Samersania Film Studios- Multimedia Productions

General discussion relating to everything except 001.
Forum rules
Please do not post questions concerning the 001 software in this forum.
Samulis
001 Fanatic

Samersania Film Studios- Multimedia Productions

Postby Samulis » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:00 pm

Greetings, fellow 001 users!

I am creating this topic in order to showcase some of my finest projects in graphic design, composing, and writing. Many of you have looked at my 001 Tutorials so far, and if not, please skip ahead to the section of this topic labeled 'Tutorials'. As usual, I would LOVE to hear from you on anything I do, for without advice and suggestions, it would be hard to improve (and I can assure you, there is always room for improvement). Also, please note I have opened a lot of the pictures to download and use if you want to use them (just give credit... the ones with the * are free to use).

Images, Graphic Design, Animation

Over the past years, I have worked on a number of solo and collab. projects, with the majority being by far, solo. Here is a small sampling of my computer-generated graphics. Please note, you CANNOT download or use ANY of the below items, unless the text below them ends in a * OR if you have my permission (simply because those files are not fully mine to give away). ALSO: Always give credit to me, in both personal and group projects.

A preview of a town I am building in 001 with my custom graphics (I will post up my graphics sheets later for download). *

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
A number of icon items for free use. *

ImageImageImageImageImage
Banners (for use as upper tile squares or Environment).*

An archery range, made for a game I hope to eventually make (for use as Environment).*

A Greek Hoplite. I made the picture for a board-game.*

A map of a part of a fantasy world. I made it for no reason besides practicing with Photoshop. *

I also have made a number of animated sequences, and recently made a great character sprite using frame-by-frame exported images from one of the animations, imported into 001. Sadly, I cannot release that yet, since it may be used by a good friend of mine for a game- and I wouldn't want anyone stealing it. Here is a single frame, though.

3D Models

As of late, I have been building 3D models for a 3D movie production program. Here are a few renders:

The inside of a Roman chariot racetrack.*

A section of Roman aqueduct. Ignore the background.*

An ancient temple, sort of middle-eastern in influence.*

That aqueduct segment in use.*

An interior scene of a medieval throne-room.*

The walls of the city of Constantinople.*

The Gatehouse from the above image.*

Maps and Map Editing
I like to call myself a Cartographer sometimes. Here are a few maps and edited comparisons of what I have done.

A large map of a world I made (digital version).

The original ink version (not the source image though) of the above image.

An un-edited map of a portion of that same world. *

An edited version of that map above with effects. *

Photography and Photo Manipulation

Many times have I created pieces of digital artwork using original and non-original photographs. I also remember to bring my camera on almost every hike and at every evening (or at least, I used to...). Here are a few of my favorite shots:

The coolest shot I have ever taken. I took it while on a train-ride through Alaska a few years ago.

Also from the same trip.

A picture that I'm not so sure why it's so interesting, but it just is.

My bookshelf... which is pretty cool looking. *

Fan-Art I made for a movie a guy is making... *

Knight riding through the forest. *

I drew a castle on the hill in one color, then used dodge and burn to do shading, then used filters to do effects. :) *

pencil drawing (yeah, I know it's under the wrong heading, but so what?) of a future title or something.

Fabrication and Re-creation

Also, I have done work in the fields of historical recreation of objects like suits of armor, swords, etc. Although I am not privy (or trained) to the arts of metal-working (I do most of my armor work with poster-board covered in aluminum foil tape, essentially a roll of 2 inch Reynold's Wrap covered in VERY sticky stuff on one side), I still make pretty realistic stuff. Below are a few shots from my latest creations- a set of Roman Armor (minus the shield, which is still in the works).

The full set, which includes the armor (called Lorica Segmentata, which is commonly (and mistakenly, thanks to Hollywood) shown made with leather), two braces/arm-guards, two greaves/leg-guards, a helmet, and a sword (in that case, called a Spatha, or Cavarlyman's sword, because of its length). Additionally, I made a light blue tunic and a red tunic, but those are not shown in the picture. *

A close-up on the detail work of the arm-guards. *

...and here's some Chainmail I tried making a few weeks ago but gave up on when I realized I was getting nowhere... *

The sword, with a measuring stick next to it. The sword itself was constructed out of three pieces of oak dowel, a 3/4 in. thick one went down the center, while two 1/4 in. ones framed it to make the appearance of a sharpened sword from a distance. *

Writing and Guidebooks:

I have written numerous guidebooks to both 001 and other programs. Here are every single one of my guides:
Lighting (001)- http://www.engine001.com/tutorials/Lighting_213.htm
Creating Artwork in Various Programs (001) VOTED 'EXTREMELY HELPFUL'- http://www.engine001.com/tutorials/Creating+Artwork+in+Various+Programs_212.htm
Creating Fictional Names (001)- http://www.engine001.com/tutorials/Creating+Fictional+Names_218.htm
Plotline in the Heroic Genre (001)- http://www.engine001.com/tutorials/Plotline+in+the+Heroic+Genre_219.htm
The Essentials of Transparency (001)- http://www.engine001.com/tutorials/The+Essentials+of+Transparency_231.htm

NEW!!! Guide to Writing Music (001~LMMS)- See the pre-release .pdf!

