-based battle system will offer. USI will have a unique visual style that will also lend itself to time savings through not having to concentrate so heavily on sprite animation in the traditional sense; although attention to the character has, in a dev sense, finally come first. (Yes, it always should have.)

Since I'm the worst deadline breaker since Duke Nukem' I'm going to avoid time tables. That having been said my next milestone is probably going to be to put together the battle system enough to package and deploy it for you guys to test out for feedback purposes.

SBG wrote:
This sounds amazing! I cannot tell you how much I hate the rat race and the idiots that make it happen. Right up my alley, except I'm not some college girl, nothing like one in fact.

Actually, thinking about it, college girls have one of the easiest ways life there is. I couldn't imagine one snapping like that. I think that role would be better suited for a father of three crazy children and a lazy wife, who works 60 hours a week and commutes an hour to work everyday, sometimes maybe even 3 or 4 hours sitting in traffic. College girls don't have to leave their bubble much, so that would seem more realistic to me. Actually dumb college bimbos are a major contributing factor to some of my anger issues. But that's just me though.

I hear ya. Honestly that's kinda what helped mold the character into who she is. She doesn't have anyone helping her tho. She's basically doing the thing where she has no financial help from anyone so she's working like 65-70hrs/wk in the fall semester and still working while she goes full time in spring. Definitely not a trust-fund baby.

A lof of this aspect is modeled from someone I know and am close to IRL. What makes it all worse is that she is attractive so people one-off assume this is her deal. Which adds to her irritation since all she does is works, sleeps, and goes to school while watching her 'peer group' basically screw off and party away tens of thousands of dollars that their parents just shovel at them without thinking twice; when in reality that money would be better spent packed into trash bags, loaded into a rocket, and shot into the sun. (Funny. What I said could be considered a spoiler for the game. :lol: )

I also like her because she's young enough to situationally relate to, average-player-wise, while also defying a popular yet realistic stereotype. I've known plenty of the college girls you describe and still do. (I'm fine with them. They're like small yappy dogs. You want to hate them at first sight. Then you get to know them and you're like,"Damnit! You're actually pretty cool...". You know, sometimes.) But I also know many others like the character who are killing themselves to make it happen.

That's just one aspect of her tho. I think people will generally like her and like the story outside the expected complaints that USI is too dark, voilent, and cynical. But honestly those people are probably the same as*hats that are talking on their cellphones while in front of a drive-through speaker when they could have made the call for the past 20 minutes they've been in front of you in line.

metomunc
001 Forum Master

Postby metomunc » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:38 am

____ is the root of all evil. ;)
Who should I really listen to?

Return to Games In Progress