Saving a playername on a text based game

Have any questions or problems in making your game, subscribing and/or using our software? Post here.
Forum rules
Make sure you are using the newest version. This can be downloaded at the top of the site via the "downloads" link.

Use a very good subject. "Problem" or "Help" are unacceptable titles.

Use the search feature before posting a question, as the answer is probably already here.

Subscript out of range error 9: This is a generic error, and we'll need way more information than that to figure out the problem. If you get this, strongly consider following the instructions of submitting your project through the Submit Bug feature within the editor.
Juicy

Saving a playername on a text based game

Postby Juicy » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:38 pm

Strangely i did not find one shred of information on the forums on text based games. Guess its a pretty dead category nowdays. Anyways, im making one as i thought it would be an easy starting point to make games. Still im stumbling over and over again and this time its about the players name. My game starts with a woman introducing herself to the player and afterwards asking his name. At this point i would like the player to be able to type in his name which would be saved to a variable so it can be used later in the game as well. Also id like the woman to ask the typed name again from the player to make sure the player inputted the right name that is wanted. How would i go about this?

JimmySterylian
001 Fanatic

Re: Saving a playername on a text based game

Postby JimmySterylian » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:10 pm

Something like this:

Shingu
001 Supporter

Postby Shingu » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:49 pm

Text based system is good in this engine...
I made a system of random item atributes whith this method.
In box values :usevalue: , a entire section for this is existent.

Juicy

Postby Juicy » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:30 pm

Thanks, but im not sure if that input box method would work for me, i actually didnt get it working as i tried, but i suppose i should look into it some more. Anyway, i realized i should prolly put up the code to get people to get my point across better.

So im trying to get it to save the player name to the variable Player_name after collection wake_up has looped. Field "2" just changes the text before the input console to "my name is:"
What am i doing wrong here? There is a variable operation that should change Player_name to the fields value but for some reason it wont do that.
after the player has typed the name in it should again change the "my name is:" to something like "Billy Bob:" or whatever..

EgyLynx
001 Enthusiast

Postby EgyLynx » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:59 am

:?
I think that end is little mess, like it do just opposite what you wanna it do?
goodbay

AnvilHouse
001 Support

Postby AnvilHouse » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:08 am

:lol: just like I said in discord this is all you would have to do in the activated trigger, tested and works 100%

Image Image Image

https://www.patreon.com/Anvilhouse ...yes...I am on Patreon!

-The store is under construction-
All items are guaranteed to work with 001 ;)

Juicy

Postby Juicy » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:24 am

well i did get that script to work on a blank sheet, but it wont work on this http://www.engine001.com/script/elACd4
i guess im still doing something wrong? Also, it woukd be nice if the player didnt have to type in "my name is" to get it to save the name but just be able to type it in straight on.
Last edited by Juicy on Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Automatically merged double post.

EgyLynx
001 Enthusiast

Postby EgyLynx » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:10 pm

Wait! What version your have?
goodbay

Juicy

Postby Juicy » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:52 pm

If you're referring to the software, im using the steam version 1.017.004

Return to Technical Support Questions