Random Dungeon Generator (RDG) : 7/23/16

Discussion pertaining to resources, stories/characters and gameplay ideas in this forum dedicated to games that are just a faint glow.
Forum rules
Do not create a topic offering to produce resources. Click here for the reason.

Please use above resources section of site so everyone can have access to the resources you create.
vaderandlobster

Re: Random Dungeon Generator (RDG)

Postby vaderandlobster » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:58 pm

This is so great, can I use it on GGMAKER
Last edited by Gamerdude on Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed post
once I got mad at engine001 so I decided to use game maker, thats when I realized how good engine001 really is.

RamchuK_Ntertainment
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby RamchuK_Ntertainment » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:47 pm

@vaderandlobster
Yes. My RDG is exclusively designed for 001 Game Creator. I will provide licensing and release information as it becomes necessary in the near future. Stay tuned!

UPDATE: 7/13/16
I've taken the last couple of days to wrap some things up as I prepare to take the RDG into the next phase of development, which is primarily concerned with parameter regulation and other controls. I feel this is also the proper point in time for me to offer a general review of all the changes that have taken place and also offer some hints about the future, so here it goes.

3D & ONLINE MULTIPLAYER READY FEATURES
You can now generate worlds with defined depth and actual ceilings, which are 3D models. I realized it was important to make sure that 3D projects have this taken care of, so you don't have to worry about extra scripting in that regard. Entry heights (doors) are also variable with proper rendering parameters.

After learning about upcoming network features, I also realized that it's of outmost urgency to prepare the RDG for online play. I have therefore added a seeding system which you can read more about on the main page. Greater details will be available in the PDF Documentation that comes standard with the RDG.

MINIMALISTIC SAVE COMPATIBILITY
This is more of a mention than a revelation; the implemented seeding system allows you to make use of minimalistic saving, since you will be able to load worlds based on used seeds whenever desired.

CUSTOM EVENTS (CEs) IN RDG PACKAGE
CEs.png
CEs.png (3.4 KiB) Viewed 1710 times

I am confident that you will love my RDG in its current and future states, but nothing is more satisfying than knowing that you have a complete package of things to go along with it. The main CE comes with various supplementary scripts that you will need if you plan to make use of the built-in seeding system. Currently, this includes a number generator, a seeded probability (SP) branch, and a seeded random (SR) branch. They are very similar if not identical to the functions provided by 001, so you will have absolutely no confusion between them whatsoever. NOTE: The SP Branch is much like a Chance Branch, while an SR Branch is similar to the default Random Branch with the exception of only two allowed possibilities as of right now.

MAIN CE
This is the disorganized version of the RDG that you will get to work with. Of course, it will become better organized before it is finalized.
RDG_CE.png

FPS ANYONE?
Here are some screenshots that capture the beauty of procedural worlds built by my RDG from the inside.
fps_trial_1.png
fps_trial_2.png

DEMONSTRATION PROJECT
RDG Demo v1.1 has been uploaded! You can check it out here. I've had to make a tough call and set new limits to the demonstration, so everything is regulated by the generator to give you a sense of ‘potential’ worlds while it is also presented from an FPS perspective. I am currently unsure on whether or not I will merge the regular demonstration, which features a world preview, with the FPS Demo.
Travesty: 3D Survival - WIP >>> Forum Topic
University of Washington (BABA)
-REGT- Ramchuk Entertainment Games Team
Strategy/Action/Adventure
Copyrighted©2008-2017

Wonderland
001 Forum Master

Re: Random Dungeon Generator (RDG) : 7/13/16

Postby Wonderland » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:57 pm

Just tried it, and I'd love to get my hands on the actual custom events! I can certainly see it coming in handy.

P.S. Judging by your starting post in this topic, you're really good at marketing speak ha ha.

evs
001 Admirer

Postby evs » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:27 am

havent tried it yet, been waiting for it for years. your work must conitue. definately worth real money.

vaderandlobster

Postby vaderandlobster » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:26 pm

RamchuK_Ntertainment wrote:@vaderandlobster
Yes. My RDG is exclusively designed for 001 Game Creator. I will provide licensing and release information as it becomes necessary in the near future. Stay tuned!