Out of 001:
Stable and Effective Government ('Visual Utopia')- http://visual-utopia.com/forum.asp?f=Guides%20and%20Articles&t=Stable%20and%20Effective%20Goverment&replies=4&vuid=PSDATHOLLS58636
Creating Fictional Names EXTENDED FREE NAMES LIST (001/GENERAL)- http://petaworkshops.webs.com/Grepolis%20Blog.html
Comparative Government/Online Multiplayer 'alliance'/'clan' Government- http://grepolisblog.wordpress.com/2010/02/14/wan-post1/

============

Well, I would like to thank you for checking out my thread! Feel free to post comments on ANYTHING I have made or done anywhere, I would love to hear from you. If you think what you are going to say is foolish or silly, send me a message instead. I am willing to also make you things if you want me to.

Thanks,
-Samulis
Last edited by Samulis on Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:14 pm, edited 5 times in total.

ITB
001 Subscriber

Re: Samersania Film Studios- Multimedia Productions

Postby ITB » Sat May 01, 2010 7:42 am

You really are into knights and kingdoms arn't you? :)

I really like the picture of the waterfall. It's beautiful.

Your art is pretty good too.

Samulis
001 Fanatic

Postby Samulis » Sat May 01, 2010 7:26 pm

Thanks.

I specialize in the Middle Ages, and I would also in the Classical world, but I don't have many pictures concerning that period... so I leave the Greeks and Romans to those who do.

Tydome
Distinguished 001 Member

Postby Tydome » Sun May 02, 2010 6:27 am

Kewl, King And Kingdoms i haven't checked on their progress yet.

Nice armor set

<---- Guy is impressed.

Kewl pictures.
I have no signature.

Samulis
001 Fanatic

Postby Samulis » Sun May 02, 2010 4:11 pm

Thanks

http://www.kingsandkingdomsmovie.com/

if you're interested.

Ovoon
001 Forum Master

Postby Ovoon » Mon May 03, 2010 8:18 pm

Dude your awesome. I wish I was that kind of artistic.
DOOF

Samulis
001 Fanatic

Postby Samulis » Mon May 03, 2010 9:01 pm

Thanks, but to be frank, it is not that hard- just a bunch of practice and trying new techniques, along with having the right equipment. Most of the things I have made could never even have been conceptualized without Adobe Photoshop CS4 and a good amount of time spent playing around in it. I wrote up a good guide to make a banner like the one I have above, and I might make one on Photo-Manipulation. As for the hands-on work I do, there is one defining object: Duct Tape. :)

With a bit of trial and error, a good group of programs, and with creative problem solving, you can do almost anything for your game or multimedia project. When I work on more complex projects I end up using things like mock-ups, guide images, sketches, and storyboards, even if many are just for developing one little aspect. One example was when I was working on making an interactive flash menu with drop-down menus. Before hand, I knew absolutely nothing about how I would go about creating the menu, but with a lot of guesswork and trial-and-error, it came together... Same thing with my game-in-development.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that everyone- including you, Ovoon, if given the right tools and a fair amount of free time, can become good artists. I still call myself amateur, for I don't have any work in galleries or any of that, nor am I a recognized name in the world of art. If anyone wants a hand and a few insider tips/tutorial suggestions on creating additional content, I would be more than glad to help.

Ovoon
001 Forum Master

Postby Ovoon » Tue May 04, 2010 12:41 am

I have a creative eye, not a creative hand :P
DOOF

Samulis
001 Fanatic

Postby Samulis » Wed May 05, 2010 9:21 pm

I must say, I am not the handiest either... I cannot paint or draw very well, but I have a good eye for color and design using color and shapes to make my art. If you have a program like Photoshop (or GIMP) and a few pictures lying around, you won't even need a steady hand or a lesson in technique. If you want, I can give you some of my reference materials- mostly pictures of things like toy soldiers, fields, and such. I just take those and move them around, re-size them, recolor them, etc. But hey, if you're happy as you are, that's fine with me. As long as you keep thinking and seeing, then it's all ok with me. :)

Here's a .pdf version of my newest and best guide- Writing Music for 001!

http://petaworkshops.webs.com/Guide%20to%20Music.pdf
Last edited by Samulis on Sat May 08, 2010 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Automatically merged double post.

serrafina
001 Forum Master

Postby serrafina » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:29 pm

Very interesting work of art! And yes, that picture of the two trees is very beautiful and captivating. I like it as well, and I'm shocked to see Alaska as a very green place like Canada. Anyways, going back to the beginning, I noticed you do resources as well. You do have a nack for your resources of the middle ages, but you appear to lack timing certain individual resources like the archery building. It seems like you did work on it for details and design, but then rushed to finish it. I only say this because your roof seems to be mishandled, or just seemed like it. Remember to take your time on it, then it'll pull off. :] Map layouts look good, but do not type in black for dark textures on the mountains, instead use white to make the text stand out, so we can read it easily. Photos are stunning, including your work area desk. And your painting is wicked. :] Anyways, good luck in the future; you're very talented.

Next

Return to General Discussion