Nervonius

Tell us about the 001 game you're working on. Show us screenshots. Discuss, promote and share games with others.
Forum rules
If you would like to post about your game, make sure to include screenshots and a long, well-written, thorough description.

Please be positive and understand that not everyone is skilled at using Map001. Games that are similar to other games, or fan games using commercial games' art are perfectly acceptable.

This forum section is dedicated to the discussion of games made with Map001 only.

You must upload your games to above games section of site. Outside links for games are forbidden in this section.
Samulis
001 Fanatic

Nervonius

Postby Samulis » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:59 pm

Nervonius I: Revenge

IMPORTANT: IF YOU DOWNLOADED THE GAME BEFORE 4/6/10, PLEASE DOWNLOAD THE NEW VERSION.

Game:
http://www.engine001.com/games/Nervonius+I%3A+Revenge_1049.htm

I'm working on this project... it started out as me just drawing a barracks and a guy in it to now what is a whole city. I have made a few custom graphics parts and I am working on making a custom soundtrack, but as of now it is still very early on in the BETA stage.

Updates:
-Game version .27 released!

-Lighting added... a few bugs fixed... new soundtrack added...
-Game version .29 Released!

-New map added...
-A few new graphics added...
-A few previously conceptualized items added... including clothing...
-Soundtrack development...
-Version .35 being held back for... suspense reasons... (ask me for a version if you want it...)
-Kayon Map revisited... new buildings, solid roofs...
-Soundtrack for Nemanar Castle completed...
-Version .41 being held back as well... version .45 will be the next official release after .29
-Concept work for Nemas (new city)...
-Menu art revised, new Start Menu created!...
-Ballancing of Nemanar City map...
-Version series renamed version .35 under the rationale that the game is larger than previously expected...
-Version .35 (previously known as version .45) RELEASED!

-A crud load of work done on the Nemanar maps... those maps are now 100% done, with the exception of bug testing and whatnot.
-COMPLETELY NEW SOUNDTRACK!!!
-COMPLETELY NEW HUD STYLE!!!
-New items added: Apples, Pears, new books, potion(s), etc.
-New environment items added, those being done by other 001 members. That includes new trees.
-New map created and started: Dorthold.
-Kayon is now 60% done!!!
-Version .45a is ALMOST ready to be released!!!!

Plot:
You are Nevonius. Born in a small town outside of Nemanar, your friend, Lyran the Warrior, invites you to visit the city of Nemanar, for he is now a Captain of the Guard. You must do everything from consult drunk merchants from far off lands to bribe the town guards to let you into the castle. Welcome to the world, my friend, for it is a tough one.

I have put a large amount of effort towards two areas of the game:
-Back History (to immerse the player in a realistic seeming environment)
-Historical Looking Scenery and Structures.

There is a large amount of activities under way, a few complex tasks, quite a few heavily scripted features, and a planned combat system... that I am having trouble figuring out... If you have any suggestions for the plot or want to help in any way, I would love your assistance. :)

Anyway, please enjoy these screenshots. If you want to see any more screen shots or have any questions or comments, do not hesitate to either send me a message.

Various Icon images:
ImageImage

Additonal Images:
banner3.png
A banner from v 0.29
banner3.png (6.41 KiB) Viewed 2116 times

before the lord of Nemanar2.PNG
Before the Lord of Nemanar, from v 0.29

HUD.PNG
The lastest HUD, from version 0.45a (not yet released).
Last edited by Samulis on Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:55 am, edited 10 times in total.

Indiana 266
001 Forum Master

Re: Nervonius

Postby Indiana 266 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:12 pm

It looks like in the last picture only one guy has legs. :|
And is this midievil cause the bartender has glasses
Otherwise looks not too bad.

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:29 pm

Well. I think it looks pretty detailed and nice. Can't wait to try it.

Scaveleon
001 Translator

Postby Scaveleon » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:37 pm

The story is very cliché. Bad guy kills someone dear, good guy gets revenge. If you want to help the story, then I suggest:

1. Deeper characters. You need to make the characters express feelings, show us they are real humans. Ask yourself "What would make this character cry?" You don't HAVE to make the characters cry, but it's a great start to making them human (Assuming, they are human). You can build the character from there, including interests, looks, preferences, weaknesses and strengths. I'm still not sure who I am playing as.

2. Obstacles. They should be made clear through the story, and block our player. Obstacles in the game prevents the player from reaching his/her goal. I assume right now the obstacle is enemies by the bad guy. This is bad, because it's not related to the story or the character. Our character doesn't care. The obstacles must make the character do choices with consequences. Make them tough - It's makes things real and interesting. And adds a lot replay value!