I've taken the last couple of days to wrap some things up as I prepare to take the RDG into the next phase of development, which is primarily concerned with parameter regulation and other controls. I feel this is also the proper point in time for me to offer a general review of all the changes that have taken place and also offer some hints about the future, so here it goes.

You can now generate worlds with defined depth and actual ceilings, which are 3D models. I realized it was important to make sure that 3D projects have this taken care of, so you don't have to worry about extra scripting in that regard. Entry heights (doors) are also variable with proper rendering parameters.

After learning about upcoming network features, I also realized that it's of outmost urgency to prepare the RDG for online play. I have therefore added a seeding system which you can read more about on the main page. Greater details will be available in the PDF Documentation that comes standard with the RDG.

This is more of a mention than a revelation; the implemented seeding system allows you to make use of minimalistic saving, since you will be able to load worlds based on used seeds whenever desired.

CEs.png

I am confident that you will love my RDG in its current and future states, but nothing is more satisfying than knowing that you have a complete package of things to go along with it. The main CE comes with various supplementary scripts that you will need if you plan to make use of the built-in seeding system. Currently, this includes a number generator, a seeded probability (SP) branch, and a seeded random (SR) branch. They are very similar if not identical to the functions provided by 001, so you will have absolutely no confusion between them whatsoever. NOTE: The SP Branch is much like a Chance Branch, while an SR Branch is similar to the default Random Branch with the exception of only two allowed possibilities as of right now.

MAIN CE
This is the disorganized version of the RDG that you will get to work with. Of course, it will become better organized before it is finalized.
RDG_CE.png

FPS ANYONE?
Here are some screenshots that capture the beauty of procedural worlds built by my RDG from the inside.
fps_trial_1.png
fps_trial_2.png

DEMONSTRATION PROJECT
RDG Demo v1.1 has been uploaded! You can check it out [url=http://www.engine001.com/games/Random%20Dungeon%20Generator%20%28RDG%29_3532.htm]here[/url]. I've had to make a tough call and set new limits to the demonstration, so everything is regulated by the generator to give you a sense of ‘potential’ worlds while it is also presented from an FPS perspective. I am currently unsure on whether or not I will merge the regular demonstration, which features a world preview, with the FPS Demo.

This is so amazing!!!!

RamchuK_Ntertainment wrote:@vaderandlobster

CEs.png

MAIN CE
RDG_CE.png

FPS ANYONE?
fps_trial_1.png
fps_trial_2.png

DEMONSTRATION PROJECT
RDG Demo v1.1 has been uploaded! You can check it out here. I've had to make a tough call and set new limits to the demonstration, so everything is regulated by the generator to give you a sense of ‘potential’ worlds while it is also presented from an FPS perspective. I am currently unsure on whether or not I will merge the regular demonstration, which features a world preview, with the FPS Demo.

This is so amazing!!!!
Last edited by vaderandlobster on Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Automatically merged double post.
once I got mad at engine001 so I decided to use game maker, thats when I realized how good engine001 really is.

