Why the first rule?

Discussion pertaining to resources, stories/characters and gameplay ideas in this forum dedicated to games that are just a faint glow.
Forum rules
Do not create a topic offering to produce resources. Click here for the reason.

Please use above resources section of site so everyone can have access to the resources you create.
Mike
001 Co-Founder

Why the first rule?

Postby Mike » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:09 pm

It has come to my attention that some people feel that the rule of "Do not create a topic offering to produce resources." is unfounded and ridiculous. I'd like to stress that this is not one person - as you'll soon see. I would just like to take a moment to explain its history and why it's asked of people.

How do you know? Have you ever allowed it?
After about five threads of "I will make you resources if they fall under these completely unrelated categories and guidelines", it got a bit ridiculous. Why? Well, people would either post in all five of these threads, with the same request, having multiple people work on it. Otherwise, those people would just post in one of the threads, and the person maintaining that thread would leave the forums and the resource would never get done.

Well, if we just had one topic like this - this way, everything would all be in one place!
Having every resource imaginable all in one thread, defeats the purpose of the resources site section, and the resources forum section. This way, people can have a topic concerning a particular resource or a set of related resources, being requested. When someone uses the search feature, they'll instantly see the resource has been posted, or at the very least, has been requested - in the latter case, they then can merely post saying they'd also love to see it.

Okay... But I just hate going through all the topics and posting in each one about how I'm going to work on it.
Well, first of all, you shouldn't tackle every single resource topic to begin with. It's very courageous and admirable, but it disallows others from wanting to help. Merely post in one that you're working on it, work on it, post the result, and that's that. Then, going back to what I previously said, someone searching can merely see it in the resources section, for those who aren't forum-goers.

Hmm.. But as a resource maker, I should be able to post a bunch of resources I've made!
Again, that's the whole purpose of the resources section. You have a whole page dedicated to you, in a visible way, to anyone who visits the site. That's quite the respect right there, and I just hope that is enough. However, if you have a bunch of related resources that you want to show that you uploaded to the site, then sure, show off - it's been done before, and we've never had a problem with that. Just be sure to have them uploaded - not everyone checks the forums.

Mr.Numbers
001 Support

Re: Why the first rule?

Postby Mr.Numbers » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:54 pm

Amen, but i wonder why no one has complained about my hud shop yet :o hmmm
I AM THE ALL MIGHTY SCRIPTING MASTER
Please do not PM me with Engine 001 related questions, rather post on the forums. ;)

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:33 pm

Well, the HUD shop is mildly a specific set of resources. It's a rare exception really.

MasterChief0020
001 Supporter

Postby MasterChief0020 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:08 am

I personaly think the hud shop should be shut down..I dont have anything against the creator..but if we arent aloud to take requests on making things...then other people sould be eather..its only fair=] No exceptions=]

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:25 am

Maybe there could be a HUD sub-section to the resources discussion forum? Hmm.

Mr.Numbers
001 Support

Postby Mr.Numbers » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:56 am

No there shouldent :D Really though, most people make topics like:

TITLE: Resource Making!

BODY:
Welcome to my resource shop! Here, i can make ANY resouce for you! This includes....

Conclusion: Most people make topics about how they can make ANY resource for you, thus getting locked.

The main reason why my hud show SHOULD stay open is, There is usualy only 1 hud in a game. While there are like 50 items and such. I am also VERY sucsefull in my hud shop as it stands. I also dont ask very much for my huds, just simple (Even tiny little itsy bitsy) credit. I duno, its your choice if you think it should stay open or not. The last thing i have too say it, this makes it so it gives people a variaty of choices of huds to chose from.

The hud shop SHOULD live untill mike makes hud's exportable and able too put on the website. This way it makes the huds more neat and tidy so people dont have too look through pages and pages of reasource's.

The only other alternative i can think about it:

Make 2 subforums for huds, one: "Hud Requests" and the other one: "Finished Huds"
This will be the only way i can agree too making sub forums ;)
I AM THE ALL MIGHTY SCRIPTING MASTER
Please do not PM me with Engine 001 related questions, rather post on the forums. ;)

Mike
001 Co-Founder

Postby Mike » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:01 am

I had already made the subforum prior to reading your post - but it's true, all the HUDs are all packed into that one thing, and now there's really no structure to it - again, the purpose of a forum. I think the resources section is getting busy, and perhaps we'll have sub-sections as time goes by - but I think it's a good idea. HUD, but also interfaces, especially once waiting screens and interactive interfaces (esc menu) come in, it'll be a good place to talk about it there.

hellblade
001 Forum Master

Postby hellblade » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:52 am

Thats good, I was going to PM you and complain about it sometime but I always ran out of time lol

reaper560
001 Fanatic

Postby reaper560 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:19 pm

lol.
Didn't the hud shop get shut down already? :o

Gamerdude
001 Support

Postby Gamerdude » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:01 am

Ages ago. This topic is from June.

Next