3. Background. Remember that the traits of the character usually has a reason. Assuming you've already done part one, you must ask yourself why? Why is the character afraid of this? Why is the character's look like this? You don't have to give a story to all specialties, but a few adds a lot of background and story to the character. It's good to discover who we are playing as as we go through the game. And it's good to have a reason why your character is who they are. Background also applies to the world, religion, races, so it's not just characters that needs a deep background. Though you're already working on this, but it's good to know why you need it.

It's important to add lightning to your game. It's really colorful right now, no problem, but if there's a torch, what does it light up? Make the sun darker, add light to the torches. Try not to add too many though, it can make the game lag.

If you haven't already, take a look here! It's a list of important things to add in your game.

Good luck with your game. :)
MIV wrote:It's definitely not The Epic Game of Loladin as the screenshot said.
Nor is it The Epic Game of Loladin Happy Face.

SoundCloud
Project blog

Samulis
001 Fanatic

Postby Samulis » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:44 pm

Thanks everyone for replying.

To clear up a few things:

-Although glasses were not 'invented' until the 1700s because of the required prerequisite of Optics, they may be allowed in fantasy storylines since in such storylines, anything and everything may change...

-I was looking into torches, but I realize that I was trying to do the wrong thing... Instead of darkening the sun, I just tried to make the lamps I put up brighter.

-There are actually a number of Neutral and Good antagonists, take the Lord of Nemanar, you'll get to know him quite well and I have to say, sometimes you wish you could walk up to him and press ctrl as hard as you can, but he is 'on your side'. Also, the town guards leech money out of you like there's no tommarow and you'll have lots of fun trying to navigate through foreign traders and visitiors. Since this is such a small 'tip of the iceberg' so far, the storyline is still developing greatly and there's a ton of Character Dev. to be done, mostly along the actual journey... that is, if he can leave the city in the first place.

Rico
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby Rico » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:54 pm

I agree with Scavelon but on the other hand I believe your the newest member so this must be quite a new project and it looks good so far details like that take time and effoert so as long as you don't rush it I believe it has good potential.

The maps are nice the details are well done but a bit of lighting would make it that bit better I think.
Keep up the good work :D
UPDATE:
I played it and it was good if you can keep or maybe even increase the variaty of characters you talk to and interactivity you have in your game and keep it through the whole game it will be good but as for critism some messages carried on off the screen and I killed the Inn People as soon as I left and the Guards soon after I know that was not how you were meant to play it but even so I think I should have been chased or atleast fined or punished in some way for my actions.

Samulis
001 Fanatic

Postby Samulis » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:00 pm

Rico wrote:I agree with Scavelon but on the other hand I believe your the newest member so this must be quite a new project and it looks good so far details like that take time and effoert so as long as you don't rush it I believe it has good potential.

The maps are nice the details are well done but a bit of lighting would make it that bit better I think.
Keep up the good work :D
UPDATE:
I played it and it was good if you can keep or maybe even increase the variaty of characters you talk to and interactivity you have in your game and keep it through the whole game it will be good but as for critism some messages carried on off the screen and I killed the Inn People as soon as I left and the Guards soon after I know that was not how you were meant to play it but even so I think I should have been chased or atleast fined or punished in some way for my actions.

I am slowly going through the process of transforming the characters into allied characters so you can't attack them.

Also, the first message does carry off-screen... I will shorten it. Also, I will try to get more characters, and get some more clothes. :)

serrafina
001 Forum Master

Postby serrafina » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:06 pm

I'd say there's always room for improvement and creativity! Of course, I'm lying because I don't say that all the time, but for you, you're exceptional! Either way, you have a good passion for this game, and it shows through the gather details you have already made! So keep that ambition going and don't stop! It doesn't matter how long it'll take as long as you don't stop! :] Now, that was Confucious.

Dunce
001 Forum Master

Postby Dunce » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:17 pm

Scaveleon wrote:The story is very cliché. Bad guy kills someone dear, good guy gets revenge.

You know, by now everything is cliche. It's hard to be more original on a plot for an RPG, I'm sure its more deep than that.

Samulis
001 Fanatic

Postby Samulis » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:49 pm

Thanks for the positive replies Dunce and Serrafina.

Development will be postponed until tommarow afternoon... I had a program problem with the lights, but I will just avoid those and try to carry on.

Some things I will be adding:
-Bank system, so you can store money in the banks of the kingdom.
-Sound FX (I have a small bank of ones I have been working on...)
-Add the woodcutting job to Lucius the Chief
-Add more food items and weapons
-Give the traders at the market more things to sell
-Add more buildings
-Make beer more beneficial to drink
-Plan an ambush (already started)
-Build the roadway to the next town to build
-'Filling out' the rest of the city

Here's a map of the kingdom by the way which I will be adding into the game (attached).
Also, if anyone is interested in helping out with the game, that'd be great. I would love to have a map maker on hand, since the end product will have between 8 and 25 individual maps.
Attachments
verildor.png
The Kingdom of Verildor

Next

Return to Games In Progress