evs
001 Admirer

Postby evs » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:40 am

1. Would you ever use an RDG for personal projects or to aid in development? (Exp.)
-yes, that sounds great.
2. What qualifies as an exceptional dungeon generator? (Exp.)
- for exceptional? well this is kind of like the next question, but ideally it would create fun, varied and inspiring spaces, not neccesarily realistic as much as just fun, formostly
3. What are 3 'must-have' features that an RDG should have? (List.)
-input of personalised graphics (including semi random placement of lower objects like bookcases as chests and so forth, if at all possible).
-ability to manually add and take away from a generated space (i.e. generated for the game designer, not neccesarily generated at time of playing)
-different Z layers would be nice, small staircases and such within a floor/dungeon. i dont think this is essential though, im just writing off the top of my head so to speak. i might think of something better later.
4. Do you see REGT's RDG as unique or following a common trend? (Exp.)
-no idea, i have tried it out though. its seems to generate nicely, but be a bit sparse and rooms seem samey (i played it for like all of 35 seconds though). i think it would work well with my first and second suggestion above.
5. How much would you be willing to pay for an RDG of current/future quality? (#)
-if it works how id like it to, its a powerfull tool to add to an already great engine. $50 Australian dollars certainly wouldnt be too much to ask, i would consider $50 U.S. even. it depends what your asking, you know how many hours your putting into it
P.S. Youv excelled here. really a great project, made by a real game designer.

RamchuK_Ntertainment
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby RamchuK_Ntertainment » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:25 pm

@Wonderland
I can only say so little about the project at hand, sometimes a good few words is better than dozens of dull descriptions. :)

@vaderandlobster
I'm glad to know you're loving it thus far!

@evs
You've come just at the right time for an update! Nevertheless, I'd still like to comment on your contributions.

To begin with, I love how you mentioned "inspiring" spaces, as this is exactly what I hope some users to get from this. I feel that randomized content is always very project-specific and usually not as perfect as one may desire it to be, so being able to have a hand-on tool that can inspire levels for projects is something that I believe will be very useful to certain developers. As with one of the features you've mentioned, direct Map Editor functionality is already in the works and I'm hoping to share about this more in some other update in the near future. As far as personalized artwork is concerned and other things, here is the update!

UPDATE: 7/23/16
Last time around I got to mentioning the next few steps in the developmental process and today is the day it has been done. As of now, all available parameters to date are finalized and regulated through the safety module which ensures that all variables are properly set and will not result in an infinite loop of any sort. With this, one new parameter that is to be introduced (though it has showed up on a screenshot in the last update) is the Floor Tile-Set control, which is essentially required to distinguish floor tiles from wall tiles, as both are part of the "Floor" layer.

SUPPLEMENTARY EVENTS
Events.png
Events.png (5.53 KiB) Viewed 1624 times

The new list of events includes external tile rendering events (described below), as well as a totally random 'Crosshair Coordination' event, please ignore it. On topic, I have improved the Seeded Random Branch to be more expansive by offering users to choose the amount of possibilities desired (2 - 10).
SR.png
SR.png (2.89 KiB) Viewed 1624 times

TILE VARIABILITY SUPPORT
Up until this point, tiles were rendered from within the massive RDG script and while it seems self-explanatory, this was poor practice as this meant that in order to change tile specifications, one is to go inside the many branches of the script in order to change the desired tiles to be rendered. In this update, I've introduced a solution that you will definitely appreciate, especially if you have already experienced the unnecessary frustration of entering and exiting scripts just to make minor changes. Now, you simply have the choice of adjusting the particular rendering layer by visiting the corresponding event. Inside, you would simply make the desired changes and exit without worries. Inside of each event, users can also easily render variable tiles by picking a random tile within a range or actually scripting a custom system to pick tiles based on chance and so forth. The new system in place is ideal because it offers ultra-fast variability (if desired by the user) and makes scripting tile-based events a lot easier, since each affected layer is exposed individually.
1_2_1.png
1_2_2.png
1_2_3.png

Surely, all this deals only with room rendering and not anything content-specific on the inside, so to provide a little insight, here is the plan as it concerns object generation within the dungeons.

OBJECT GENERATION
Since I have taken the route of separating certain RDG functions into separate Custom Events (CEs), it seems inevitably important to make better use of this scheme by utilizing the concept for a variety of things. Filling empty rooms and hallways with gameplay-oriented content is definitely part of this. The challenge, however, is finding the right things to add and keep certain things out, with purpose. It has already been mentioned in the past that highly project-specific features should be left out for the better, or at least carefully considered. This is true for just about anything that deals with actual world manipulation. Speaking of this reminds me that going above the scope of neutrality is not something that I wish to do, as my RDG is not a 'project generator', only a mere tool to help one's imagination become reality in the form of an actual project that deploys the concepts offered. So then, where is the line? What can be allowed and what should be kept out? The answer lies in one's definition of a dungeon and here is where my imagination comes into play.

