First Draft World Map

Discussion pertaining to resources, stories/characters and gameplay ideas in this forum dedicated to games that are just a faint glow.
Forum rules
Do not create a topic offering to produce resources. Click here for the reason.

Please use above resources section of site so everyone can have access to the resources you create.
thebluejester
001 Enthusiast

First Draft World Map

Postby thebluejester » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:51 am

I am so excited about this I just had to share it. It's the first draft of my world map. Ahhhhh!

Map (1).jpg

While subject to a name change it's the continent of Aurora.

:D

Mr.Numbers
001 Support

Re: First Draft World Map

Postby Mr.Numbers » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:26 pm

Looks amazing man! Love the style! :D
I AM THE ALL MIGHTY SCRIPTING MASTER
Please do not PM me with Engine 001 related questions, rather post on the forums. ;)

thebluejester
001 Enthusiast

Postby thebluejester » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:30 pm

For RPG's / Games where a world map makes sense I totally recommend drawing one out even it's is on scrap paper.

I learned lots from the experience and it poked holes in parts of my story and had me coming up with more ideas and depth.
A lot of this map is actually going to rearranged, flip flop zones. Such a good experience!

I used an online tool to do this btw, I am no artist. Haha.
http://inkarnate.com/

evs
001 Admirer

Postby evs » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:22 pm

it looks grand. ripe for adventure
thanks for sharing the link to the mapping thing too, ill check that out.. wow! thats such an excellent program. what a great help/look.
ive been searching for similar programs lately. i ended up making some ridiculous scroll coloured 3d map objects. this looks way better.
how long did you spend designing your map so far?

thebluejester
001 Enthusiast

Postby thebluejester » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:14 pm

I think it took about 2hrs. But that was mostly me learning how to use the tool. I'd find a new option or have an idea and then redo big sections. As far as I can tell there is no guide for using it at the moment, but it is fairly straight forward. I do worry once it becomes a paid tools what the cost and licensing will be like.

Another tool I found is: http://fantasynamegenerators.com/map-creator.php
It's that parchment/Sepia style of map that I think you were just describing. So maybe you could make a map with that and then use the artwork you've made to finish it off?

Another idea is if you want the parchment look, do the map in the first tool and then throw it into an online photo filter tool. I've been paying around with the drawing style ones.

Now I'm off to try and fix my HUD/Menus/UI which are just not working for me style/art wise at the moment. :S

Return to Resource, Story and Level Design