Turn Based Combat

Discussion pertaining to resources, stories/characters and gameplay ideas in this forum dedicated to games that are just a faint glow.
Forum rules
Do not create a topic offering to produce resources. Click here for the reason.

Please use above resources section of site so everyone can have access to the resources you create.
Lucifiend
001 Subscriber

Re: Turn Based Combat

Postby Lucifiend » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:15 pm

Now that the Christmas is over, I was wondering if there was interest in posting some more tutorial like info here in the thread about how I've set this up. I've put some info on here, but it's rather scattered around through various discussions without any real instructions; just thoughts and plans really. Do I start a new topic specifically discussing the various steps with examples and such? I know it can be sort of a pain digging through pages of discussion trying to find nuggets of information.

I'm feeling pretty cocky now that I got the AI behaving and already have plans to refine the scripts so that it is easier to make additions/adjustments to it later. I really try to limit how many variables are in each custom event, and a few are starting to get a little bloated. My preference is to keep them under 10 variables each because I find debugging to be a lot easier to decipher. After a while, the variable names start sounding similar and I have to spend some time in quiet meditation to determine what the heck I'm looking at.

My one regret is that I used subscription 001 instead of the free version. I was going to post the builds on my Onedrive so folks could poke around with it. Last time I checked, builds using sub don't load in the free version.

My current build repository (using Sub) is: https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ap6MWl8aosTwtEr9_0DNV60m5WSu

Juicy

Postby Juicy » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:57 pm

I for one would be very interested to see a tutorial about this. Looks great!

Lucifiend
001 Subscriber

Postby Lucifiend » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:00 pm

Well, after some pondering, I think if I can find some motivation I might write up a downloadable PDF. This way I don't have to deal with forum threads and the like. Plus, I can easily go in and revision it as I come up with better methods. I'd just place it with my WIP files on my OneDrive for anyone interested. I haven't made much progress lately because I've been, um, doing some 'research' playing Wasteland 2. Between that and XCOM I can see what works and what doesn't. One thing horrific about Wasteland is the interface using PS4. There is very little intuitive features about it and I constantly select the wrong function while in the midst of a life and death struggle in combat. I'm all about having a clean, logic interface for the player. I know some folks are keyboard players while others prefer the mouse. And then there are those hybrids that want to use both.

I've gotten to a point where I'm almost at a complete and stable turn based system. I'm integrating the player functions (which requires me to make HUD items to go along with it), but most of it is coming along quite nice. I spend more time in Photoshop tinkering with interface sprites than actually programming of late. It might be stalling tactics on my part, but it really is the only thing slowing me down. Programming wise I feel pretty confident I can pull everything off.

Zhuge
Insane 001 Forum Member

Postby Zhuge » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:12 am

Honestly the biggest challenge is plotting out what you're trying to make. Before you can even begin working on your system you need to have some idea on how you want it to work; what stats you plan on using, how movement works, attacking orders (if there are any), damage algorithms and so on. Without a plan, it's hard to explain how to start on the system itself. :)

At least that was the biggest challenge for me when I was playing with my project. The actual coding of a turn-based system is pretty straight forward.

Lucifiend
001 Subscriber

Postby Lucifiend » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:47 pm

Zhuge wrote:Honestly the biggest challenge is plotting out what you're trying to make.

I totally agree. I spent a whole lot of time fidgeting with rpg mechanics. Probably more than I spent on figuring out the scripting in 001. Some of the 001 side might be easier because this isn't my first go at making AI and such with it. I think the most important aspect of making this in 001 is keeping the system modular so I can add bits and pieces as I need them. I don't have the finished game spec'd out yet so I don't know all the bits and pieces I will need. I have a short list of weapons, armor and spells but I don't know exactly what kind of combat effects I will yet add. Stun, poison, bleeding, fire, terrain effects on movement, weather (I've started to implement this), special attacks and an endless list of other possibilities. For now, I'm working on a solid core system and then hoping I can plug in the rest as I need it.

If I do it right, I can create a base system that I can share with other folks and they can add their own pieces to it.

Previous

Return to Resource, Story and Level Design