I would like to give everyone a fair opportunity to create something amazing with ease, but I cannot steer content by offering one feature instead of the other. What I can do, is offer features that may serve an optional purpose, but rather standard. Something I have in mind is Treasure Chest placement, which seems essential within the context of a dungeon. Things like such are likely to be considered more in-depth to see how I can implement them for most universal purposes. As far as other things are concerned, such as furniture and so forth, I'd appreciate everyone's input to see what is commonly desired and how I can implement those things as well.

@evs
I've considered multi-platform designs previously, allowing multiple floors and varied access, since this would indeed be pretty cool, especially since this would add a lot more depth to the dungeons within a single map, but I've come to realize that this wouldn't be as appropriate as I have thought before. Primarily this is due to the fact that performance is a huge concern and rendering a lot of collision objects (such as walls) would really show itself negatively. The best practice for multi-platforms as of now would be to manually generate staircases up or down and then either use these for level access or individual rooms; what this would allow users to do is explore greater maps by not sacrificing performance. Things like staircases though is something that I'm already considering by default though, aka 'Level Access Points'. I won't know for sure until I figure out the best way to approach general object placement.

Check out the new version! http://www.engine001.com/games/Random%20Dungeon%20Generator%20%28RDG%29_3532.htm
Copyrighted©2008-2017

evs
001 Admirer

Re: Random Dungeon Generator (RDG) : 7/23/16

Postby evs » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:34 pm

in response to the last: yes i see, thats fair enough, personally im just looking forward to being able to generate a big section of floor/wall rooms for a dungeon, things like stairs and furniture and clutter can be added in later. any idea when i might be able to include this RDG in a game?

so i had a go at making my own procedural dungeon generation.. i would have to say that hallways should be at least a few tiles wide, otherwise any game using the rdg would have to use 3d models and make them tiny, then your textures would look extremely blocky.
Last edited by evs on Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Automatically merged double post.

RamchuK_Ntertainment
Ultimate 001 Member

Postby RamchuK_Ntertainment » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:54 am

@evs
I have not had much time to revisit this project since my last update, but much of what I had completed is still in tact and works well. Some things need tweaking to accommodate for the changes made to 001 Game Creator, but otherwise, it's in a very functional condition. With this, I'd like to say that I have not abandoned my plan to release this as a resource, but at the given moment I have new priorities and wish to pursue those firsthand. My dearest apologies for not being timely on this, but if great interest is born from the community, I may reconsider my standing.

My inspiration for 1-tile corridors stems from classic dungeon-crawlers, which was my primary direction. It was somewhere in the journey of early development when I realized that it could be much more than that and thus my implementation of unique tactics to generate the world as is. I can probably consider adding the functionality of corridor width selection, but I am not positive at this time if this would be the proper decision to make. Understandably my voidance of this reduces the potential consumer audience, but I found 1-tile corridors to be sufficient for both 2D dungeon-crawler and 3D exploration purposes. As far as image quality is concerned, it is much easier to render a single image at a higher resolution than multiple images at a lower resolution. It's very much a compromise. It is very possible to maintain small scales within the engine but use better quality resources for the grand effect. Much of my practice revolves around the concepts of minimalism and I have learned that quantity hurts much more than quality, therefore I stand beside my point. I hope some can agree. This does present some discomfort for developers in certain areas, but the quality of the final product is comparable.
Copyrighted©2008-2017

evs
001 Admirer

Postby evs » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:16 am

weve discovered whilst you were away from keyboard, that its possible to cram a larger texture into a 32x32 tile (and wallset) so its not a problem

PreviousNext

Return to Resource, Story and Level Design